Sequel Youth & Family

15 reviews filtered by
2.2
Sequel Youth & Family Executive Director Michele Hylen
Michele Hylen

1. Great experience working with kids to get your foot in the door for social work.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On some of the more relaxed days you get to hang out with the kids by taking them to the park or YMCA to do physical activities and if your schedule allows even watch movies with them. Great feeling to help out and be a positive role model in someones life.

Cons

Occasionally the kids will not listen to you and challenge your authority, can be a pain to deal with if they are being obnoxious. On the busier days you may be doing non stop transportation's for the kids taking them to therapy meetings, court appearances, job interviews etc.

2. Great place to work! Truly enjoyed the rewarding experience I had working with young, troubled youth.

Former Employee - Group Leader in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and supervisory guidance
    Very rewarding experience for the time I was employed with Sequel

Cons

The kids we mentor are a handful, but that comes with the job.
    Low pay for supervisors, youth counselors make more after overtime, which supervisors do not get on salary

Advice to Management

Pay increases for group and team leaders

3. like helping kids, but can be stressful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norris, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norris, TN

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

The number one reason is the kids you get to work with although at times it can be stressful.

Cons

The pay is low. The benefits are poor and could definitely be increased and improved. The appreciation may be somewhat lacking.

Advice to Management

There could be more raises on an individual as well as across the board basis. And an increase and improvement in benefits offered.

5. Potential, but suffering

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has a great opportunity for someone who is wanting to implement new ideas and protocols and pay is decent

Cons

The facility is falling apart and management is poor. Team-work is not priority

6. Unprofessional, lack of care and concern for staff

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

Bonding with other staff and students- great training

Cons

Empty promises to staff, upper management fly in once a month to see a cleaned up version of the place. Staff is not valued, lack of consistency. They go back and forth between either neglecting students or giving them everything they want. Staff is scapegoated by management. Huge staff turnover- not a job for someone with family.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees!! Value and respect goes a long way.

7. Poor management, lack of communication, and disorganization.

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here was being able to help the youth and good pay. Plus there was always a way to receive OT hours which bumped your check up.

Cons

You don't get treated very well or appreciated as an employee by the company or the co workers. The organization structure was a bit confusing. It was always a missing puzzle piece when it came down to it.

Advice to Management

The upper management doesn't do a good job communicating things down to the rest of the group.

8. Sequel Transitional Academy In Violation of Constitutional Rights

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

To enhance the lives of others. To help others.

Cons

Staff is immature and unprofessional. Staff and workers are in violation of the human rights and the constitutional rights of the people on DOC whom they are supposed to be helping.

Advice to Management

Get out of South Dakota.

9. Rewarding job personally, but the company doesn't care

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Owens Cross Roads, AL
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Owens Cross Roads, AL

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with and changing the lives of underprivileged troubled teens.

Cons

Bad Pay, immature staff, immature management.

Advice to Management

Value your employees to maintain staff. Value the ones even more who choose to stay, Especially those who put in extra hours to cover when staffing is low. Night shift should have differential pay, and there should be pay raises. Most people here who have been here more than a year has not seen any raise in pay. There are people who have been making the same wage for years. Some of the new hires are getting paid than some of the supervisors. There is no consistency in the program, and the residents are not getting what they need. Most staff members have at least a bachelors. And they pay us 9.50 an hour. Most of us start off with the promise of better pay with time. Then you get hooked in to the job, because you care about the residents and want to help them. We are all in this business to help others, and all of us have big hearts for these kids. We sacrifice for the residents, and company, but get nothing in return. The management is horrible, and head admin is clueless.

10. Worst company ever

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time

Pros

some of the students were very nice and some of the staff. I felt sorry for most of them. Stuck in this kind of backwoods run down shack with no true direction.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not even enough Indians. The corporate staff think they rule over each location, then the location directors think they rule over corporate. Was told contradicting things to do and I was caught in middle then blamed for it. It is a paperwork nightmare. They are stuck in the 50's with their paperwork anD process. Actually there was no process...I literally ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. I was treated like a secretary when I was the ONLY Degreed Human Resources manager. No one wanted to listen about organizing and wanted to do their own thing. The "records room" was a disaster with mice infestation. The children were treated poorly and was many outbreaks of bedbugs. Disgusting! lease don't work here or send your child here.

Advice to Management

Revamp the small locations and shut them down or start with brand new staff that have the experience, knowledge an education to run a facility. Train everyone with same process concept.

11. Improvement

Current Employee - Case Manager/Life Coach in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Case Manager/Life Coach in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no micromanagement, weekends off, 8-5 monday through friday

Cons

no clear direction from management, low salary, no advancement opportunities, on clear duties for employees

Advice to Management

give direction to staff and offer advancement opportunities, pay raises, outline duties and follow them, and better communication.