Sephora Reviews

824 reviews filtered by
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. Awesome company. Dream job.

Current Employee - Store Director
    Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing values, career opportunities with lots of room for growth.

Cons

There are it really any cons.

2. Great teamwork environment!

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Finding out great makeup tips, Creating consultant-client relationships, Great teamwork, Positive environment, Trustworthy employees, Awesome customers

Cons

Not enough of certain popular products in weekly shipments,

3. Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain

Former Employee - Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain
    Former Employee - Cash Auditor, Beauty Studio Captain

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment is fun, you really get to do what you love if you are an artist. The training, education and provisions given to you for you to reach success is definitely a perk. They will invest in you if they see your worth.

Cons

Very, very slow to move up into management. You MUST be able to be open to commute up to an hour, because they do not, absolutely do not, promote within one store. My honest opinion if you are not an artist and wish to be in management: Go get management experience somewhere else where it is easier to move up, and then apply for a management position at Sephora. Otherwise, it will take you years. Plus, they offer more money to outside hires without a doubt.

Figure out who is passionate about being in your store and HANG ONTO THEM. Develop them in the direction that they want to be developed and fight for them to get what they need, whether it be wages, trainings, or promotions. this is retail - talent doesn't wait around for you to finally appreciate it and treat it well. People will leave to work for brands, counters and other competitors if you don't make it worth their while. Besides, if you are truly so proud of being apart of the Vuitton family, then we all know you have the power to make it happen if you wanted!

5. Very Fun and Great People

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Wonderful! Fast paced but I loved it

Cons

Sometimes hours would get cut short but its all dependent on the business for that time

more cons then pros

Current Employee - Senior Artist
    Current Employee - Senior Artist

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

you get tons of product knowledge and education. the company does invest a lot of time in everyones education. You also receive a lot of free gratis (free product). they have good flexibility and work life balance. it a very fun environment and you really feel like family working there.

Cons

the challenges working at sephora is that it takes years of your time and dedication just to move up the slightest bit. And as you are doing so the pay is extremely low. they start you around $9 dollars a hour generally. thats what i started with and after 4 years i only got up to making $16 a hour. it would of been okay if i was still a cashier but i wasn't. and my list of responsibilities was endless. it consisted of preforming makeovers, certifying employees, training and preparing employees for certification, customer service, maintaining visual appearance, calling appointments, scheduling artists to take the appointments, ringing your own clients , meeting a quota for every smart technology in the store daily and money goals and looking after the store often. besides only getting up to $16 a hr. there is no commission and you are not allowed to accept clients tips. the also usually hire from the outside for management and don't even inform the employees so they can further their career with the company which makes no sense because they have dedicated employees that love their job and know the store and the business. but instead they hire people with know knowledge of cosmetics.

the one thing i feel that is holding back this company is the lack of pay. they want top notch artists and educators and they're not going to have that because people with that much experience know they deserve to be paid more. also move up your hard workers instead of always hiring outside. you would have life long dedicated workers that would relate more with the cast because they've once been in their positions

7. Sephora was an incredibly company to work for. We were continually educated on product, technique, skin science & more.

Former Employee - Color Expert (Makeup Consultant) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Color Expert (Makeup Consultant) in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Education. Perks. Benefits. Met industry giants and trained with the owners and faces of brands.

Cons

Instability of hours in retail.

8. Great Company

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, decent pay, room for advancement

Cons

Standing all shIft, rude customers

9. Fair employer, excellent leadership

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very invested in people. Started not knowing I'd make this my career.

Cons

Not enough people to do the job expected

10. Inspiring place to work

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here I truly feel set up for success everyday. This company is really all about the people - both clients and employees. I have worked places previously where no one cares about you and you are purely seen as an employee. Sephora is nothing like this they really care about your feelings, your goals, and your development (and sidenote: everyone hugs each other)! The ability to bonus is the most rewarding thing to me. Every single member of the Sephora team can bonus off of all the hard work they put in everyday. Crazy concept money really does motivate people to go above and beyond. Gratis and contests are also nice.

Cons

Not a lot of movement within management can make it difficult to move up locally. Having mobility is important if you want to move up. A lot of the systems and processes are very outdated, if you've worked at other retail places you will find yourself wondering why things are being done the way they are, there's so many better processes out there. Company spends a lot of money on conferences and trainings, which is great you get to travel, but there's so many things they could better spend their money on.

Continue being in the stores. This is the first place I have worked where upper management is constantly in the stores. I think it makes them better understand the struggles and success we are going through in the store and helps to reach better decisions on what direction to move the company in.

11. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Lead
    Current Employee - Operations Lead

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Lots of experience and education

Cons

Very hard to go up the ladder if you start at the bottom

Be more open to opinions