Sepaton

Sepaton Reviews

2.9

Mike Thompson

Interesting place

I worked at Sepaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big territories, good commission program.

Cons

Product line is dated and behind their direct competitors.

Don't just talk to each other talk to everyone, the company is not that big.

Mixed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Sepaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team, people, storage industry startup, had a good reputation for quality, still a qualified market for data protection

Cons

technology is dated, missing key components to compete, the market has passed it by. Too many software bugs and customer outages to survive. Politics have gotten bad, very insecure management creating poisonous situations.

Insist that product management build a product that customers actually want to buy, rather than deliver a product by a certain date whether it has useful features or not. Look at the competition in the industry and build something they don't already have.

There are better stable company to join

I worked at Sepaton full-time

Pros

-Good technology and domain learning

Cons

- Extremely stressful work environment
    - Lack work-life balance, is expected to work and respond on Sat /Sunday if required to.
    - Random Layoff, doesn't matter if your performance is good.
    - Pathetic management, manager cares about their job first.
    - Job instability and insecurity if you care.
    - H1B candidate be careful while considering the job position. Think before joining.
    - Company has no further product vision.

Sepaton provided me an opportunity to develop my channel sales and business development skillset.

Former Employee - Director of OEM Sales in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Director of OEM Sales in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Sepaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small Company and your efforts are recognized

Cons

Strategic Direction and Technology missed the market opportunity and is outdated. Never worked for a company that EVERYONE left at 5PM. No sense of urgency and leadership did not build good teams and provide feedback effectively.

Reinvent and expand direct sales team. Spend efforts branding the company and discard efforts to continue to work with HP

Less than desireable place to work

I worked at Sepaton

Pros

Good talented individuals, hardworking individuals, interesting product

Cons

Management team weak, culture of finger pointing, will always take credit for the positive outcomes and blame others for negative outcomes.

Take a good long look into the mirror, you are broken

Fast-paced, technically challenging, with a good management team

I have been working at Sepaton

Pros

It's a small company - you can have a big impact if you want to.

Management is extremely approachable and open.

We're working on the really hard stuff, both technically and in terms of competing with large and aggressive competitors.

Customers really like dealing with us - there aren't layers of bureaucracy that get in the way of direct conversations with management and engineering. The customer support team is exceptional, and customers recognize that.

The sales team is really getting into its stride this year under Mike Thompson. Some of the sales reps will have very large bonus checks this year!

Our new CTO (Jeff Tofano) is leading us into exciting new areas.

Cons

It's a small company - you have to pick up more responsibility than you would in a larger company, and large customers can wield a lot of influence, causing some unexpected changes to plans. If you like everything mapped out, spelled out, and executed to plan, you'll be disappointed.

2011 has been an amazing year of progress. We need to ensure that we balance the tactical and strategic in 2012 to achieve our goals for 2013 and beyond. Tactical issues will stress some groups, so pay close attention to their needs.

No Vision, No Work-Life Balance

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Sepaton

Pros

--Close interaction between engineering development, QA, CS teams
    --Friendly/Informal work atmosphere

Cons

--Leadership lacks vision, only concentrates on short-term goals to meet their individual "quarterly bonuses"
    --No work-life balance; If you are in engineering, your typical work day will be 10-12 hours a day in addition to implicit weekend work that you are expected to do
    --Incessant organization changes with immense favoritism influencing "who manages what" decisions
    --No raises/promotions from 2007-2010; people have no faith in the annual appraisals as it has turned out to be a joke - self assessment is the one and only thing that happens in annual appraisals.
    --Management does not work in the best interest of the company; they do not challenge decisions and do not provide constructive feedback for obviously incorrect decisions that are made; most of them are "yes men" who only say what the higher management team wants to hear in order to keep their jobs.
    --Few senior people, specifically in QA, are a nightmare for company's progress as they overpower new people that join the team, discourage new ideas with the fear of losing their "expert" tag. These people are really douche-bags who do not want to come out of their comfort zones and want to make the management feel that they are irreplaceable when in reality the company can easily hire a fresh graduate at 65k per year to do the same job they do at 150 K per year.

SEPATON has reached a point where it is really difficult to progress any further. Do not see a future for the company primarily from the product strategy and secondarily from the growth perspective. Good luck!

