www.sci-corp.com

Updated December 3, 2014
2.3

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 11 reviews)

• In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Shocked at the poor reviews

Current Employee - Family Service Manager/Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Manager/Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management starting from the top down in my division (Hispana). They not only care about servicing the family before, during and after the services but do it with dignity, honesty and respect. I've been in this industry for over 20 years and wish I would have been with them the full duration.

The other members of management staff, Office Manager, Location Manager, Grounds Superintendent and General Manger are all wonderful individuals that have been with the company for many years. We also have the most caring and experienced Market Director to make it all possible. I'm proud to be part of such a great team. I believe our division and location to be one of SCI's top!

Cons

The only con I can think of off hand is that I wish the 401k contribution from the company was a little higher. They match up to 2.25% but I guess I should be thankful they even have 401k because a lot of companies don't.

Since I manage the Family Service Department I found it disturbing and sad when I read the negative reviews. It sounds like the different divisions are run differently because the division I'm in would never accept the behavior I've read about.

Now it is true that the pay may be low for some individuals working in the family service department. They pay on performance and if you are a low producer you may not earn much more than minimum wage however, high producers can earn $100k, $150k, $200k and higher. You get out what you put into it. If you treat the families you service like they are your own family you can be very successful in this position.

Keep doing what you are doing Hispana Division of SCI

Good company, greedy priorities

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked as family service counselor, meeting with families when loss of loved ones. Very gratifying knowing I could make a most difficult time a little easier.

Cons

Company became more sales focused than service focused. "Get 'em while they're down" not good approach

Consider how you would like to be treated at the time of loss of your loved one. Would you want a hard sell approach?? Think not!

Admjn Asst iii

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly co-workers in corporate office and everyone is willing to help when you have questions.

Cons

tolerate poor work habits and complete lack of a training program for incoming people in sales department

Require a new hire training for all roles in all departments

Great comany to work. Solid, modern and explanding.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Solid company
    Best in the industry

Cons

Did not find one yet.

They are doing things in the right way.

RUN.....and walk away from this company

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

the families you get to work with appreciate you. If you have the heart for this industry, you can make a difference.

Cons

If you have the heart for this industry, DO NOT work for SCI. They offer no training, no support and do not represent their pay structure correctly during the interview process. Most time is spent on activities that will NOT make YOU money (although the company will enjoy the rewards). Management is not at all interested in doing what is right, only what lines their pockets- at a grieving family's expense. No clear direction, or help. HR does NOT exist. IT is a hostile work .environment with belittling and snobby managers who are NEVER in the office. I thought this would be a place to make a difference, but the ethics do not exist and money is the only thing they pay attention to. Find an independent funeral home- - not one connected with SCI. They say that they do not leave columbariums open and unattended- but they do. This is just wrong!

Get rid of the good old boys network- Hire qualified managers who know how to manage people. Care about your employees and treat them well. Provide a decent wage and use incentives to boost productivity. If you want your people to be the face and treat your customers well, it must be modeled by management.

The Devil Takes Your Soul!

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

The training is thorough. The benefits are very good, somewhat expensive for a family of 3.

Cons

The Hours
    The Goals
    The Incentives
    The Management
    The Pay
    The Hours
    The ENDLESS MIND NUMBING Seminars & extra training ON YOU ONLY DAY OFF!

Let people have a life! Do you not know happy employees are better employees!

Could have been a career!

Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible, office culture

Cons

Greedy, no benefits, no healthcare

Don't waste your time

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Making a difference in someone's life at one of the most stressful times in their life. Gaining skills in compassion, empathy and nurturing. Employees continually provided service that went above what was required.

Cons

Company employs a large amount of part timers with very little pay and benefits. There is always a deadline to meet and there is no additional compensation for working nights and weekends.

Stop focusing on short term profits. Your employees really do care and so should you. Do the right thing by them.

Not a place to work if you actually care about people.

Former Employee - Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer in Albion, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer in Albion, MI

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large company, many resources, 401K, schedule kept you close to 40 hours and you actually got your days/weekends off.

Cons

The company is too big, inept management, sales based on profit only--not what is in the best interest of the family. Unprofessional conduct (including illegal activity and unethical behavior) ever-present and allowed by location manager.

Managers should be licensed funeral directors.

Unfair and under paid

Current Employee - Removel Tech in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Removel Tech in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Service Corporation International part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are none and it sucks to work for sci

Cons

The company cares more about sales and rates and bottom lines it never talks about how we treat the familys theres no way to move in ranks plus the pay is the worst and every thing is over controled by the corpreit

Pay the employees more and and help out the people you hire they never truly helped me when I ran into issues I had to take every thing to mangemet

Service Corporation International Photos