Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Be The First To
Add Photos

David L. Bernd

Diagnostic Radiologic Technoloist

Rad Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Prosabove average pay, advancement from within, great benefits, yearly performance plus bonus.

Consnot many cons. job security comes from large volume.

Unemplopyed

Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNever give people the opportunity to come back

ConsManager need more people skills

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the people who are considered to be the lower staff

Great employer, room to grow

ED Tech II (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsLOVED the method of earning a raise and bonus.
Great environment to learn and grow.
Fair and friendly coworkers.

ConsThe area is not the best, but the parking lots are secure. The patients are what make the facility the great place that it is.

Worst Employer I have ever had

Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the People I have met, Patients I have assisted, It was an honor to have met some really wonderful people through my time at Sentara.

ConsDegrading and hateful employees, to include Management, NP, Doctors and co-workers. Self indulging ego friendly nasty professionals (NOT). Working off clock because forced too with no pay, degrading talk in front of peers, patients also treated with disrespect, Management would speak to you like an angry Mother scolds a child, favoritism, a lot of absents from Management. I could go on

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be rated and accountable for the lack of their skills too.

Doing good is good business

Support Services Manager (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefits. awsome supervior. high quality training that developed my skills and made me more marketable. facility has some of the highest ratings it can achieve in the industry so you'll be proud to work there with others who are as committed to patient care and saftey

ConsIt's a hospital. Patients you can grow attached to die. Familiy members are highly emotional. It just the normal stuff that comes with 'healthcare'

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management team was great. Thank you for mentoriing and taking the time to provide ongoing feedback. I wish there were more opportunities to meet or hear from senior executives and better understand the busienss. I think the more employees know quarterly goals, the more they can help achieve management's vision.

Great

Secretary (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

ProsFriendly co-workers, potential to move up quickly

Consparking, time to clock in

Good work enviroment and culture

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

Prosgood benefits, time off, work space

Conslow pay scale, raises not based on merit

Advice to Senior Managementa

SNGH

Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

ProsThe benefits here is very nice. Most of the house staff are great people. Some of the physicians are a difficult.

ConsYou must request time off from work far in advance. There is little opportunity for professional growth. If you are looking to climb pr get more responsibility, this may not be the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementSentara is growing and has a great reputation. However, they could be more responsive to employee requests. There should be more interdisciplinary coommunication.

Pay Needs To Be Improved

Administrative Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital

ProsInsurance premiums are decent although they have been going up each year for the past 5 years I have been there.

ConsSentara Healthcare will post ads in the career section of the news paper "as the place to build your career", then you do the interview without being told of the hourly rate of hire. Once hired you then find out how low the pay is for the responsibility they want you to take on. I currently have no choice as a single mother I have bills to pay and they know it. I have no shame in stating I am only making about 1.38 above minimum wage. 5 years???

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide increases to hourly employees across the board. Or we need to unionize. Salaries for executives are boarderline to criminal. Mr. Bernd made over 3 million last year, other board members and upper mangement are in the upper 180,000.00 range without benefits.

Worked for Sentara Norfolk General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sentara Norfolk General Hospital CEO David L. Bernd. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Sentara Norfolk General Hospital employees.