Sephora Reviews

Reset
3.6
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Work-life balance has changed to actually having one (in 37 reviews)

• The free products are a nice perk (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels (in 47 reviews)

• No work life balance- even when your home you still get calls (in 17 reviews)

1,030 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Loving Sephora, So is everyone else!

Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a great workplace! I love how they educate all of us "Cast Members", it assures we know everything for the benefit of the Clients "Customers" . I love the way the business works, and how we have meetings, Classes. The way LV runs his company assures money coming in and a great business, It inspires me! Its a very positive work place, Always recognition of the cast members (Awards, marriage Proposals, Promotions, Hard Working..etc. .it's really neat! ..) It all gets recognized, and during daily meet ups, told to congratulate them! Its just great to be acknowledged when doing good.. not most companies do that. But the DIC "Managers" really are great. They help so much,..there's so much to learn from them, and hopefully I can make it to permanent cast and continue learning and working for them. There is so much room to grow within the company! Sorry Everyone I'm writing a lot.. Just love working for Sephora & so much to say!

Cons

You can not have any "Lazy" days of work. You cant go in wearing sweatpants and a T if you are having a rough day, like in most retail! haha But its okay because it just means that if you plan on going out after work you're already dressed, your makeup and hair is already done & its actually fun getting all pretty early in the morning and you go out and everyone around town is still half asleep lol. But at most that's probably the WORST thing about it, nothing else at all... besides seasonal hours kind of suck except thanksgiving hasn't really hit yet, so maybe Ill get more! Oh theres one thing that does kind of suck... if you were a frequent shopper from Sephora before you worked there.. you have to get your Sephora makeup scribed or you cant bring it in at all... Which sucks.. All my makeup is from there already.

Advice to Management

Don't hire as much seasonal.. Its hard to get in hours... especially because I am trying really hard to become permanent, that I feel like I don't have enough time to shine! & I don't want to work multiple jobs. I'm putting all of my heart in Sephora, therefore I wont get a second job since Sephora is my main focus.. So unless after the holidays I become permanent, Ill have to find more work :(

2. Best job I have had yet!

Current Employee - Cashier in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they're very flexible and easy going and patient! They give you plenty of training

Cons

no cons I can think of. so far it's been an absolute pleasure

3. Great environment

Current Employee - Skincare Consultant
    Current Employee - Skincare Consultant

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, educating the cast

Cons

Uniforms are ugly. Back room is too tight for that many cast! No place to sit for break time

Advice to Management

Invest in your retail cast who are really interested to work in the corporate

5. Cashier

Current Employee - Recovery Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Recovery Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Good employer discount, great team work

Cons

Angry costumers but everything is really good

Advice to Management

Keep the good work

6. I love Sephora!

Current Employee - Cash Wrap in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cash Wrap in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis Working around makeup Great store director Fun if you love beauty Employee discount

Cons

Retail pay (but higher than most) Sporadic scheduling - 30 hours 1 week, 5 hours the next Doesn't transition employees well from seasonal to permanent Cattiness among coworkers, which is why it's best to stay professional and don't bring your personal life to work

Advice to Management

Meet with employees when they go from seasonal to permanent to make sure everything is set up for them - their own locker, being able to look at paystub online, uniform, etc. I had to beg for everything I needed.

7. Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of development, free stuff, fun people

Cons

I worked in two stores and not consistent in policy and procedures. One store was very rigid and the other was a mess..

Advice to Management

Consistency

8. Good company

Former Employee - Skincare Expert in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Skincare Expert in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis! As in free products. But you don't get to pick them. I had a really nice and supportive management team I worked for at the UTC location. If the store does well (sales-wise) everyone gets a bonus based on hours worked during that time. We got bonuses all the time. It was a fun job for me. I got to speak to people about stuff that would help their skin look and feel better all day and I got inside info about new products and stuff like that. They have a pretty extensive training program so you know what you're talking about when selling products and can give educated recommendations.

Cons

It's still ultimately a retail job and the pay and future opportunities within the company reflect that.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue supporting your staff. As a retail environment, customers (or rather clients) don't always treat cast members with respect and managers need to protect them from abuse. My experience in this respect was very positive but not every store has the same awesome managers I did.

9. a fun experience

Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great discount, meet a lot of new people with the same interest, and lots of gratis. very flexible scheduling and great training.

Cons

Takes very long time to move up in the company, regardless of skill. take very long to change departments, and hr takes forever even for the simple things.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and encourage growth! no one wants to get somewhere they are not happy.

10. Beauty advisor

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant/Makeup Artist in Bear, DE
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant/Makeup Artist in Bear, DE

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis, plan monthly events to promo brands in store, pay

Cons

Express services time frame is too short, doesn't teach you actually makeup techniques, just ones given by the brand

Advice to Management

My manager was terrible but it did not affect my time working at sephora I still loved it! My previous manager had no prior experience in makeup or management so it made it difficult to work with her.

11. Good place to work

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Mutual respect, fast moving and up to date technologies.

Cons

Dress code. Also none of the perks at a typical SF tech company.

Showing 1,030 of 1,050 reviews