Sephora Reviews

862 reviews filtered by
3.8
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. good experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I do think it's worth it to work at Sephora or at least get some experience here. It is a positive experience. I have worked for other retailers, and I honestly felt like Sephora is the least frugal out of all of them. It seems like they are pretty generous to their employees. I was seasonal and hired at a reasonable hourly wage, and since our store did exception over the holiday, I got hella bonus money, I am talking like $100 a month when my two paychecks came out to about $600. Every week or so I would go in the break room and see food for us to take, which makes me feel good. All of my managers behaved professionally and I think they were fair to everyone. They set a good example for employees which I can appreciate. My store gave me hella hours and the scheduling website is really organized. Breaks are scheduled appropriately and I always felt like I was being taken care of as far as how I was feeling during the day, many times managers would stop and ask me if my day is going ok and if I am feeling alright, and you don't have to ask them for a break because it's already scheduled. Before you start your shift they go over the goals and your shift and break times.

Cons

cast members can behave and speak inappropriately, bad attitudes, not always friendly towards customers, feels like your personality has to be out of this world eccentric in order to fit in the store environment, schedules are not posted enough in advance, as a seasonal i did not get any gratis. at the beginning of this year they started focusing a lot of skin care and trying to see it (contests) which really turned me off. as a seasonal it took me forever just to get a shirt and that's because i literally begged them to find something in the back for me because i got tired of wearing my own black shirts. interview process lasted months and took 4 rounds which is totally unnecessary! did not allocate enough time in my shifts to watch educational videos.

Advice to Management

not really to management but to the company, you don't need contests to push for specific items. i think you should just let the items sell on their own, it's ok if the customer wants a foundation rather than a BB cream and you shouldnt force the BB cream on them just to win the skin contest. doesn't make sense

2. Operations Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Great Benefits, Bonus, & Incentives

Cons

Advancement Opportunities & Long Hours

Advice to Management

N/A

3. Associate Brand Manager

Current Intern - Associate Brand Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Associate Brand Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great brands, team and future development perspectives.

Cons

Lack of established processes due to the company's start-up structure.

Advice to Management

Great company to work for!

5. Store director

Current Employee - Store Director in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Store Director in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Sephora is the best retail experience that you can have. If you would like to grow, there are limitless opportunities available that does not involve management, and you get an environment where people celebrate you, support you, and encourage you to be the best that you can be. As a Store Director, I have a great network of peers who not only challenge me but also supports me in any initiatives that I champion. The bonus structure is also amazing. I've never been with a company that has so many ways to bonus (5 different bonus for SDs, 1 monthly, 3 quarterly, and 1 annual).

Cons

Being a store director isn't easy; it is completely stressful all the time, and that's why you really need peer support. Because the company is so innovative, things are always changing and it requires really quick adjustment and flexibility. One of our values is work/life balance, and as a SD, I find it easy to provide it to everyone but myself.

Advice to Management

It create an environment where people are given challenging but achievable goals. Operational workload need to be reduce, so more time can be spent providing excellent client service.

6. Operations Consultant

Current Employee - Sephora Operations Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sephora Operations Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Gratis!, great position to grow, great career opportunities

Cons

Working weekends, angry/ snobby customers, having to learn makeup if you are not into it, a lot of responsibility.

Advice to Management

As a Operation Consultant, you get to be behind the scenes processing shipment, making sure everything is filled, merchandising, and reporting anything that becomes broken in store. You are basically doing everything behind the scenes aside from sales but are also held accountable to be a supevisor and run the sales floor. Is a lot of responsability. I love working for Sephora.

My advise to management is as an Operations Consultant you are basically behind the scenes, they shouldnt have to
    Be accountable for sales that should
    Be Seniors responsabilities. Work life balance? If you have a family and kids i wouldnt recomment this job as is very time consuming (is retail) schedules are never mon-friday.

7. Store Director

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

There is room for advancement, training program is great, competitive pay, great bonus program, fun company to work for. Who doesn't love to make people feel pretty!

Cons

Business is complex, a lot to learn coming from outside the company. Heavy workload to balance at a management level and high expectations. High turn on an associate level which means more training to complete.

Advice to Management

It takes some time to get a grasp on the business and all of its intricacies.

8. Product consultant

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, gratis, good for moving up

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company

9. Cash wrap

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Awesome co workers and clients

Cons

Not open 24 hr lol :p

10. Product Consultant

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Fun and exciting atmosphere. The people and the customers are very bubbly and energetic.

Cons

Varying and confusing work hours makes the schedule hard to remember and the odd start times can be a headache to.

11. Absolutely loved the comapny and the team!

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training, the gratis, the team atmosphere.

Cons

Slow season = no hours.