Sensient

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Paul Manning

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

I have been working at Sensient full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits.Training and safety have gotten better.Helpful co-worker(s) that encourage you to be better than average. Impressed with the level of technical knowledge of some of the production workers.

ConsCulture of fear-based,"yes man" management.Supervision has "crack the whip" stance that really isn't necessary and counter productive micro managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect amongst yourselves and to your subordinates. Get over yourselves and listen. Credentials and titles mean nothing if we can't function as a team from top to bottom.

If you have a military background, this may be the place for you. If not, you will regret working for this company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sensient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI had a real nice office and a paycheck. The benefits were better than most companies. My co-workers were great people.

ConsThe dress code was archaic, nepotism was the norm, and the C-level managers were self involved and remarkably sure of their dismal abilities to run a company well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your company, not you. Treat them like the valuable assets they are because without them, you are nothing but stuffed shirts.

Their past greed and arrogance are catching up with them

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sensient full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHigh pay and good benifits. They have to or no one would work there.

ConsA fear driven style of management. You never know if you are the next one to be walked out the door. Nothing is ever good enough in managment's eyes. All activities are based on what will make the monthly or quarterly number. No thought given about the long term health of the business and certainly no thought about the customers. Truely unbelievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of top level "family" managment. Period.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sensient full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are good people there but most leave. They pay well because they have to to attract people to go there. Their products are good, but they don't focus on customers as partners, only a means to make more money.

ConsLeadership, if you want to call it that, is by fear, intimidation and creating a stressful environment. They want employees to be "uncomfortable" when management is in the room and they still wear suits and ties and require customers and suppliers to as well if they visit. They talk about empowerment, but. It is a joke. Step out of line and you will quickly be shown the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpare the employees any more pain and step down. Take your money and let someone else create a positive, innovative and enjoyable place to work where people want to come to work and not dread it.

Overall positive experience. The company had a lot of talented and hard working people who were a pleasure to work with

Technical Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sensient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company was big enough to offer a variety of career opportunities but small enough to allow individuals to have a significant impact on the business. Salary and benefits are comparable to industry standards.

ConsIndianapolis location is somewhat limited compared to New York or other East coast locations, but housing and cost of living are very reasonable.

Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sensient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has product I'm proud to work with. We have a diverse and interesting staff that brings many different points of view to the work. The new office space is really nice. The people are what makes the company. The new managment say they want to make changes-be different than "what we had before". I see strides being made to implement that.

ConsThe company has only been in it's current location for less than 6 months and we are still working through some transition pains from our corporate relocation.The employee benefits need to be updated to be current with others in the industry. Not much recognition for individual employees. More effort needs to be made if the company really wants to be different/better than in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the people you hire do their jobs! You hired us for a reason.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Top notch company that allows you to be your best and have significant impact.

Manager Supply Chain (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sensient full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* You are given freedom to make a significant difference
* Fast moving & very good compensation
* If you perform - you will be rewarded.
* Super benefits (Insurance, 401K match, vacation, ESOP, etc.)

Cons* Further enhancement of training programs would be a positive.
* Higher 401K match would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on current strategy for sales and profit enhancements. Stock has done extremely well over the last several years.

Good opportunity for advancement

I have been working at Sensient full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSensient Flavors has a lot of opportunities for advancement. I have been promoted several times with Flavors. The management will support you in working towards your goals and they will help make sure you have the skills to be successful in your next position.

ConsThe dress code is formal, which means suits and ties. Flavors should promote casual Fridays.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mid-tier managers really look after their employees. This makes Sensient a good place to work.

Dynamic success driven company. If you want to win this is the place to be.

Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sensient full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast paced and flexible. Sensient is in a very competitive industry. We work with worldclass customers that have high expectations and demands. Sensients major competitors are very capable and compete for every piece of business. To succeed at Sensient you have to have great capabilities, and are willing to learn and adapt. It's a place for winners.

ConsThere can be pressure to deliver. However the satisfaction of competing and winning make up for this. The company is undergoing rapid change and this does cause tensions. Some colleagues are better able to cope than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focussed and keep to the course. Enhanced communication would be beneficial. Keep adding top quality staff. Do not loose the entrepreneurial spirit that makes the company successful.

Good Company

I have been working at Sensient

ProsI have been employed for over 10 years. Benefits are good and they try to do things that help employees. They have a Weight Watcher's program that the company pays for and a nice birthday token, as well as a company outing each year. The dress code is professional and polished. I think it is great because you know right off the bat the company standard. There is an open door policy. If I need to talk with the President, I feel welcomed to do so.

ConsI can't find a downside at this time. No company is perfect, but Sensient strives to be the best it can be.

Worked for Sensient? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sensient reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sensient CEO Paul Manning. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Sensient employees.