Sephora Reviews

876 reviews filtered by
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. operation

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Health plan, Discount, pay, benefits

Cons

Hours depend on company, favoritism

2. Solid job for gaining experience. Tough to move up and grow

Current Employee - Color Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience. Education. Gratis. Management hires like minded, positive people. Bonus potential.

Cons

8 hour days standing. Tough communication during store hours. Cast members need to stay in their "zone" at all times.

3. I love it. beautiful company who beliefs in developing the people who deserve it most. fun,innovative and challenging.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly bonus, gratis, get to learn about the trendiest makeup, skincare, hair and fragrance. Everyone is usually upbeat and motivating.you get to be around makeup all day.

Cons

Starting pay for makeup artist with experience is lower that most companies.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, there is so much talent inside our company.

5. Overall great experience for specialty retail industry (corporate HQ)

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Values-based culture; passionate, innovative colleagues; I can make difference; great benefits and perks (e.g., generous vacation and sick time, 10 paid holidays); competitive total pay (includes large bonus) for top performers

Cons

With company's success, workload seems insurmountable, quality of output suffers. Some departments are very effective, some are not. Poor performers are given seemingly endless chances to improve and drag down performance and morale of the team.

Advice to Management

Continue to address competitive pay (total compensation includes bonus taxed at much higher rate, reducing competitveness of total comp). Improve corporate/internal communication. Update and improve HQ offices. Communication and corporate work environment do not reflect the brand, prestige/luxury, LVMH company.

6. lead

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Education, fun and gratis is given!

Cons

Mid shifts aren't great and drama is there...it's mostly a women environment

7. Loved it!

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, free products, training, pay, many many more

Cons

there were no cons for me, I loved everything about working here.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, everyone i dealt with was fantastic.

8. Amazing company!

Current Employee - Store Director in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Director in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sephora really cares about their employees and their clients. They invest in your development and really encourage you to own your own development.

Cons

They need to be more competitive with pay in the cosmetic industry, however between monthly and quarterly bonus, it makes up for it a little.

9. good experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do think it's worth it to work at Sephora or at least get some experience here. It is a positive experience. I have worked for other retailers, and I honestly felt like Sephora is the least frugal out of all of them. It seems like they are pretty generous to their employees. I was seasonal and hired at a reasonable hourly wage, and since our store did exception over the holiday, I got hella bonus money, I am talking like $100 a month when my two paychecks came out to about $600. Every week or so I would go in the break room and see food for us to take, which makes me feel good. All of my managers behaved professionally and I think they were fair to everyone. They set a good example for employees which I can appreciate. My store gave me hella hours and the scheduling website is really organized. Breaks are scheduled appropriately and I always felt like I was being taken care of as far as how I was feeling during the day, many times managers would stop and ask me if my day is going ok and if I am feeling alright, and you don't have to ask them for a break because it's already scheduled. Before you start your shift they go over the goals and your shift and break times.

Cons

cast members can behave and speak inappropriately, bad attitudes, not always friendly towards customers, feels like your personality has to be out of this world eccentric in order to fit in the store environment, schedules are not posted enough in advance, as a seasonal i did not get any gratis. at the beginning of this year they started focusing a lot of skin care and trying to see it (contests) which really turned me off. as a seasonal it took me forever just to get a shirt and that's because i literally begged them to find something in the back for me because i got tired of wearing my own black shirts. interview process lasted months and took 4 rounds which is totally unnecessary! did not allocate enough time in my shifts to watch educational videos.

Advice to Management

not really to management but to the company, you don't need contests to push for specific items. i think you should just let the items sell on their own, it's ok if the customer wants a foundation rather than a BB cream and you shouldnt force the BB cream on them just to win the skin contest. doesn't make sense

10. Amazing

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

Education, Education, Education. They train the heck out of you.

Cons

A lot of feedback

Advice to Management

Promote within

11. Operations Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Great Benefits, Bonus, & Incentives

Cons

Advancement Opportunities & Long Hours

Advice to Management

N/A