Sephora Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Free products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 35 reviews)

• No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

May work for you, but definitely not for me.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cast Member  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cast Member in Washington, DC

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked the free gratis, most of the veterans were really nice and helpful, it was great to be judged on a daily basis about your make-up to perfect a polished look.

Cons

Catty coworkers, it's the beauty industry so it is to be expected. Can be unknowingly placed in another world, even if you wouldn't like to. Favoritism is high!

I have none. It just wasn't for me.

Favortism and bullying!

Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love my industry that I have worked in for many years and love working with customers to look their very best.

Cons

I was bullied by store director and JCP did nothing to control this over zealous mean employee.

Do not let people who are in a position of power treat others poorly for a 10.00 an hour job. She would use gratis like donkey and carrot,,,not really nice when you do not make much hourly.

Great at first.

Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant
    Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts were great and clean environment

Cons

I was hired as a seasonal beauty advisor inside the sephora in jcpenny I was told I was going to be working 25 hours a week, the manager would schedule me 6 hours a week 12 hours at the most, during my interview I was also told if we made our monthly sales goal all the associates would receive a commission check at the end of the month , all the new seasonal associates would work really hard to push the sales to figure out seasonal beauty advisors didn't receive the bonus check or gratis. Also during the interview I was told once the holidays were over she was going to pick two associates to remain in the store , apparently that was a lie as we'll. Hence' the manager also wanted us to open a certain percentage of beauty insiders cards witch I believe was un attainable if you only working 6 to 12 hours a week.

My advice to management especially inside jc Penney is to be honest with your future employees , seasonal employees as we'll. Make the percentage goal of beauty insiders a attainable goal , not all employees work full time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good First Job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Access to amazing products, and a fun working environment. Sephora really invests in their employees, and truly believes in grooming their employees to have a career in beauty

Cons

Sales goals are somewhat unrealistic.

Great place to get your foot in the door!

Former Employee - Product Consultant  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are taught very well on ALL BRANDS!

Cons

SiJCP can hinder your full potential.

It's exactly what you can make of it

Current Employee - Store Director  in  Fair Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Store Director in Fair Oaks, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth path, Voice, Employee Development/Education, Values-Based, Gratis!

Cons

Disconnect between corporate and the stores, convoluted support structure, rapid pace between initiatives

Connect the dots. Partner with the field prior to execution. Ask for feedback and input before setting goals and timelines. Simplify.

Amazing

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Support and training customer service and discount

Cons

Hours and cooperate attitude cut throat

Great for Retail

Current Employee - Operations Lead  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent gratis program. Great values and initiatives, forward thinking. Client focused selling strategy, low pressure educated consulting. Fairly achievable multi-tier store bonus program.

Cons

Difficult to grow unless you are willing to change location, which is understandable but challenging if there is only one store near you and you don't want to relocate. Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail). Upper management finds any opportunity to be in the office, sales consults become frustrated with lack of support.

Stay true to company initiatives and work on the floor more. Don't make promises you can't/won't keep to make people happy in the moment.

Great Learning Experience For Aspiring MUA Or Beauty Lovers Alike

Former Employee - Product Consultant
    Former Employee - Product Consultant

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and free products monthly. You learn a lot about the beauty industry and brands (and you have to, so study up). You become very close with your team and managers, but there also tends to be drama as well. Free uniforms. Great starting pay for a retail job where no license is needed. Very fun place to work.

Cons

Retail hours, busy holiday season, LOTS of cleaning...I mean LOTS. I worked for Sephora inside JCP and I hated that part (being "a part" of the JCP business). Drama (I mean it's mainly all girls). Difficult to rise within the company (but not impossible, just have to wait for an opening).

Great Job

Current Employee - Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, lots of perks, friendly clients

Cons

no work life balance really

stop the favoritism

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!