SeraCare Life Sciences Reviews

SeraCare Life Sciences CEO Charlie Mamrak
Charlie Mamrak

Manufacturing Associate

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

I loved the people I worked with

Cons

Definitely underpaid for the responsibility I had

2. DIrector Marketing

Former Employee - DIRECTOR of MARKETING and CUSTOMER in Sharon, MA
    Former Employee - DIRECTOR of MARKETING and CUSTOMER in Sharon, MA

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

State of transition so future uncertain

Great direction

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

I've been with the company for over 1 year. At my previous company that was much bigger than SeraCare, I never really had any contact with senior management. Here, I attend meetings with senior managers, get to contribute, and I think I am recognized as someone who is well prepared and has an opportunity to build my career. I understand the direction and strategies of the company, as the message is consistent and discussed on a regular basis. I also like the set of values that SeraCare established. I hear my fellow workers discussing them on a regular basis.

Cons

I think the exposure at a company this size is great for me because I want to build my career. For others, they may think it's a negative. At least that's what I hear occasionally. Some of these employees have left for whatever reason. It seems to me it's usually the people who are not doing well or uncomfortable with the exposure.

Advice to Management

Continue providing the direction and reviewing it regularly with all of us. I think it provides great direction and I know others feel the same way. Thanks for the opportunity to build my career.

former employee

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Milford, MA

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Needed a job and it was there

Cons

layoffs are annoying.
    wanted me to commute for 2hrs for two weeks, two weeks turned into 3 weeks, and then four....and then i said no more.

SmellyCare.........

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time

Pros

Seracare.....a really stinky environment to work in.
    If you are applying here, think again, and run far far away.
    Those who already haven't are ready to jump this sinking stinking ship due to the crazy atmosphere Seracare has become.

Cons

Co-workers are mostly hard-working and helpful, but many are in cahoots with certain managers and are looking to advance their own careers if possible by backstabbing and working against others.

Managment needs to focus on bringing SeraCare back to being the place it used to be, an interesting and exciting environment where you felt like you learned more and more each day in your job and not becoming a total mindless robot who feared losing their job.

Advice to Management

Get some new faces in here, and this means supervisors and managers. It's time to weed out those who are sinking the ship from those who work hard everyday to keep it afloat. Maybe you should start sending managers to some actual management training classes instead of promoting people mindlessly because of their years in service.

Worst place I've ever worked, draining on every level

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milford, MA

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is great, close to the highway. Lots of restaurants in the vicinity. They provide free coffee, water, and fruit on certain days. Nice office space and pleasant people.

Cons

There is an incredibly hostile relationship between senior management and the rest of the employees. Senior management blames their own staff when things don't go smoothly. Unfortunately, there is no real plan and major changes are seemingly initiated daily, causing mass confusion about who does what. They consistently miss their bank covenants and expect outrageous growth for aging and out of stock products. There is a significant distrust among the employees (and for good reason) and a suffocating low moral. The turnover rate is astounding. Every time new talent comes in, they leave as soon as they can in order to escape the insanity at this asylum. Upper management bashes employees in earshot of other employees which is so unprofessional. Seracare is not a successful company and if I were the investment company, I'd look very closely at the "business plan" and likely initiate yet another investigation into management. There is such a divide between the executives and the peons, it's impossible for them to truly understand the business in order to develop a decent business plan. They make plans on hopes and dreams rather than reality.

Advice to Management

Put some checks and balances in where management is concerned. Try harder to keep your talent (which is expensive to replace) by promoting a more open and trustworthy environment, starting with you. Management is not viewed very well by anyone at SeraCare and it's a common thread among these reviews. Perhaps some sensitivity training and discrimination training for your VPs.

Advice to those considering SeraCare-
    Unless you are desperate (and I mean destitute), continue your job search. The reviews listed here are very accurate (except for the positive ones that people were forced to post or are completely fabricated). Management at SeraCare is too jaded to see the error of their ways, so changes are not likely to occur, except maybe the next time the company is sold and they are all fired.

Fast paced and challenging

I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences

Pros

Been working at Seracare since 2012 and have seen lots of changes, mostly for the better. They started a new strategy for the diagnostics industry that has given us a more focused direction. Working on interesting new products for cancer and other areas. We are pushed hard but feel we're making good progress. Management has high expectations but is very open communicating with employees. Lots of chances to learn about new technology, products and customers. I have been given a lot of responsibility and feel that my manager trusts me.

Cons

Sometimes communications between headquarters and Gaithersburg could be better. Fast pace and changing priorities can be hard at times. Sometimes conflicts between groups working through changing priorities can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Would be good to have healthy snack options in the vending machines and an exercise romm would be good.

The comedy which is SeraCare is NOT a place to seek employment if moving forward in life is you goal. Its a crazy place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, easy commute, snow days and random parties with food and drinks provided. Most weekends off and no established break or lunch schedule. This does help with making phone calls and running appointments.

Cons

Lets start with pour communication from building to building (there are three) and building C marches their own drum on a daily basis. The work environment is somewhat hostile throughout the company with on going finger pointing and back stabbing. Consistent bad language and disrespect towards women is disgusting, with grown men talk trash when ever a female enters and leaves, also running to the windows to stare at females walking by just to make obscene comments. The buddy system is out of control and room to grow or advance is a laughable matter. Training is done in the worst way, and lacks any structure . Accidents are overlooked or covered up, Breaks are closely monitored for some, while others break almost every hour without issue. If or when an HR employee walks in it becomes a show of smoke and mirrors never allowing them to see the reality going on. What else is a shame is the fact that SeraCare pays three supervisors / managers to oversee nine people. YES 9! Although one person of authority whom lingers around disrupting the work environment with the title of Director is there only to socialize with his buddies and discuss who is drinking what and where after work. All this added in with pour financial compensation creates massive employee turnover throughout the company. SeraCare truly does not care, I would recommend seeking employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, review compensation in the industry and get on board. Implement Drug testing to be hired and then random testing on an annual basis (you need this more then you know) Have HR in each building on a regular schedule to visit with employees and be involved. If profits are a concern, why three managers for nine people? Last of all, stop having people post false reviews to make the above issues seem non existent .

No real company focus other than making profit.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences

Pros

The best reason to work here and really the only reason is to not be unemployed. Sometimes they have food at meeting scheduled during lunch hours.

Cons

Seracare is a company that makes it painfully obvious that employees have little value. Pay is way below industry average. Their benefits are also subpar and they make no attempt to make new employees (or older ones) to feel vested in the company.
     There is no real quality control in the supposed cGMP laboratory setting; employees rarely follow SOP's and tend to do operations based on memory or personal preference. Management knows how bad working conditions are and make no attempt to change anything. They even started a committee to start posting positive reviews on this site once they found out about all the negative ones. In addition to all that, they routinely violate EPA regulations by dumping human plasma down sink drains which goes right into the Milford city sewer system.

The company was in constant flux with new managers and a new direction every year.

Former Employee - Technical Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Manager

I worked at SeraCare Life Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent product portfolio and offerings for diagnostic companies at a price.

Cons

Difficult environment with constant changes year over year and overall confusion within the company. Long term vision not clear and sense of company always for sale.

Advice to Management

Be clear on focus and short-term as well as long-term company goals and the path towards those goals.

RSS Feed </> Embed