Sequel Youth & Family

Great Team

Current Employee - BHP in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - BHP in Belfast, ME

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

everyone listens, esp. supervisors and director, always an open door and there when I need them. Professional and caring, for employees and clients!! I have worked here a long time. I think in this buisness there are some that need to be frequently :voted off the island" and they should - kids progress is at stake. Kudos to the Belfast team

Cons

The hours of work - but that is noones fault, kids get home from school in the pm

keep trucking - you have a great team. Unlike the last employee.

Improvement

Current Employee - Case Manager/Life Coach in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Case Manager/Life Coach in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no micromanagement, weekends off, 8-5 monday through friday

Cons

no clear direction from management, low salary, no advancement opportunities, on clear duties for employees

give direction to staff and offer advancement opportunities, pay raises, outline duties and follow them, and better communication.

overall good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

It was a very interesting job.

Cons

You have to be very patient.

Get more insight from employees

Potential, but suffering

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This has a great opportunity for someone who is wanting to implement new ideas and protocols and pay is decent

Cons

The facility is falling apart and management is poor. Team-work is not priority

Unprofessional, lack of care and concern for staff

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

Bonding with other staff and students- great training

Cons

Empty promises to staff, upper management fly in once a month to see a cleaned up version of the place. Staff is not valued, lack of consistency. They go back and forth between either neglecting students or giving them everything they want. Staff is scapegoated by management. Huge staff turnover- not a job for someone with family.

Listen to employees!! Value and respect goes a long way.

Rewarding job personally, but the company doesn't care

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Owens Cross Roads, AL
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Owens Cross Roads, AL

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with and changing the lives of underprivileged troubled teens.

Cons

Bad Pay, immature staff, immature management.

Value your employees to maintain staff. Value the ones even more who choose to stay, Especially those who put in extra hours to cover when staffing is low. Night shift should have differential pay, and there should be pay raises. Most people here who have been here more than a year has not seen any raise in pay. There are people who have been making the same wage for years. Some of the new hires are getting paid than some of the supervisors. There is no consistency in the program, and the residents are not getting what they need. Most staff members have at least a bachelors. And they pay us 9.50 an hour. Most of us start off with the promise of better pay with time. Then you get hooked in to the job, because you care about the residents and want to help them. We are all in this business to help others, and all of us have big hearts for these kids. We sacrifice for the residents, and company, but get nothing in return. The management is horrible, and head admin is clueless.

There is a core group of favorite employees - hard to break into that group.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

Growth oriented. Goals and objectives for job expectations are spelled out.

Cons

The inner circle at the top is hard to break into. It's challenging finding a voice in the organization - few opportunities to share new ideas, no sense of feedback that signifies ideas are recieved. Message is better to go with the program rather then step away from the pack.

Recent organizational changes and layoffs may cause good people to consider other like orgnanizations for employment first. Positive press is needed. Better than that - would be a social media following from professionals who openly praise the organization.

Poor management, lack of communication, and disorganization.

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here was being able to help the youth and good pay. Plus there was always a way to receive OT hours which bumped your check up.

Cons

You don't get treated very well or appreciated as an employee by the company or the co workers. The organization structure was a bit confusing. It was always a missing puzzle piece when it came down to it.

The upper management doesn't do a good job communicating things down to the rest of the group.

Sequel Transitional Academy In Violation of Constitutional Rights

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family

Pros

To enhance the lives of others. To help others.

Cons

Staff is immature and unprofessional. Staff and workers are in violation of the human rights and the constitutional rights of the people on DOC whom they are supposed to be helping.

Get out of South Dakota.

Worst company ever

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time

Pros

some of the students were very nice and some of the staff. I felt sorry for most of them. Stuck in this kind of backwoods run down shack with no true direction.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not even enough Indians. The corporate staff think they rule over each location, then the location directors think they rule over corporate. Was told contradicting things to do and I was caught in middle then blamed for it. It is a paperwork nightmare. They are stuck in the 50's with their paperwork anD process. Actually there was no process...I literally ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. I was treated like a secretary when I was the ONLY Degreed Human Resources manager. No one wanted to listen about organizing and wanted to do their own thing. The "records room" was a disaster with mice infestation. The children were treated poorly and was many outbreaks of bedbugs. Disgusting! lease don't work here or send your child here.

Revamp the small locations and shut them down or start with brand new staff that have the experience, knowledge an education to run a facility. Train everyone with same process concept.