www.sci-corp.com

Updated October 19, 2014
2.2

Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

• I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Client Focused Company

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Truly focused on serving families at a time of need. Very rewarding to be able to help so many at a time of great need. You feel very appreciated for what you do.

Cons

Merger acquisitions can be challenging.

Market management provides a daily example of both customer and staff focus, which creates an enjoyable work environment. They have an open door policy that allows for great communication. Keep up the good work.

I had a great experience working for SCI as a funeral director.

Current Employee - Funeral Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Funeral Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Encouraged to be innovative and exceed client families' expectations. A lot of flexibility and support from management to create meaningful and individualized services for client families. Customer satisfaction was always the top priority. Recognized and received bonuses for high JD Power Customer Satisfaction scores. Occasionally received bonuses for high sales but never felt pressure to push anything on client families. The location I worked at had a great staff and we began every day with a morning meeting. As a result, each member of the staff knew what was on the schedule for that day, who was responsible for what and a brief idea of what was being planned with each client family. This put everyone on the same page, ensured a balanced workload, minimized any room for error and built morale. Required continued education courses. Provided "aftercare" for client families.

Cons

Funeral directors and staff have no control over pricing of services and merchandise. Occasionally upper management would consult with funeral directors about what was selling, what was not and why but it wouldn't go any further than that. Changes would still be made regardless of the feedback given. I was fortunate enough to work at a really terrific funeral home with a communicative, cohesive staff that got along and had the same goals and vision. The workload was dispersed evenly and no one was ever overworked. Not all locations are like that. It really depends on where you work and who you work with. Like any business, SCI likes to keep overtime to a minimum which is frustrating when you have multiple families and can't quite get everything done in an 8 hour work day. The funeral directors are dependent on an entirely different staff at the Care Center for the embalming, appearance and arrival of the deceased.

This is more for upper management (e.g. market director): listen to - and more importantly implement - the feedback received from your staff. As the direct person of contact to the client families, the funeral directors understand what customers are looking for, what they value and what they are satisfied with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SCI is a great place to work, the people are friendly and reasonable, and company has a strong growth trajectory

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management has a strong strategic vision that is well publicized and followed, the people are reasonable, the hours are short, and people are promoted frequently

Cons

Pay is on the lower end of the scale--particularly for entry level "business" positions

I have had the best experience at my internship at Service Corporation International.

Current Employee - Corporate Communications in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Communications in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

SCI has a great work environment and really cares about its employees and client families. Everyone here is very compassionate and love their jobs. The work/life balance is wonderful and they do a lot of fundraising to help charities such as the American Diabetes Association.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative about this company.

Keep up the good work!

Incredible company that believes what it presents.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great potential for income and career growth.

Cons

As with most companies, politics can be a problem.

Listen to the people who work in the day to day operations of the company.

More than I Ever Could have Imagined

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time

Pros

Upper Management is fantastic in my area although I have had many long weeks it never goes unappreciated by anyone in upper management

Cons

the hours can be very long and you must learn to tune yourself out at some point after work...if not the job gets you...at least in my case....you have to take care of yourself first but this is not a con of the company

The only work place I've known that felt like a real family.

Former Employee - Website Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Website Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this place. I truly grew to love all my coworkers and manager like a real family. I never dreaded going into work, even if the work was at times stressful. I honestly loved my work here and would recommend anyone that is interested in working with SCI to do it. I truly miss working with my team and still remain friends with all of them to this day.

Cons

There is not a single bad thing I can say about Service Corporation International.

Keep doing what you're doing JB! You're a true leader and not just a typical "boss".

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to be there to assist with helping counsel and assist families go through the pain of lost a love one

Cons

Watching families go through the grief process and pain of the loss of their love one can be difficult

As a Sales Manager, educating customers the importance to be financially prepared for the loss of a love by purchasing th necessary packages for a funeral. assisting my sales team through coaching, mentoring, monitoring their daily performances.to meet their quota, takes staying focused at all times.

Great Company

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compassionate, Caring and dedicated to treating employees and client families with the utmost respect and dignity

Cons

nothing bad about this company

Increase paid time off.

SCI Is Made Up of Great People Who Work to Make Lives Better

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

SCI is a company aimed at making lives better. The people who work for the company, especially those in the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries), are compassionate and provide good feedback on services provided. I didn't realize when I took the job with SCI that I would consistently receive good feedback from my peers and my internal customers (field associates). I also believe my ethics are upheld by this corporation, not only through the company's core values, but through our practice and messaging.

Cons

Communication within the company could be improved (ie, structure, resources, etc). I am still a bit confused as to how the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries) is structured. The intranet is useful but difficult to use. I don't use most of the links and applications within the intranet because they are not described well on their landing pages and/or I don't know where to find what I am looking for.

Communicate how the company is structured and what resources are available internally to new hires. Create a guide to the company's intranet that is easily found on the intranet's homepage. Rename markets to better reflect the geographic regions they represent. The arbitrary names are difficult to discern to corporate associates or associates in other markets in other states.

Service Corporation International Photos