Sephora

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Seasonal Cashwrap

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Best Job I've had so far. The store can get very busy so, time goes by fast. Long training and its only half for a seasonal, but they cover everything well. Cashier is not a hard job and the best part is meeting new people, and People who are trying a lipstick for the first time, or a teen who is shopping for makeup for the first time. Customers do acknowledge you, and want to know what you think time from time. Overall great company!

Cons

Seasonal job, not many hours what so ever. Before and a little after christmas was the jackpot. But this seasonal job is not supposed to end till End of January, and i have not worked for the past 2 weeks.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supportive and friendly environment, plenty of education on the job, great flexibility with your schedule!

Cons

There's just so much going on in operations that it's really hard to keep up. I feel like without my lead I'm helpless and with my lead I'm just told what to do all the time. Holiday means late, late hours. Like 3 am late.

It's a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount
    The gratis
    Growth Opportunities
    Great gals

Cons

Management is a little standoffish makes it hard to build relationships with them

None

Amazing!

Current Employee - Seasonal Cast Member
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cast Member

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Friendly leadership
    Gratis ( although not as much as regular employees)
    Exposure to a great number of brands

Cons

None so far! I love it

Great place to work if you're scrappy and up for the challenge

Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

#1 - People. I work at the HQ and I was worried coming from tech industry (no beauty experience) that this was going to be like Devil Wears Prada and everyone ate air sandwiches for lunch and wore the most expensive designer outfits imaginable. NOT the case. This company is filled with incredibly sharp, passionate, and "real" people. The pace is CRAZY here, but we're all in it together and there is a lot of (successful) cross functional partnership. It's a very collegiate, passionate culture.
    #2 - Career Opportunities. The company is growing so quickly, we're constantly creating new teams and taskforces. Sephora has a very lean organization for the size of the business it generates so you have the opportunity to wear many hats and try new things.
    #3 - Work Life Balance... tricky because this is so subjective and really depends on the department, but it's one of the company's values and most senior leaders are big proponents of maintaining a balance (and they lead by example)
    #4 - Bonus. The company has paid out ABOVE bonus target for the last several years. Not many companies can say that.
    #5 - Innovation. A lot of companies claim to be innovative but only few are. Sephora is truly innovative in its merchandising practices, technology, retail ops, and eCommerce/mobile functions. It's very cool to be a company that wins but never gets complacent.

Cons

#1 - Internal systems/processes (or lack thereof). It's shocking how old some of the processes and systems are here. It's on the senior leadership team's radar to update, but it can be incredibly frustrating, causing you to be less efficient than you'd like to be.
    #2 - Decisions are often made to start programs or initiatives without the proper planning, resources, or buy-in
    #3 - Ultimately, we report to LVMH and there can sometimes be a disconnect between San Francisco and Paris

-Really focus on building up the internal systems and processes so people can do their jobs more effectively.
    -Invest in training. The training and education for the field/stores is INCREDIBLE--truly some of the best in the business. But there is a woeful lack of relevant training opportunities at the corporate level.

IS YOUR DREAM JOB

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

bonus on pay check based on quarterly, assist and apply

Cons

no cons I love this job

Fun!

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Bonus and Gratis are great

Cons

Hours vary, holiday is busy and people are grumpy

The company is fantastic but the management was terrible. I don't think I would work there as a full time career.

Former Employee - Color Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Plano, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved getting gratis! Besides that, I liked how they were flexible with your schedule if you were in school.

Cons

Working with management was very difficult because they speak to you as if you're a child. I don't mind being adviced but I don't need anyone to speak to me in a slow manner.

Respect your employees. They are working for you. The more you respect them, the harder they will work for you.

Specialist

I worked at Sephora

Pros

The most elevated company in retail I have seen in training and developing tools. The tools and education for associate and managers is the very clear.

Cons

The company operates by values which when in management there can be a double standard. You can have great tools but not the right fit of people.

Make sure to use your channels of management. communicate clearly and make sure you are proactive.

Overall positive experience

Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great teams, inspiring leadership, and creative people

Cons

Some poor management, some teams treated unfairly

Take all teams seriously, and focus on nurturing individuals