www.sci-corp.com

Updated October 19, 2014
2.2

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

• I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Could have been a career!

Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Oakland, CA

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible, office culture

Cons

Greedy, no benefits, no healthcare

Don't waste your time

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Making a difference in someone's life at one of the most stressful times in their life. Gaining skills in compassion, empathy and nurturing. Employees continually provided service that went above what was required.

Cons

Company employs a large amount of part timers with very little pay and benefits. There is always a deadline to meet and there is no additional compensation for working nights and weekends.

Stop focusing on short term profits. Your employees really do care and so should you. Do the right thing by them.

Very poor management and lousy pay

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL

I worked at Service Corporation International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the families, directors and other Admins.

Cons

Impossible expectations, little training or support. Only recognized for errors, never for good work. Very low pay scale for work required. Passive Aggressive style of management.

Start appreciating quality employees by recognizing the good things they do and achievements they make. Make the salary more competitive for part-timers since you're not paying out any benefits you can afford to pay more to the staff. Set-up an anonymous review for supervisors by employees. I think you'd be very surprised by what you'd learn.

Huge turnover at the entry level position for Family Service Advisors.

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times.

Cons

Huge turnover at all levels in the sales division, and the company just doesn't care. If your in operations, maybe not so bad.

They are beyond help. Still very much an "old boys network".

Good Place To Get Experience

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time

Pros

Generally work with nice people.

Cons

No room for growth
    VERY poor pay for the amount of work expected of you.

When you have productive, ambitious employees make sure there's a path for them to advance.

Cares deeply about customers, but could be better to employees

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It feels good to work at a company where the brand DignityMemorial is more than just words. Families that come in to get funeral and cemetery services for loved ones are treated with respect. The company does expect employees to go the extra mile and the families we serve are always thankful for that. It is emotionally rewarding to help make the worst day of someone's life a little less painful. And when the families thank you for your help, it feels like you have done something important and meaningful.

Cons

If you work at a combo location (cemetery and funeral home) you are expected to work many holidays and often on weekends. Although the opening hours are from 8 - 6, it's easy to get stuck there after hours. Also, if you are working in any sales capacity, you are expected to drive out to people's homes after hours without compensation for your gas. You also are expected to give out your cell phone number and answer clients whenever they call. For all this effort, you can make a decent living, but it is much more challenging than it seams at first. If you are in Family Service, there is a great deal of customer service work that must be performed without compensation. The company see this as opportunities for you to get referrals or sell more to that family, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Re-think some of the tasks of Family Service Counselors. There are some things that could be done by a sales assistant or customer service person. Then they could pass leads on to sales if they uncover opportunities during the customer service event. Also, rotate out the holidays a bit better. Be sure and set the expectations with your new hires. I was told I would work one Saturday a month and occasionally a holiday or Sunday. During my six months at the company, I was generally expected to work four weekend days a month and every holiday except for Father's Day. By setting the expectations better, you may be able to get people who actually have a lifestyle that can accommodate your needs.

Tough company to start with. Straight commission. Comp package is difficult to figure out.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the people. They have a decent comp. plan.

Cons

I felt I was pushing a rock up hill. Management only cared about how much was sold. Made up how many appointments were made so he looked good. Also made us work 7 days a week. Long hours.

Care about people not just the bottom dollar. Consider a base salary. Invest in your people and they will invest in you!!

Boys club

Current Employee - Funeral Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Funeral Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

4 weeks vacation and 10 personal days a year. Some management gets company cars. It really depends in who you are though.

Cons

Boys club. No retirement benefits except 401 k. They'd rather you have a degree in hospitality than funeral services.

Promote from within. I see lots of people getting promoted and moved into management that have no business being there. They have huge problems and then promote them even further or move them to another location rather than demoting them. Life is easier if your a problem child.

Contract to Hire, but still contract despite good performance.

Current Employee - Tax Department in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Houston, TX

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Pay isn't bad.

Cons

No set Hire date, and been in limbo for a year now...

Former employee

Current Employee - Funeral Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Funeral Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

None that I can think off. Rate of burn out very high.

Cons

Trying to have a family life. Not possible. Divorced while
    working for this company and the reason was worked all the time.

Consider the golden rule. Stop being so money driven a nd start thinking about the way people are treated.

Service Corporation International Photos