Service Corporation International Reviews

217 reviews filtered by
2.2
Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Truly focused on serving families at a time of need (in 13 reviews)

• Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told the job was a base salary of minimum wage plus commissions (in 11 reviews)

• In the field, long hours, holidays have to be covered, a lot of detail which can make for stress (in 10 reviews)

Make the best of it

Current Employee - FSC in Rockledge, FL
    Current Employee - FSC in Rockledge, FL

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

Its a job. Helping People in crisis is rewarding.

Cons

Not what you are lead to believe.

Your most valuable resource is your staff. Treat them with Dignity.

Satellite offices are quiet and more able to focus on families

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Ability to help families in need

Cons

Some politics for those that pay attention

Integrity of local company history is very important before bought by SCI

Loved Stewart Enterprises before they got bought out by SCI.

Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

Great co-workers, nice locations. Benefits were ok.

Cons

When SCI bought out Stewart in late 2013-early 2014, they changed the company for the worst. They no longer cared about the families as I did as a funeral director/location manager. They changed all of our vendors overnight (caskets, urns, office supplies, etc) without letting us know. So when we went to order urns and caskets for families from the evening before, our orders were denied and managements told us just to call the families back in and let them choose new ones. Clearly they have never met with families as I was not about to ask the grieving mother of a 14 yr old girl that tragically died to come back in and look through a whole new urn and casket catalog. The experience was terrible for her to begin with and I was not going to make her relive that. Then they removed all of our chairs and pews out of the chapel and replaced them with round tables like a wedding reception and told us to now charge families extra for a viewing which should occur in a small side room now and not the chapel. My traditional clientele (about 85%) was very upset but it didn't matter to SCI. They are more concerned about up-selling a family than providing the family with what they want and expect. They changed our contract system overnight with no training on their new system except for a 'buddy' that was supposed to hop around 3-5 chapels and assist us the day of the change. How do you explain to a family that drove in for the day only, from 7hrs away for a 2 hour appt, that I can't do your contract with you today because we don't know how to? Definitely not how I want to handle my business, but was forced to due to their lack of concern about the families we served. The pay was a little low too.

Put yourself in the funeral directors place and better yet the family's shoes. Do you want the whole arrangement process to be one giant sales pitch for your overpriced flowers ($200-$500 more than my previous vendor so SCI can get the kickback), reception packages and room add on fees? I understand you are a business, but families need to come first, not your growing wallets. You are in it for the wrong reasons.

If you are seriously considering working for this company please read the following it will help.

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, and helping families during their darkest hours. I don't think I've ever given out more hugs in my life then I did at this job to complete strangers.

Cons

First off if this company offers you a position as a family service counselor in a funeral home there might be a slight advantage. However, if you are offered a position in a cemetery office as a family service counselor be aware that you have been forewarned. My experience with the lack of leadership, the lack of training, horrible coworkers (except for a handful of individuals) and the lack of organizational structure in identifying the duties of this position were in a word disastrous. You will be overworked and underpaid, in a cemetery office there is too much activity for a person in a sales position to prospect, this is a commission based position and you are tending to customer service needs which take up too much of your time. The effort that one needs to put in to make sales and to go unpaid for the customer service that was provided is unethical and unbecoming of a so-called fortune 500 company. I have never worked for corporation that is so unorganized and unethical with their training and business practices like this one. My advice to anyone seeking employment here is too seek somewhere else or be ready to be set up for failure and disappointment.

None. The level of ego that was displayed during my time here will fall on deaf ears. I wish this corporation the very best of luck with its horrible business practices that it shows towards is workforce.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Death business is an interesting business. You meet a lot of people from all walks of life.

