Sentry Insurance

Sentry Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Sentry Insurance President & CEO Pete G. McPartland

Pete G. McPartland

Pros
  • Good benefits available at start of your time with Sentry(in 7 reviews)

• Great work/life balance - very rarely worked more than 40 hour weeks(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees located in offices other than the home office have very limited room for professional growth(in 8 reviews)

• Pet projects of upper management foisted upon adjusters who have tons of work to do(in 8 reviews)

Mediocre experience without any real key motivation. But a light on the horizon with new CEO

Actuarial Analyst II (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsYou could skate by just getting the job done. With Pete McPartland's arrival, changes have come into play that are starting to motivate. There has been a push for employees to better train themselves.

ConsPreviously lacked a framework to properly get employees to care; very apathetic attitudes. Certain units seem to hire on politics rather than skills. Managment is young so there isn't really a lot of space to move up at this exact moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with the new changes as I think it will push the company farther in the next few years than several past years combined.

Great Place To Work!

Temporary Service Assistant (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsGreat co-workers and decent pay for the position

ConsHard to feel like part of the team when you're a temp. Everyone get's noticed and rewarded, and temps get nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your temps better!

Hostile Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful campus that included a very nice golf course, restaurant and bar. You could pay to get your car detailed in the basement of the corporate office. Nice cafeteria with several choices and reasonable costs. Attached parking garage.

ConsHostile culture where people regretfully treated each other badly. CYA drove a lot of bad behavior. Tenured work force is usually a good thing, but did not contribute to the health of the company in this case.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement by fear is a dated practice that drives bad behavior. Stop it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A worthy company to consider for a worthy career.

ProsProfessional and interested in customers, clad handling, retaining key accounts and key employees for the long term. Pay is fine considering to opportunities they offer .

ConsHome office is in WI, and so for those not interested in living in that area of the country, fewer promotions than competitor offerings exist. Sometimes this leads to the best candidates not being a part of the top management group.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegionalize for both field efficiency and in attracting top talent.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsGreat environment, lots of auxiliary benefits, opportunities to expand your capabilities

ConsLower pay than similar positions across the state

Not a bad job or company. Just not for me.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThis position had several perks. They gave you a company car and gas card for travel. Great 401k with a 6% match. A ton of autonomy and flexibility.

ConsThe training was geared more toward their products than sales tactics.
    The company as a whole seems very resistant to change.
    They do not hire the best managers. I had the opportunity to meet a majority of the managers within the company and they all seemed to have the same management style. The alpha male, the smartest guy in the room who is never wrong. If you contact them with a question, rather than being helpful, they would make you feel stupid for not knowing already. They don't seem to be invested in their employee's growth or advancement.
    The job is demanding (as all sales positions are), but they set expectations and demand different results. The company does not have a consistent message. Example: "We are changing our bonus structure. We want to pay you to produce business, not be professional quoters. We will no longer have quarterly quote minimums." By the end of the first quarter, all of the salesmen were being gauged by quote numbers, not sales numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to focus a lot on company culture. Hiring within is great, but sometimes the best salesmen does not make the best sales manager. They need to put more emphasis on hiring sales managers that will mentor and cultivate great salesmen.

Don't work here.

Claims Representative II (Former Employee) Goldsboro, NC

ProsDecent salary. They match you up to 6% on your 401k.

ConsThe claim volume is very high. Adjusters are micro-managed. There were times when I wasn't sure if I was looking for coverage or looking to disclaim it. There are too many programs purchased by the company that distract the adjusters from their job. Too much emphasis is placed on performance with these programs. Senior management claims that the numbers show improvement with the programs. If the claim volume per adjuster was reduced these programs wouldn't be needed in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to fix everything but the elephant in the room. The claim volume is just too high.

Appleton Office leaves a bad taste

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsBeing a remote office, with several different departments represented, there seemed to be more knowledge transfer between associates in the Remote Office. Good People. Having a company car assigned to the Office was a plus.

ConsManagement didn't seen to grasp the concept of managing remote people. Some workers had to go to Stevens Point 3-4 times a week. Health Care was very expensive. Benefits were below par. Comment was made (several times) that if the Remote Office closed, everyone would be able to work from home. That didn't happen. Lack of communication on the Daily happenings within the department. Management kept changing directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your promises

No leadership, Favoritism, Inbreeding.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsPeople try to form a sense of community.

ConsManagement, Vision, Leadership, Industry knowledge, Morals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for outside help.

No room for career growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

ProsGreat place to get a few years of experience under your belt for someone new to the industry. 100% match on first 6% 401k. Great work/life balance - very rarely worked more than 40 hour weeks.

ConsEmployees located in offices other than the home office have very limited room for professional growth. After a few years you're finding yourself at the top of your career path and unless you move to Stevens Point, you're stuck with the same title and within the same pay bracket until you decide to move on. Situations like these lead to a large number of employees with outdated skills and no incentives to improve them due to lack of upward movement within the company.

Also very poor health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some people who are very dedicated to the company, focus on keeping them happy and make sure they're given ample room to learn marketable skills. Unlike the employees in the Stevens Point office that have nowhere else to work, there are several other companies you'll find your employees move to if you keep ignoring the fact that they can't advance within the company.

Worked for Sentry Insurance? Contribute to the Community!