Sephora

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

FSC (corporate) review. Smart, fast-paced culture. Company at a success peak.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and performance- and company-based bonus (which you're almost always sure to get given company's success in recent years). The culture is interesting (in a positive way). Very smart, very quick. Leadership is wonderful, but don't expect tons of warm fuzzies on a more personal level. They're perfectly nice and pleasant - but this is much more of a work-first culture (i.e. opposite of goofy, loose - but definitely *not* Devil Wears Prada level). It's not necessarily a bad thing because that's likely why the company's been so successful in recent years. Amazing track record of innovation - not being afraid to take some risks as a successful industry leader. It's quite a unique company because it's a large, global, successful brand - but start-up-like under the hood. Plenty of room for growth in your personal career as long as you're results oriented and smart. Each year they allow you to make requests to transfer between departments, and I've seen quite a few transition functions successfully (i.e. you aren't 'stuck' in a role/department you may not necessarily like forever). Also, I know a lot of folks tend to hate on the dress code, but I personally find it very easy to adhere to. As long as the primary outfit (e.g. shoes and accessories don't count) is black, white, grey-scale, red, or whatever Pantone's Color of the Year is, (and as long as it's generally work appropriate - e.g. wear leggings or tights if you wear a miniskirt) you can wear it. Finally, the reputation of the company/brand is so powerful that exit opportunities (if you ever choose to leave, that is!) are awesome. It's the holy grail of retail in many respects.

Cons

Like many things, the Cons here are mirror images of some of the Pros. Base salary is actually below industry standard because of the bonus structure. At the end of the tax year, it comes out pretty even - but it would be nice to get about half of the current bonus amount allocated across the base salary instead. Because the company has been so successful, leadership puts a lot of pressure on themselves and employees to keep pushing the envelope - more innovation, more revenue, etc. So far, the brand is so strong that it's been relatively organic growth. But competition is ramping up - so the pressure is bound to keep its trajectory. About 90% of the folks in the building are A+ student types. This breeds a lot of ambition. While the company runs so lean that you're almost never in direct competition with someone else (because everyone has ownership of their own duties/tasks with plenty of original/unique work to do individually), it feels like everyone's always trying to claw upwards and be noticed - separated from all the other A+ students (which is tough!).

Keep looking at that base/bonus equation. Especially in the Bay area, comp is competitive and cost of living is high. Otherwise, keep innovating and hiring smart, driven people.

Great company!

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

This company provides a fun and educational atmosphere on the latest beauty products. Training is provided from your beauty educator on staff. A lot of information to learn, but is an amazing gateway to a career in beauty, cosmo., and/or esthetician services.

Cons

At my specific store it took a long time to be trained and the store was quite unorganized behind-the-scenes. Products that had been RTW's (return items because they were out of date for sale) had been stored away in the storage room which lost a lot of revenue for the store. The reason this happened was because the operations position was not filled for months after the previous operations employee quit.

No advice. They are doing a great job at getting everything reset to how it should be.

It was rewarding and felt like a family.

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gratis! And great company values.

Cons

When the company was in a bind, they put a band aid on a situation - not an actually solution which in turn lead to half the staff leaving.

Getting the job and experience

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Salinas, CA
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Salinas, CA

I worked at Sephora as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, opportunity for advancement, fast paced working environment, great coworkers, nicest management, well organized, kept employees well informed, time managed, fun competitiveness

Cons

Not enough hours during seasonal job because they hired way to many people and didn't have enough hours to offer

Don't over hire seasonal members so you can give them nice hours while they're there

Great Career Company!!

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Discount, Bonuses, Gratis, Training/Knowledge, plenty of growth opportunities!

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

Not bad so far.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Gratis and a decent discount

Cons

Nothing to complain about so far.

Overall, good experience.

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Good training practices; very faced-paced, fun environment to work at. There is a lot to learn when it comes to the products and they definitely take the time to train you and keep you updated on new products.

Cons

Working long hours with only one long break. Not a lot of pay increase, and moving up in the company may not occur as fast as expected.

Management should be more consistent.

great company

Current Employee - Color Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

growth oppurtunities, great managers, fun environment

Cons

retail hours, sometimes feels micro-managed

I had a generally good experience working for Sephora

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Pros include gratis, sales bonuses, highly team-oriented, and generally energetic and positive atmosphere. I met some really great people who had the same interest and passion as me: make-up!

Cons

Management was sometimes disorganized and took advantage of their privelages. Problems were not often taken care of and looked over. I also found myself doing a lot of managers work that they did not want to do. Also, my availability was not always considered.

Consider employees availability and be more invested in the business. At least in my experience, poor management was the reason I departed with the company.

Pretty awesome.

Former Employee - Store Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Extensive development, innovative ideas, and value driven culture.

Cons

Pay is horrible at all levels.

Being in upper management myself, my best advice in working for this company is always writing your conversations with cast members down. You have a lot of cast members who will try anything to play victim with HR, even after having verbals, writtens, and finals. Ensure you have work life balance. Keep yourself separate from cast members.