Sephora Reviews

825 reviews filtered by
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. Bad internship experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Good recognizeable corporate name on resume

Cons

Internship was not a learning experience and used as free labor

Interns are there to learn they aren't free labor. If you ask the student to get college credit it better be a learning experience

Cash wrap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Pro are the clients they make my day and make me feel special

Cons

Management , racism , have to kiss butt to make it to the top it doesn't matter about your hardwork and putting clients first

Stop with the drama and act your AGE . And treat everyone fair and respectful

Horrible.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gratis...if you suck up enough.

Cons

Horrible hours, hired as full time scheduled as part time...terrible pay, no commission, horrible management, not so nice co workers

Love your job or leave it.

Traumatizing

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of training from brands
    Spoil you with free products

Cons

Wow, where to begin.
    Work hours are terrible, store opens for employees 2 hours before shift and closes 1 hour after stores close. So if ur working a night shift, be prepared to leave a little past 10 and later during the holidays.
    Some days we're scheduled 1-10 and the day after we work a 8-5. They don't care about ur life outside of work and care even less if you have a family.
    their uniforms are cheap, uncomfortable and ugly and there is no way to make them ur own, wearing baggy trousers and ill fitted button shirts with a full face of dramatic makeup doesn't go well with working at a makeup store.
    There is no self expression at sephora, hair must be a natural colour. They want a cookie cutter employee.
    During staff meetings they constantly bash other cosmetics retailers and work to try to get them to go out of business.
    Mac is major competition for them, they try to be them and always puts them down during meetings and to customers as well.
    Growing within the company is stricky for the preferred employee, no merit to those that work hard and no recognition. Inferiority is put on a pedestal and celebrated. They say passion is important but if u have too much passion they put you down and try to break you only to rebuild u in their image.
    Management is manipulative, condescending and very "corporate" they won't just fire u, they will torment u till u quit.
    All the free products you get is mostly things u will never use.
    Pay is horrible!!!!!
    Hiring people who are qualified for lead (3rd key) positions as regular sales associates and hiring non experienced people as leads.
    They create a very competitive atmosphere among staff, not for sales, but for recognition and praise.
    Their biggest taboo is to talk about ur salary, and that's because they pay everyone differently, 1 lead can be paid 10$ an hour while another one gets 16$ an hour.
    working here has given me major anxiety and I haven't been able to work anywhere else since!

treat ur full timers with respect, they spend more time in ur store than they do at home!
    Pay ur employees adequately!
    Someone with managerial experience shouldn't get a salary of 11$ an hour!

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Cast Member in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sephora

Pros

One of the only things good about this job, is that you get free makeup. You also learn how to do some special effect makeup.

Cons

They shove you in one "world" either fragrance, color, or skin. You cannot step even an inch away from your world with out them shooing you back. The customers do not come first at Sephora, lets say that its really busy and you are working in color, they will not allow you to help a customer in fragrance. They want you to bodyguard the merchandise, and they don't even consider what would happen to you. They give you free makeup but by the time you get it the item isnt even on the floor anymore, so its not like you can tell your customers what a certain product is like. If you have other priorities besides a job like family or school, don't even consider working here. They were not flexible with my school schedule, and they didnt care about family matters. They said Sephora comes before everything, well please tell me a person who doesnt care about their family. The leaders will degrade you, and treat you like a slave.

Let people have a chance with growth within a company, and don't treat your employees like slaves. Also have better customer service skills.

Crap company

I worked at Sephora

Pros

The best people you'll ever meet and free makeup

Cons

No work life balance and horrible bosses

Be nicer and listen to your staff

Stale environment people not friendly, no training work life balance was not fair

Current Employee - Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Great make up lines, great vendors

Cons

Hours stunk, management were unfriendly

Treat people equal

Such a disappointing experience.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My employment didn't start off on a negative note. I interviewed in October, and was hired for a new store opening for the next month. I went into it knowing that I was a seasonal employee, and that they were going to keep on four or five us at the end of the holiday. The training started off on a positive note, and everything seemed o be going okay. Everyone who was hired on seasonally was nice and seemed to have a positive attitude.

Cons

Throughout the course of my employment- a grand total of three months- I had a total of 10 shifts. There was absolutely no communication as to why all of the seasonal girls were getting so few shifts. We constantly expressed concern and tried to talk with the management, but were never taken seriously. Whenever I worked, the managers always gave signs that I was going to be kept on past the seasonal date, and I would always express my desire to stay on full-time, but there were so many mixed-signals. After New Years, I went the whole month without a phone call from anyone. I had no idea what was going on, I didn't know if I still had a job or not.
    I opened up my e-mail one day in February only to find an automated e-mail from Sephora notifying me that my seasonal employment had ended. I was shocked that the managers lacked the tact and professionalism to where they couldn't pick up a phone and call me. I have never been so disturbed by an experience with an employer before. The worst part is that I was a loyal customer before I was an employee, and I am definitely not shopping at Sephora anymore, now that I know how they treat their employees and customers.

Hire people with actual managerial experience who understand how to conduct business. Learn how to engage with your employees, and not simply use your employees and then leave them behind. If the management at all Sephora stores acts as immature and disrespectful as the one at the store I worked at, it will catch up with them very soon.

Most horrible experience of my life. Worst management you could ever work for.

Former Employee - Color Consultant in Christiana, DE
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Christiana, DE

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis and employee discount. Great learning experience.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever seen. They can and will get away with saying and doing anything they want. They treat employees horribly. I've seen way to many people cry, way too many letters written to HR. Nothing will ever change because they make the company big money. So again, they will treat you like dirt. They will continue to get away with it.

I give up at this point. I've written to HR along with so many other employees and nothing has ever been resolved. There is a reason they have such a high turn over rate.

fragrance consultant

I worked at Sephora

Pros

free merchandise, extensive training for other brands

Cons

management, salary. bad scheduling, bad communication with leadership

work life balance needs a lot of work.