Septa

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pat Deon Sr.

fantastic company to work for and great accommodations to raise a family

ProsGreat flexibility with work time and time to support family life.

ConsSalaries are lower than private industry, but benefits balance it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value your employees.

Railroad Conductor Regional Rail

Passenger Railroad Conductor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat pay. Some-what of a family atmosphere, but everyones out for themselves money can change people. They pay becomes a drug just like any other drug so its a matter of do you want to be a robot for them and get paid well or find a good company like Federal Express who cares about its people.

ConsYour just a number to " The Authority " your way even if better is not their way and thus why passengers hate them not just their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlush the toilet and clean the system that has been in place for over 30 years. Hire former Veterans who have actual Transportation Experience not family and friends the way its been for 30 plus years.

Not a good place to work at all

ProsGood pension with good benefits

ConsThey only promote people who "play ball", anyone with ambition and a genuine work ethic will be beaten down and turned into a mindless employee. Insane amounts of waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone in A payroll and start over

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company dedicated to quality

Operator (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsWonderful, pay and benefits and lifelong friendships

ConsThe schedule and lack of security are less desirable than other companies

Advice to Senior Managementthe employees at SEPTA are dedicated to their employer

As a Manager for the traction power projects, I always received good cooperation from SEPTA employees.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI had to prepare the schedules, budgets and Request for proposals for the projects. Operations and various departments were involved in preparation of these documents. Utilities and City of Phil were also involved during the design and construction of the projects. There were a lot of challenges during the construction of the projects.

ConsThere were always some problems from the public during the selection of sites for the substations. Funding was also a factor to obtain the approval of the budgets. Approval for the closer of streets, during the construction phase, was very difficult. Approval cycles from city and L&I took longer time.

Advice to Senior ManagementVarious departments from City, Federal Government and SEPTA should resolved these problems upfront.

not worth the time

Vehicle Maintenance (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosthe med benifits and you can transfer to different locations some really good people work there and they try very hard to overcome the old school mentality they have good equipment and processes

Consthey keep the worst managers in place and force out the good ones the union is useless they take your money and in the end cant get it done for the good people who work hard every day but the worst ones they seem to keep around no matter what they waste so much tax money

Advice to Senior Managementstop wasting money

One of few chances for a young person to have great pay and job security!

ProsBesides numerous benefits which I will list, Septa provided me with an opportunity to learn on the job and opportunities to advance myself as far as my work ethic can take me. I can go back to school and be reimbursed and i can afford health insurance for myself and my family. Sometimes working a less than desireable shift gets old, but there is no job out there that provides the same benefits and opportunities to its entry level employees. If the shift gets old I just think back to my past jobs with less than half the pay, half the hours, and no opportunity for advancement. Great pay, cheap health care, vacation and personal days, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, upward mobility.

ConsBesides working weekends; none experienced yet

Advice to Senior ManagementCrack down on lower level management wasting precious overtime on non emergent tasks.

Great place to get a start into the corporate world with upper level employees that are willing to help you progress

ProsGreat people, normal business hours and open door policies.

ConsOutdated technology and outdated methods of management

The WORST employment experience !

Bus Operator (Current Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsSalary ok and the benefits are good

ConsAbusive management, national DOT rules broken. Septa functions on the needs of the authority by any means necessary, which mean DOT violations, putting passenger safety at risk. Most manager positions are filled by people that are insecure in their positions that causes weak leadership. Favoritism for positions are the norm which put inept people in high places.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetrain and revamp your managers. Treat your transportation employees with respect and like adults to get a productive transportation team. Revamp your bus operator training program to lessen accidents. Get tips from other training programs from other states (New York, LA, Boston)

Great Company

Bus Operator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood Benefits , time off great pay

ConsMis-management on occasions, better communication, more hiring within

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to fight for more state and federal dollars to keep system in good state of repair

Worked for Septa? Contribute to the Community!