Sephora
www.sephora.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sephora Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Calvin McDonald

Pros:
  • "A lot of fun - work life balance - training is very good - high standards"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Free products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels"
    in 31 reviews
  • "No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

On your feet, soldier! Millions of ____ depend on you!

Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee)
Danbury, CT

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to play with make up before the store opens, free discontinued or new products from sales reps, and you also get a 20% employee discount! You are

ConsYou are required to wear a full face of make-up, not a big deal for people who have tons of time...challenging if you have another (more messy) job, or kids. Working weekends was the worst! Also, I was hired as a fragrance consultant because I didn't posess a cosmetology license, (my 4 year fine art degree didn't adequately prepare me to sell blush to pimply teens according to middle management) . What they don't (and should) require is a degree in criminology, because there are at times more shoplifters than customers

Advice to Senior ManagementI think employees should be rotated between departments (skincare, fragrance, cosmetics, cash register, etc..) to gain more knowledge and experience of the products in that section, provide better customer service, and offset boredom! This would also lessen the turn around..

Great experience

Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sephora as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAsk other sale associates if you need help. They are very helpful and polite. Always provide good customer service to all the customers. Nice peers

ConsSome managers need to be more helpful and more polite to other employees. Some customers are kinda rude. Some not nice managers/customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe store would make more money if they hire less managers.There are too many managers. Some of them do nothing but standing around and talking to other employees. Hire less managers

At sephora you work very hard, but its fun, rewarding and the people are great!

I have been working at Sephora full-time

ProsGreat teams, fun projects - things move fast which is great to see your work take life.

ConsIt takes a VERY long time to move up at Sephora. People tend to work above their titles but to the extent that if the person decides to leaves, the company has to hire a more senior person to fill the role. Planning for this could be better and would keep employee's happier in their roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have good team members, make them want to stay by thinking of the big picture.

Great Core Values

Skincare Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Sephora part-time

ProsSephora is what you make it. I obviously can't speak on every location, but I will say for the most part it is an above average retail environment. Sephora truly has a great core value system. We get tons of gratis, and we are constantly trained on new and existing products in the store.

ConsConstant need to communicate over head set if you have to step off stage. Like seriously having to ask your DIC to go the bathroom can be demeaning. Good luck getting a weekend off.

Great Employees, Incentives and development but pay isn't as great.

Beauty Studio Captain (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Training, Gratis is wonderful, a lot of opportunities for promotions

ConsI feel like employees should be getting paid more

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great. It depends on the person. Walnut Creek, CA director is amazing.

Very flexible company, encourage growth~

Color Expert (Makeup Consultant) (Former Employee)
Appleton, WI

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

ProsI was encouraged to grow from day 1- they allowed me to transfer to another store in another state, only being employed a few months.

ConsMoney isn't as good as competitors, but gratis and work life balance make up for it.

Absolutely amazing team, you will love the journey Sephora takes you on with your cast

Color Lead (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGratis, experience, education, opportunity. This company has it all. Iv never been handed so much responsibility and been celebrated on my success so frequently.

ConsCostume, must always ben in tunic or suit. Even when its hot.... discount is only 20%

Advice to Senior ManagementMake my flame burn

Good Seasonal College Job

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros- It was fun getting to work (and play) with products.
- Good job for a college student getting on their feet
- Discount & free samples
- Generally busy environment (especially during holiday season), few slow boring "down time" periods.

Cons- No training for seasonal employees, and to my knowledge for regular sales associates (at the store I was working in, at least). While it is understandable that significant time cannot be put in training seasonal employees, an overview would have been helpful. Needed to learn as I went, which required more questions and interruptions to my superiors while on the floor, which would have been unnecessary with minimal training.

- No clarity as to when the position would end. One week I just was not scheduled and that was it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clarity and guidelines for handling seasonal employees, so that they may better trained, and more likely to be interested to either continue (if needed) or come back the following holiday season.

Great company to work for.

Loss Prevention Agent (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co workers, good schedule, good pay.

ConsSometimes slow during certain seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

The Dream Job

Skincare Lead (Current Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Sephora full-time for less than a year

ProsAlways opportunity for development and growth, constant education on products and brands, Cash Bonuses based off of Client Feedback, Sales goal bonuses as a team, Passion for clients and employees, great pay, company and in-store contests, stress free environment, and free products from the brands!

ConsCan be a high turnover rate, not enough time/payroll to finish operational duties, hours of a scheduled shift may be cut or added according to business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership team is amazing at what they do. Cast members are so open to learning and growing! I love my Store Director she is such a wonderful role model. What a great company. Keep up the great work.

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sephora CEO Calvin McDonald . All 490 reviews posted anonymously by Sephora employees.