SeraCare Life Sciences Reviews

2.5
SeraCare Life Sciences CEO Charlie Mamrak
Charlie Mamrak

1. Featured Review

Dynamic company with definite growth and career potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SeraCare Life Sciences hired me directly out of college and has provided me with great opportunities in developing my career in science. Fellow teammates are people I trust and count on in my day-to-day work activities, many of whom I have been able to become friends with. This company is an innovative and dynamic place to work at and promotes career development and advancement. SeraCare recognizes hard work and perseverance in its employees.

Cons

Challenges incurred in working at SeraCare invoke a need for adaptability. Though deadlines and projects can be a constant challenge, it is to be expected in this industry, as there is an ever-growing need for new products to be designed and manufactured for the research and improvement of human health.

Though we work in a fast-paced, customer/product-driven environment and there are given time constraints, I would be interested in greater opportunities as an employee to gain more knowledge about the scientific research and development of our products.

2. Fast paced and challenging

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences

Pros

Been working at Seracare since 2012 and have seen lots of changes, mostly for the better. They started a new strategy for the diagnostics industry that has given us a more focused direction. Working on interesting new products for cancer and other areas. We are pushed hard but feel we're making good progress. Management has high expectations but is very open communicating with employees. Lots of chances to learn about new technology, products and customers. I have been given a lot of responsibility and feel that my manager trusts me.

Cons

Sometimes communications between headquarters and Gaithersburg could be better. Fast pace and changing priorities can be hard at times. Sometimes conflicts between groups working through changing priorities can be frustrating.

Would be good to have healthy snack options in the vending machines and an exercise romm would be good.

3. No real company focus other than making profit.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences

Pros

The best reason to work here and really the only reason is to not be unemployed. Sometimes they have food at meeting scheduled during lunch hours.

Cons

Seracare is a company that makes it painfully obvious that employees have little value. Pay is way below industry average. Their benefits are also subpar and they make no attempt to make new employees (or older ones) to feel vested in the company.
     There is no real quality control in the supposed cGMP laboratory setting; employees rarely follow SOP's and tend to do operations based on memory or personal preference. Management knows how bad working conditions are and make no attempt to change anything. They even started a committee to start posting positive reviews on this site once they found out about all the negative ones. In addition to all that, they routinely violate EPA regulations by dumping human plasma down sink drains which goes right into the Milford city sewer system.

5. The company was in constant flux with new managers and a new direction every year.

Former Employee - Technical Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Manager

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent product portfolio and offerings for diagnostic companies at a price.

Cons

Difficult environment with constant changes year over year and overall confusion within the company. Long term vision not clear and sense of company always for sale.

Be clear on focus and short-term as well as long-term company goals and the path towards those goals.

Very disappointed in my experience here.

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

Free coffee, free fruit on Wednesdays, lot's of parking, great commute and yummy cookies at company meetings.

Cons

Compensation is low and below industry standard. Benefits are mediocre. Paid time off policy lumps sick time and vacation time. Lot's of sick people come to work when they shouldn't. When you get sick you feel like your being punished if you take time off. Management is out of touch with their employees. There is a lot of finger pointing and back stabbing instead of working together to resolve issues. Many mangers don't have a clue about their own departments and will try to impress executives at the expense of their own staff. There is lot's of turn over. The company has lost lot's of hard working talent. Morale is low. Career growth is limited to nonexistent.

Mixed sentiments

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

SeraCare is a clean place to work, the office spaces and labs are well maintained and cleaned regularly. Headquarters is located off of Rt. 495 away from the main hub of Boston, traffic to and from work is usually light unless a major accident happens. SeraCare has a good handle on work/life balance, vacation and personal days are almost always approved. The company does remarkable work that benefits the biotech and IVD industry. The free coffee and weekly fruit baskets are nice amenities.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not competitive compared to other companies. Political strife is high in senior management. The company made some poor strategic decisions by laying off talented employees which has led current employees to not feel optimistic for the future of the company. The turnover rate of new employees is uncomfortably high. Company procedures lack efficiency.

