Service Corporation International Reviews

217 reviews filtered by
2.2
Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 11 reviews)

• In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

Satellite offices are quiet and more able to focus on families

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Ability to help families in need

Cons

Some politics for those that pay attention

Integrity of local company history is very important before bought by SCI

Make the best of it

Current Employee - FSC in Rockledge, FL
    Current Employee - FSC in Rockledge, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

Its a job. Helping People in crisis is rewarding.

Cons

Not what you are lead to believe.

Your most valuable resource is your staff. Treat them with Dignity.

Please read this if your considering employment with us

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a family first company.
    Leader in the industry.
    Amazing money for the right person.
    I would not work for anyone else in the business.

Cons

I'll read these reviews to help me develop into a better sales manager, but most of the reviews are from former employees and there is a reason why they are former employees. 95% of the reviews are former Family Service Counselors(sales). Every negative review would be positive if they followed the training they were given. We provide a lot of great training and if you follow it, you will do very well. SO PLEASE DO NOT LET THESE NEGATIVE PEOPLE POISON YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT AN AMAZING COMPANY. I'm always looking for good people in Broomall, PA.

Keep up the good work

Loved Stewart Enterprises before they got bought out by SCI.

Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Great co-workers, nice locations. Benefits were ok.

Cons

When SCI bought out Stewart in late 2013-early 2014, they changed the company for the worst. They no longer cared about the families as I did as a funeral director/location manager. They changed all of our vendors overnight (caskets, urns, office supplies, etc) without letting us know. So when we went to order urns and caskets for families from the evening before, our orders were denied and managements told us just to call the families back in and let them choose new ones. Clearly they have never met with families as I was not about to ask the grieving mother of a 14 yr old girl that tragically died to come back in and look through a whole new urn and casket catalog. The experience was terrible for her to begin with and I was not going to make her relive that. Then they removed all of our chairs and pews out of the chapel and replaced them with round tables like a wedding reception and told us to now charge families extra for a viewing which should occur in a small side room now and not the chapel. My traditional clientele (about 85%) was very upset but it didn't matter to SCI. They are more concerned about up-selling a family than providing the family with what they want and expect. They changed our contract system overnight with no training on their new system except for a 'buddy' that was supposed to hop around 3-5 chapels and assist us the day of the change. How do you explain to a family that drove in for the day only, from 7hrs away for a 2 hour appt, that I can't do your contract with you today because we don't know how to? Definitely not how I want to handle my business, but was forced to due to their lack of concern about the families we served. The pay was a little low too.

Put yourself in the funeral directors place and better yet the family's shoes. Do you want the whole arrangement process to be one giant sales pitch for your overpriced flowers ($200-$500 more than my previous vendor so SCI can get the kickback), reception packages and room add on fees? I understand you are a business, but families need to come first, not your growing wallets. You are in it for the wrong reasons.

Good work for the right person

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

you get to help people everyday

Cons

long hours, long work weeks, expect to live at the office.

If they only treated their employees as well as the claim to treat the families they serve everyday.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well if you are in the top 10 percent of the company

Cons

The majority of their employees make little money are unappreciated and are expected to use technology without the hardware to accomplish it.

Follow the words that come out of your mouths. Sales Managers who are bosses and fail to manage.Middle Management who have no clue how to manage a lemonade stand much less how to create loyalty. When the average Family Service Counselor lasts 9 months and Sales Manager 3 years, then you are failures as leaders.

• Effectively facilitate multiple training sessions, outline training objectives, goals, and desired outcomes, deliverin

Former Employee - Sales Trainer Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Trainer Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, Company career path, chances to improve and get knowledge on new managing strategies

Cons

The culture is hard to follow. too many middle man.

Watch out for this company!

Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

You will receive training but it is all up to you to implement. Bonuses paid for achieving sales quotas.

Cons

Commission sales stats will vary every few months. High pressure sales tactics are used. So be aware of the "game" to reach quota. Quotas are very high to reach and stressful office situations. Be mindful of other salespeople overreach to gain commission.

Upgrade to PC's for each person. Network is antiquated. Sales commissions high and difficult to achieve. Present compassion!

Operations VS Sales. Ongoing stressful battle between the internal departments. Management too far removed to notice.

Current Employee - Counselor Pre-Need in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Counselor Pre-Need in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

Helping families during time of need is always gratifying. Yet as important as it is to serve your families in this industry, this type of activity does not earn you one penny.

Cons

You have no support. Leadership is very far removed from understanding the difference of what they want accomplished and what realistically can be accomplished when sales people report to a group of operations people with altered directives that make it impossible for them to support your job role in terms of being successful. These leaders outside of sales solely excep sales people to spend time in day doing service related work for families with existing needs, this is not related to pre-need sales at all. Therein lies why quotas become hard to meet, and without sales you end up working for free.

Far too removed to begin to understand the role of how this position operates today! Strongly suggest all market leadership become a counselor in rotation for several weeks tho identify with challenges hindering sales growth and superior customer care.

What have you sold for me lately?

Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in the schedule to come and go as you need to.

Cons

You are expected to work 6 days a week and sometimes more.

Hire managers who care about people and sales people who care about numbers. In practice you have this backwards.

Service Corporation International Photos