Sephora
www.sephora.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sephora Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Calvin McDonald

Pros:
  • "Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Free products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail)"
    in 33 reviews
  • "No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was never appreciated or valued in this company.

Color Consultant (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsDiscount for makeup and skincare. Meeting cool people.

ConsExpect a career - not gonna happen, expect raise - 15 cents a year is a raise, everything else is negotiable to $1 a year, if you worth more no one cares. All the values that they talk about are only in the book, all they want is SELL- SELL- SELL. No commission, no thank you for multi-clienting 4 people at a time for 6-8 hours straight and a miserable bonus. 40% of my co-workers quit before 6 month of employment. I never got a full-time position. I'm quitting this month and very happy about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people who work for you a little bit more. Color consultants need work shops for elevating their artistry skills.

fake beauty

Director (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prospays well, nice office, good discount

Conspassive agressive, not supportive, unrealistic expetations

Advice to Senior Managementbe truthfukl

No Amount of Beauty Makeup Can Cover Up the Ugly of this Place

San Francisco, CA

ProsSF Headquarters is convenient to get to through mass-transit. Sometimes you get free samples of product, which is always fun. Having Sephora on your resume is a gain.

ConsThe whole atmosphere felt like a bad high school movie: sorority-clique staff, usually incompetent and attaining the job through connections rather than knowledge in the field. Promotions are based on favoritism rather than measured work achievement. There is no job security, which I saw at HQ when one girl was fired on the spot for nothing specific. Working hard, putting in late hours, and going above the call of duty is not recognized, even verbally. I saw many talented people, from full-time workers to unpaid interns, be verbally abused, overworked, disrespected, and quickly discarded, or run far away when they witnessed such events happen to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBasically reverse all mentioned cons above. Hire capable, smart people. Have open, honest conversations about expectations, goals, and regular check-ins. Be respectful to workers. When you must let someone go, give them notice so they can prepare for their next move. Try to include everyone, or have activities where people can mix and mingle so favoritism and clique behavior won't be so rampant. Understand when you have talent and try to encourage and keep that talent in-house.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun? Yes. Sephora does not care about you though.

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosyes there are little incentives such as free cosmetics and samples and even brand training. Pay as well. However, this is simply enacted to distract you and hide something lurking beneath the surface. Which brings me to my next point.

ConsThere is no such thing as job security. Jobs are kept sadly as a result of favoritism and not hard work as they try to state in the initial interviews. The whole call center is NOT beauty certified- don't let anyone fool you. They do not care when they fire you and they will not give you even a weeks notice. The first time they let me go it was Christmas Eve, the next time my birthday after receiving the day off from the manager weeks in advance. Going above and beyond will not help you in this job. Most of the permanent staff is incompetent, the team leads are cliquey as well as a majority of the staff. If you need a temporary job then go for it but be aware, even though the floor managers smile at you, they will and can be easily heartless!

Slave to Corporate

ProsGratis, time off, and other benefits are pluses of working at the Sephora HQ. The company continues to grow and continues to be successful, in general. The Pros end here.

ConsThe women here are catty and abrasive to each other. There is a culture of pointing fingers, passing the buck, and throwing people under the bus. I have witnessed this many times over. It is uncomfortable watching people get talked down to. You have to have thick skin to work here.

Work/Life is an issue. Everything is treated as urgent and must be done, YESTERDAY. The place is understaffed, and people are over overworked. Turnover is high. I have never seen or met so many unhappy and catty people.

Telecommuting is nearly impossible and in general, not accepted and frowned upon.

There is a dress code. In a "fashion forward" and "creative" environment, it is shocking that a dress code of only being able to wear certain colors is enforced.

There are incompetent senior managers (director level and above) who do not inspire change or have the motivation to change things for the better. Some senior managers have absolutely no clue on the business they are running. Some don't even know basic top line numbers. It is alarming they were promoted to as high up as they are. Around here, you get promoted based on how much you kiss up, not based on how smart or skilled you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat. Find root cause as to why employees are unhappy and why turnover is high.

Corporate Culture and Management KILLED my love of this brand

ProsYou feel proud of yourself for getting the job, it sounds cool to say you work at Sephora, you do get access to great brands, there is free beauty products

ConsBackstabbing, politics and cattiness run rampant. Tenured employees and VPs are only stakeholders. Extremely top-heavy company. Do not expect a voice. HR is the worst department because they have no power, and worse, no empathy. If you are unhappy, you will be shown the door. The compensation does not make up for the horrible company culture. There are no "bed-side manners" from any execs. Be warned - you think it will be awesome but you will end up hating your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to care about the company culture, as well as entry level and midlevel employees, because news flash - EVERYONE wants to quit

No room to grow. Biased managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGratis. Learn some things first hand from brands that come in.

ConsManagers express clear favoritism. Treat those lower than them like crap. Absolutely no room to grow in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally. Communicate with the other managers so you don't tell a member one thing and the other manager says opposite.

