Sephora

www.sephora.com
Employer Engaged

Loved the job, and coworkers BUT...

Former Employee - Color Consultant in Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Elmhurst, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved the job in itself. Helping clients find what they're looking for, introducing them to products I personally love, educating on products and demoing use of products they were interested in but maybe not familiar with. The coworkers were sweet and helpful all the time. Loved the use of the dayforce app as far as scheduling even though they never had it up on every Wednesday like they said they always do. (usually fridays or saturdays) Discount is great.

Cons

Pay is pretty bad. I was seasonal so I knew it wasn't going to be great, but I was told they couldn't go much higher if they kept me. I was also told there was a higher up person who said they did not know anything about my personal life and that was the biggest reason they could not keep me. Nevermind all the clients and D.I.C.'s who wanted me to stay so badly because of my work ethic.

I don't believe an employee should be judged by how much of their personal life they tell you. As long as you do your job and do it exceedingly well.

Management Plays Favorites

Former Employee - Cast Member in Collierville, TN
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Collierville, TN

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis
    Friendships
    Education
    Training
    Flexible Hours (but will give you less hours if you ask off on a Friday or a Saturday in spite)
    You will never get fired, ever (unless you're seasonal)

Cons

This is ONLY for the Collierville, TN location - I have heard other locations are not like this:

The management plays favorites and gives their favorites more hours. They schedule those employees to work at the same time as them. They do not listen to the other employees. If you are a hard worker, they will try to hold you back. They do not like competition. They sit in the back their entire shift. If you try to tell any manager that another manager did something wrong, they will put you on the spot in front of the entire cast and make you feel uncomfortable.

Ask your brand reps about each location. They see a lot of what goes on. They can tell you what is and what isn't working at each location. Please don't tell your managers that they have a complaint against them. They don't take it well and we got the raw end of that stick.

shark water drenched in perfume, great if you like a blood tinged aquatic scent for summer

Current Employee - Seasoned Cast Member From the Trenches in Laguna, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great cast members made some nice friends over the years
    great return clients
    great way to learn about many products
    great place to learn salesmanship without the pressure of commission sales
    good way to know as a consumer what is good and what is not.
    never boring because there are so many things to learn about there
    the reps from the various brands are fantastic people

Cons

micromanagement to the extreme
    nepotism/favoritism. it's not what you know, it's who you know
    leadership lacking the skills to instill into core cast.
    very low pay and very low hours that fluctuate. always reminded by management you are lucky to have those hours at all.
    mean girls bullying spreads from person to person, group to group in a cycle
    management does nothing to stop said bullying and harassment and actually are many times the ones leading the pack in this.
    backstabbing on a show girls level
    constant pressure for digital shout outs and proof of your service via company survey
    training by real humans has been replaced with cheap videos from corporate that leave cast untrained and clients displeased.
    very little focus on actual make-up artistry. ineffectual cast members thrown into the fray with no knowledge and that also angers the clients and affects the prior mentioned survey
    managers verbally abusive, when one addresses this issue, one is marked as a problem and giving "push back"
    selling luxury items to people while wearing torn uniforms and ratty shoes because of the very low pay, cast members can not afford to shop there. (lucky for the gratis i guess but most of the time it's stuff you don't really want and also a certain few people always get the good gratis anyway)

doublespeak is a joke.
    take ownership of your own flaws.
    be on the same page with your entire leadership team.
    don't talk poorly about cast members or fellow leadership in front of anyone.
    management currying favor with cast with gratis
    management taking gratis for themselves
    extreme loss prevention issues, no agents in the stores and cast left to deal with heavy duty criminal issues. decide if you want cast members or security guards, you can't have everything
    arrogant, rude people that are in leadership need to be coached so cast is happier when working
    live up to your culture and values that you spout so much.
    in store theft often perpetrated by key holders.
    quit promoting/hiring people with little or no people skills for key leadership roles
    stop lying it's really easy to tell when you do
    maybe don't gossip about cast on the phone so loudly or with other cast members in your office, even with the door closed we do hear you.
    do not belittle the reps from brands
    tone down the arrogance.

FSC Corporate - Unorganized and Unsupportive work environment

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For the FSC Corporate office: Benefits are pretty good. Vacation time and sick leave are good. Work/life balance is good in certain departments, but very bad in others. Informal office culture.

Cons

For the FSC Corporate office: Major decisions are based on emotion and assumptions, rather than data and logic, and without buy-in from affected business partners. Cross-functional departments have drastically competing agendas and there is constant in-fighting between the groups. Attempts to make the system better are met with non-support if they don't further the personal agendas of the Director-and-above level individuals. 90% women workforce in every department other than IT & Finance, More gender balance is needed. Systems and processes are archaic and inefficient, and upper management doesn't support or fund improving them. Leaders are promoted based on personal relationships rather than ability to move the business forward. Operates as a start-up when it should be more structured and linear (i.e. responsibilities of people in different departments often overlap, no real career advancement plan, major initiatives are shots-in-the-dark rather than thought through logically). There are no checks-and-balances, and no personal accountability. The stores are pressured to do more and more with less and less resources. The once-promising values system has lost its impact since the individuals that initiated them left the company. The best people are driven away, only to leave the mediocre in charge. The result of all the above is a very disorganized organization that doesn't keep good records, doesn't make good decisions, and is only kept alive because women are addicted to makeup and will always buy the product if it somehow reaches the stores.

