SeraCare Life Sciences

2.3

SeraCare Life Sciences CEO Charlie Mamrak
Charlie Mamrak

Mixed sentiments

Pros

SeraCare is a clean place to work, the office spaces and labs are well maintained and cleaned regularly. Headquarters is located off of Rt. 495 away from the main hub of Boston, traffic to and from work is usually light unless a major accident happens. SeraCare has a good handle on work/life balance, vacation and personal days are almost always approved. The company does remarkable work that benefits the biotech and IVD industry. The free coffee and weekly fruit baskets are nice amenities.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not competitive compared to other companies. Political strife is high in senior management. The company made some poor strategic decisions by laying off talented employees which has led current employees to not feel optimistic for the future of the company. The turnover rate of new employees is uncomfortably high. Company procedures lack efficiency.

SeraCare needs to realize that the employees are their greatest asset. The lack of professional development opportunities; seminars, conferences, continuing education and certifications will only hurt the future of the company. Invest in your current pool of employees and show them they are appreciated; promote, train, and reward hardworking individuals not just the ones who conduct meetings all day.

Very disappointed in my experience here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

Pros

Free coffee, free fruit on Wednesdays, lot's of parking, great commute and yummy cookies at company meetings.

Cons

Compensation is low and below industry standard. Benefits are mediocre. Paid time off policy lumps sick time and vacation time. Lot's of sick people come to work when they shouldn't. When you get sick you feel like your being punished if you take time off. Management is out of touch with their employees. There is a lot of finger pointing and back stabbing instead of working together to resolve issues. Many mangers don't have a clue about their own departments and will try to impress executives at the expense of their own staff. There is lot's of turn over. The company has lost lot's of hard working talent. Morale is low. Career growth is limited to nonexistent.

Dynamic company with definite growth and career potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

Pros

SeraCare Life Sciences hired me directly out of college and has provided me with great opportunities in developing my career in science. Fellow teammates are people I trust and count on in my day-to-day work activities, many of whom I have been able to become friends with. This company is an innovative and dynamic place to work at and promotes career development and advancement. SeraCare recognizes hard work and perseverance in its employees.

Cons

Challenges incurred in working at SeraCare invoke a need for adaptability. Though deadlines and projects can be a constant challenge, it is to be expected in this industry, as there is an ever-growing need for new products to be designed and manufactured for the research and improvement of human health.

Though we work in a fast-paced, customer/product-driven environment and there are given time constraints, I would be interested in greater opportunities as an employee to gain more knowledge about the scientific research and development of our products.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career opportunities!

Pros

I started my career at a very large company, transitioned to a mid-sized firm, and finally accepted my current position with SeraCare. When asked about this employment pattern recently, as it seemed very un-conventional to the person, I said it was because I wanted to find a place where no matter my job title or my role, I had the ability to make an impact on an organization - and that is what I have found at SeraCare.

Cons

As with many small companies with immense upside, the environment can often be fast paced and include changes in roles and responsibilities. Additionally, some of the "perks" often associated with large companies may not be available. However, the chance to grow and develop professionally often outweighs what SeraCare lacks elsewhere.

Employees' Hard Work means Nothing. There is really no "CARE" in SeraCare

Pros

Fresh Fruit Wednesday (for as long as that may last). Good stepping stone for someone right out of college.

Cons

SeraCare cares little for their hard working employees. No matter how much lower level employees do, it isn't recognized. There are many promises of reward, but those are all empty. "Senior Management" is a joke, moved up the ladder way too quickly. They give too much power to people that can't handle it. Lower level employees are over-worked and underpaid. Anyone who calls the facilities clean obviously hasn't spent time in all areas. According to company core values, Team Building is valued, yet people tear each other down at every opportunity. There is an underlying "vibe" of "every man (or woman, especially woman) for themselves. You can't trust your co-workers. Upper management doesn't take employee concerns seriously, and mid-management advises employees against going to upper management with any issues.

Stop taking employees for granted. Listen to what they have to say. All of your "team building" activities do nothing when you don't have all of the managers on board. When employees are dissuaded from having a sense of camaraderie with their co-workers, there is little room to work as a team.

Growing company with bright future

Pros

SeraCare Life Sciences is an exciting place to work. The company is small giving it the ability to adapt and implement change quickly. This is definitely refreshing after working for large companies throughout my career. From my experience, large companies struggle to implement change quickly and tend to have too much bureaucracy making many processes inefficient.

Leadership is committed to making SeraCare an employer of choice for top talent. In the past, employees were afraid to be honest and speak their mind but this is changing. Leadership is now encouraging employee to speak up and is listening to staff. I have been with SeraCare for only a few months and have seen a lot of positive changes with more changes to come.

The culture is friendly and hardworking with a strong sense of comradery. Employees work well together and treat each other with respect. Unlike other companies, SeraCare has “working” directors who are not afraid to roll-up their sleeves and do the dirty work. At some companies, senior managers sometimes feel they are “above” the general staff but this is not the case at SeraCare.

