Sephora Reviews

Reset
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Work-life balance has changed to actually having one (in 37 reviews)

• The free products are a nice perk (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels (in 47 reviews)

• No work life balance- even when your home you still get calls (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Loving Sephora, So is everyone else!

Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a great workplace! I love how they educate all of us "Cast Members", it assures we know everything for the benefit of the Clients "Customers" . I love the way the business works, and how we have meetings, Classes. The way LV runs his company assures money coming in and a great business, It inspires me! Its a very positive work place, Always recognition of the cast members (Awards, marriage Proposals, Promotions, Hard Working..etc. .it's really neat! ..) It all gets recognized, and during daily meet ups, told to congratulate them! Its just great to be acknowledged when doing good.. not most companies do that. But the DIC "Managers" really are great. They help so much,..there's so much to learn from them, and hopefully I can make it to permanent cast and continue learning and working for them. There is so much room to grow within the company!

Sorry Everyone I'm writing a lot.. Just love working for Sephora & so much to say!

Cons

You can not have any "Lazy" days of work. You cant go in wearing sweatpants and a T if you are having a rough day, like in most retail! haha But its okay because it just means that if you plan on going out after work you're already dressed, your makeup and hair is already done & its actually fun getting all pretty early in the morning and you go out and everyone around town is still half asleep lol. But at most that's probably the WORST thing about it, nothing else at all... besides seasonal hours kind of suck except thanksgiving hasn't really hit yet, so maybe Ill get more!

Oh theres one thing that does kind of suck... if you were a frequent shopper from Sephora before you worked there.. you have to get your Sephora makeup scribed or you cant bring it in at all... Which sucks.. All my makeup is from there already.

Advice to Management

Don't hire as much seasonal.. Its hard to get in hours... especially because I am trying really hard to become permanent, that I feel like I don't have enough time to shine! & I don't want to work multiple jobs. I'm putting all of my heart in Sephora, therefore I wont get a second job since Sephora is my main focus.. So unless after the holidays I become permanent, Ill have to find more work :(

2. Fun Place to Work

Current Employee - Cast Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cast Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Training is good. Free makeup from brands

Cons

Pay is not competative. Pay is a low for a top retail store.

3. Great place to gain artistry skills

Current Employee - Color Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big on education and product knowledge. Gratis and work-life balance is awesome. Training's with brand reps. Great place to get started, build knowledge and artistry skills and build a makeup kit.

Cons

Long hours on your feet, can be very draining by the end of the day. Growth options are available and company has great values but it all depends if your management team uses them.

5. The challenge is worth the reward!

Current Employee - Store Director in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Director in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great values, people who work for people and they truly care about you! Free products, amazing training!

Cons

Big initiatives to meet that sometimes aren't thought through before rolling out. A lot to focus on.

Advice to Management

None

6. Brand Specialist

Current Employee - Brand Specialist in West New York, NJ
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist in West New York, NJ

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of free gratis, fun environment, 20% discount, 40% discount on Sephora brand, endless growth opportunities, attire is provided.

Cons

Strict time and attendance policy, clients sometimes are extremely rude, days requested off are not guaranteed, working late hours and even during holidays.

Advice to Management

Don't pay external hires more than your internal employees who have given you years of service.

7. Sephora Lead

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Great training! Great products, Gratis

Cons

They don't pay employees enough, so there is high turn over, results vary from location to location.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees when it comes to work, life balance and scheduling. Don't lose good employees because you over worked them.

Skincare Consultant

Current Employee - Cast Member in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Cast Member in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sephora truly invests in education. The company invests in its employees in order to fully prepare and care for the needs of Sephora customers. I can't speak enough about the educational benefits. An 8 week orientation is typically required before you can even start working on the floor (at least that was the case when I started). There are always new products and technology that makes one excited to work in this industry. My favorite thing about working at Sephora is that employees are able to be honest about what will and will not be appropriate for different needs. We are best able to discover a customer's needs and address those needs with the best fitting products to their needs rather than sell them something "because we have to". It's nice to leave the brand bias at the counters. We are able to sell all brands (after educated on them). I also love that we do not work on commission, so the we are all able to truly work as a team-- utilizing each cast members' strengths-- instead of compete against each other. You are able to have your voice heard (if needed or wanted, or if you have great ideas and ethic) on the corporate level. Much to celebrate at Sephora. Gratis is always a win, and the discount is better than no discount!

Cons

The pay is not great, not great at all. It's a growing company. Still a "baby" in regards to its life in America. There is still a lot of trial and error (which probably will happen anywhere you go if the company is trying to live!). And because of this, it is sometime difficult to keep up with all the changes.

Advice to Management

Listen and compassionately care about each member of your team. The love that I receive from my leadership is what has kept me at Sephora for such a long time. If you support and love your employees, they will support and love you.

9. Best job ever

Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, tons of gratis, tons of training, great discount

Cons

Getting hours, scheduling every two weeks, new terminology to learn

10. Color Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Oaks, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Oaks, VA

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Gratis, Bonus you make off surveys, Bonus you make off Store Sale.

Cons

You have to work your way up to get more hours. They don't give many full-time.

11. Best job EVER

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Gratis
    up beat
    friendly
    fun
    makeup
    amazing coworkers
    great pay

Cons

Cleaning
    Detail work
    Disrespectful customers
    people that steal

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

Showing 993 of 1,013 reviews