Sephora

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Exceptional

Current Employee - Store Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

People are great! From the field to the corporate office, the company is driven by a set of values that they truly deliver on. Fun, innovative, and client and employee friendly. Good pay and great bonuses at all levels. Feels good to work for a company with positive comps year after year.

Cons

Lot's to learn with over 200 brands offered. Technology is always changing and the IT dept can not always keep up.

Continue to live by the values as the company expands and grows.

Proud to be apart of this amazing company!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, values based, people focused, continued education, growth and development.

Cons

Inconsistent communication and direction

Streamline focuses to strengthen team buy in and results, improve payroll allotment, improve timeliness of maintence needs.

It was a big decision, I'm glad I made it, and I hope to continue to grow here.

Current Employee - Beauty Leader in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Beauty Leader in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sephora is value based. We put the client first. This company allows me to see all other companies in a different light. There are very, very few companies like us. We empower women, and that makes me extremely proud to work for Sephora.

Cons

Like with most companies, if you are not mobile, and you live in a small market, there is little opportunity for growth.

Listen to the "little people". These are who interact, consult, advise, demonstrate, and literally touch the very foundation of our business---the client!

I do makeup applications on clients

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

I love everything about this job!

Cons

nothing that I can think of!

Scheduling can be better

Still the best decision I made after 10 years

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Company values are alive and well. People development and growth are a focus. Leaders who inspire and motivate. Can't ask for much more.

Cons

Too many steps for some processes

Don't ever, ever forget the values. Quiet and reserved is not a bad thing, it is a personality that calms and balances.

Best decision of my life!

Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People oriented, values its cast members and leadership teams, gives employees a voice and always takes feedback for improvement, innovative, FUN!

Cons

It's retail, and retail is not for everyone, but it is for me! Can you take a vacation once BlackbFriday hits through January? Of course not. It's retail, and that's the name of the game. But you will have FUN!

Continue to work at being inventive and innovative. EDU position is complex! Consider an EDU Specialist in all doors, to handle brand management, Onboarding, Welcome to Sephora, Sephora 101 and 201. Also, an EDU Lead to handle Training in box, DD management, non-video DD. This would allow for better training of cast, would impact a lower turnover rate, and would help in building a strong bench in all doors. In regards to technology, download the Color IQ and Skin IQ apps into the IPads in the store, as well as add Color IQ as an option in Fragrance and Skin IQ to allow quicker access to cast members.

Sephora really values its employees. By far one of the best retail companies I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Store Director in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Director in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Gratis. People. Makeup! Fragrance! Peers. Life long relationships. Discounts. Education. Trainings.

Cons

Retail, working weekends. Rude clients. Holiday hours. Dealing with mall managements. Shop lifters.

Innovated work place with very talented people.

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very caring employer that makes people the main focus. Constant training and amazing product innovation. The company listens to its people and takes their suggestions seriously.

Cons

The operational work load can sometimes feel overwhelming.

Continue to discuss career advancement with your people to keep employees motivated.

Awesome company that cares about it's people

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Values based, sense of teamwork, positive environment, careerpathing, positive upper management, competitive pay, bonuses, benefits, leadership team, inspiring initiatives - overall it's rewarding working with a great team and the company is always growing/expanding so there's always opportunity to challenge yourself with something new.

Cons

Retail hours at times, limited time off period at holiday, work life balance at times

Keep focusing on developing careerpathing. There has been a great improvement in this over the past few years. Love the company's streamlined focus at all levels!

Great company to work for

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

learn a lot about sales and dealing with clients. Make a lot of great friends

Cons

not as flexible as I would have liked. Lots of terribly difficult clients

be more selective when hiring people for management postions