Sequent Information Systems

2.1

Ryan Springer

Career building company

I have been working at Sequent Information Systems

Pros

Wages are on par for our area. Great work ethics here, challenging and awesome exposure to cutting edge gear. No boring days - keeps me busy all day so no counting the minute hand until 5:00.

Cons

Could benefit from better documentation. There is a high standard for communication that can feel like a burden at times.

Keep being honest and you will win. Stay true to your clients and you will win. Don't cheap out to make a buck - it's worked this far. Keep fighting the good fight.

Reconsider working here. Listen to the 1-2 star reviews, not the falsified 4-5 star reviews.

Current Employee - IT Technician in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Sequent Information Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for this company will force you to develop thick skin. This stressful experience will pay dividends in the future when you find yourself in a tough place with no training/documentation. You also develop a perspective on people; quickly learning who you don't want to work with in the future. You won't be treated well but you will learn what type of people to avoid. Also, a cheap lunch is bought for everyone like three times a year.

Cons

Impossible to list them all. The biggest ones involve mismanagement of the company itself, not the type of work or troublesome clients. First, there is too much talking behind people's backs and throwing others under the bus. Too much dishonesty; getting sat down and lied to straight to your face about paid training/bonuses, and shady handling of company policies like sick time, vacation, and reimbursement. This place chews people up and spits them out. Do not believe a word they say.

Stop using Daddy's money. Learn to run things on your own. Completely redefine how you treat and talk to people. Make employee development your number one goal, not your number one joke. Don't be so fake; "Hey Buddy, how'ya doin?" everytime you ask someone to stay late at 4:50pm (and then make them feel guilty for requesting overtime pay).

Learn through osmosis, because they do not have any training program at all

Former Employee - Field Tech in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Sequent Information Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They do try to keep their customers happy.

Cons

Could care less about the health, family or well being of their employees. Total micro-management, You must send an email to everyone if you are leaving the office even if it is only for a minute, then notify them when you get back. There is no uniformity in client documentation. They give you little to no leeway if you go over the time they quoted the client, because we all know nothing ever goes wrong or issues come up when working on computers or networks. And whatever you do, NEVER question management decisions or lack of procedures. Also if you get injured on the job, plan on filing any paperwork on your own. Because even if you report it to your supervisor they will never bring up how to file a claim or allow you time off to see a Doctor.
    You are given very little training or direction on how they want client issues handled, you are just expected to know these things. And be prepared to use your own vehicle, and pay for gas with little to no compensation.

Hire good people, train them on company procedures, and let them do their job correctly the first time without interference. An employee handbook, or electronic documentation that includes screenshots for using company systems would be very helpful. Consistent forms and documentation for each client site would cut research and repair time by at least half.

Think Twice!!

I worked at Sequent Information Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch once in a while.

Cons

Too many old timers deeply entrenched in their roles. Dictators at best and never willing to help. Throw people into the job with little to no training and then expects miraculous results. Leadership worst ever seen, a lot of great people wasted because management would not support them. Terrible place, better think twice.

Learn how to respect your employees

Great family oriented company

I have been working at Sequent Information Systems part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sequent is great about working around school and family schedules and giving employees time off. Starting pay is good for the area and they compensate employees for gas The company does expect a lot of their employees but is also good about giving raises and more responsibilities when those expectations are met. They support many different companies in the area and have grown a lot since I first started. They occasionally provide breakfast and lunch for employees and have a very nice Christmas Party.

Cons

There is a high tech turnover.

The company is a ploy for the Springer family to fill its coffers and support a right-wing political agenda.

Former Employee - Technician in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Sequent Information Systems part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My starting pay was reasonable considering my skills and experience. I received additional compensation for gas and maintenance for my vehicle. I was constantly challenged to take on more difficult tasks. The company supported a wide variety of clients in the community. Management was willing to work around my full-time college schedule. They also provided breakfast and lunch on occasion and a Christmas party at a nice restaurant.

Cons

My starting pay was decreased without a warning or reason. Although I was challenged, I received little to no training to have a chance at succeeding. There was a serious lack of communication with regards to instruction, deadlines, and expectations. I was given projects that management would not even take on so that when I failed they could blame me in order to buy themselves more time. They pride themselves on quantity over quality with regards to getting work done. I often had to go back to the client several times to address different issues. When I decided to address all the issues at once (ask around for problems), both the client and management thought that I was incompetent when I was trying to be efficient. While working there for several years, I saw a high turn-over rate in the secretary and technician positions. They seem to hire based on looks and political ideology rather than skills and experience.

Wean yourself from the support of your family. Go back to college and obtain formal education in business management, finance and human resources. Learn how to effectively support and train your employees. Hire people based on skills and experience.

No communication or training

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Sequent Information Systems part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were very nice to your face. Not sure about behind your back though.

Cons

I was never reprimanded or told that I was doing my job bad or wrong. I found my exact job on Craigslist. When I asked for an explanation I was ignored. I had to email the entire company to get a call back if I was supposed to work or not. Then I was told I would NOT be given a reason why I was let go. Nice place.....

Talk to your employees!!!!

Office politics and poor employee treatment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Sequent Information Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits were on par for the area.

Cons

I was promised one job then given another, then let go when I had completed a project for a large client. Management was non-communicative, volatile, and cared more about the bottom line than company reputation or employee well being. I would not work for them and would, and have, recommended other companies avoid them.

Not a good choice...

Current Employee - Technician in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I have been working at Sequent Information Systems

Pros

Sequent will work around your schedule, take you out to lunch every once and awhile, and let you go home an hour early on Fridays. I believe all this is done as a front and not intended to boost morale.

Cons

Sequent's Co-owners are incompetent when it comes to running a business. Neither of them have a college education or any experience in running a business before they started Sequent. One of the owner’s parents takes charge of the company financials. This coupled with lack of communication and the unwillingness to train their employees is a big reason for their sickening six month turn around.

Only work for Sequent for a short time and for the experience.

Management is Childish and treats employees like disposable pawns.

I worked at Sequent Information Systems

Pros

Wages are on par with the area

Cons

Management is childish, they fire people at the drop of a hat often without an explanation. The management treat the workplace as some kind of power game. There is ZERO training and you are expected to basically be psychic and instantly know everything management knows or you will get "talked to". There is always drama in the office and someone is always in trouble (most of the time it is a way for management to cover their own failures). There is Zero job security and if you are an IT professional steer clear of this company, the reason they are still in business is because there really is not other choice in Grand Junction, but they are a poor business with no morals, no backbone and Zero integrity.

Grow up, get some management training (not just a seminar) and treat your staff properly