Sensient

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.1

Paul Manning

Pros
  • Nice offices and good benefits, but not good enough to tolerare the disrespectful manners of the management (in 6 reviews)

• The ONLY pro to this company was the salary and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the dress code would be a con since it is formal business attire 5 days a week (in 12 reviews)

• Things can go well until there is some problem with upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn - tons of wonderful experienced staff in R&D

Former Employee - R&D Applications in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - R&D Applications in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sensient as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I can only speak as an intern, but my time at Sentient was fantastic! I worked with some people who have been in the industry ranging from 7-20+ years and they all have so much great knowledge and experience to share. As for training, I just jumped right in and learned from experience, which is exactly how I like to learn. All my questions were answered and more - my coworkers made sure to show me things when they had the chance. I got a thorough view of how a major flavor house runs and made some great connections with the employees in R&D

Cons

Little interaction with the business side...Also, it is a little difficult if you are expecting a huge young crowd that likes to go out together since I didn't see as much of that happening. I heard a fair few complaints from full-time about a few top-down decisions, but I will not note that as my personal con since I was not there long enough to experience the repercussions of some of the executive decisions being made.

It would be nice to have a more relaxed culture (everyone is in business professional), and maybe even an all-campus event during the summer when it's nice out. The Hoffman Estates campus is beautiful and when you keep the employees happy and engaged in a positive environment the productivity will definitely increase.

not worth your time

I have been working at Sensient

Pros

there are good people there, that's about it

Cons

too many to list, sometimes it feels like working back in 1930's wearing a tie, sometimes it's like military

value your employees and hang on to the good ones, management needs to stop honoring some promises that someone made long time ago and focus on the quality of people and who does what, WITHOUT sugarcoating it. You'll never get ahead if it's always gonna be about image and perception.

EMT

Current Employee - Dental Assiting in Murphys, CA
    Current Employee - Dental Assiting in Murphys, CA

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

have had the experience and skills to be able to do safety inspections of a industrial plant

Cons

Drive time to work became 1 hour and half communte

I am looking for something that can give me a position that will provide me with time with my family and where I can grow and move up in the company

Recent Hire- - Great Interview & On Boarding Experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative Trainee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative Trainee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The position for which I initially interviewed would have been considered a lateral move from my previous position. Upon interviewing with the HR Manager, she immediately recognized many of my strengths. She went above and beyond to look elsewhere in the company to find a role that would be more challenging, rewarding, and generally a better fit for my capabilities. I was later contacted to come back to interview for a higher level position within a different department.

Upon accepting the company’s offer, the position I filled is a developmental role in which I learn all areas of the business over an extended period of time. Once fully trained, I will move into an Outside Sales/Account Manager role. This is the first time my department has had someone in the Sales Rep Trainee program but other departments have found success in filling their Account Manager openings with these trainees. I did not have all of the experience the company requires for an Account Manager; however, this program was designed for the company to train someone like myself who may have the capability to learn the technical side of the business and mold them into a successful Account Manager. This was an amazing entry point for someone who has great work experience but would thrive in a technical and competitive environment at a company that holds their employees to high standards and expectations.

Benefits and compensation are absolute positives as well.

Cons

There were a few struggles with determining the proper place to begin training; however, it was really because each area of the department could use pieces of my skills and time. While things were scattered very early on, my training plan has come together nicely. Also, it wasn't the worst thing to be needed by several different areas upon starting at a new company.

The dress code is business formal. This is something I thought would be very difficult to get used but I found that I actually enjoyed working in such a professional environment. Instead of fighting this part of the culture, I found it very easy to embrace it.

Continue to think of outside the box ways to help employees grow and develop with the company as you have with the Sales Rep Trainee program. Hopefully this is and will be a great example of when you invest in employees and it results in a positive return.

Positive Reviews of Sensient are Bunk

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall. I was very happy with co-workers; they were a lot more loyal to the company than the company deserved. Sensient paid reasonably well and were fair on expenses.

Cons

Unless Paul Manniing can change his father's top-down corporate culture (and a I seriously doubt he can or even wants to make the change), Sensient will continue to hemorrhage their best people and staff their competitors and other companies in the food business. At my division, virtually all the top performers in sales, purchasing and operational management have left in the past few years AND HAVE YET TO BE REPLACED. Sensient is losing their best customers in Flavors, Natural Flavors and the Color division and are selling second-tier customers at discounted prices. I believe that an outside take-over from the Manning family is the only true long-term hope for Sensient. The positive reviews listed fly in the face of what I'm hearing from Sensient people; I suspect they are planted!

Leave

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Although the environment is a formal one, I find the people to be highly qualified, engaged in their work and extremely friendly and willing to help others. Management is easily accessible. Expected to conduct job with minimal supervision, but manager is their to provide support when needed.

Cons

The office is not in the best area of town. However, the office is fenced in and guarded by security.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management has an open door policy which is nice and works. Salary is very competitive and the benefits are very good. Management holds their employees accountable and have high but achievable expectations. There are endless opportunities for growth at Sensient.

Cons

The 401K company match is low for a corporate of this size.

Continue to stay up to date with regards to all technology and continue to rate your employees as your best asset.

Long-term Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that is always looking for new ideas and new team members to help with the increase of business. There is always room for growth and movement within the company. Teamwork is valued not only with the plant employees, but also with management and supervisors. My experience showed me that this is a company that expects the best out of every employee and wants the employees to know the importance of teamwork and communication.

Cons

Sensient seems to be always changing, this makes for a ever-changing job description. Everyday is a new challenge, however, this can be very rewarding.

Communication is Key.

Well established company with high expectations of its employees

I have been working at Sensient full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment
    Solid benefits - the company is well established and provides accordingly for its employees
    Very experienced & knowledgeable senior staff members

Cons

Somewhat of a stressful environment. Employees are expected to bring a certain level of knowledge with them upon being hired. At times it feels like there is more focus on maintaining office culture and reputation than on specific job training.

Large company with small company feel.

I have been working at Sensient full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a very stable company that prides itself on excellence and being a leader in the industry. The companies promotes from within first giving. This model allows the company to get raw and real-time information from its employees. The company utilizes these ideas and information from all levels of employees. Management is very approachable. As a new employee, my ideas and experience were welcomed and utilized during my first week. Senior management takes the time to be involved and attend every communication meeting. These meeting are early morning and late evening.

Cons

There are many Union like rules and policies but the company is not and does not want to be unionized. Policies and methods have been in practice for years. This includes training, information that is presented during onboarding, and how employees move within the company. Some of these things are outdated. However, the company has recognized this and is currently working to change/update these policies and methods.

Continue to talk to all levels of the employees.