Sensient

Sensient Reviews

Updated February 15, 2015
Updated February 15, 2015

Paul Manning

Pros
  • Nice offices and good benefits, but not good enough to tolerare the disrespectful manners of the management (in 6 reviews)

• The ONLY pro to this company was the salary and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the dress code would be a con since it is formal business attire 5 days a week (in 12 reviews)

• Things can go well until there is some problem with upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn - tons of wonderful experienced staff in R&D

Former Intern - R&D Applications in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Intern - R&D Applications in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sensient as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I can only speak as an intern, but my time at Sentient was fantastic! I worked with some people who have been in the industry ranging from 7-20+ years and they all have so much great knowledge and experience to share. As for training, I just jumped right in and learned from experience, which is exactly how I like to learn. All my questions were answered and more - my coworkers made sure to show me things when they had the chance. I got a thorough view of how a major flavor house runs and made some great connections with the employees in R&D

Cons

Little interaction with the business side...Also, it is a little difficult if you are expecting a huge young crowd that likes to go out together since I didn't see as much of that happening. I heard a fair few complaints from full-time about a few top-down decisions, but I will not note that as my personal con since I was not there long enough to experience the repercussions of some of the executive decisions being made.

It would be nice to have a more relaxed culture (everyone is in business professional), and maybe even an all-campus event during the summer when it's nice out. The Hoffman Estates campus is beautiful and when you keep the employees happy and engaged in a positive environment the productivity will definitely increase.

They don't care about their employees. Would not recommend this place to anyway.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sensient full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NOTHING. There might be some pros in the locations outside of Milwaukee, but seriously, there are none at the Corporate location.

Cons

Poor management, top to bottom. In fact, most are very rude and condescending. The company and the management does not care about their employees. Raises are small. All the money goes to the rudest top level managers. They have a 401k matching, but it is not given in each pay period, instead, they hold on to the match and give it in one lump sum. Corporate doesn't value your work or contributions. You'll never hear that you did a good job. There is no structure around performance planning, employee development, etc. There is no structure on anything in corporate. It's a wonder they can even run this business. You are strongly advised to shave facial hair. They care much more about your appearance than your performance or personality.

They all need training on how to manage, engage and motivate their employees. They don't even realize that this would make the company more successful. Get off your high horses. You're just a normal person, not any better than anyone else.

Its okay if your in school

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Turlock, CA

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible with school schedual. Fair health insurancde

Cons

Managment treats temps unfairly. Please work on it.

Your whole life will be your job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sensient

Pros

Can climb up the corporate ladder fast (maybe too fast)
    Very entrepreneurial - key decisions can be made at lower levels

Cons

zero work life balance
    manage by fear
    no sense of community
    constant state of change

put a key focus on increasing moral by treating your employees like people, not robots.

A change would do them good.

I worked at Sensient full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The over-the-top culture of accountability means that you typcially get the internal support you need. This is critical to a success if you're customer-facing and a welcome change from today's "matrix" organizations. You will likley be more disciplined in the environment they've created.

Cons

The culture is extremely conservative, individuality is discouraged and honest feedback is often not received well by Management. Although, you may not always know that right away due to the passive/aggresive way issues are handled across the orangization. They are unapologetic regarding about their HR policies, some of which are antiquated and sexist. For Salespeople, the excessive turnover makes it difficult to gain trust with customers.

not worth your time

I have been working at Sensient

Pros

there are good people there, that's about it

Cons

too many to list, sometimes it feels like working back in 1930's wearing a tie, sometimes it's like military

value your employees and hang on to the good ones, management needs to stop honoring some promises that someone made long time ago and focus on the quality of people and who does what, WITHOUT sugarcoating it. You'll never get ahead if it's always gonna be about image and perception.

Positive Reviews of Sensient are Bunk

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall. I was very happy with co-workers; they were a lot more loyal to the company than the company deserved. Sensient paid reasonably well and were fair on expenses.

Cons

Unless Paul Manniing can change his father's top-down corporate culture (and a I seriously doubt he can or even wants to make the change), Sensient will continue to hemorrhage their best people and staff their competitors and other companies in the food business. At my division, virtually all the top performers in sales, purchasing and operational management have left in the past few years AND HAVE YET TO BE REPLACED. Sensient is losing their best customers in Flavors, Natural Flavors and the Color division and are selling second-tier customers at discounted prices. I believe that an outside take-over from the Manning family is the only true long-term hope for Sensient. The positive reviews listed fly in the face of what I'm hearing from Sensient people; I suspect they are planted!

Leave

Large company with small company feel.

I have been working at Sensient full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a very stable company that prides itself on excellence and being a leader in the industry. The companies promotes from within first giving. This model allows the company to get raw and real-time information from its employees. The company utilizes these ideas and information from all levels of employees. Management is very approachable. As a new employee, my ideas and experience were welcomed and utilized during my first week. Senior management takes the time to be involved and attend every communication meeting. These meeting are early morning and late evening.

Cons

There are many Union like rules and policies but the company is not and does not want to be unionized. Policies and methods have been in practice for years. This includes training, information that is presented during onboarding, and how employees move within the company. Some of these things are outdated. However, the company has recognized this and is currently working to change/update these policies and methods.

Continue to talk to all levels of the employees.

EMT

Current Employee - Dental Assiting in Murphys, CA
    Current Employee - Dental Assiting in Murphys, CA

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

have had the experience and skills to be able to do safety inspections of a industrial plant

Cons

Drive time to work became 1 hour and half communte

I am looking for something that can give me a position that will provide me with time with my family and where I can grow and move up in the company

Lack of consistency in management practices, employee retention and transparency in business strategy.

I worked at Sensient full-time

Pros

There seem to be changes beginning with the new CEO but it remains to be seen what the outcomes will be.

Management gives you freedom to define new initiatives.

Cons

My experience has been that this company gives lip service to changing but has yet to accomplish relevant change as it applies to employees ability to effectively do their jobs.

Management does not set employees up for success whether you are working on a new initiative or a routine one. They will definitely give you enough rope to hang yourself with very little candid feedback until it's too late.

While it is a flat structure, the mentality is still very hierarchical. Plans or edicts are handed downward with very little (apparent) input from those who are assigned to execute the initiatives.

The circus that ensues when C-suite executive visits a plant or office is ridiculous and detracts from productivity.

There is a lot of employee turnover.

There are no perks like working from home or casual dress code for those positions where it may be appropriate.

Manager with direct reports could benefit greatly from training on how to be a good coach, mentor and support for their employees.
    A focus needs to be placed on outlining clear expectations as well as timely constructive feedback from the very top to the very bottom of the organization.

Employing an employee survey like Gallup Engagement Survey could be an extremely effective tool to understand and increase the productivity and retention of employees.