Sephora Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.5

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• free products, makeup artists play ground, mostly friendly consumers/clients (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 43 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free cosmetics, skincare and fragrance
    Fun work environment
    Lots of incentive to work and grow

Cons

The customers can get a little crazy at times but nothing out of the ordinary for a customer service job.

A good place to work if you're young, willing to work really hard to be an artist, or really love doing store operations

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sephora part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gratis (seriously amazing--thousands of dollars worth of stuff every few months), good company values, high end brand, nice stores in nice areas

Cons

Pretty much all women, so if you aren't fond of drama you'll find it tiring, too much corporate-level oversight on very stupid things within the store (i.e. the stock shelves and the board saying sales goals for the day), probably varies from store to store but questionable management

A delicate balance

Former Employee - Cast Member
    Former Employee - Cast Member

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your team is good, it's a great environment. Gratis helps the team try and promote favorite products. This company is invested in offering a lot of training internally and from brand reps.

Cons

If the team has a few "toxic" members, it can really affect morale, in spite of the best efforts of management.

Hiring positive and productive team members (and leaders) is critical.

Very professional, fun work experience

Former Employee - Cast Member in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Greenwood, IN

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Great Training Program
    Professional
    As a seasonal employee, I was given the exact same treatment and benefits at Sephora
    Decent Discount

Cons

As a seasonal employee, I had to work holidays, but that was expected.
    If you are hired as a seasonal cashier, that is just what you will be, a cashier. However, whenever I was interested in some other aspect of the job, I was taught the basics.

Fun, but not serious enough

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Up to date information on beauty products. Samples to try daily. Learn a lot about cosmetics in a short period of time. Exciting work environment.

Cons

Can be boring day to day. Management seems to pick favorites, seems like they could be a little more professional and less "high school"

Managers should be more hands on and part of the group.

Positive, uplifting

Former Employee - Operations Consultant
    Former Employee - Operations Consultant

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, bonuses, products, fun

Cons

Work life balance, hours, promotion, training

Best job that I miss and love

Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome team, great company, bonus, incentives, gratis, travel, education, training, advancement, promotion! This is where its at!

Cons

Uniform. Pay varies, its average. Could be better. I really don't have much con's. This place has never left my heart.

I just love and miss my store 100

HORRIBLE!

Current Employee - Color Cast Member in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Color Cast Member in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gratis......and Uhm
    ...................................???

Absolutely nothing else, I liked the fact that I had no copays when I went to the doctor lol!

Cons

Micromanagement! Store director is a bully, and very inconsiderate. Lying backstabbing managers,Shady co-workers, if I here one more thing about "cash wrap, cm certified,backstage, onstage" crap I'm gonna scream very loud. Very political, Blatant and I do mean BLATANT favoritism,unprofessionalism from management, education consultant looks like she rolled out of bed half of the time, and has the nerve to tell me a thing or two!..... ETC!

I started working here about 3 months ago. I quit my job to come to Sephora, thinking there was more growth opportunity, and hoping I could sharpen my make up artistry.......NOT!
    although there are some extremely talented people in color here that I learned a lot from, it was totally NOT worth giving up what I already had. I was hired as a "Part-time Partial" color artist, and during my interview I was told I was GUARANTEED 32 hours, and a bonus that would make up for the comission. I made at my previous job. which actually meant 20hoursish and being sent home if traffic was slow. The bonus is nothing! I was told all of these lies upfront, thinking I was going to be able to come here and do make up free willingly only to find out I have to be "Sephora certified" to do this lol also I've been pulled in the office about 3 times already over NONSENSE! "Do you feel like you're a good fit here?" Like stop with the subliminals already lol. Not to mention I walked "Backstage" once, and I walked into a male manager talking about thots...HOW UNPROFESSIONAL!!???
    This same dude just got a promotion lol. The employees come to work not dressed, no make up on ,scarves around their heads STRAIGHT RATCh and no one says anything lol!! The store manager in Newport mall is a monster, Everyone is frightened by her, because she bullies and intimidates her staff, THIS IS NOT A TRUE LEADER! This had to be one of the WORST DECISIONS i have ever made lol classic case of The grass not always being greener on the other side.

Get it together! Stop with the favoritism, stop with the gossiping, STOP LYING to people just to get them in, stop socializing with employees NOT A GOOD LOOK! Good luck I'm out!!

Not for me

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to try different products (if time permits), encourage positivity with customers and fellow employees, ability to create a team environment

Cons

difficulty speaking with managerial team without the subject matter being turned into a personal matter, not much celebration for those who pull the team to its highest points,

Fun, but need more salary

Current Employee - Picker in Belcamp, MD
    Current Employee - Picker in Belcamp, MD

I have been working at Sephora as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced most of the time, most of the employees are amazing people, and really diverse, benefits, PTO,

Cons

Salary, takes way to long to become hired on. Difficult work and life balance. Many temps work harder than most of the actual employees yet they are not included in most of the events for the company and not given anything but a sample bag. Yearly bonus and raises are really small compared to the profit the company makes yearly. There are those few miserable employees that have a horrible attitude and make it impossible to work with.

Need more understanding of how little life outside work they give us the chance to do. It's hard to make appointments and keep plans with family with the inane work hours we get.

Sephora Photos

Entrance to a Sephora Store at Briarwood Mall located in Ann Arbor Michigan (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
Sephora store