Last but not least, I believe in the mission at SeraCare in improving quality of life through the understanding of diseases. It is important for me to know my work is ultimately helping people by better understanding diseases. This motivates me every day.

Cons

Some policies and benefits are not up to par with larger companies. The 401K match is minimal and some HR policies could be improved, specifically sick time. SeraCare combines vacation time with sick time. This discourages employees from staying home when sick because they don’t want to lose time planned for vacations. When employees go to work sick they can get others sick and this becomes a domino effect.

Compare current policies (HR and benefits) to policies of other leading companies in the industry. Consider increasing the 401K match. Separating sick time from vacation time would promote a healthier workplace. Having a flexible work schedule would be effective in retaining and attracting top talent. An individual’s work and accomplishments should be the focus, not the time one arrives to work or how late they stay.

Great experience at SeraCare

Pros

Pros: Good benefits, competitive pay, great colleagues, interesting and challenging work, positive work environment and consistent feedback on work performance. In my experience, the company provided above average employee recognition for a job well done. Also above average in work/life balance which was important to me.

Cons

Changes within the company can be challenging and employees who enjoy the status quo may find it difficult. However, those with an open mind and flexible personality will enjoy and possibly thrive in this environment. I personally enjoyed being a part of the evolution.

Continue to keep the lines of communication open with the employees--it makes a positive difference and we appreciate it!

I'm extremely disappointed in SeraCare

Pros

I have a few coworkers who I really respect and appreciate because they make the work day bearable and I know I can trust them. I also like having such a short commute to work. I've had some good opportunities to grow in my career too.

Cons

I think the compensation is below average here and it is frustrating. I work so hard and I'm told that I'm doing a good job but then I don't get compensated fairly. I have to always keep my guard up and be careful because people throw each other under the bus here and it makes the culture negative and defensive. SeraCare even created a group to try and get us to write on this site. That has only stirred more tension and makes me trust SeraCare even less. Maybe SeraCare could try looking at the root problems and what is actually causing these issues rather than try to make a "quick fix" to try and improve our star rating by pressuring people. Maybe focus more on how employees actually feel, why we don't trust anyone, and why we are so scared to speak up. People are leaving SeraCare left and right. The company should be more concerned with solving that.

It's not right for new upper managers to come in here and make radical changes and fire people when you don't even know us and don't even care to get to know us. These new executives think they know everything but they really don't know where we've come from or what we're all about. And employees are not valued or respected. So many good and talented people have been secretly shuffled out the door and let go. Most of the company is brand new because the turnover is so high. No one has a clue what is going on. I can't help but wonder if I'm next on the chopping block. It seems to me that good employees are not appreciated and no one cares if they kick you to the curb. You should care more about employees and how we feel rather than how you look on a website.

New and Already Looking for Next Job

Pros

There are some cool people to work with and some nice middle managers. I have made a lot of coworker friends and enjoying chilling with people outside of work. I also have been happy with some of the projects I've worked on and lunch presentations are very interesting.

Cons

I am very dissatisfied with my choice in SeraCare. People point fingers and put blame on each other rather than taking responsibility. Most people are afraid that they will get canned because they see people get let go constantly. The company has had so many changes in management and there is no clarity on our roles. I feel that upper management does not respect us and is not actively trying to solve the problems we face. The pay is mediocre but I knew that going in. I know that many people who have been working here longer than me have not seen any promotions or pay increases and they are good performing employees who work hard and set the bar high. I don't see any growth potential or opportunities to move up here. I am already looking for the next job.

The executive team is untrustworthy. People who I considered experts when I was first hired here were shown such disrespect and kicked out the door as a thanks for their many years of hard work. My advice is to appreciate employees and make them feel rewarded for hard work rather than kick them to the curb.

No Hope for Advancement.

Pros

Free lunches at some of the meetings

Cons

SeraCare does not value its employees. People are made to feel disposable and they have no chances to grow in their career and see so many others leaving for bigger and better opportunities. High performing employees are not rewarded nor are they appreciated. Salary and benefits are barely tolerable and below average. Culture is extremely negative and de-moralizing. I have never worked at an organization that has so many cons across the board. Some places at least have some redeeming perks or some fun people to work with, but I can't even share in misery with others. Comradery is non-existent.

There is no "I" in "team." Furthermore, there is no "big wig executive" in "team." Executives come in and think they can rebuild the whole place without getting input from others. Don't preach that this is an organization that values collaborative work and team-building if you do not care about your middle level and entry level employees and what they have to say. You are all a bunch of hypocrites. Until you take the time to learn about the rest of your organization, you will continue to frustrate people and see more turnover. You can start trying to change the culture if you just listen and make your employees feel valued. Right now, you just instill fear by firing so many people and you create anger by not promoting good employees and showing them they are appreciated. When all the talent leaves, then what?

Worked for SeraCare Life Sciences? Contribute to the Community!