Major positive changes in a open, collaborative culture this past year.

I have been working at Sepaton

Pros

Sepaton is currently going through a major cultural transformation, the greatest change for the better that I have seen in my years at the company. For too many years each group was an independent silo with little or no cross group communication. It was almost like there were separate companies. Under the new leadership of the CEO and the SVP of products there is much more communications and collaboration. The leader of the product group has fostered a new spirit of teamwork, openness, trust, and respect for everyone. He has formed good linkages with other groups and we hear great feedback from SEs in the field and customers on how the product is doing in the real world. While in the past ideas were shot down, I now feel heard and am encouraged to come forward with new ideas even if they were unpopular in the past. The new strategy has been a long time coming, but it is promising and will give me the opportunity to learn new technologies.

Cons

The workload continues to be difficult as we are supporting some very large customers and a demanding OEM partner. A few more people in some key areas would certainly help, but if that is not possible then management needs to prioritize better because it is just not possible to do everything well.

Continue with the positives of openness and communications at all levels. Understand the details behind getting each job done and support those who are responsible for doing it.

It is a very trying work environment, some fun good people and some servre incompetence where it is least affordable.

I have been working at Sepaton

Pros

There are some fun, very talented people so the potential of learning is great. You can get involved in a variety of isuues that will help broaden your knowledge of business. Pay is finally compatible with other high-tech firms in the area.

Cons

This place has some big issues in execution. Lack of management involvement unless it is to deliver pain. Some of the bad corporate behavior has improved with the exit of a very controling VP. The VP encouraged poor behavior through their example, criticizing peers, subordinates and seniors in front of everyone. On the corporate operations level over the last four years it went from poor tgo worse to WTF. No CTO, no COO (title only) , no HR, weak engineering management, weak executive level management in CS, No Mfg Mgmt, No Program Management. Partners walking away, Sales team frustrated and money drying up. A lot of critical resources have given notice or looking.

Outside of the CEO and CFO, you need help at the executive level. Time to look at your senior management and ask the hard question, if the money was coming out of my pocket is this what I'd want for my team. Need to look at putting some solid effort into understanding the cloud and how we might play in that market because the market we are still trying to chase has left the station. Get rid of the non functional tag alongs in product and personnel.

There is no leadership, vision, innovation, or opportunity for your work to get noticed.

I worked at Sepaton

Pros

- Free soft drinks.
    - Free coffee machine.
    - 3 weeks paid vacation.
    - Summer BBQ's with beer.
    - Gutsy and hard working new CEO.

Cons

- Incompetent senior management.
    - Lack of vision, no architects, no CTO.
    - People leaving constantly.
    - People getting laid off frequently.
    - Lower management getting beat up.
    - Lots of process for a small company.
    - 10 years as a startup says a lot.

When I first joined SEPATON I was excited to apply what I had learned in my previous job to do some good. Hurdle after hurdle was thrown at me. It was difficult or next to impossible to do my job effectively because of one person who has control of everything that Engineering does. This person makes technical recommendations to software engineers, but has a build integration background. This does not make sense.

When I received my stock option package I was excited, but when I learned of how many outstanding shares there are I was taken aback. Always ask how many outstanding shares there are!!! Also, I learned that the vast majority of people that leave the company do not buy their vested options. I will be doing the same.

There is a lack of vision at SEPATON. Nobody wants to unite the whole company and paint a clear picture of the future. Everyone is just trodding along at their own leisurely pace. Every group feels fear since there are so many people that either get laid off or that quit, so every group blames the other group for something that's wrong with the product. Just fix it!

There is no opportunity for advancement. You have to be willing to get in bed with the senior management to get to the top. This involves drinking with them every Friday evening, doing their budding no matter how ridiculous the requests are, etc. These people are incompetent and the layoff that just occurred left the company with big holes that the current employees will struggle to fill. There was no transition plan in place either; one days notice is all SEPATON needs I suppose.

There is a glimmer of hope in the new CEO Mike Thompson. He has the guts to make tough decisions, but I don't know if it will be enough to sustain the company through rough times. I wish all of the colleagues that stayed behind the best and I hope that you guys can pull through and get back on top again. Unfortunately nothing stands still. Other companies are vying for your customers money.