Sephora Reviews

Reset
3.6
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Work-life balance has changed to actually having one (in 37 reviews)

• The free products are a nice perk (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels (in 47 reviews)

• No work life balance- even when your home you still get calls (in 17 reviews)

1,099 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Loving Sephora, So is everyone else!

Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a great workplace! I love how they educate all of us "Cast Members", it assures we know everything for the benefit of the Clients "Customers" . I love the way the business works, and how we have meetings, Classes. The way LV runs his company assures money coming in and a great business, It inspires me! Its a very positive work place, Always recognition of the cast members (Awards, marriage Proposals, Promotions, Hard Working..etc. .it's really neat! ..) It all gets recognized, and during daily meet ups, told to congratulate them! Its just great to be acknowledged when doing good.. not most companies do that. But the DIC "Managers" really are great. They help so much,..there's so much to learn from them, and hopefully I can make it to permanent cast and continue learning and working for them. There is so much room to grow within the company! Sorry Everyone I'm writing a lot.. Just love working for Sephora & so much to say!

Cons

You can not have any "Lazy" days of work. You cant go in wearing sweatpants and a T if you are having a rough day, like in most retail! haha But its okay because it just means that if you plan on going out after work you're already dressed, your makeup and hair is already done & its actually fun getting all pretty early in the morning and you go out and everyone around town is still half asleep lol. But at most that's probably the WORST thing about it, nothing else at all... besides seasonal hours kind of suck except thanksgiving hasn't really hit yet, so maybe Ill get more! Oh theres one thing that does kind of suck... if you were a frequent shopper from Sephora before you worked there.. you have to get your Sephora makeup scribed or you cant bring it in at all... Which sucks.. All my makeup is from there already.

Advice to Management

Don't hire as much seasonal.. Its hard to get in hours... especially because I am trying really hard to become permanent, that I feel like I don't have enough time to shine! & I don't want to work multiple jobs. I'm putting all of my heart in Sephora, therefore I wont get a second job since Sephora is my main focus.. So unless after the holidays I become permanent, Ill have to find more work :(

2. Best job ever!

Pros

This is where life long careers and dreams come true!

Cons

Lots of metrics to measure at any given time but when managed well you are rewarded.

3. Lots Of Opportunity

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for growth and education. Competitive pay, and not commission based. Bonuses and other perks make it well worth it. Willing to support work life balance.

Cons

To advance, you often have to ask repeatedly to be noticed. It can often take some time to get promotions or feel that development is being supported. Retail hours are brutal, there is very little consistency in schedule, and clients are often mean and cruel - but these are not Sephora's fault necessarily, just a side effect of retail.

Advice to Management

More support of the advancement of employees, continual development of teamwork and understanding among leadership.

5. Awesome Place To Work!

Former Employee - Cast Member in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cast Member in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focus on education and service. I felt like my time was greatly used (i.e. I was never bored on the job). I learned a lot about all things makeup, skincare, hair and fragrance. And not just about specific products but also very detailed information on how the skin works, what ingredients work best and why, etc. The gratis of course is freaking awesome! A great way to actually try product before recommending it to a client. Also, I worked with the best cast team ever. The managers were always caring and supportive. They really wanted to help you move up in any way they could.

Cons

Hours can be cut if the budget is cut which can suck when you have bills to pay. Beyond that, it is working in retail so you will deal with the typical retail issues. No biggie.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. Great Company but has its flaws

Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain
    Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's always something new going on in store so it never gets boring. New products, events, launches etc... If you're in the right store, your team will become like a family so work will seem more fun than most retail jobs.

Cons

The harder you work, the more responsibility they place upon you without giving you the title, pay, or recognition. Also, the pay isn't competitive.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people. A simple, thank you, can go a very long way and help retain your employees.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful, compassionate, education focused.

Cons

Shifts are shorter than usual.

Advice to Management

None- they are confident and helpful.

Fun but no Work life balance

Current Employee - Skin Lead in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Skin Lead in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Very fun atmosphere. The company is extremely organized. There is a system for everything so you are guaranteed for success.

Cons

It is almost impossible to have a family or be a student when you work here. They dont want anything else taking up your time.

The good and the bad...

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor - Color in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor - Color in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired at Sephora in Manhattan, Times Square. I fell in love with the welcoming attitudes of all the employees and instantly gravitated to Sephora and applied for a job my first time there. The training was very well done and lively. Everyone I encountered was very passionate about their job and very happy to be there.

Cons

The worst issue in my opinion is getting searched. Yes, SEARCHED. I'm not sure if this is done at every sephora but they search you and your belongings when you check in to work (what's the point?) and they search you again when you leave. I read every material we were given and everything on the hiring site and it was never mentioned anywhere. We were never warned about this and on orientation day we were all a bit shocked when we were lined up and asked to take off our coats and open our purses in front of everyone. Note that none of us were anywhere near any products, it was just a big empty room with a projection screen, tables, and chairs.They sifted through our belongings, opening every bag inside. I felt extremely uncomfortable and violated, a warning would have been nice! I'm sure some of the 40 people there had something embarrassing in their bag. Also, the hiring process was VERY lengthy and confusing (3 interviews: 2 group interviews, 1 individual interview). I suspect this was unique to Manhattan as there is a large pool of applicants that must be narrowed down. Lunch was supposed to be provided during orientation since we were required to be in attendance from mid morning and into the afternoon, instead we were given some warm soda and oreos lol. No big deal but it was annoying. They were also strangely adamant about us not taking the notepad/pen we used to take notes during orientation. I found that a bit odd.

Advice to Management

Inform employees that they will be searched, clarify the hiring process, and don't be stingy about your pens. :P

Cast member (sales associate)

Former Employee - Cast Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for if you have a great manager who knows how to delegate. Hours are great if your knowledgeable in skincare makeup and register. Get makeup certified. Tons of gratis. If your a talented makup artist and very comfortable around people you'll do just fine here. Entry level work. Client service, I worked in color so I was stationed at the beauty studio most of the time.

Cons

Pay. Ask for what you deserve. It's hard to get a raise even when they promise you. High turn over. Sometimes hours get cut when it's slow. Pay is very very low unless you work in a bustling city.

11. SiJCP, a great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Jcp Sephora Product Consultant in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Jcp Sephora Product Consultant in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis, education, lots of hours with a relatively good paycheck, lots of opportunity to move up in the company. Bonus if you have a good sales month.

Cons

They don't always hire at skill level, sometimes co-workers aren't on the same level as you, constantly educating co workers. JCP managers don't know anything about sephora, making it hard to work with them when your superior isn't around.

Advice to Management

Educate the JCP managers more on sephora practices and policies.

Showing 1,099 of 1,121 reviews