SeraCare needs to realize that the employees are their greatest asset. The lack of professional development opportunities; seminars, conferences, continuing education and certifications will only hurt the future of the company. Invest in your current pool of employees and show them they are appreciated; promote, train, and reward hardworking individuals not just the ones who conduct meetings all day.

Employees' Hard Work means Nothing. There is really no "CARE" in SeraCare

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

Fresh Fruit Wednesday (for as long as that may last). Good stepping stone for someone right out of college.

Cons

SeraCare cares little for their hard working employees. No matter how much lower level employees do, it isn't recognized. There are many promises of reward, but those are all empty. "Senior Management" is a joke, moved up the ladder way too quickly. They give too much power to people that can't handle it. Lower level employees are over-worked and underpaid. Anyone who calls the facilities clean obviously hasn't spent time in all areas. According to company core values, Team Building is valued, yet people tear each other down at every opportunity. There is an underlying "vibe" of "every man (or woman, especially woman) for themselves. You can't trust your co-workers. Upper management doesn't take employee concerns seriously, and mid-management advises employees against going to upper management with any issues.

Stop taking employees for granted. Listen to what they have to say. All of your "team building" activities do nothing when you don't have all of the managers on board. When employees are dissuaded from having a sense of camaraderie with their co-workers, there is little room to work as a team.

9. Great career opportunities!

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

I started my career at a very large company, transitioned to a mid-sized firm, and finally accepted my current position with SeraCare. When asked about this employment pattern recently, as it seemed very un-conventional to the person, I said it was because I wanted to find a place where no matter my job title or my role, I had the ability to make an impact on an organization - and that is what I have found at SeraCare.

Cons

As with many small companies with immense upside, the environment can often be fast paced and include changes in roles and responsibilities. Additionally, some of the "perks" often associated with large companies may not be available. However, the chance to grow and develop professionally often outweighs what SeraCare lacks elsewhere.

10. Growing company with bright future

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SeraCare Life Sciences is an exciting place to work. The company is small giving it the ability to adapt and implement change quickly. This is definitely refreshing after working for large companies throughout my career. From my experience, large companies struggle to implement change quickly and tend to have too much bureaucracy making many processes inefficient.

Leadership is committed to making SeraCare an employer of choice for top talent. In the past, employees were afraid to be honest and speak their mind but this is changing. Leadership is now encouraging employee to speak up and is listening to staff. I have been with SeraCare for only a few months and have seen a lot of positive changes with more changes to come.

The culture is friendly and hardworking with a strong sense of comradery. Employees work well together and treat each other with respect. Unlike other companies, SeraCare has “working” directors who are not afraid to roll-up their sleeves and do the dirty work. At some companies, senior managers sometimes feel they are “above” the general staff but this is not the case at SeraCare.

Last but not least, I believe in the mission at SeraCare in improving quality of life through the understanding of diseases. It is important for me to know my work is ultimately helping people by better understanding diseases. This motivates me every day.

Cons

Some policies and benefits are not up to par with larger companies. The 401K match is minimal and some HR policies could be improved, specifically sick time. SeraCare combines vacation time with sick time. This discourages employees from staying home when sick because they don’t want to lose time planned for vacations. When employees go to work sick they can get others sick and this becomes a domino effect.

Compare current policies (HR and benefits) to policies of other leading companies in the industry. Consider increasing the 401K match. Separating sick time from vacation time would promote a healthier workplace. Having a flexible work schedule would be effective in retaining and attracting top talent. An individual’s work and accomplishments should be the focus, not the time one arrives to work or how late they stay.

11. Great experience at SeraCare

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros: Good benefits, competitive pay, great colleagues, interesting and challenging work, positive work environment and consistent feedback on work performance. In my experience, the company provided above average employee recognition for a job well done. Also above average in work/life balance which was important to me.

Cons

Changes within the company can be challenging and employees who enjoy the status quo may find it difficult. However, those with an open mind and flexible personality will enjoy and possibly thrive in this environment. I personally enjoyed being a part of the evolution.

Continue to keep the lines of communication open with the employees--it makes a positive difference and we appreciate it!