www.sci-corp.com

Updated February 25, 2015
2.3

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 11 reviews)

• In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Please read this if your considering employment with us

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a family first company.
    Leader in the industry.
    Amazing money for the right person.
    I would not work for anyone else in the business.

Cons

I'll read these reviews to help me develop into a better sales manager, but most of the reviews are from former employees and there is a reason why they are former employees. 95% of the reviews are former Family Service Counselors(sales). Every negative review would be positive if they followed the training they were given. We provide a lot of great training and if you follow it, you will do very well. SO PLEASE DO NOT LET THESE NEGATIVE PEOPLE POISON YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT AN AMAZING COMPANY. I'm always looking for good people in Broomall, PA.

Keep up the good work

• Effectively facilitate multiple training sessions, outline training objectives, goals, and desired outcomes, deliverin

Former Employee - Sales Trainer Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Trainer Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, Company career path, chances to improve and get knowledge on new managing strategies

Cons

The culture is hard to follow. too many middle man.

Good work for the right person

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

you get to help people everyday

Cons

long hours, long work weeks, expect to live at the office.

Watch out for this company!

Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

You will receive training but it is all up to you to implement. Bonuses paid for achieving sales quotas.

Cons

Commission sales stats will vary every few months. High pressure sales tactics are used. So be aware of the "game" to reach quota. Quotas are very high to reach and stressful office situations. Be mindful of other salespeople overreach to gain commission.

Upgrade to PC's for each person. Network is antiquated. Sales commissions high and difficult to achieve. Present compassion!

What have you sold for me lately?

Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in the schedule to come and go as you need to.

Cons

You are expected to work 6 days a week and sometimes more.

Hire managers who care about people and sales people who care about numbers. In practice you have this backwards.

Funeral Industry needs to remain independent family owned

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

There are none. The company lacks scruples and if you are a robot its the company for you..

Cons

The company is to large and is a continuous revolving door. I went back as a part time employee and was in shock at how bad it is. This very personalize business is being ran into the ground by SCI. To large to oversee and they don't pay funeral directors or any of the working people much money. Sure you have to make money but its shameful and I to will be leaving company shortly.. They have multiple increases on everything during the year and continue to gobble up any cemetery they can. They should be stopped by regulations but you know how that goes. I wish the independents well because we need them more than ever...

This is the death industry and treat it as such. Consider selling many of your homes and getting off the stock market.

Noble Career+Excellent Pay= Rewarding Career

Current Employee - Market Sales Director
    Current Employee - Market Sales Director

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very caring leadership, able to serve and protect families. Sales culture is growing and the company is investing heavily in training and resources.

Cons

Work long hours and high expectations. This company is not for anyone expecting to punch a clock and just get by.

Continue to invest in your biggest asset: your people.

Operations VS Sales. Ongoing stressful battle between the internal departments. Management too far removed to notice.

Current Employee - Counselor Pre-Need in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Counselor Pre-Need in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

Helping families during time of need is always gratifying. Yet as important as it is to serve your families in this industry, this type of activity does not earn you one penny.

Cons

You have no support. Leadership is very far removed from understanding the difference of what they want accomplished and what realistically can be accomplished when sales people report to a group of operations people with altered directives that make it impossible for them to support your job role in terms of being successful. These leaders outside of sales solely excep sales people to spend time in day doing service related work for families with existing needs, this is not related to pre-need sales at all. Therein lies why quotas become hard to meet, and without sales you end up working for free.

Far too removed to begin to understand the role of how this position operates today! Strongly suggest all market leadership become a counselor in rotation for several weeks tho identify with challenges hindering sales growth and superior customer care.

Family Service Counselor

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

Cannot speak for all locations, but Valley Forge Memorial Garden in P.A is "the location". You are treated with respect and dignity. The manager Peter Pakuris is awesome!

Cons

Must generate your own leads. Commission based. Public speaking is involved

RUN AWAY FAST! DO NOT LOOK BACK!

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Close bond with co-workers... as what typically happens when a group of people struggle to survive a disaster together. Got to assist some wonderful families, and was able to build relationships I have carried forward.

Cons

This place is horrible! Employees are not supported financially, professionally or ethically. Local management is terrified of corporate management.. It is not uncommon to hear corporate management yelling over a speaker phone. Local managers frequently walk around pouting with eyes to the ground after a corporate management call. Threats regarding sales performance. Everything, EVERYTHING is counter-productive. Positive reviews on Glassdoor are likely from managers that were directed to post them. Turnover runs rampant. Many people have had to quit due to health issues related to the stress of this place.

Can you not see what is happening here? I can only hope that the Ghosts of Christmas past, present and future visit you and open your eyes to this insane situation.

Service Corporation International Photos