Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.1

David L. Bernd

One of the best hospital systems

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Pros

Family atmosphere, hard work is recognized. Promotions are attainable.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed making it hard to deliver quality patient care.

Give praise when due. Sometimes just hearing you are appreciated is a great motivation to keep working hard.

Management not skilled as leaders.

Current Employee - Clinical in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Clinical in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good at "pretending" to care about their employees.

Cons

Management listening skills deplorable! Work with less is to the extreme. Managers enjoy the title or power they get from it once in the position.

Leadership and change management skills must be addressed or re-taught! Frequent skill evaluation of management and supervisors by internal/external sources is needed. Managers cover for managers!

system Analysts

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Pros

Solid company, good leadership, good working environment.

Cons

No very caring about work life balance. They will burn you out sooner than later.

Pay your employees what they are worth...

Good for experience

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Pros

I enjoyed meeting like minded nurses that were trying to move up in the company and also gain practial experience. I would definitely encourage new nurses to apply.

Cons

Compensation was not the best, they treat you like a number instead of an employee. Constantly understaffed.

RN

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Pros

Stay busy, fantastic co workers

Cons

Horrible horrible pay, almost insulting

This place is worse than a High School!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job...I love being an RN, I just don't love being one at SNGH.

Cons

Horrible pay, inept management, backstabbing co workers, favoritism, bullying; they don't care because they have their own staff pool SCOHS, no clear chain of command

PAY YOUR PEOPLE! $.51 pay increase over 5 years is ridiculous! Stop playing favorites! All personnel policies should apply to ALL personnel! Magnet status doesn't mean anything if you keep driving your employees out! Get rid of your cliques on your units/floors, and hire managers that are actually CAPABLE of doing the work that their unit requires! Don't wait for 3 cycles of MOT scores to change things!

Run from Norfolk MRI department

Former Employee - MRI Technologist in Norfolk, NE
    Former Employee - MRI Technologist in Norfolk, NE

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits , bonus , discount cafeteria

Cons

Supervisors and managers - they watch you on camera 24/7, eaves drop on you, ( yes this has been proven ). One manager actually said she didn't care we didn't have a life , if you don't like it leave , call is ridiculous as we get called in all of the time for diabetic toes and bicep tendon tears or back pain of 6 months , monthly meetings made sec shift come in 3 hours early and still have to work your 8.5 hour shift, never got breaks or lunches , holiday call as you working and taking call sat , sun an mon ( I had to take call 24 hrs sun abd 24 hrs mon ) all by myself. Basically I had patients for 18 hrs non stop. It was awful. A few of the radiologist are extremely rude ( especially the female ones ) , second shift gets stuck late about 99 percent of time , this was the absolutly the worse place I have ever worked in my life

Get third shift techs to reduce over time and call. Stop making second shift come in 3 hours early for meetings and still making them work a full shift , start giving lunches and breaks , do not make one tech cover a sat , sun , mom work and call. It is way to much for one tech to handle , work with radiologist about the ridiculous call. There is no reason techs should be called in in the middje of the night to scan a diabetic toe !

Lots of Room for movement in company! Great place to get experience and move on!

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Ability to transfer every 6 months. This becomes helpful if you get stuck on the unit from hell. Oh, and they do exists.
    - There is some commitment education of the nurse with some tuition reimbursement and a nice discount for the nursing school.

Cons

- Sentara says in the orientation that they are competitive but with base rates so low and rents in this area so high, I cannot see it.
    - Management is out of touch and can be threatening.
    - Sentara is all about the dollar and not patient care.

Focus more on employee morale and it would be easier to keep the patients happy.

One of the worst places to work

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my coworkers... that's probably the only Pro for now.

Cons

Supervisors- The most ridiculous excuse for "Supervisors". Lack of leadership, complete incompetence, and zero sense of welfare for the employees.
    Benefits- I've seen much better benefits at McDonald's and Walmart than this place. Oh yeah, and as for Paid Time Off, good luck with all the hassles to try to take a few days off. This company will make you put work before family, even if it means driving through a tornado or earthquake and leaving your family behind to fend for themselves, all for just a few bucks??

Consider your employees and their families, and keep a closer eye on your supervisors than hearing what everyone else has to say. It's just ridiculous what the employees here have to put up with, everyday.

Diagnostic Radiologic Technoloist

Former Employee - Rad Tech
    Former Employee - Rad Tech

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

above average pay, advancement from within, great benefits, yearly performance plus bonus.

Cons

not many cons. job security comes from large volume.