Sentara Healthcare

Updated December 9, 2014
3.5

Sentara Healthcare CEO David L. Bernd
David L. Bernd

Pros
  • Great benefits and salaries; still offer a PENSION; never have layoffs -- very impressive (in 9 reviews)

• Relatively good benefits and pay for the area of Hampton Roads (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • nursing salaries not adequate for high cost of living in Hampton Roads area (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management wants the employees to work understaffed and just "get by" to obtain the ultimate goal of getting more patients done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Rn

Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a lot of postions

Cons

Pay is low com paired to cost of living and other surrounding area

Pay more

great company to work for.

Former Employee - CNA in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - CNA in Hampton, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the people,management,i juse like everything about it.i can not say nothing wrong,i just injoy working with everyone.

Cons

learning about everyone and there job about what they do and learning to do different thing in my job it was a learning experience and a challenge.

always take the time out to listen to your employer and when someone is doing a good job let that person know.

Wonderful place to work and they have great benefits.

Former Employee - ER Registration Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - ER Registration Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are top notch. Company values are good.

Cons

You have to work 5 8-hour shifts and every other weekend, instead of 3 12-hour shifts.

Good experiences

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits (health, 401k/403b, tuition assistance, etc.), mostly everyone that I've encountered is kind and really do care about patients

Cons

Management is a hit or miss, there is room for advancement depending on what position you're in... They are currently all about accreditation

Management over works you and has no concept of what your job actually entails.

Current Employee - Sentara Leigh in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sentara Leigh in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being such a huge part of Hampton Roads many discounts at local businesses. Insurance plan is cheaper than my husband's.

Cons

Very difficult to get into the system Prior to my current position there, I applied about 5 times to 5 different positions with no response that I was overly qualified for. It wasn't till they needed me that they offered me a position.
     The upper management wants the employees to work understaffed and just "get by" to obtain the ultimate goal of getting more patients done. Example; 6 staff members doing 110 patients daily, the work of 7 or 8! We are doing it but patients are complaining and hr long waits. Management does not understand why there are so many complaints are coming in.

Stop looking at the numbers and come down and actually see how busy we are and how upset the patients are. They will start going to another facility where they do not have to wait and then see how your numbers look. if we keep the volume of patients 110-120/day we need more staff and more machines. 3 machines and 6-7 staff members does not work.

Medical Transcriptionist

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home, some flexibility within shift parameters, good benefits, employees are supportive and work together.

Cons

No advancement or thinking on upward movement.

Direct supervisors, listen to your employees, treat with greater dignity and respect. Built people up instead of tearing them down. Encourage and nourish upward movement and personal improvement in employees, don't try to stifle it!

Very Professional And Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Patient Care Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Representative in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a great human resources department, they pay fairly, have great benefits and retirement. They really are safety and patient oriented which is refreshing to see in the healthcare industry.

Cons

They are very centralized and unlike being a part of a small business, employees with good ideas and innovative thoughts may not have the ability to be heard effectively due to the restrictive roles of the supervisors.

Decentralize and let your beautiful and creative employees be heard! They can be such an asset in so many ways!!

Love working for a hospital!

Current Employee - Nursing Care Partner/Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Nursing Care Partner/Medical Assistant

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good, they are reasonably flexible, work environment is decent and most of your team works well together.

Cons

Some co-workers tended to treat care partners like work horses, MANAGERS definetely favor certain employees, if you weren't in the "clique" good luck. The pay definetly wasn't always worth working as hard as you do.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth potential. Great co-workers. Great place to build lasting business relationships. Most of the departments have a "teamwork " attitude. Sentara has several core values that are taught, a lot of them can spill over into your personal life, and help mold you into a better focused person.

Cons

Sometimes, being under the wrong manager can make going to work hard! We lost a valuable manager in the department I worked in; and got a "she-devil". Employees that had been with the company for YEARS, all of a sudden began to leave. Several of the employees began looking for other work, and going to work was no longer a nice place to be. When this new manager left the department, for higher ground, things got a bit better, but not much.

Listen to your employees more often, especially the ones that sacrifice all the time and work extra, the quality employees have more to say, because they actually care about the company. This company lost good employees because of management. And some are still looking for a way out.

Good working condition

Current Employee - Ground Attendant in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Ground Attendant in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They provide the needed equipment to do my grounds position job.

Cons

Still greeting use to sentara policy. Our company just merge with them about 1 year ago

None