Invest more into updating systems and processes. Reward people based on ability to help grow and streamline the business, rather than ability to brown-nose their way to the top. Salaries need to be higher. Develop leaders that can coach their team's development. Create checks-and-balances and accountability.

It's been fun, but I am looking for better...

Current Employee - Sephora Product Consultant
    Current Employee - Sephora Product Consultant

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gratis is amazing. You get to try different products from all of the brands you carry for free.

Cons

Mostly part-time work. This isn't really something you can make a career out of.

Please, please, please invest in training your core cast based on seniority. I had a horrible experience and felt really discouraged that a cast member hired after me received more training and got more credit as a cast member. Value your cast members with seniority.

Great perks at a back-breaking price -- literally, you will be worked hard.

Former Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Perks - free make up, skincare, beauty tools
    Decent pay for part timers -- not sure about management

Cons

Sephora cut back on brand representatives -- the people who give you the free stuff. And if you are not working on the day that they are there, you don't get anything. Good for Full time people -- bad for PT.
    In order to get the free stuff you had to be trained and sometimes you weren't allowed to see the brand rep if the store was too busy. Management took whatever they wanted from perks, right out of the bins of their associates at times.
    I was always stuck in the skincare world all by myself during the weekdays. I had to ask if I could go pee. I had a headphone constantly going off in my ear about hourly goals, 30 min check ins, stocking, constant chatter -- it was a nightmare.
    The weekends were unreal, busy, and unless you work over 6 hours you only get a 10 min break, not a universal 15 minutes, you get 10 minutes for working on your feet for 6 hours with floor supervisors on your back.
    A lot of sass from lower level management "key holders/supervisors" always trying to out-do each other and impress the GM, which made them rude, ridiculous, and unprofessional.
    In short, Sephora doesn't care about its people. They will tell you that they do and that they are all about work life-balance, but thats as much as you'll get from them. A poster on the wall in the stock room that glorifies work-life- balance doesn't mean that the company actually stands behind that vision.

Practice what you preach and provide more of a work-life balance for all employees. Be fair with schedules, don't schedule people to do back breaking store changes and have them open the next day. Give people more than a 10 minute break!

FSC (corporate) review. Smart, fast-paced culture. Company at a success peak.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and performance- and company-based bonus (which you're almost always sure to get given company's success in recent years). The culture is interesting (in a positive way). Very smart, very quick. Leadership is wonderful, but don't expect tons of warm fuzzies on a more personal level. They're perfectly nice and pleasant - but this is much more of a work-first culture (i.e. opposite of goofy, loose - but definitely *not* Devil Wears Prada level). It's not necessarily a bad thing because that's likely why the company's been so successful in recent years. Amazing track record of innovation - not being afraid to take some risks as a successful industry leader. It's quite a unique company because it's a large, global, successful brand - but start-up-like under the hood. Plenty of room for growth in your personal career as long as you're results oriented and smart. Each year they allow you to make requests to transfer between departments, and I've seen quite a few transition functions successfully (i.e. you aren't 'stuck' in a role/department you may not necessarily like forever). Also, I know a lot of folks tend to hate on the dress code, but I personally find it very easy to adhere to. As long as the primary outfit (e.g. shoes and accessories don't count) is black, white, grey-scale, red, or whatever Pantone's Color of the Year is, (and as long as it's generally work appropriate - e.g. wear leggings or tights if you wear a miniskirt) you can wear it. Finally, the reputation of the company/brand is so powerful that exit opportunities (if you ever choose to leave, that is!) are awesome. It's the holy grail of retail in many respects.

Cons

Like many things, the Cons here are mirror images of some of the Pros. Base salary is actually below industry standard because of the bonus structure. At the end of the tax year, it comes out pretty even - but it would be nice to get about half of the current bonus amount allocated across the base salary instead. Because the company has been so successful, leadership puts a lot of pressure on themselves and employees to keep pushing the envelope - more innovation, more revenue, etc. So far, the brand is so strong that it's been relatively organic growth. But competition is ramping up - so the pressure is bound to keep its trajectory. About 90% of the folks in the building are A+ student types. This breeds a lot of ambition. While the company runs so lean that you're almost never in direct competition with someone else (because everyone has ownership of their own duties/tasks with plenty of original/unique work to do individually), it feels like everyone's always trying to claw upwards and be noticed - separated from all the other A+ students (which is tough!).

Keep looking at that base/bonus equation. Especially in the Bay area, comp is competitive and cost of living is high. Otherwise, keep innovating and hiring smart, driven people.

Better pay for retail

Former Employee - Consultant in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dedham, MA

I worked at Sephora

Pros

-great freebies
    -promote-from-within attitude
    -great coworkers
    -strong training
    -industry leader

Cons

-rotating schedule
    -management plays favorites
    -can feel like a sorority
    -uniforms are awful
    -few holidays

Very fun and easy going.

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were helpful people and I really liked the job. It was easy to apply and they responded in a week.

Cons

It was far away from where I lived and they payed minimum wage. I was supposed to get a raise but it never came.

Sweet

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Fun to work. Free products.

Cons

Not enough discipline on associates

Pay attention to your slacker employees