Sephora
www.sephora.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sephora Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Calvin McDonald

Pros:
  • "A lot of fun - work life balance - training is very good - high standards"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Get free products (but sometimes they are old/used customer returns)"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels"
    in 30 reviews
  • "No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rewarding Experience

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual. Feels like home away from home and you meet so many interesting people both internally and externally.

ConsIt's really hard to find people who are committed to working hard, dependable and want to build a career. Often times you get one bad apple who insist on remaining a negative nelly and infest the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your managers to do their job. It's not always about becoming close to your team, it's about giving support and understanding to the demands of the job and the people.

Not very structured

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

ProsEverybody has an opportunity to be heard.

ConsEverybody has an opportunity to be heard. Everybody will give feedback on your projects. Try to satisfy everybody = impossible.

seasonal cash wrap

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
League City, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced, fun environment. The holidays (christmas/new years) are absolutely insane! We had lines through the door...must be outgoing and patient. Must understand basic makeup and skin care to thrive. I got $10.25 per hour there are bonuses but seasonal ppl dont really get them

ConsHours are not flexible and they have to completely search and empty out everyones purse to leave for any reason at any time even to get a starbucks in the mall. They can be catty and stuck up also.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake hours flexible and be less stuck up

Disappointing experience (may have been due to my specific location)

Seasonal Cast Member (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros- Opportunity to learn about products (IF you are a permanent employee)
- Opportunity to help clients find the right product for them (fulfilling)

Cons- Lack of communication (basic things, like an employees' daily responsibilities, were never communicated)
- Virtually no training (the business' rubric for training needs to be changed; a lot of unnecessary busy work and no communication regarding the expectations for an actual day on the job)
- Very few hours (about half as many hours as employees were told they would get when they were hired)

Advice to Senior ManagementArticulate your expectations to your employees. Daily responsibilities should be explained during training. Sephora hires permanent employees from its seasonal employees, but it seemed like no investment whatsoever was put into the seasonal employees at this location. Your employees can't make you happy if you don't communicate what you want from them.

Amazing!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora full-time

ProsAmazing company to work for. Many benefits of working herethat includes education gratistraining and a company that really wants to get you to where you want to be

Consretail hours but usually good to work around your schedule

Slave to Corporate

I have been working at Sephora full-time

ProsGratis, time off, and other benefits are pluses of working at the Sephora HQ. The company continues to grow and continues to be successful, in general. The Pros end here.

ConsThe women here are catty and abrasive to each other. There is a culture of pointing fingers, passing the buck, and throwing people under the bus. I have witnessed this many times over. It is uncomfortable watching people get talked down to. You have to have thick skin to work here.

Work/Life is an issue. Everything is treated as urgent and must be done, YESTERDAY. The place is understaffed, and people are over overworked. Turnover is high. I have never seen or met so many unhappy and catty people.

Telecommuting is nearly impossible and in general, not accepted and frowned upon.

There is a dress code. In a "fashion forward" and "creative" environment, it is shocking that a dress code of only being able to wear certain colors is enforced.

There are incompetent senior managers (director level and above) who do not inspire change or have the motivation to change things for the better. Some senior managers have absolutely no clue on the business they are running. Some don't even know basic top line numbers. It is alarming they were promoted to as high up as they are. Around here, you get promoted based on how much you kiss up, not based on how smart or skilled you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat. Find root cause as to why employees are unhappy and why turnover is high.

Love the endless options.... New challenges everyday

Education Lead (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe brands and company are extremely generous with Gratis. Working and training with multiple brands is a great experience. Sephora values are a great guideline. Going to work every day and having fun all while getting paid to do what you love.

ConsExempt managers are not as involved as they should be. Hourly managers are required to do just as much with a completely different rate of pay. Lots of brand options for clients, that sometimes change too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more full time positions to cast (employees). Part time work for a full time commitment can be challenging.

Sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

ProsGetting free makeup in a real perk

ConsNew employees get the worst hours

Advice to Senior Managementbe a little kinder to you employees

Stock assocaite

Stock Associate (Former Employee)
Forest Hills, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Prosgreat discounts,great coworkers, product knowledge

Consstock are given lots of work to do in very little time

Advice to Senior Managementgive the stock associates more time

Fun and lots of learning

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsAdequate trainings provided
Free samples of products
Quarterly free products
Fun environment

ConsHigh turnover
Management keep changing their ideas
Politics
Very busy
No work-life balance
It is ok for you to work 20 minutes unpaid overtime for the company but you will be penalised for being late for even 1 minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrainstorm an idea well before pushing it out to avoid confusion and disappointment.

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sephora CEO Calvin McDonald . All 488 reviews posted anonymously by Sephora employees.