Sequel Youth & Family

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sequel Youth & Family Executive Director Michele Hylen

Michele Hylen

Unprofessional, lack of care and concern for staff

Anonymous (Former Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsBonding with other staff and students- great training

ConsEmpty promises to staff, upper management fly in once a month to see a cleaned up version of the place. Staff is not valued, lack of consistency. They go back and forth between either neglecting students or giving them everything they want. Staff is scapegoated by management. Huge staff turnover- not a job for someone with family.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees!! Value and respect goes a long way.

Poor management, lack of communication, and disorganization.

Youth Counselor (Former Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsThe best thing about working here was being able to help the youth and good pay. Plus there was always a way to receive OT hours which bumped your check up.

ConsYou don't get treated very well or appreciated as an employee by the company or the co workers. The organization structure was a bit confusing. It was always a missing puzzle piece when it came down to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management doesn't do a good job communicating things down to the rest of the group.

Sequel Transitional Academy In Violation of Constitutional Rights

ProsTo enhance the lives of others. To help others.

ConsStaff is immature and unprofessional. Staff and workers are in violation of the human rights and the constitutional rights of the people on DOC whom they are supposed to be helping.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of South Dakota.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding job personally, but the company doesn't care

Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) Owens Cross Roads, AL

ProsWorking with and changing the lives of underprivileged troubled teens.

ConsBad Pay, immature staff, immature management.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees to maintain staff. Value the ones even more who choose to stay, Especially those who put in extra hours to cover when staffing is low. Night shift should have differential pay, and there should be pay raises. Most people here who have been here more than a year has not seen any raise in pay. There are people who have been making the same wage for years. Some of the new hires are getting paid than some of the supervisors. There is no consistency in the program, and the residents are not getting what they need. Most staff members have at least a bachelors. And they pay us 9.50 an hour. Most of us start off with the promise of better pay with time. Then you get hooked in to the job, because you care about the residents and want to help them. We are all in this business to help others, and all of us have big hearts for these kids. We sacrifice for the residents, and company, but get nothing in return. The management is horrible, and head admin is clueless.

Worst company ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossome of the students were very nice and some of the staff. I felt sorry for most of them. Stuck in this kind of backwoods run down shack with no true direction.

ConsToo many chiefs and not even enough Indians. The corporate staff think they rule over each location, then the location directors think they rule over corporate. Was told contradicting things to do and I was caught in middle then blamed for it. It is a paperwork nightmare. They are stuck in the 50's with their paperwork anD process. Actually there was no process...I literally ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. I was treated like a secretary when I was the ONLY Degreed Human Resources manager. No one wanted to listen about organizing and wanted to do their own thing. The "records room" was a disaster with mice infestation. The children were treated poorly and was many outbreaks of bedbugs. Disgusting! lease don't work here or send your child here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the small locations and shut them down or start with brand new staff that have the experience, knowledge an education to run a facility. Train everyone with same process concept.

Improvement

Case Manager/Life Coach (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsFlexible schedule, no micromanagement, weekends off, 8-5 monday through friday

Consno clear direction from management, low salary, no advancement opportunities, on clear duties for employees

Advice to Senior Managementgive direction to staff and offer advancement opportunities, pay raises, outline duties and follow them, and better communication.

Terrible.

Residential Counselor (Former Employee) Des Plaines, IL

ProsMeaningful work, helping those with significant need.

ConsTerrible self-serving management with no integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect, work to retain valuable employees, don't just pay lip service to supposed standards of professional conduct.

overall good experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsIt was a very interesting job.

ConsYou have to be very patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more insight from employees

Great Team

BHP (Current Employee) Belfast, ME

Proseveryone listens, esp. supervisors and director, always an open door and there when I need them. Professional and caring, for employees and clients!! I have worked here a long time. I think in this buisness there are some that need to be frequently :voted off the island" and they should - kids progress is at stake. Kudos to the Belfast team

ConsThe hours of work - but that is noones fault, kids get home from school in the pm

Advice to Senior Managementkeep trucking - you have a great team. Unlike the last employee.

There is a core group of favorite employees - hard to break into that group.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsGrowth oriented. Goals and objectives for job expectations are spelled out.

ConsThe inner circle at the top is hard to break into. It's challenging finding a voice in the organization - few opportunities to share new ideas, no sense of feedback that signifies ideas are recieved. Message is better to go with the program rather then step away from the pack.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent organizational changes and layoffs may cause good people to consider other like orgnanizations for employment first. Positive press is needed. Better than that - would be a social media following from professionals who openly praise the organization.

Worked for Sequel Youth & Family? Contribute to the Community!