Sentara Healthcare

Sentara Healthcare Reviews in Woodbridge, VA

2.5

Sentara Healthcare CEO David L. Bernd
David L. Bernd

Pros
  • Great benefits and salaries; still offer a PENSION; never have layoffs -- very impressive (in 9 reviews)

• Relatively good benefits and pay for the area of Hampton Roads (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • nursing salaries not adequate for high cost of living in Hampton Roads area (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management wants the employees to work understaffed and just "get by" to obtain the ultimate goal of getting more patients done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Sentara Healthcare has been a wonderful employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sentara has a fresh and forward thinking philosophy that runs through everything we do. My co-workers are enthusiastic and leadership has an aggressive and well thought out plan for each step taken. It's exciting to see changes happen rapidly and patient care improve as everyone her cares.

Cons

Sentara is a little far from my home, but the daily drive is worth it.

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great, but that's about it.

Cons

Administration is clueless and greed driven. The nurse:patient ratios are DANGEROUS! Nurses and NCPs get reprimanded for voicing concerns. Management only looks out for themselves and as long as their units look good on paper, that's all they care about.

Spend some time on the units with your floor nurses before making your dangerous decisions to 'flex up'. Invest in your nurses and NCPs, we are the ones who make this hospital have any positive remarks. Ask yourselves why you cannot retain nurses and why you're always short staffed. It's because you burn out your staff, treat them poorly, punish them for silly things and put their licenses in jeopardy every single day they work.

Sentara Healthcare Response

Aug 1, 2014Team Coordinator, Recruitment

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience at Sentara Healthcare, we value ... More

Great job if you like drama, gossip and lack of organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and steady hours. Easy job for the most part, a lot of openings if you want to transfer departments/learn other areas

Cons

High turnover, so short staffed that there is no disiplinary action for bad behaviors because they don't want to lose more staff, so everyone pretty much runs rampant and does what they want. No patient focus, unsafe practices and you will be worked to death trying to pick up the slack.

Enforce policies, treat staff fairly and recognize the people who do well.

Sentara Healthcare Photos