Sentinel Real Estate Corp.

www.sentinelcorp.com

John Streicker

1. Decent over all... will learn lots if you join this company

Former Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very much a policy driven company. Very nice people. Everything you need is in a manual.

Cons

Upper management take years to make needed changes in policy or any thing basic. Getting a straight forward answer to questions is rough. So many hands in the pot and all management is scared to make the move.

Advice to Management

na

2. Good place to get experience in the business

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sentinel is very detail-oriented regarding paperwork and documentation. If you can catch on to how the company wants things done from that aspect, you should transition to other companies in the business fairly easily.

Cons

Things are almost too focused on having a sparkling audit. Very little employee recognition. Very behind the times with regard to technology and social media. Depending on your location and career goals, advancement opportunities can be limited.

3. Life with Sentinel

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time

Pros

My manager was great! She listened to ideas and thoughts for improved efficiency and implemented what was allowed within Sentinel policy. Very nice properties.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility. Pay is low. The company is run from the top down and the paperwork is cumbersome.

5. OK company

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp.

Pros

Good education and classes.Would be a good place for someone new in the business. The people I work with are seem knowledgeable.

Cons

Too much motivation by fear and lots of redundant paperwork. Antiquated computer softwear programs. Management needs to listen to their employees,

Great Management Company to Work for as a Person Without Management Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sentinel is a very organized real estate company compared to most other companies. They offer the best training when it comes to Fair Housing Law and actually enforce company policies rather than cave into angry customers' demands. Because they offer the best training (essentially leasing boot camp), it's a great place to start a career in property management. You'll leave the company very knowledgable in the job. I also personally love the people I work with onsite, but I know that's not the case for everyone.

Cons

The property staff is well underpaid for the work they are expected to do. Upper management spends tons of money on frivolous things, but refuse to pay their employees a decent wage or give them a decent apartment discount. Upper management also expects you to drop everything your doing to complete a very difficult task at the drop of a hat when they ask for it, but if you need something from them, forget about it. Upper management shows no appreciation for their employees actually running the properties. There's also very little room for growth because you have to be in your position at least two years before even being considered for a promotion, regardless of how hard working you are, and there aren't very many available positions anyway. Finally, you have to battle royal with all levels of management to take time off, even when you have the time accrued.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for your employees, for without them, your company goes no where. When you make a property visit, you can at least acknowledge the presence of the rest of the staff before going in to discuss business with the property manager.

7. Former employee

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp.

Pros

Good company overall, can advance if willing to relocate.

Cons

Upper management needs to address lower management more often.

8. Great company to work for with good pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time

Pros

GREAT work atmosphere with amazing people to work within a relaxed, yet productive workflow. Commission, & good employee discounts.

Cons

work schedule not balanced very well. Also Secrete shoppers/ could also be a Pro if you pass your mystery shop you get paid $$$

Advice to Management

With no prior leasing experience, I believe. the company should work on training new employees in a more effective manner.

9. Past Employee

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not think I can say one positive thing. I guess if I had to pick something it would be the interaction with the residents on a day to day basis.

Cons

Everything. Management was the worst though. So disrespectful to residents and employees. This job trained me so much that I mentally could not handle it any longer. Worst job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Please work as hard as you want your employees to work. Watching Netflix all day is disrespectful to people who are trying to work hard for the company.

The absolute WORST company to EVER work for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a decent pay rate.

Cons

First off, the interview I had was nothing but LIES. They over work their staff and they do not say thank you AT ALL. Don't expect to grow and learn with this company because there is no room or time for it. The Corporate office is based out of New York and they could care less about their office workers. The Managers have absolutely NO IDEA what they are doing or how to run a business. They depend on everyone else in the office to do their work for them. There is absolutely no training. Expect to be thrown out there to sink or swim. If you are sinking then expect to be let go. The turn over with this company is outrageous. I wish I would gone by what this website said to begin with. I would have never started working for this company if I had. I had the most stress I had ever dealt with in my entire work life. They do not care AT ALL about anyone but themselves. There is no time for a personal life with this company. On any of my days off I always had the Manager texting me about work. If you celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, or any other holiday for that matter don't come in to this company expecting to celebrate them. I understand that every religion is different, BUT you should explain that the person running this company is Jewish and that holidays will be different than what you are use to if you are not Jewish. I was very disappointed in the information that I was given in my interview and that most of it was inaccurate.

Advice to Management

STOP micromanaging and start listening to your staff. You may have less turnover if you would appreciate the little things that your staff does.

11. It is all about the numbers so just hope your number is not up.

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have the opportunity to work at Sentinel you will learn a lot about keeping the proper documentation that any asset management company needs to keep on hand for personnel issues, tax purposes and budget management. They offer their employees medical and dental insurance that isn't top of the line but it isn't terrible either. They also offer their employees paid holiday's, sick time and 401K contributions.

Cons

Unfortunately, the management in New York expects this documentation to be compiled with very little to none administrative help from the corporate office. If you do a good job for them they continue to pile more and more work on you until you can no longer keep up. They don't see the people aspect of the decisions that they make. Sentinel is a good stepping stone but if you work for them always keep your ears open for the next step in your career because Sentinel will not hesitate to do away with you if it makes the numbers look better.

Advice to Management

Give your on-site management more administrative help and you will get much better results over-all from them.

RSS Feed </> Embed