Sentara Healthcare Reviews

Reset
3.4
Sentara Healthcare CEO David L. Bernd
David L. Bernd

Pros
  • Great benefits and salaries; still offer a PENSION; never have layoffs -- very impressive (in 9 reviews)

• Relatively good benefits and pay for the area of Hampton Roads (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low com paired to cost of living and other surrounding area (in 3 reviews)

• this one is supposed to be non-profit, but it is all about the bottom line (in 3 reviews)

1. My take on Sentara

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Great company to work for with great benefits. Would definitely recommend as a place of work to others.

Cons

Must use PTO for holidays

2. Patients Accounts

Former Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

They are a good company to work for. Great benifits and the traninng is awsome.

Cons

That you have to use your PTO for holidays.

3. Don't even think of applying here

Pros

The only "pro" is I did get a paycheck.

Cons

They DO have layoffs, outdated computer systems, dirty offices, nasty, incompetent managers and clueless trainers. What more do you need?

Advice to Management

No advice, keep up the "wonderful" job.

5. Typical Big Corporation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro that I can really come up with would be that the company does actually pay well for this area.

Cons

Everything is silos. Managers and employees in each department only care about whatever piece of a project or task is THEIR responsibility. "That's not my job" is a phrase that is heard on a daily basis. Management was condescending and only concerned about the bottom line. Not unusual for a big corporation, it's just not how things were at the hospital before Sentara bought it out in 2010. Sad.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice for management because they can't change anything. Everything about this company's culture is top-down driven. Managers can be nice to their people, but beyond that, they have little to no control over how the company will do business. That's decided at the Director level and above. As long as they're making money hand over fist, as they are, they will not change the way they run the place. Any advice I have for upper management would fall on deaf ears as a result.

6. Patients vs Customers

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In most markets in Virginia so there are opportunities to engage with diverse communities. There are different levels of care available thus enabling one to hone their healthcare skills in a variety of experiences.

Cons

There doesn't appear to be a consistent commitment to promoting from within, in particular, in the clinical support and enterprise areas.

Advice to Management

If we focus on consistent quality, the patients will come. There is a focus on quantity over quality. Management does not intentionally value the employees. Happy employees will positively impact the patient experience and quality of care.

7. RN

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time

Pros

room for advancement, multiple opportunities

Cons

no change in pay from RN to BSN

8. Great Organization

Current Employee - Emergency Department RN in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Emergency Department RN in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare part-time

Pros

Great benefits, good people, upward movement is possible

Cons

I can't think of any, I love my job

9. TSA

Current Employee - TSA
    Current Employee - TSA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best IT job in company, great team, strong management to back you.

Cons

Limited growth for this type of position. If you can be content with the pay (bottom portion of range) and limited opportunities to expand your skills, and you like being the local hero to clinical staff. Then this is the dream job.

Advice to Management

A couple of your non-SI, nonSr, LAN engineers are in desperate need of IT training. Not your fault, the ones i speak of would just complain they gotta learn. I know that you know who these folks are. One hint: What use is a LAN employee with no server certs who chooses a desktop cert to meet the mcp requirements? Lmao! Please dont counter with he/she has more decades if experience. This implies they have the ability to learn. The other money pit employee has yet to complete 1 single exam to meet the actual job requirement after 10+ years.. Lmao! Please please please get these folks on their way if even it lowers my medical bills by a penny.

10. IT manager

Current Employee - IT Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to work, always on the leading edge of technology. Management really care about their staff and do everything they can to recognize the contributions made by the team.

Cons

very complex IT shop.. many apps integrated and many of the APP Owners struggle speaking in terms that the Tech staff understand. it is a constant challenge to work through the translations.

Advice to Management

Go back to the bonus plan where it is not fixed. As it stands now, the 5% crowd is less than delighted with the current design.

11. Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Emergency Room in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Emergency Room in Hampton, VA

Pros

excellent people to work with

Cons

as with many healthcare employers, they are a large business, and as such family-based needs do not always get met when scheduling shifts and sudden needs to "call in" incase of family emergencies.

RSS Feed </> Embed