Sephora Reviews

830 reviews filtered by
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. Cast Member

Current Employee - Color Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of gratis. Management really cares about their people. We learn so much. We learn from all of our different brands and from our team also. Very friendly for LGBT Community. Benefits are great.

Cons

slow advancement. bad management of payroll hours by corporate office. Your have to treat the clients like queens no matter how elitist they are. Wish we could walk away from them when they are being really rude. Hourly wage is not the highest in the industry.

Try to balance the payroll. It's easy for them to look at a spreadsheet and say "oh we have to cut here & add here". We are human beings. We have lives, children & spouses. If you keep me or cut me I have to find someone to pick my kids up from school on a moments notice.

2. Great environment, Felt part of a family.

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sephora part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for about 3 1/2 years and really enjoy the job. Great pay, bonuses, and love the gratis. I really love the management and feel like I could always talk to them about anything. The company does a great job with education as well.

Cons

It's retail. So there of course can be some downsides to that.

Keep doing what you are doing.

3. It was an ok job.

Former Employee - Visual Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get benefits if you're full-time, gratis (free makeup), and consistent hours (if you are full-time).

Cons

sometimes leadership is never on the same page and the cast members don't know who to listen to. Cast members want to do whatever they want and don't support others who are in elevated roles.

Better communication with each other and their teams.

5. Great company, hard to move up

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for sephora! Great pay, monthly bonuses if you go over plan and excellent discounts. Very accepting environment.

Cons

Some employees can be catty and there isn't a lot of room for advancement, oftentimes you have to leave the company for a bit before you move up.

Work on the workplace culture and give employees chances to stay with the company in other capacities.

6. The best retail job I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First of all the gratis is unbelievably generous. The Company cares for the employees. I've worked for this company for 2 years and I've already met the CEO and was flown to headquarters for further education. If you're passionate for client service and the beauty industry, this company is for you.

Cons

I have not experienced a con.

7. Awesome company. Dream job.

Current Employee - Store Director
    Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing values, career opportunities with lots of room for growth.

Cons

There are it really any cons.

8. Great teamwork environment!

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Finding out great makeup tips, Creating consultant-client relationships, Great teamwork, Positive environment, Trustworthy employees, Awesome customers

Cons

Not enough of certain popular products in weekly shipments,

9. Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain

Former Employee - Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain
    Former Employee - Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment is fun, you really get to do what you love if you are an artist. The training, education and provisions given to you for you to reach success is definitely a perk. They will invest in you if they see your worth.

Cons

Very, very slow to move up into management. You MUST be able to be open to commute up to an hour, because they do not, absolutely do not, promote within one store. My honest opinion if you are not an artist and wish to be in management: Go get management experience somewhere else where it is easier to move up, and then apply for a management position at Sephora. Otherwise, it will take you years. Plus, they offer more money to outside hires without a doubt.

Figure out who is passionate about being in your store and HANG ONTO THEM. Develop them in the direction that they want to be developed and fight for them to get what they need, whether it be wages, trainings, or promotions. this is retail - talent doesn't wait around for you to finally appreciate it and treat it well. People will leave to work for brands, counters and other competitors if you don't make it worth their while. Besides, if you are truly so proud of being apart of the Vuitton family, then we all know you have the power to make it happen if you wanted!

10. Very Fun and Great People

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Wonderful! Fast paced but I loved it

Cons

Sometimes hours would get cut short but its all dependent on the business for that time

more cons then pros

Current Employee - Senior Artist
    Current Employee - Senior Artist

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

you get tons of product knowledge and education. the company does invest a lot of time in everyones education. You also receive a lot of free gratis (free product). they have good flexibility and work life balance. it a very fun environment and you really feel like family working there.

Cons

the challenges working at sephora is that it takes years of your time and dedication just to move up the slightest bit. And as you are doing so the pay is extremely low. they start you around $9 dollars a hour generally. thats what i started with and after 4 years i only got up to making $16 a hour. it would of been okay if i was still a cashier but i wasn't. and my list of responsibilities was endless. it consisted of preforming makeovers, certifying employees, training and preparing employees for certification, customer service, maintaining visual appearance, calling appointments, scheduling artists to take the appointments, ringing your own clients , meeting a quota for every smart technology in the store daily and money goals and looking after the store often. besides only getting up to $16 a hr. there is no commission and you are not allowed to accept clients tips. the also usually hire from the outside for management and don't even inform the employees so they can further their career with the company which makes no sense because they have dedicated employees that love their job and know the store and the business. but instead they hire people with know knowledge of cosmetics.

the one thing i feel that is holding back this company is the lack of pay. they want top notch artists and educators and they're not going to have that because people with that much experience know they deserve to be paid more. also move up your hard workers instead of always hiring outside. you would have life long dedicated workers that would relate more with the cast because they've once been in their positions