Serco, Inc. Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Daniel Allen

Pros
  • They try to promote a good work/life balance, but really it depends on project (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great opportunites for advancement (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between the Army IMCOM and Serco in developing guiding policies and implementation processes (in 7 reviews)

• Little to no room for advancement, which means getting on the day shift could take several years (in 6 reviews)

1. Huge company, Small feel

I have been working at Serco, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Serco is a huge company, but doesn't always feel like one. The company is broken down into business units then geographical offices within each unit. So you get the benefits and security of a big company without most of the negatives that come along with it. The best asset Serco has is its people and management team. There is no micromanagement. They actually trust you to get your job done by the means that work best for you. There is absolutely a great work/life balanced culture here. Management also actually cares about your growth opportunities and will set goals and help you achieve them, like really.

Cons

It's not ALL great, however. Because Serco is still a large company at it's core, change takes time. Everything, from operating procedures, work instructions, process flows, etc must be documented and periodic audits occur to make sure we all follow our stuff. Lately I feel like revenue and profit are becoming more of a driving force behind the business (sounds like duh, but it used to not be that way). Sometimes the work we do can seem a little repetitive but I guess that's the nature of the business. Also, working for the government Serco is held to a lot of regulatory standards which can be annoying, but again, more the industry we work in and not so much a company issue.

Advice to Management

From Ed Catmull of 'Creativity Inc', Serco has a Feed the Beast mentality and not as much Protect the Ugly Baby. There needs to be a balance between the two and I think we are losing the sight of that. Otherwise, management is doing great. You're what keeps me coming back everyday.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Personnel Employment Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personnel Employment Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Serco, Inc.

Pros

Excellent management, they support you and want you to excel.

Cons

The only cons I have are, raises are non existent and vacation is given on a yearly basis. You don't accrue every pay period.

3. Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Serco, Inc. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was contracted to the government. Limited company interactions but when I did it was good. Our group's VP was reachable and came by the client site to check in on the troops. Calls to HQ for HR, payroll, benefits were quick and painless.

Cons

None really. The only gripe I had was that the onsite management people were should be more in tune to the workers there.

Advice to Management

Quarterly meet and greets at client site without prime/sub contract company people present

5. eligiblity/verification Specialist

Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Lawton, OK

I worked at Serco, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Community, great pay, and a great company cooperate structure, and benefits!

Cons

sub-contracting structure is constantly changing, and is disorganized to real life practices... But it IS getting better.

6. Depends on contract

I have been working at Serco, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. That's about the best I can say. Locally, we have good co-workers, but that's on our local manager, not Serco. Other offices have awful people, so it's clearly not standard across the company,

Cons

Lowest pay they can get away with. Corporate communications are rarely pertinent to local employees. No real concern for local employees, but they do pay lip service to showing concern. Paid time off is just enough to be able to say they give it. Does not stand behind local managers. Strong "customer is always right" mentality, regardless of who really is right. Micromanagement at its best. Turnover is huge. Upward mobility is difficult unless you're a favorite and have more education than is truly necessary. Experience is irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Support your staff. Trust them to know what works at their location as long as they stay within contract boundaries. Pay your staff enough to live on, actually appreciate your staff. and you just might reduce turnover.

7. Accounts Payable Admin I

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Accountant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Accountant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Serco, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

Accounting Dept is a Horrible place to work. AP Mgr and Supervisor DO NOT HAVE sufficient Management skills to support Accounting Dept.

Cons

The Benefits and compensation was Great.

Opportunity to Nowhere

Former Employee - Toc Controller in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Toc Controller in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Serco, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

when hired the schedule was the best think going working 4 ten hour shifts

Cons

low pay no chance for advancement unless your from the Uk or know the owner

Advice to Management

No advice for them gave it to them while I was there and refused to listen and didn't care all they care about is making a $ but they are losing more than they are making because of poor mangement.

9. Good place to work

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Serco, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Sales teams, especially in the transporation and facilities management industries, were very professional.

Cons

I did not experience any cons.

10. Serco, Inc

Current Employee - Computer Operator III *Help Desk Technician in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Serco, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a ery big company.

Cons

It is unfortunately contracted employment.

11. Outstanding company, just rated #1 best place to work in DC area

Current Employee - Senior Program in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program in Reston, VA

I have been working at Serco, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great attitudes among management and co-workers

Cons

Cannot think of any -- very few negatives if any.

RSS Feed </> Embed