www.sci-corp.com

Updated October 26, 2014
2.2

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

• I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Could have been a career!

Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible, office culture

Cons

Greedy, no benefits, no healthcare

Good company, greedy priorities

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked as family service counselor, meeting with families when loss of loved ones. Very gratifying knowing I could make a most difficult time a little easier.

Cons

Company became more sales focused than service focused. "Get 'em while they're down" not good approach

Consider how you would like to be treated at the time of loss of your loved one. Would you want a hard sell approach?? Think not!

Don't waste your time

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Making a difference in someone's life at one of the most stressful times in their life. Gaining skills in compassion, empathy and nurturing. Employees continually provided service that went above what was required.

Cons

Company employs a large amount of part timers with very little pay and benefits. There is always a deadline to meet and there is no additional compensation for working nights and weekends.

Stop focusing on short term profits. Your employees really do care and so should you. Do the right thing by them.

You get the work, they get everything else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good/numerous company gatherings, decent wage

Cons

1) Only managers and up qualify for bonuses
    2) VERY expensive/bad benefits - $150+ every 2 weeks for myself, now I pay $95 per month for both my spouse and myself
    3) Below average 401k plan/matching - I appreciated the fact that they even offered one, but only getting a 3% match (and having to put in 6% to get it), expensive investment options, and a long vesting period put it below average
    4) Honestly, I can't speak for everyone, but they showed absolutely no care or concern for the people in my department....read below

After being told by numerous people that this was not a good company to work for, and reading reviews, I was desperate enough to take the chance. I quickly learned everyone else was correct, and regreted my decision within the first month or so. I found out my department originally consisted of 4 people, so although the work/hours weren't great, they weren't terrible either, or so I was told. When I learned that 3 of the 4 people in my department had quit within a 6 month time frame, I couldn't believe it.

After I was there a couple of weeks learning the ropes, things went downhill. I was regularly working 50-60+ hours. This isn't too surprising because in my field there are times that it is expected, just not all the time. After a few months, I began to get fed up and it began causing problems at home because I was always working. We had a temp that had come in a couple of times (a month or so at a time) to help with some things on the side. After getting bogged down, I asked when she would be coming back, and was told she wouldn't. Keep in mind there are now 2 of us doing the work of 4. I was also told there would be no new hires. At this time I began looking for something else.

So after a period of working 65-70 hours (this was one of those expected times, but usually it's 55-60 hours max), I knew I couldn't continue like this. After a VERY rude email was sent to the 2 of us still there, I began to write my resignation letter. I would have expected this email to show appreciation for all of our hard work and hours we had put in. Nope, instead we were told that the manager would no longer be handling some things, and the responsibility was now ours. It definitely could have been worded better. I responded and proceeded to copy my bosses bosses boss (I forget her title).

My coworker and I went to the head of the department to tell him we were fed up, tired of being treated this way, and expected things to change. He sided with our manager, and the best he could give us was that he would talk to him.

I took my resignation letter my bosses bosses boss, sat and talked with her about the situation for nearly an hour, and after being asked what it would take for me to stay, I told her there was nothing they could do and no amount of money could keep me there. She was very respectful, appreciated me bringing this to her attention, and promised changes would be made. I told her I was very happy to hear that....for my coworkers sake. I didn't want to see her suffer any longer.

My exite interview lasted nearly 2 hours. I explained everything that had happened and told her that my boss was a very knowledgable person, but a terrible manager.

After leaving, a coworker I kept in touch with told me they had brought in 3 contractor's to take my place, and catch up on everything. I'm sure you're aware that contractors are VERY expensive. I would assume they were having to pay them at least twice of what they were paying me. After a few months I got another update.....nobody had come in to interview for the position(s). Not long after that, my coworker quit as well.

I hope a lesson was learned from all of this, but I'm not holding my breath. I definitely learned one.....when numerous people tell you the company is not a good one, they're probably right. Not to mention a very low rating on here.

My opinion....avoid this company at all costs. Thanks for reading my novel.

Do what 90% of other companies do....show appreciation, offer decent benefits, be sure your employees have a work/life balance, listen to your employees, and stop cutting the bottom line just to pay and reward the higher ups that much more. Pass this on to others.

Huge turnover at the entry level position for Family Service Advisors.

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times.

Cons

Huge turnover at all levels in the sales division, and the company just doesn't care. If your in operations, maybe not so bad.

They are beyond help. Still very much an "old boys network".

Cares deeply about customers, but could be better to employees

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It feels good to work at a company where the brand DignityMemorial is more than just words. Families that come in to get funeral and cemetery services for loved ones are treated with respect. The company does expect employees to go the extra mile and the families we serve are always thankful for that. It is emotionally rewarding to help make the worst day of someone's life a little less painful. And when the families thank you for your help, it feels like you have done something important and meaningful.

Cons

If you work at a combo location (cemetery and funeral home) you are expected to work many holidays and often on weekends. Although the opening hours are from 8 - 6, it's easy to get stuck there after hours. Also, if you are working in any sales capacity, you are expected to drive out to people's homes after hours without compensation for your gas. You also are expected to give out your cell phone number and answer clients whenever they call. For all this effort, you can make a decent living, but it is much more challenging than it seams at first. If you are in Family Service, there is a great deal of customer service work that must be performed without compensation. The company see this as opportunities for you to get referrals or sell more to that family, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Re-think some of the tasks of Family Service Counselors. There are some things that could be done by a sales assistant or customer service person. Then they could pass leads on to sales if they uncover opportunities during the customer service event. Also, rotate out the holidays a bit better. Be sure and set the expectations with your new hires. I was told I would work one Saturday a month and occasionally a holiday or Sunday. During my six months at the company, I was generally expected to work four weekend days a month and every holiday except for Father's Day. By setting the expectations better, you may be able to get people who actually have a lifestyle that can accommodate your needs.

Tough company to start with. Straight commission. Comp package is difficult to figure out.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the people. They have a decent comp. plan.

Cons

I felt I was pushing a rock up hill. Management only cared about how much was sold. Made up how many appointments were made so he looked good. Also made us work 7 days a week. Long hours.

Care about people not just the bottom dollar. Consider a base salary. Invest in your people and they will invest in you!!

Very poor management and lousy pay

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the families, directors and other Admins.

Cons

Impossible expectations, little training or support. Only recognized for errors, never for good work. Very low pay scale for work required. Passive Aggressive style of management.

Start appreciating quality employees by recognizing the good things they do and achievements they make. Make the salary more competitive for part-timers since you're not paying out any benefits you can afford to pay more to the staff. Set-up an anonymous review for supervisors by employees. I think you'd be very surprised by what you'd learn.

Contract to Hire, but still contract despite good performance.

Current Employee - Tax Department in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Houston, TX

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Pay isn't bad.

Cons

No set Hire date, and been in limbo for a year now...

Positive learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked my co-workers. A lot of people in my department had been there for years, which speaks to the value of the company's work environment. I worked at the Houston headquarters. There was also a good work/life balance

Cons

Some challenges are the passive agressivness. The managers could be more direct when something is not to their liking

Be more direct. Compensation should be broughto closer to market rate.

Service Corporation International Photos