Sentinel Technologies

ProsGood Produce
    Very Good Service Quality
    Highly engaged management
    Excellent Ethics

ConsNone that are really significant.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Growing

Lost in change with unsure direction for the future.

Pre and Post Sales (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsWork with latest technology from many product vendors which requires the ability to think while running due to the fast paced environment within pre and post sales. Day to day requirements of role within company may vary. Unfortunately cannot think of any other positives during the last year.

ConsHonest review! Constant change in policy including process and compensation. No consistency within organization with bonus structure or pay beyond base salary. This causes employees not know what will be earned for their efforts. Support structure does not suit employees or provide positive environment. Work life balance really depends on who you are within the company and what level of management. The writing has been on the wall for the last 18 months, but hope of change keeps many in place. The brightest often move on to better and greater things in their careers elsewhere. The culture is very static as it has not changed since the beginning, if looking for the "new culture" of IT, this is not the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company of the past does not exist anymore, as the current environment is very top heavy. Good ideas are only as good as the effort put fourth implementing them. The most common question seems to revolve around what is best for the company. The employees are the talent that allows the company to continue to operate, the question should be adjusted to consider the employees. How can we reward effort, do you truly understand the level of talent that has departed and still remains by a fragile string? To them I wish the best of luck in their future. My final words of wisdom are to remember that the talent in your company sets you apart from your competition. When they leave, so does your advantage!

I have gained great knowledge and experience at Sentinel.

ProsGreat coworkers! Great technology opportunities! Great Benefits.

ConsProcess is inconsistent, and sometimes all over the place. Things seem to change from week to week.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrutinize your process model on a per role basis, and find better continuity from customer intake to final implementation. Lots of information not gathered up front that winds up biting the company halfway through. Also lots of service opportunities are missed due to lack of technical background of the pre-sales team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just working for a company

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

Prosinvolved in a wide range of techonolgies, so the focus can be quite broad. exposes you to many architecture areas

Consthe scope of employment here is that is it a private company of a bunch of guys doing the job.

Advice to Senior Managementno comment

If you're looking to get your start in the IT industry, Sentinel is a good place to get a foot in the door

Associate Wireless Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis company is an expert at running a bare-bones operation, they get you what you need to do your job, teach you the basics, then give you the ball and let you run with it. How far you take it depends entirely on YOU, and I think it's a spectacular learning environment, considering I was completely wet behind the ears my first day on the job. It's led to bigger and brighter things for me, but I would never turn down a chance to talk shop with anyone from Sentinel, or would I ever decline a discussion concerning a possible return there, they're good people, and upper management is good about making sure everyone is a good fit for whichever team they're working with.

ConsSome people might find their managerial style a little too easygoing, and want their hand held when it comes to training and opportunities, in which case, I say to you, this is probably not the place, or even the industry for you.

Also, contract positions make it pretty tough when it comes to upward mobility, but it's not impossible, and it's a common way of doing business in the IT industry at large.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like the approach in hiring, where a certain attitude toward work and work ethic is expected of a potential employee, but I would say that there were a few situations where I wished there was a more dependable support structure in place when I was in the field. But over all, I loved my time there.

If you want a job you can count on and have some growth in stay away unless you will be taking a hi level management.

Senior Customer Engineer (Former Employee) Springfield, IL

Proslaid back work environment and easy to take time off when needed

ConsLaid back work environment carries over into a laid back attitude about taking care of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking care of the people working in the field is more important than taking care of upper management. So you could start with downsizing the company cars for management from large SUV's and get rid of the management retreat and put that money into the regular employees as they are the ones making you money.

Overall Good place to work

ProsBase salary PLUS overtime, Great work life balance!!!! Great Project Management.

ConsPoor technical infrastructure and tooling (Sub par laptop, Subpar ticketing system, Subpar time entry)

Easily the best place I've worked

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

ProsSentinel is a large Cisco Gold partner that receives a lot of attention from Cisco, so getting aid from Cisco's SAs and sales staff on new issues and new products is very easy to do and they are very eager to help.

Sentinel has an extremely large base of certified technicians who have been in the industry a very long time and understand it - both from a technical perspective and from a real-world customer perspective... as a result, there is a very large knowledge pool to draw from as an employee when designing or implementing solutions. All of the Sentinel employees that I've dealt with have been EXTREMELY generous and kind when helping me with information that I haven't had previous experience with - including going so far as to start a Webex meeting with me to help guide me through processes or technologies that I'm not familiar with to provide me with a more solid understanding.

Upper management has been in this industry a very long time - I find it exciting that the original founders of the company are all still around after more than 30 years and all understand what it takes to be successful.

In contrast to past IT/consulting jobs that I've held, I've found that Sentinel's customers tend to be much more happy and satisfied after the completion of a project than what I previously thought was "normal." Sometimes quoting and winning deals is more challenging from this respect, since Sentinel builds time in to quotes to take in to account customer satisfaction via the appropriate training and face time with customers during and after the implementation of a project. This is in stark contrast to my previous experiences in quoting, where razor-thin "in and out" timelines were quoted for customer projects just to win a deal. This type of predatory quoting doesn't happen at Sentinel, and as a result, the engineers and the customers are both happier in the end.

Work/life balance is also better at Sentinel than at any company I've previously worked for, and benefits are excellent even for new employees.

ConsI've been here for a year and haven't found any yet. I find the negative reviews here somewhat questionable, as I have never had problems getting helpful information from management or more experienced engineers and architects when I've found myself in over my head on a project or otherwise in a bind.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Having so many long-term employees and happy customers means that you must be doing something right!

Learn lots in little time...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery challenging projects but opportunity to learn is priceless.

ConsLittle time to adjust, little to no training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work and meet talents.

Room to improve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a Cisco gold partner in Chicago they have the attention of Cisco sales orginazation. As a result, many opportunities get a Cisco approval and assistance. This partnership opens doors and creates additional partnerships.

ConsManagement is poor at dealing with problems and has a blame response many times as a result. I felt that management was often just covering their butts. Feedback on performance was sloppy and inconsistent. When reviewing projects inconsistencies and misinformation made learning a new assignment more difficult then needed. A general atmosphere of not confronting problems directly resulted in employee moral problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and not support. Don't leave employees who want to do a good job "twisting in the wind" guessing what to do to improve.

Worked for Sentinel Technologies? Contribute to the Community!