Cons

No compensation or support. I'm speaking to the sales departments, no funeral directors or administration, I can't speak to those positions accruately. Regarding 'Family Service' / Sales. Run, don't walk away from this company! Read the other reviews, they all have the same refrain. Lots of non-compensated work activities, complicated compensation plan (smoke and mirrors), long hours, weekends and holidays. The higher ups will go on and on about how much money you can make and how much THEY made doing Family Service. What they don't tell you is that when THEY did it, it was done MUCH differently, AND the compensation plan was good back then! Ask about the longevity of Family Service department members and even sales managers, you'll find an inordinate rate of attrition. There are reasons for that!! I was a Sales Mgr, the compensation for Family Service got so bad, and the non-revenue generating activities became so prominent, that I finally gave up the ghost! Have some self respect, do not work for this company.

Doesn't matter. They don't care. They are only riding the money wave, raping the company of whatever they can get. One day they'll walk away with their money bags weighing them down and leave the wreackage of what could have been a great company, burning in the background.

If they only treated their employees as well as the claim to treat the families they serve everyday.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well if you are in the top 10 percent of the company

Cons

The majority of their employees make little money are unappreciated and are expected to use technology without the hardware to accomplish it.

Follow the words that come out of your mouths. Sales Managers who are bosses and fail to manage.Middle Management who have no clue how to manage a lemonade stand much less how to create loyalty. When the average Family Service Counselor lasts 9 months and Sales Manager 3 years, then you are failures as leaders.

Great opportunity for those with no self respect!

Current Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Service Corporation International

Pros

There are some great people. Training's are usually very good. The ideas, goals and marketing support is great.

Cons

Increase revenue by decreasing spending, good in theory not in practice. Save a buck at all costs. Safety of employees of little or no concern, no regard for employees as human beings with a life outside of work. They do not pay a living wage for the work that is done. If you're a member of the "old boys club" you can earn a decent wage without doing too much. If you're not you will wind up doing all of the work while the "old boys" take the credit. Believe every single negative review. These former employees are just that for a reason and it's not because they didn't follow the training. It's because they're probably much smarter than the average "sales manager".

Hire someone with an MBA to manage.

Don't waste your time here. It is a dead end prospect, at best.

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

decent benefits. Good patking garage, central location,

Cons

Long hours with no access to real food, unless you leave office and return. Many 8pm nights and a lot of midnight hours. Overly critical management in some cases and in others, they don't celebrate diversity in work style. Dragon Lady Manager chews you up and spits you out! I was so stressed out, I had a nervous breakdown. I still have anxiety dreams about this place. It made me actually appreciate my other previous jobs. This company has been running in this mannet since before 1998. beware.

management has a few good people. The remainder need to be sifted out. Complete overhaul.

Family Service Counselor

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor

Pros

Helping Families in very sad times, Friendly co-workers, Grateful families.

Cons

Base pay does not exist. They lie about compensation and classify non-exempt employees as exempt in order to not pay overtime which is required. NO breaks or lunch periods on duty days. This company has figured out a way to bring back slavery for shareholder's benefit. They only care about money for managers, Corp officers fly in private jets while staff has to take brown bag lunch to survive. This place is a nightmare. People take up smoking so they can take a break. Commission structure needs serious adjustment. They make you feel guilty if you take one day off. Too many redundant meetings taking your time away from SELLING. DO not even consider working for these monsters.

Get into 21st century with computers and technology resources, Copiers, printers for staff. Give sales people laptops so they can actually get work done. Marketing and advertising do wonders to get qualified leads. Hire customer service people to do mounds of paperwork to free up sales team to SELL.

Watch out for this company!

Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Insurance Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Service Corporation International

Pros

You will receive training but it is all up to you to implement. Bonuses paid for achieving sales quotas.

Cons

Commission sales stats will vary every few months. High pressure sales tactics are used. So be aware of the "game" to reach quota. Quotas are very high to reach and stressful office situations. Be mindful of other salespeople overreach to gain commission.

Upgrade to PC's for each person. Network is antiquated. Sales commissions high and difficult to achieve. Present compassion!

Service Corporation International Photos