Sentry Insurance

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014

Sentry Insurance President & CEO Pete G. McPartland
Pete G. McPartland

Pros
  • Good benefits available at start of your time with Sentry (in 7 reviews)

• Great work/life balance - very rarely worked more than 40 hour weeks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees located in offices other than the home office have very limited room for professional growth (in 8 reviews)

• Pet projects of upper management foisted upon adjusters who have tons of work to do (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

large community workplace, I can't think of more to say due to the cons being so large. I quit to go to another employer as the experience made me very depressed.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to their employees, health insurance is horrible. They are too worried about being sued to listen to what employees who don't complain all the time to hear what is really going on.

you should learn that just because someone complains, doesn't make it the truth.

Overall a rewarding experience

I have been working at Sentry Insurance

Pros

Very Supportive work environment throughout company. Good benefits available at start of your time with Sentry.

Cons

Often times corporate environment of management seemed to not understand the difficulties of the force staff.

Busy and no real support for workload as well as high turn over makes it difficult to succeed.

Current Employee - Claim Representative I  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claim Representative I in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management was friendly, and the people you work with are understanding. Good starting pay and benefits.

Cons

Massive pending and a culture that promotes unreasonable expectations for work load compared to quality of claims handling.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place with opportunties

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potential for growth for the right positions, good human resource staff

Cons

Would love to see my position as salary instead of hourly

Stepping Stone. That's about it.

Former Employee - Claims Representative II  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative II in Davenport, IA

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401k match at 6%. Vacation is reasonable. Hiring managers generally hire attractive women. Home office town is a great place to party.

Cons

Office politics. Useless HR. Lower level management might be qualified for McDonald's. Pet projects. Lists. Job aids. Office locations. Lack of decision making ability. Communication is awful.

For a claims representative its a good stepping stone, problem is at this location there is nowhere else to go; Sentry has an excellent business model locating several offices in awful locations where they're the only game in town...in other words, you're stuck.

Despite what you may be told at interview or offer time, there really is no way to move up...unless you're excellent at brown nosing and/or flirty with male managers. The company and its first and second level managers generally do not promote based on merit or skill.

Not investing in an employee working towards an advanced degree who also moved across country to build a career with the company was quite a let down. Getting hauled down to HR and put on probation because your manager was inept at communicating (and most every other function) also not cool especially after nearly 5 years of spotless performance reviews by several fellow managers.

Work load is probably similar to any other claims office however Sentry loves to use various "job aids" which take the better part of your day but serve no relevant function. Goals are frequently met in spite of these nuisances however be prepared to spend many hours working to stay off the nasty list. Word to the wise: they're penny smart and dollar dumb.

For some reason quite a few first level managers have huge egos but it's quite comical they know little to nothing about management and in some cases basic insurance principles. Communication is also weak, the company does not give managers the proper tools to effectively manage. It is extremely rare claims representatives at any level are given the autonomy to make decisions and learn from mistakes.

In closing you'll probably end up with decent co-workers however be prepared to spend most of your time commiserating how much you dislike your job and how you could do a better job if...just if you had less micromanagement hanging over your shoulders. After 5 years I left on my own terms; I'm thankful for my time at Sentry but I'm even more glad I no longer work there

Very Poor Management and H.R is ineffective

Former Employee - Property & Casualty Sales  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Property & Casualty Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay but way to many hours

Cons

To many hours, poor management support

Put better people in Regional Sales Manager Roles

Positive with good resources and reasonable, but challenging, expectations.

Former Employee - Trial Attorney Senior  in  Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Trial Attorney Senior in Martinez, CA

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good benefits and greater than average autonomy.

Cons

Volume of work can be very challenging at times.

Positive culture, respectful management, busy workdays.

Current Employee - Claim Representative  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Claim Representative in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Sentry Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive wages, busy workloads, good benefits, schedule flexibility, insightful management. Significantly better corporate culture than other employers in the area.

Cons

None yet. I've read some of the negative reviews for this company, and clearly they never worked for any other large corporations, like the large call center down the street. This place treats its people respectfully.

Keep the culture at Davenport right where it is. This environment if positive, encouraging, and a great place to build a career.

Aircraft Maintenance Technician, Sentry Aviation Department

Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician  in  Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation plan was exceptional
    New CEO appears to be utilizing the aircraft more

Cons

Poorly managed flight department did not encourage use of corporate aircraft using a cost/price structure that made it's use unfavorable for most company departments.
    Young manager (micromanager) has shown extreme discrimination towards older employees.
    Beware, if you've been previously employed by a competitor they (management) will hold it against you.
    No raise in three years of employment.
    Not a friendly environment
    By far, the worst employer I have ever had, which is sad, it could be such a great place to work!

It appears the culture of the company is negativity. Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Listen, some people actually have good/great ideas even though they may not be at your level of the totum pole. Hiring friends and relatives is usually not recommended it can create distrust and negativity.

Still a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Finance Specialist  in  Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Finance Specialist in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Sentry Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed living in Stevens Point but not much more about working at Sentry. The one good point was the matching benefits of the retirement plan. It was a 100% match on the first 6%.

Cons

The culture was hostile and the health insurance was barely useable. the expectation was to work weekends and there was little to no appreciation for the extra effort.

Treat your employees better and try to foster a more supportive environment with middle management

Worked for Sentry Insurance? Contribute to the Community!