Sequoia Equities

Great company

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing people, great benefits, small office setting. Loved my time here, would have stayed but moved out of the area and they only had a Cailfornia pressence at the time.

Cons

Growing a little faster than they are ready for. Slow down a little bit, do not forget where you started.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Equities full-time for less than a year

Pros

I spent over a year working to get into a management position with Sequoia. I am so impressed with all the training and support that is offered to each employee. Sequoia takes education very seriously and is constantly offering classes for each employee to better themselves while keeping abreast on industry changes. They fly you up north for training.

Benefits are very good. Pay is very competitive and bonuses are excellent if meet the leasing criteria. They have employee fun day and give back to the employees and their family with a paid day off to a specified event.

Overall I am very pleased and greatly appreciate the opportunity to work with one of the leaders in out industry.

Cons

Lots of marketing changes can be difficult to keep up with if you are not following closely. You have to be very prepared, and ready to work hard. If you can't give 100% and meet Sequoia requirements, this probably isn't the right company for you. The properties are incredibly busy and you will get overwhelmed if you aren't on top of your game.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of training, incentives, and great bonuses. My manager in particular is amazing-- Definitely encourages personal growth.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest for the amount of work done.

Continue to train Community Managers to uplift, support, and encourage their team. Also, business attire as dress code would be great... Rather than the frumpy uniforms we order.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its ok..

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Sequoia Equities full-time

Pros

Sequoia is large enough that there is room to grow or transfer to other properties or positions.

Cons

You really need to have a cheer leader mentality here. If you cannot put on a fake newscaster smile and schmooze with them, you're going to have a bad time. Not enough innovative thought

Get real business minded people incorporate office.

Dead end job - former portfolio accountant

Former Employee - Portfolio Accountant  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Portfolio Accountant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason I liked this job was the corporate office's location in downtown Walnut Creek

Cons

- accounting department is stale, portfolio accountant is a dead end job
    - accounting department management is very reluctant of any change or ideas
    - procedures are convoluted and unchanging from year to year
    - you have to clock in and out, micromanagement in everything
    -there are many unnecessary pointless rules

-review procedures in the accounting department
    -review all the micromanagement going on
    -create opportunities for personal and professional growth within the department
    -open door policy proved itself to be useless at the point I was leaving the company
    -management is not open to new ideas at all

I enjoy working at Sequoia. This is a very innovative company and it has a great culture.

I have been working at Sequoia Equities

Pros

At Sequoia, there is a lot of support from the corporate office and from your colleagues. Everyone is helpful and responds promptly to assist you with any challenges you may be facing at your propety. Sequoia also offers extensive training.

Cons

If you are willing to work hard, adapt to change, and be part of the team, you will be successful at Sequoia. Sequoia is also big on promoting from within.

Keep on listening to your employees that way you have been because they have the best advice on making the product and service better.

Support, Structured, Freedom to try YOUR ideas that you know from experience work.

I have been working at Sequoia Equities

Pros

They offer invaluable support with structured values, yet are not so rigid to try a new well executed idea or marketing plan. They value people first with senior managment being very transparent and available. There is plenty of room for advancement if you are willing to slightly relocate.

Cons

Hopefully they gain a wider range of benefits with more affordable options.

A company that stands by their misson statements and values.

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Pacific Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Pacific Grove, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

From our Executive Team, to our Regional Managers, Marketing and Training department, RISK department, Customer Care, Regional Associates, Accounting, etc; Sequoia Equities is a Company that is not only innovative, they are truly inspiring.

The knowledge, availability, core values, dedication, hard work, and desire to be better, are what set Sequoia apart from the mass of other Management Companies out there. Each and every person(s) I have had the pleasure and opportunity to work with has only further exemplified how dedicated Sequoia is to their employees. They will encourage you to grow internally, push you to be the best you can be, and most importantly share and engage you in Company successes, developments, and opportunities for change.

I have found a Company that I am not only proud to work for, but inspired to work for each day. Time and time again I would recommend Sequoia for anyone looking to explore and expand upon their knowledge and potential in the Property Management industry. They will hold you accountable and expect you to work hard and if your motivated, it is worth all of the hard work you put in; because you will feel like an asset and not simply an employee.

I am excited for what the future holds for Sequoia because I am confident that they will continue to set themselves apart in a very positive way.

"Our greatest competitive advantage is not found within the brick and mortar of our communities or the company itself, but within each individual on our team."

Cons

Sequoia is ever evolving to be the best they can be. If you are resistant to change, this is likely not the Company for you.

Keep setting Sequoia apart - your hard work and dedication do not go unnoticed!

This is not just a job, it's a career

Current Employee - Regional Portfolio Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Portfolio Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Just the right size - big enough for advancement but not too big that you feel like a number, great people to work with, ownership really cares about the employees. Compensation is fair and there are a lot of opportunities to do extras like train and mentor other employees. Training program is top notch and continues even for tenured employees.

Cons

You must be flexible, if you can't do well with change, you won't survive. Due to the nature of the industry, to take full advantage of opportunities, you may need to be willing to relocate.

Keep doing what you're doing! As the company grows, don't outgrow the intimate feeling that brought most of us here.

Completely unprofessional and highly egotistical.

I worked at Sequoia Equities full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a job the only pros for working within Sequoia are;
    A pay check
    Vacation days
    Medical coverage

There are constant open positions due to people constantly leaving the company.

Cons

As a company that boasts "being one of best" they fall so very short and count on their employees ignorance in knowing any better.

The incentives they offer are meager in comparison to other companies that are actually top ranked not self proclaimed.

The medical benefits are highly overpriced in comparison again to most other companies.

As for the culture they promote, it's not at all about being the best or being knowledgeable. It's about being friends with your boss and Lying about performance issues.

There are employees in the HR department with personal friendships with on-site employees. Managers have been promoted unqualified over other employees based on relationships.

In summation, this company talks very big but delivers very little in return. The training is poorly thrown together including the major fair housing and screening policies and regulations trainings.

To upper management I'd say you should be submitting review surveys to your on-site personal to review their management. The on-site management should be doing the same for your regionals, and all should be reviewed by upper management only.

On-site managers should hold to their schedules better and focus more on email follow up then where you're going out this weekend with your current best friend/employee. If you fail to perform a task properly, don't lie about it. Own your faults and learn from them. Less lawsuits come from mistakes that are honestly dealt with.

Worked for Sequoia Equities? Contribute to the Community!