Sentry Insurance

Sentry Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Sentry Insurance President & CEO Pete G. McPartland

Pete G. McPartland

Pros
  • Good benefits available at start of your time with Sentry(in 7 reviews)

• Great work/life balance - very rarely worked more than 40 hour weeks(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees located in offices other than the home office have very limited room for professional growth(in 8 reviews)

• Pet projects of upper management foisted upon adjusters who have tons of work to do(in 8 reviews)

Decent to start, but little long term potential in higher roles.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros401(k) match at 100% up to 6% is great.

Golf discount is excellent.

Company has large community profile.

Company has a nice Christmas party, summer picnic, and is fairly generous in the community.

Stable company.

ConsHuman resources should pretty much be relabeled "management resources."

Constant management restructuring that leads to power struggles between directors.

Retiree positions and directors often come from outside the company, leaving little room for professionals to move up.

Non-union workforce with union mentality. Pay is never "negotiated." It is based on salary bands that you automatically start at the bottom and work your way up. Raises not guaranteed. You are expected to "pay your dues" for years.

Older workforce will lead to an information gap eventually. Since the defined benefit pension was eliminated and there is no mandatory vesting for the 401(k), there is no incentive for long term tenure. Many of the younger people are getting disillusioned and leaving for better opportunities.

The Life & Health area is struggling, except for pensions. After firing all of the captive agents in Consumer Products, they haven't developed a legitimate sales system. Only life products they sell are an overpriced term product and a poor whole life product.

Health plan is terrible. You might as well not even have insurance. High employee contributions + medium deductible = bad policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you aren't going to find new ways to sell life/health/annuities/group products, just pull the plug and focus on pensions.

Overall a rewarding experience

ProsVery Supportive work environment throughout company. Good benefits available at start of your time with Sentry.

ConsOften times corporate environment of management seemed to not understand the difficulties of the force staff.

I have been treated well.

Safety Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood compensation, understanding department management, opportunity to bring individualism and create your own success. Excellent policy towards company car. A job well done is always recognized by my department.

ConsMore frequent than average travel. Workload expectations are fair, but do require maximum efficiency to accomplish your goals throughout a normal work week. Can be difficult to maintain a work life balance. Health insurance could be more competitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Primer for Entry Level Post-Grad Position

Customer Service-Dairyland Call Center (Former Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsGreat training process
    Generally considerate management and staff
    Competitive salary and benefits for full time employees
    Strong emphasis on career growth for long term employees

ConsImpersonal environment-I never talked to anyone outside of my department

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more interdepartmental interaction.

disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stevens Point, WI

Proslarge community workplace, I can't think of more to say due to the cons being so large. I quit to go to another employer as the experience made me very depressed.

ConsManagement doesn't listen to their employees, health insurance is horrible. They are too worried about being sued to listen to what employees who don't complain all the time to hear what is really going on.

Advice to Senior Managementyou should learn that just because someone complains, doesn't make it the truth.

Busy and no real support for workload as well as high turn over makes it difficult to succeed.

Claim Representative I (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsManagement was friendly, and the people you work with are understanding. Good starting pay and benefits.

ConsMassive pending and a culture that promotes unreasonable expectations for work load compared to quality of claims handling.

A place with opportunties

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsPotential for growth for the right positions, good human resource staff

ConsWould love to see my position as salary instead of hourly

Stepping Stone. That's about it.

Claims Representative II (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

Pros401k match at 6%. Vacation is reasonable. Hiring managers generally hire attractive women. Home office town is a great place to party.

ConsOffice politics. Useless HR. Lower level management might be qualified for McDonald's. Pet projects. Lists. Job aids. Office locations. Lack of decision making ability. Communication is awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a claims representative its a good stepping stone, problem is at this location there is nowhere else to go; Sentry has an excellent business model locating several offices in awful locations where they're the only game in town...in other words, you're stuck.

Despite what you may be told at interview or offer time, there really is no way to move up...unless you're excellent at brown nosing and/or flirty with male managers. The company and its first and second level managers generally do not promote based on merit or skill.

Not investing in an employee working towards an advanced degree who also moved across country to build a career with the company was quite a let down. Getting hauled down to HR and put on probation because your manager was inept at communicating (and most every other function) also not cool especially after nearly 5 years of spotless performance reviews by several fellow managers.

Work load is probably similar to any other claims office however Sentry loves to use various "job aids" which take the better part of your day but serve no relevant function. Goals are frequently met in spite of these nuisances however be prepared to spend many hours working to stay off the nasty list. Word to the wise: they're penny smart and dollar dumb.

For some reason quite a few first level managers have huge egos but it's quite comical they know little to nothing about management and in some cases basic insurance principles. Communication is also weak, the company does not give managers the proper tools to effectively manage. It is extremely rare claims representatives at any level are given the autonomy to make decisions and learn from mistakes.

In closing you'll probably end up with decent co-workers however be prepared to spend most of your time commiserating how much you dislike your job and how you could do a better job if...just if you had less micromanagement hanging over your shoulders. After 5 years I left on my own terms; I'm thankful for my time at Sentry but I'm even more glad I no longer work there

Very Poor Management and H.R is ineffective

Property & Casualty Sales (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood Pay but way to many hours

ConsTo many hours, poor management support

Advice to Senior ManagementPut better people in Regional Sales Manager Roles

Positive with good resources and reasonable, but challenging, expectations.

Trial Attorney Senior (Former Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsFriendly atmosphere, good benefits and greater than average autonomy.

ConsVolume of work can be very challenging at times.

Worked for Sentry Insurance? Contribute to the Community!