Sensor Products Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Jeffrey G. Stark

1. Great company to work for and with!

Former Contractor - Video Production Consultant in Madison, NJ
    Former Contractor - Video Production Consultant in Madison, NJ

I worked at Sensor Products as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a group of very talented, smart and creative people - the work/products and services are very interesting. I had the opportunity to consult with them for a few months and found these folks to be phenomenal to work with. The office is located on the 1st floor of a beautiful building only minutes from downtown Madison.

Cons

The office layout is a little spreadout and there might be days that you don't interact with some others in the company.

Advice to Management

You've built a great outfit, keep hiring the cream of the crop!

2. Challenging and Stimulating

I worked at Sensor Products

Pros

-- Need to be technically strong as well as creative to sustain the demands of day-to-day activities
    -- Have to interact with sales, finance, management and operations on a daily basis for effectively completing the responsibilities; Hence get to learn cross-functional relations and balance
    -- Learnt time management
    -- Setting goals with challenging timelines and expectations have taught me ways to be efficient at work
    -- Learn how to generate the best quality and quantity of results from a very small pool of resources

Cons

-- Learnt the impacts of poor work-life imbalance

3. Small company, with attendant pluses and minuses...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ

I worked at Sensor Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get exposed to all facets of a small business: sales, operations, manufacturing, et cetera, and will work with co-workers in every function, Teamwork is important here, it's a casual work environment, and it's never boring. The products and customers are interesting.

Cons

If you need a lot of structure, and like a huge company environment, this isn't the company for you. You cannot hide in a cubicle -- you're given the tools needed to get your job done and then you're expected to use your brain to get the job done. You're expected to pitch-in where needed, if "it's not my job" is your mantra, look elsewhere. Not for the lazy.

Advice to Management

Better communication would be helpful, both up and down the hierarchy. Listen to the people on the front lines, they're in touch with the customers and suppliers, they can often have valuable input.

5. Learn how business runs

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Madison, NJ
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Madison, NJ

I worked at Sensor Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a small company. You will learn each and every aspect of business here. I learnt how to bend rules to get the job done and make money. You will see implementation of your work & ideas. It boosts your confidence. It is a perfect place for beginners. This company prepares you for big challenges ahead in your life.

Office culture is great. Employees are friendly. Perfect work life balance.

Cons

Company can invest in its employees such as technical training , bonuses, performance based raise etc. so they remain satisfied and contribute more.

Advice to Management

Please have regular meetings with employees and understand their needs, if any.
    Conversation will fill the gap between management and employees

Sharp intelligent people will do very well here!

Former Employee - Manangement in Madison, NJ
    Former Employee - Manangement in Madison, NJ

I worked at Sensor Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is an innovative, exciting small company (approx. 20 ppl) to work for with a bunch of really talented, hard working people. Business casual environment, lots of team building. Located in a cute little town, not far from a few highways. Excellent experience. You can learn a LOT here, especially how to grow a business. Owner/CEO is very involved and will assist anyone on their path to success.

Cons

I've seen a few people come and go in my 8 years here and this is not a place for lazy, complacent, uneducated people. Those folks won't last and will end up on here leaving a bad review ;)

Advice to Management

Maybe a little more pre-screening during the hiring process...rather then hiring quickly to fill the spot, we should take a little more time to make sure we get the best of the best. LOVE the family environment!!

Successful product and great staff, terrible boss

I worked at Sensor Products

Pros

When I first started at Sensor Products, I had no real definitive job task. By helping the staff I managed my roll. The different departments at Sensor Products are all extremely valuable to the company. These people are super intelligent and excel in their specific fields. But unfortunately, they get treated as if they are easily replaceable. Without this staff, I'm not sure SPI would have lasted this long.

Cons

The major downside to working for SPI is the owner of the company. He makes poor business decisions that only benefit himself. He doesn't work fairly with vendors and other business partners. He has some medical issues that need serious advising. He doesn't remember approving things or later complains about things he previously requested. Working for someone that tells lies, is forgetful, speaks to people as if they are incompetent, abuses employees trust, and is blatantly selfish makes working at Sensor Products absolutely UNBEARABLE!

Advice to Management

Start playing by the rules and you'll have a better outcome. If not, sell the company to someone who can run it successfully.

The owner of the company is deranged

I worked at Sensor Products

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have met work there.

Cons

The head of the company flip flops on decisions, makes decisions that make no sense and have no consistency.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, you are terrible at it!

Good products and employees, but owner is crazy

I worked at Sensor Products full-time

Pros

Got the opportunity to see lots of my ideas implemented and had control over process from soup to nuts, but even though product was a success, there was no business savvy present on how best to market the product and it sat in a closet for over a year. Very frustrating.

Cons

The owner has a temper and gets very negatively emotional; never know his mood from moment to moment and he has a tendency to treat his employees very poorly and unprofessionally. It is a small company so encounters with him are unavoidable. Laid off several employees after he purchases a new car and before he left on a European vacation and tells the laid off employees that he had no choice, since business isn't doing well. Changes his mind on a whim.

Advice to Management

Get counseling or medication to quell your moods! Develop a strategy to grow the company and promote new products, too much fly by the seat of your pants stuff. Learn how to treat people with respect to get the best performance from them.

Sensor Products is a very boring company to work for

I worked at Sensor Products

Pros

Sensor Products is a very successful company in the niche field of contact pressure sensors. The field is dominated by giants like Fuji and Tekscan, and Sensor Products manages to not only be competitive, but successful despite the competition.

Cons

Management is more interested in data than results --Writing endless spreadsheets about what you are working on is more important than actually working on your job's responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Taking advantage of the recession (and the unemployment it is causing) by giving new employees tiny salaries is not a way to endear them to you. As soon as the economy is better, count on them leaving for something (anything) better.

Sensor products, NJ

I worked at Sensor Products

Pros

Located in a beautiful town and quick access to the city with adequate public transportation. Work is okay. Suited only for freshers...

Cons

Higher management is bad. Money is the only thing the company cares. One has a slog like a dog. No recognition. Forget to join this company even if offered a job...

Advice to Management

Recognize the effort of the employees and make sure they are paid accordingly. Treat the employees as humans and not like a robot.

RSS Feed </> Embed