A horrible place to work if you have ANY experience in make up artistry

Senior Education Consultant (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsA great place to work if you are a beginner and looking for a great place to learn the basics.

ConsThis company does not care at all about their product consultants as well as their clients all it is to them is how much money they can make and how fast they can make it . This is due to over saturation.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are lost the true essence of what Sephora is really about

Corporate doesn't know company values.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsManagement structure in store is built for success, and focus on education is high.

ConsStore management is instructed to build an educational and supportive environment, and to focus on the many opportunities employees have for advancement. This environment does not exist beyond the store level however, and regional management will make no effort to prepare or assist you in your advancement. It's unfortunate that the values Sephora claims to represent are clearly not those of its' regional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the values.

Worst job experience I've ever had. Extreme letdown.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary: Compared to other retail jobs making $10 an hour was pretty great.
    Gratis: Still haven't received it even though I resigned awhile ago, but the idea is nice I guess.

ConsManagement: Too many managers or "DICs". You are told by one DIC that something is okay and then an hour later you're getting pulled aside and scolded like a child because the next DIC apparently doesn't think that is how something should be done. Management was extremely unapproachable. There method of managing involved public humiliation and looking at you like you're crazy for daring to ask a question or bother them. Then they act super confused and irritated when mistakes are made.

You are treated like a criminal. Bag checks anytime you leave the store. Apparently bag checks are common in the cosmetics world, but too bad they would steal your lunch time by checking the bags once you've already clocked out. And since a DIC has to check your bag; good luck finding one. So you've already lost about 5-8 minutes of your lunch break looking for a DIC to check your bag and then the physical act of going through your purse/jacket/wallet pocket-to-pocket.

Favoritism is very prevalent. Once the holiday season started to slow down hours were cut tremendously depending on whether you were "liked" or not. Some girls were working 35+ hours still while others who weren't liked as much were getting as little as 5-10 hours a week. Luckily they didn't hate me as much as they did other girls so I still had about 17-20 hours once holiday season slowed down. You can tell who the DIC's like and who they don't. They make it very obvious.

Since taking a 15 minute break isn't a law; except to get a lot of attitude if you darn ask for one. Eventually I stopped asking because I was tired of constantly being treated like I was a lazy employee. Fifteens should be encouraged so people who want one don't get treated differently for asking for one. Sometimes after standing for 4 hours it's nice to sit down for 15 minutes, but according to Sephora that is asking for too much.

Customers are not first at Sephora. I can’t even tell explain how many times I, and other seasonal workers, were snapped at because we darned help a client. One day I was asked to be a greeter. A woman walked in and asked me where Bare Minerals was (She clearly said she had never been in this Sephora before). I walked her towards the direction of the brand (Didn’t even walk her the entire way) and turned right back around to go back to the door to greet. I was then pulled aside and told I needed to POINT people in the direction and not move from the door. Another one of the girls I worked with was also greeting and a woman walked in asking her about a YSL lipstick, and so she briefly told the woman about the lipsticks, and she was given the same lecture and to send them in the way of the Color Experts. Remind you; this is during Holiday season when ALL of the employees are busy. A few hours later a woman came in and asked me about a primer. Since I was told I couldn’t move from the door, and pretty much told not to speak to customers I tried to find a Color Expert that could help her (Even though I was knowledgeable about the product) which to no surprise was pretty impossible so I went to the DIC and her response was “Tell her its going to be 10-15 minutes until someone can help her”. I was seriously asked to tell a customer to wait 10-15 minutes for a simple request. Of course the clients get annoyed and you're the one that has to deal with the attitude.

Inconsistent schedule. The schedule had been changed, without notice, on more than one occasion. Luckily I never missed work or came in late (just 3 hours early one day, which I was told since I was already there start working so that turned into an 11 hour shift), but I know a few other people who missed work because they were following the original schedule made since no one informed them about the change and they were given a lot of attitude even though it wasn't there fault.

Hard-work is not recognized. I don't need constant recognition, but if someone goes beyond for a client or doing a good job; recognition should be given. I, personally, was very good at signing people up for the Beauty Insider cards. On average I would get between 15-20 a day. Which is a lot, since most of the other cashiers didn't seem to ask if the client wanted to sign up; if they didn't already have one. Not once did any management take knowledge of this. In my interview I was told the Beauty Insider customer spends $50 more dollars a month than someone who isn't... So, if I got 20 BI a day that could be $1000 a month. But, they didn't care or didn't feel it was necessary to give recognition.

Overall; it was an awful experience. I dreaded going to work everyday which was very disappointing because I was a HUGE Sephora customer before I started working there. I don't even feel like shopping there anymore since I know how horrible the in's of the company are. I resigned and went back to my previous employee where I was making $1.50 less, but at least it wasn't a hostile work environment. Very disappointed.

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sephora CEO Calvin McDonald . All 543 reviews posted anonymously by Sephora employees.