Sephora Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
3.5

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• free products, makeup artists play ground, mostly friendly consumers/clients (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 42 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun environment with fun people

Current Employee - Education Lead  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Education Lead in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Gratis is always a plus...upbeat environment. I enjoy working with vendors and learning different things from them. I love the values of Sephora and how seriously the company takes it

Cons

Depending on the volume of your store you may not get much work life balance. A lot of politics, seems like you move quicker based on who you know

Fun, but frustrating.

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant

I have been working at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working with clients; helping them to find exactly what they're looking for and maybe even teaching them how to use their new products. The brand events are great too. We teach, take pictures, have fun, end up a little silly, but overall create a lasting impression. Gratis is always nice, as well as learning new tidbits and stories about each brand, product and founders/creators. Knowledge is in abundance with Sephora, which is detrimental to the job.

Cons

Less than qualified persons hold positions in this company which causes much unneeded stress to Product Consultants, Operations and Education alike. When Managers are not performing to the best of their abilities or not putting forth enough dedication to their position, the entire store fails. This is a very frustrating reality for some stores. Especially when higher ups do not take actions to rectify the issues at hand. Instead, it is treated as a "non-issue" and is left to work itself out. Its unfortunate, really. Also, the pre-set schedules are absolutely AWFUL.

Listen to your products consultants and team, they are the backbone of your sales and customer experience. Just because your are salaried, does NOT mean you complete your 40 hours and then you disappear.

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis, good pay, fun environment.

Cons

They don't like hiring students.

Give more flexible hours.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the Company Culture, it's still retail and the pay is disgusting

Current Employee - Color Consultant  in  Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

culture, values, training, gratis, education

Cons

scheduling, pay, retail is a black hole with no growth opportunities, costumes, discount

need better pay

great experience, okay pay, free products, controlling managment

Former Employee - Color Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

free products, makeup artists play ground, mostly friendly consumers/clients

Cons

MICROMANAGING, the good managers get promoted to better higher volume stores and the bad ones stay behind...whole reason i left.

learn to engage and always be positive, no cliques...keep that at home. if youre juicing, dont take it out on everyone else. yes that was a thing. regularly.

Good for Retail

Former Employee - Color Specialist  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Color Specialist in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Sephora is a good place to work for a retail job. They pay higher than most other retail jobs but you are still making a retail salary. If you are someone who has passion for the beauty industry you will get a lot of free products, which is awesome. They also pay out bonuses based on how well your store does, so that contributes to a team environment. It's a fun place to work depending on who is on your shift.

Cons

Your schedule is a retail schedule. Although they preach work-life balance as one of their core values, you don't always get that. Each store is different. Some stores will not pay you a bonus because the store itself isn't doing well, and a lot of that has to depend on the sales goals set forth by corporate management. So that can really damage the morale of the store. It can also be a bad place to work if you have to deal with rumors and gossip. They don't pay you enough money to live on, but management won't give you more hours if you work a second job. I had management bully me because I had to leave this job for something that paid better, even though I tried to give plenty of notice! That was a mistake!

Pay a living wage and you will retain more top quality employees. Re-analyze sales goals to make them more realistic! I've seen stores where the morale is extremely low because employees work so hard but are never rewarded. Focus on developing a core group of full time employees rather than a revolving door of part time employees who can't pay their bills.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Fragrance Consultant  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Fragrance Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

The education on various product lines was amazing, you learn so much. When clients tell you your customer service has been great or that they just want to trust your opinion, it feels great! The free products are a nice perk.

Cons

It is very difficult to get promoted, get a raise, and to request time off. Some clients are difficult to work with but not any different from any other retail job.

Overall good job-just began to dislike it after several months.

Current Employee - Product Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hourly base pay is awesome and is already hard to beat among most retail jobs; great for a student. You get to learn a LOT about cosmetics and skincare and you get a first look at new products before they hit the shelves. The gratis is always generous and contains awesome products. Some customers bond with you and will return just so you can help them again. The environment can be very fun at times.

Cons

No commission, no matter how big of a sale you make. The only recognition we get is if a customer fills out a survey and mentions our name; if you get no surveys or a low number of surveys, you'll hear about it all the time; although you can't force a customer to fill out a survey at home, that's ultimately up to them. You get disciplined for not signing people up for Beauty Insider cards, even if the customer was avid on not wanting one, or when a customer seems angry about it. Some people that come in can be very needy or difficult to work with one on one, but if you have a strong personality and can handle it, you should be fine. Silly, but the music they play gets annoying! Had to ask several times to get a uniform and still haven't gotten one, it's been almost a year.. The staff can be "clicky" at times and it's easy to feel left out of the circle.

Great Company not much room for growth

Former Employee - Education Lead
    Former Employee - Education Lead

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Upper management (regional vp's, senior executives) were amazing and absolutely accessible. Decent pay and great benefits. Room to grow in store. Everyone makes bonuses.

Cons

Beyond Lead positions, you have to become a specialist (assistant to store director/manager). Becoming a specialist is extremely difficult in small markets. If you are not in an area (like Houston for example) with several stores in close proximity, you have little to no chance to advance. You must be at minimum an "elevated specialist" to move up the corporate ladder. In many cases, that is just not possible. Make friends with your DM if you ever plan on advancing beyond a nonexempt employee. (everyone is hourly except Specialist and Store Director).

consider allowing nonexempt employees more room for advancement. Look at their work as a reflection on themselves rather than giving their specialist all of the credit for world success.

Seasonal Staff

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Sephora as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Limitless access to knowledge and samples of all types of makeup and other beauty products.

Cons

Overall its a pretty friendly company to work for.

Sephora Photos

Entrance to a Sephora Store at Briarwood Mall located in Ann Arbor Michigan (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
Sephora store
Outside

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!