Sephora

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Sephora Inside JCPenney- Seasonal Position

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun to work with makeup and interact with customers. Decent discount because you are technically a JCP employee.

Cons

Zero work-life balance. Small staff so very competitive and immature. Limited hours, no room for growth. My location asked that we sign paperwork saying we would not commit fraud with the Beauty Insider program, then coworkers actively committed fraud so that their registration percentages would not be low.

Get rid of the bad management at the store level instead of working with them! Gratis should extend to all employees. Also, more hands on training instead of watching brand videos.

Beverly Center waste of time.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sephora (less than an year)

Pros

None everything was a lie

Cons

no hours management gives hours to the same seasonal girls when they hired on 25 girls. rotating the girls would have been fair. we did all these interviews just be let go after receiving 3 paychecks. The paychecks were only for a bout 3 days at a time. Some girls have barely worked 2 days and dont have any income to fall back on. Sephora Beverly Center has wasted our time. Instead of assuming you could afford to hired 25 girls (which was way more than the previous years), you should have played it smart. Now you look like liars. Not to mention the lack of communication from management to the seasonal employees about hours. We had to hear it being whispered through the store.

Be honest and show the values you claim your company was built on.

If I wanted to be a cashier, I'd work at Target

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Generous discount on amazing products, fun atmosphere, always something going on. Other than that, I wouldn't know because I was stuck behind the wrap desk.

Cons

Low pay, was hired as a Make up Artist but once there, I had to 'work my way up" to it. Are you kidding?! I've worked in film and television, with over twenty years as an artist... I was talked down to by staff and so called management. No Thanks.

Horrible management

Former Employee - Color Consultant
    Former Employee - Color Consultant

I worked at Sephora part-time

Pros

Working with makeup, generous gratis

Cons

Absolutely horrible management, seasoned artists start out with people who have never applied makeup professionally, favoritism, lower pay than other cosmetic companies, cutting of hours, gossip, who you know not what you know, at all, because 99% of sephora employees are not certified muas, let alone know how to do makeup.

Serious change is needed. Screen your employees better and stop hiring people with no experience over SEASONED artists or trained professionals.

Great discount, horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learning about makeup and skincare. Making customers truly happy and confident.

Cons

Horrible management, stuck up people, theft because no one can keep an eye on the teens that constantly steal.

Stop treating your employees like slaves. You don't own them. Maybe if you stopped treating everyone so badly, they wouldn't quit or walk out on you.

HORRIBLE!

Current Employee - Color Cast Member in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Color Cast Member in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gratis......and Uhm
    ...................................???

Absolutely nothing else, I liked the fact that I had no copays when I went to the doctor lol!

Cons

Micromanagement! Store director is a bully, and very inconsiderate. Lying backstabbing managers,Shady co-workers, if I here one more thing about "cash wrap, cm certified,backstage, onstage" crap I'm gonna scream very loud. Very political, Blatant and I do mean BLATANT favoritism,unprofessionalism from management, education consultant looks like she rolled out of bed half of the time, and has the nerve to tell me a thing or two!..... ETC!

I started working here about 3 months ago. I quit my job to come to Sephora, thinking there was more growth opportunity, and hoping I could sharpen my make up artistry.......NOT!
    although there are some extremely talented people in color here that I learned a lot from, it was totally NOT worth giving up what I already had. I was hired as a "Part-time Partial" color artist, and during my interview I was told I was GUARANTEED 32 hours, and a bonus that would make up for the comission. I made at my previous job. which actually meant 20hoursish and being sent home if traffic was slow. The bonus is nothing! I was told all of these lies upfront, thinking I was going to be able to come here and do make up free willingly only to find out I have to be "Sephora certified" to do this lol also I've been pulled in the office about 3 times already over NONSENSE! "Do you feel like you're a good fit here?" Like stop with the subliminals already lol. Not to mention I walked "Backstage" once, and I walked into a male manager talking about thots...HOW UNPROFESSIONAL!!???
    This same dude just got a promotion lol. The employees come to work not dressed, no make up on ,scarves around their heads STRAIGHT RATCh and no one says anything lol!! The store manager in Newport mall is a monster, Everyone is frightened by her, because she bullies and intimidates her staff, THIS IS NOT A TRUE LEADER! This had to be one of the WORST DECISIONS i have ever made lol classic case of The grass not always being greener on the other side.

Get it together! Stop with the favoritism, stop with the gossiping, STOP LYING to people just to get them in, stop socializing with employees NOT A GOOD LOOK! Good luck I'm out!!

Great free stuff but not worth all the micromanaging.

Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain in Pensacola, NC
    Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain in Pensacola, NC

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gratis,knowledge,and discount which are great perks to have.

Cons

Micromanaging,favortism,and backstabbing...no opportunities until someone steps down.

Greeter

I worked at Sephora part-time

Pros

I like working with makeup.

Cons

Everyone seemed to have formed clicks and when I started working there it felt like I was in high school again.

HQ - Terrible Culture and Work Environment

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

You do get to own many projects and initiatives. You also get to work on many teams and build relationships across the company fairly often.

Cons

Leadership is terrible and unresponsive to infrastructure issues that need improvement to pave way for growth. Managers of people receive no training on the development of their direct reports and many managers are unsuited to be overseeing a team.

Not A Pretty Place To Work

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Abundant Free Products. Lots of exposure (though almost no education) on many top selling brands. Opportunity to meet lots of interesting clients.

Cons

Comparatively poor pay . Blatant favoritism by store leadership. Never can count on your schedule due to numerous "on -call" hours and being sent home early if traffic is down. When you're hired, great promises are made about the potential to earn monthly sales bonuses, but the goals are continually raised making a bonus virtually unattainable. Often have to wait ten to fifteen minutes (when already off the clock) to have coats or personal articles inspected by management for stolen merchandise be.fore being permitted to leave the store. Turnover is huge. Benefits are expensive and minimal.

I feel that management needs to start treating the staff with some respect, invest in better training and provide better wages and benefits to foster a culture of loyalty and professionalism .