Serco, Inc.

Serco, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Serco, Inc. CEO Ed Casey

Ed Casey

Pros
  • Work life balance, great office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great pay, great opportunites for advancement (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for advancement, which means getting on the day shift could take several years (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of communication when rolling out changes that effect the entire company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Work Experience Okay, not challenging work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-Life Balance was great. Very flexible work environment.

ConsNot much room for advancement. Contracting environment, so always in fear of losing work.

The company has very strong integrity, from the top down, and has a very bright and strong future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsClient-first focus, flexibility in work options.

ConsMultiple exec leadership changes have caused churn, which will take a while to settle. Cost-cutting measures impact culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building and development executive/senior leaders with strong employee engagement skills.

SERCO is a good company for a job, but not as career

Business Technical (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSerco was responsive to provide tools, equipment, training and HR support. Serco hired top-notch people and did not over-supervise employees. Serco paid better than average based on similar positions

ConsThere was a disconnected working relationship with those that were supporting the client/customer on a daily basis and those that worked in the corporate structure. Never will the Corporate office promote you and partner with you. If you are giving 10 gallons of milk in your cubicle (stall) supporting the customer you will remain there forever, as long as you keep producing. There will be little chance to take on a greater responsibility or higher position. Unless you are hired directly into the corporate office structure, you will never get there through merit or skill. If Serco's contract with a customer ends; forget about any transition to another similar position AND there is no room on the bench, even if there are other job openings.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify key employees that perform and include them in annual performance bonuses and provide them room on the bench if they are in between contracts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunity to work with great clients / customers, management could use some communication and personnel training

ProsAm able to work independently with a customer on government contracts (I'm in IT) on bases around San Diego. Created an opportunity to work with customers and other SERCO employees at different levels which created a unique, diverse, and education work environment. Flexible work schedule.

ConsBit of partisanship when it comes to advancement. No clear path towards advancement, and lack of communication by most, but not all, upper management regarding potential contracts, expiring contracts. No communication from some management at all. Worked with them for many years and some may not know what you do or what you're capable of. Yearly review process needs to be updated to be level with the rest of the industry. Raises are unsubstantial for 4 straight years even with above average reviews. Lack of gender and racial diversity at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more clearly and effectively with all employees. Yes, it's great to know when people receive awards, but it would be great to be informed about upcoming contracts or expiring contracts so we can make long term plans in our personal lives. Understand this may be out of your control, but communicating would help. Create a more open and communicable environment, less of the military structure formality. Counseling or training for employees that are going to be laid off to help them find work in other areas of the company.

Great career path but sequester cut employment opportunities.

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent benefits. Competitive salary. Was allowed to attend paid training. Provided new career and learning opportunities. BEST perk: my corporate supervisor mentored me.

ConsSome managers who were not familiar with benefits gave poor advice causing some subordinates' personal difficulties. (FMLA). Some managers had no management skills that compromised subordinates' success.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll departing employees should have mandatory HR out processing and asked why employee leaving.

Get Experience and Leave

Site Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with great people who wanted to make a difference in-spite of the poor pay. Corporate office help was great as well.

ConsPoor pay, manager was a bully, high turnover due to the lack of value in employees, positions cut from contracts to save money leaving a heavier workload on others.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are making money off of governments, at least treat their people (your employees) with respect and pay them a decent salary. Get rid of bad management and nepotism.

Good start office job.

General Clerk II (Current Employee)

ProsFull benefits, stable work hours, decent pay, help paying for benefits, great as a starting office job. This was my first office job and it gave me a good idea of what office work is like. Much better than waiting tables, which I had done for many years before.

ConsPay is decent, not horrible but not great. Not much cooperative work among coworkers. Very strict about being in seat, working. Very strict about many things. Constant change. Feast and Famine, working steady one minute and the next you're sitting around with nothing to do. Upper management micro-manages lower level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease promote more from within. Not enough communication between upper management, low level management, and employees.

Fair Employer

ProsGreat Benefits and opportunity for gaining training and certifications

ConsPay Considering that they require a masters degree

Very unclear guidelines between what is supposed to mandated and the verbal orders

ProsBeing able to interact with clients and providing them with coaching, guidance and necessary tools for transitioning.

ConsThere is constant confict between the upper management, minimal pay and no growth within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure all employees have clear guidelines. Deal with upper management issues because it affects employee morale.

Solid government contractor

WFL Consultant (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGreat pay and professionals to work with. The application process was very smooth, and the interviewers were incredibly nice and easy to talk with. This contractor has been around for several years and I see no reason why they won't continue to be one the leading contractors to support military and family readiness at all levels.

ConsWish I could've worked from home at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to consider telecommuting one or two days a week. Helps the environment and can really boost moral!

Worked for Serco, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!