Sentinel Technologies

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.2

Dennis Hoelzer

Great Company to gain new skills and enhance current skills

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time Off when you need it. Managers don't breathe down your neck. You get to work with some of the biggest household corporate names in America.

Cons

Internal ticketing and dispatch needs a little face lift. Sometimes the system is a bit counter-intuitive, but you get used to it.

If you aren't a part of the boys club you were not treated like an employee

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When the economy was good you stayed busy

Cons

If you were not bulling you better be in the office so you could play spider solitaire

Invest more money in employee training then company cars they drive.

A Company left behind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers and administrative staff are friendly to work with and are generally professional and friendly. If you are an entry level Engineer or Administrator, pursuing a consultative role, this is a great place to begin. However, have the realistic expectation this position will only be 2-4 years maximum.

Cons

The company as a whole lacks general direction and has been left behind by the trending IT verticals. Disconnects from sales strategy to delivery are clearly apparent and leadership is unwilling and incapable of working collaboratively to identify business initiatives that will provide profitability and growth. Individuals hired as a technical entity with more than 5 years of experience will find they are not challenged and will not be provided necessary resources to grow professionally. Sentinel will sell the expectation of playing to a much larger market, however, dont be confused or misguided, they are very much an SMB player and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. They continue to win the Chicago Tribune "Top Workplaces" award, however, culture and employee satisfaction continue to degrade. During my tenure I experienced a minimum of a 30% attrition rate and the average individual left, including myself, because of concern surrounding the long term viability of this companies ability to compete and deliver successful solutions to customers.

In a simple statement... Get out of your own way. Many of you have worked for Sentinel for 15+ years. The loyalty is admirable, however, your lack of perspective and understanding of the IT verticals has left you behind. Your compensation structure is lacking and you are typically 10-25% under market value as a base with a none existent or infant bonus structure. Identify clear business strategies relative to markets you can successfully deliver within. Build Sales and Delivery goals surrounding your markets and stick to them. Remove centric individuals with too much power that are shadowing executive leadership from the realities. In general do a better job as leaders and stop hiding atop your ivory towers.

Over Worked Without Relief

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

There are a lot of talented technical team members, project managers and other support staff that provide a great learning experience. Good for technical knowledge growth. The majority of typical employees are good people you enjoy seeing everyday. Excellent medical/dental benefits (coverage and premiums), and relatively fair pay (against the market).

Cons

There are the inner circle long-timers, then there are the rest of the employees. If you are not inside that circle, you feel expendable and less relevant. They will talk of improving things (such as work-life balance, headcount, promotions, bonuses), but then do not follow through. And unfortunately mediocre work seems to get the same rewards as people that work harder and better. Lots of people leaving right now.

Instead of spending time being angry at former employees that left, or bragging about being a Top Work Place (according to a newspaper), spend that effort asking your employees what matters to them and actually listen and adjust. Expecting employees to remain long term and be loyal, but over working them and leaving them worried about reprisal, is just going to lead to more turn over of good people.

Lost in change with unsure direction for the future.

Former Employee - Pre and Post Sales in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Pre and Post Sales in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with latest technology from many product vendors which requires the ability to think while running due to the fast paced environment within pre and post sales. Day to day requirements of role within company may vary. Unfortunately cannot think of any other positives during the last year.

Cons

Honest review! Constant change in policy including process and compensation. No consistency within organization with bonus structure or pay beyond base salary. This causes employees not know what will be earned for their efforts. Support structure does not suit employees or provide positive environment. Work life balance really depends on who you are within the company and what level of management. The writing has been on the wall for the last 18 months, but hope of change keeps many in place. The brightest often move on to better and greater things in their careers elsewhere. The culture is very static as it has not changed since the beginning, if looking for the "new culture" of IT, this is not the place.

The company of the past does not exist anymore, as the current environment is very top heavy. Good ideas are only as good as the effort put fourth implementing them. The most common question seems to revolve around what is best for the company. The employees are the talent that allows the company to continue to operate, the question should be adjusted to consider the employees. How can we reward effort, do you truly understand the level of talent that has departed and still remains by a fragile string? To them I wish the best of luck in their future. My final words of wisdom are to remember that the talent in your company sets you apart from your competition. When they leave, so does your advantage!

Very Good Company

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Produce
    Very Good Service Quality
    Highly engaged management
    Excellent Ethics

Cons

None that are really significant.

Keep Growing

I have gained great knowledge and experience at Sentinel.

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

Great coworkers! Great technology opportunities! Great Benefits.

Cons

Process is inconsistent, and sometimes all over the place. Things seem to change from week to week.

Scrutinize your process model on a per role basis, and find better continuity from customer intake to final implementation. Lots of information not gathered up front that winds up biting the company halfway through. Also lots of service opportunities are missed due to lack of technical background of the pre-sales team.

Just working for a company

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

involved in a wide range of techonolgies, so the focus can be quite broad. exposes you to many architecture areas

Cons

the scope of employment here is that is it a private company of a bunch of guys doing the job.

no comment

If you're looking to get your start in the IT industry, Sentinel is a good place to get a foot in the door

Current Employee - Associate Wireless Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Wireless Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This company is an expert at running a bare-bones operation, they get you what you need to do your job, teach you the basics, then give you the ball and let you run with it. How far you take it depends entirely on YOU, and I think it's a spectacular learning environment, considering I was completely wet behind the ears my first day on the job. It's led to bigger and brighter things for me, but I would never turn down a chance to talk shop with anyone from Sentinel, or would I ever decline a discussion concerning a possible return there, they're good people, and upper management is good about making sure everyone is a good fit for whichever team they're working with.

Cons

Some people might find their managerial style a little too easygoing, and want their hand held when it comes to training and opportunities, in which case, I say to you, this is probably not the place, or even the industry for you.

Also, contract positions make it pretty tough when it comes to upward mobility, but it's not impossible, and it's a common way of doing business in the IT industry at large.

I really like the approach in hiring, where a certain attitude toward work and work ethic is expected of a potential employee, but I would say that there were a few situations where I wished there was a more dependable support structure in place when I was in the field. But over all, I loved my time there.

If you want a job you can count on and have some growth in stay away unless you will be taking a hi level management.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Engineer in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Engineer in Springfield, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies

Pros

laid back work environment and easy to take time off when needed

Cons

Laid back work environment carries over into a laid back attitude about taking care of their employees.

Taking care of the people working in the field is more important than taking care of upper management. So you could start with downsizing the company cars for management from large SUV's and get rid of the management retreat and put that money into the regular employees as they are the ones making you money.