Service Corporation International

Updated September 9, 2014
2.2

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 11 reviews)

• You work with families that have a death in the family or are pre-planning for thier own burial (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • makes BIG money, unfortunately no one but upper management sees the big bucks (in 10 reviews)

• I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge turnover at the entry level position for Family Service Advisors.

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times.

Cons

Huge turnover at all levels in the sales division, and the company just doesn't care. If your in operations, maybe not so bad.

They are beyond help. Still very much an "old boys network".

Very poor management and lousy pay

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved working with the families, directors and other Admins.

Cons

Impossible expectations, little training or support. Only recognized for errors, never for good work. Very low pay scale for work required. Passive Aggressive style of management.

Start appreciating quality employees by recognizing the good things they do and achievements they make. Make the salary more competitive for part-timers since you're not paying out any benefits you can afford to pay more to the staff. Set-up an anonymous review for supervisors by employees. I think you'd be very surprised by what you'd learn.

Good Place To Get Experience

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time

Pros

Generally work with nice people.

Cons

No room for growth
    VERY poor pay for the amount of work expected of you.

When you have productive, ambitious employees make sure there's a path for them to advance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cares deeply about customers, but could be better to employees

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time for less than a year

Pros

It feels good to work at a company where the brand DignityMemorial is more than just words. Families that come in to get funeral and cemetery services for loved ones are treated with respect. The company does expect employees to go the extra mile and the families we serve are always thankful for that. It is emotionally rewarding to help make the worst day of someone's life a little less painful. And when the families thank you for your help, it feels like you have done something important and meaningful.

Cons

If you work at a combo location (cemetery and funeral home) you are expected to work many holidays and often on weekends. Although the opening hours are from 8 - 6, it's easy to get stuck there after hours. Also, if you are working in any sales capacity, you are expected to drive out to people's homes after hours without compensation for your gas. You also are expected to give out your cell phone number and answer clients whenever they call. For all this effort, you can make a decent living, but it is much more challenging than it seams at first. If you are in Family Service, there is a great deal of customer service work that must be performed without compensation. The company see this as opportunities for you to get referrals or sell more to that family, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Re-think some of the tasks of Family Service Counselors. There are some things that could be done by a sales assistant or customer service person. Then they could pass leads on to sales if they uncover opportunities during the customer service event. Also, rotate out the holidays a bit better. Be sure and set the expectations with your new hires. I was told I would work one Saturday a month and occasionally a holiday or Sunday. During my six months at the company, I was generally expected to work four weekend days a month and every holiday except for Father's Day. By setting the expectations better, you may be able to get people who actually have a lifestyle that can accommodate your needs.

Tough company to start with. Straight commission. Comp package is difficult to figure out.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the people. They have a decent comp. plan.

Cons

I felt I was pushing a rock up hill. Management only cared about how much was sold. Made up how many appointments were made so he looked good. Also made us work 7 days a week. Long hours.

Care about people not just the bottom dollar. Consider a base salary. Invest in your people and they will invest in you!!

Contract to Hire, but still contract despite good performance.

Current Employee - Tax Department  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Houston, TX

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Pay isn't bad.

Cons

No set Hire date, and been in limbo for a year now...

Boys club

Current Employee - Funeral Director  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Funeral Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

4 weeks vacation and 10 personal days a year. Some management gets company cars. It really depends in who you are though.

Cons

Boys club. No retirement benefits except 401 k. They'd rather you have a degree in hospitality than funeral services.

Promote from within. I see lots of people getting promoted and moved into management that have no business being there. They have huge problems and then promote them even further or move them to another location rather than demoting them. Life is easier if your a problem child.

Former employee

Current Employee - Funeral Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Funeral Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

None that I can think off. Rate of burn out very high.

Cons

Trying to have a family life. Not possible. Divorced while
    working for this company and the reason was worked all the time.

Consider the golden rule. Stop being so money driven a nd start thinking about the way people are treated.

Positive learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked my co-workers. A lot of people in my department had been there for years, which speaks to the value of the company's work environment. I worked at the Houston headquarters. There was also a good work/life balance

Cons

Some challenges are the passive agressivness. The managers could be more direct when something is not to their liking

Be more direct. Compensation should be broughto closer to market rate.

A lot of Favoritism you have the good old boy network

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance very good training focus is on the families they are helping through a hard time.

Cons

Very high turnover in hard to keep sale reps pay structure very hard for them to understand.

Upper management to focus to just hiring to have bodies instead of hiring the right people.

Worked for Service Corporation International? Contribute to the Community!