Serco, Inc.

Updated August 17, 2014

2.9

Serco, Inc. CEO Ed Casey
Ed Casey

Pros
  • Work life balance, great office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great pay, great opportunites for advancement (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for advancement, which means getting on the day shift could take several years (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of communication when rolling out changes that effect the entire company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with Serco has been rewarding, but the company has recently been faced with some challenges.

Pros

Try to promote from within as much as possible. They try to promote a good work/life balance, but really it depends on project. Is taking steps to improve employee engagement.

Cons

Inconsistent message from upper management. Lack of communication between corporate departments. Upper management has a tendency to pay more attention to the opinions of the minority (especially complaints) then to the majority that are happy. Micromanaging is taking place while attempting to improve employee engagement.

In an effort to bring a different culture to the company, upper management has forced its way into lower levels and the new message has not always been consistent and is taking away from everyday operations.

A lot of Change on Management

Former Employee - Program Control Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Program Control Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

Friendly environment and good benefits

Cons

A lot of Change on Management. Constant change in Project Leaders. Lack of winning proposals. Not able to shift between projects.

Stabilize

Overall Work Experience Okay, not challenging work.

Pros

Work-Life Balance was great. Very flexible work environment.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Contracting environment, so always in fear of losing work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company has very strong integrity, from the top down, and has a very bright and strong future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Client-first focus, flexibility in work options.

Cons

Multiple exec leadership changes have caused churn, which will take a while to settle. Cost-cutting measures impact culture.

Focus on building and development executive/senior leaders with strong employee engagement skills.

Good opportunity to work with great clients / customers, management could use some communication and personnel training

Pros

Am able to work independently with a customer on government contracts (I'm in IT) on bases around San Diego. Created an opportunity to work with customers and other SERCO employees at different levels which created a unique, diverse, and education work environment. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Bit of partisanship when it comes to advancement. No clear path towards advancement, and lack of communication by most, but not all, upper management regarding potential contracts, expiring contracts. No communication from some management at all. Worked with them for many years and some may not know what you do or what you're capable of. Yearly review process needs to be updated to be level with the rest of the industry. Raises are unsubstantial for 4 straight years even with above average reviews. Lack of gender and racial diversity at the top.

Communicate more clearly and effectively with all employees. Yes, it's great to know when people receive awards, but it would be great to be informed about upcoming contracts or expiring contracts so we can make long term plans in our personal lives. Understand this may be out of your control, but communicating would help. Create a more open and communicable environment, less of the military structure formality. Counseling or training for employees that are going to be laid off to help them find work in other areas of the company.

SERCO is a good company for a job, but not as career

Current Employee - Business Technical  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Technical in Arlington, VA

Pros

Serco was responsive to provide tools, equipment, training and HR support. Serco hired top-notch people and did not over-supervise employees. Serco paid better than average based on similar positions

Cons

There was a disconnected working relationship with those that were supporting the client/customer on a daily basis and those that worked in the corporate structure. Never will the Corporate office promote you and partner with you. If you are giving 10 gallons of milk in your cubicle (stall) supporting the customer you will remain there forever, as long as you keep producing. There will be little chance to take on a greater responsibility or higher position. Unless you are hired directly into the corporate office structure, you will never get there through merit or skill. If Serco's contract with a customer ends; forget about any transition to another similar position AND there is no room on the bench, even if there are other job openings.

Identify key employees that perform and include them in annual performance bonuses and provide them room on the bench if they are in between contracts.

Diminishing benefits...

Pros

I like the people I work with and I like what I'm doing.

Cons

You're just a number...butt in seat. Management does not care. Corporate keeps taking more and more away. No flexibility any more.

Show that you care about your employees.

Not a satisfying company to work for.

Former Employee - Acquisition Management Specialist III  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Acquisition Management Specialist III in Columbia, MD

Pros

The people I worked with were top notch. The customer was focused and trusted the work force.

Cons

The culture in the company was not one that felt genuine. When I was hired on I was told that "We work very hard and take care of our employees. We always do what we can to place you on a new contract. When push came to shove I was told, along with a number of other employees, that there was absolutely no bench time and that the end of the current contract was the end of my job. Serco did not even do the bare minimum to take care of me and several others.

Get Experience and Leave

Former Employee - Site Manager
    Former Employee - Site Manager

Pros

I worked with great people who wanted to make a difference in-spite of the poor pay. Corporate office help was great as well.

Cons

Poor pay, manager was a bully, high turnover due to the lack of value in employees, positions cut from contracts to save money leaving a heavier workload on others.

You are making money off of governments, at least treat their people (your employees) with respect and pay them a decent salary. Get rid of bad management and nepotism.

Great career path but sequester cut employment opportunities.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits. Competitive salary. Was allowed to attend paid training. Provided new career and learning opportunities. BEST perk: my corporate supervisor mentored me.

Cons

Some managers who were not familiar with benefits gave poor advice causing some subordinates' personal difficulties. (FMLA). Some managers had no management skills that compromised subordinates' success.

All departing employees should have mandatory HR out processing and asked why employee leaving.

Worked for Serco, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!