Service Credit Union Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

3.7

Gordon Simmons

It was a great company to work for!

Former Employee - Loan Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Loan Service Representative II

I worked at Service Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great incentive opportunities, good benefits, they promote from within. There was a lot of opportunity for learning new skills and cross-training was a priority. They serve the military community.

Cons

The company itself was great. The upper management left something to be desired as far as employee appreciation was concerned. But where they were lacking, mid-level management made up for it.

Continue to show your employees that they are appreciated. Continue to offer bonuses and incentives for your employees.

Contact Center Representative

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative  in  Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Rochester, NH

I worked at Service Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ok pay and benefits.

Cons

Required a certain dress code/uniform and were always late ordering shirts for employees. Call center environment was not right for me. Many useless management positions that seemed there just to micromanage. No input into implementing any changes. Felt very replaceable.

Get rid of extra management positions. Work a shift dealing with screaming members with zero support from supervisors to understand what the job is like.

Growth and professional development selectively limited.

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Service Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling in certain departments, decent hourly rates, good benefits package, clean and organized work environment, nice facilities, employee gym on-site at corporate headquarters.

Cons

Due to high turnover in specific departments upper management has a need to maintain employees where they are and this limits personal growth and development within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, training needs A LOT of work.

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative

I worked at Service Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

99% of the people you work with are absolutely amazing.
    I worked at an "in-store' location was amazing. Yes, you have to work some weekends- BUT a majority of the managers I have had worked very hard to make sure there was a rotating schedule so that people only had to work one weekend a month. I loved working with a majority of my members, and I seemed to come home (3/4 of the time) with a huge smile on my face because of my interactions.
    It seems like right when you feel like your under appreciated for completing the loads of hard work, you get an award or a bonus.

Cons

EXTREMELY micro managed. Extremely. You can have outstanding work ethic and get numerous amounts of comments cards praising your help and happy attitude, and you never get recognition, but the second you do something "wrong" like being off on your drawer by $.50, and later finding it- you get into serious trouble, sometimes written up.
    The training program needs some SERIOUS work. You basically read a few slide shows, take a couple tests, and if you work at an in-store location or traditional branch, get thrown to the wolves. After about 3 days of reading for 8-10 hours straight, and taking tests they give you a drawer with $25,000 and wish you the best of luck. The good thing is that all of your peers have been through this and understand the level of frustration that comes with this, so they're amazing at teaching you new things and being supportive- the downside to that is each person is taught 5-10 different ways to perform a command, so doing basic transactions can get extremely confusing and frustrating, and at times you get in trouble for doing something "the wrong way", when it was taught to you by a supervisor or manager. They're working on some training programs to help you learn more about products, but to be honest they're poorly run and a waste of your time. You need to have at least 1-2 weeks of training where they have you go to the new million dollar corporation and set up a station where you can do hands on work and learn commands, and more about the products. I mean if they have more than $1.8 BILLION in assets, they can afford a quick little training for employees who will be dealing with millions of dollars.

Stop gloating about all of the success of upper management (yes, some deserve it), and try to give a high five, fist pump or some kind of acknowledgement for the lower men on the totem pole. Teaching yourself (because, lets be honest- there is NO training program) about IRA's and the millions of services SCU provides, while giving 110% to members is hard work, and not being recognized for the effort put in to do the best you can do without the support you deserve feels impossible, and miserable.

Great

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Service Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a great place to work. Good management teams. The company awards the representative with enough flexibility in fees, ect. so they can successfully serve the member.

Cons

The vacation was very minimal. It was only 5 days a year for PT. The company also does not allow leave without pay.

The company should allow more flexibility for vacation, even if it has to be Leave without pay.

I have definitely taken something away from this job...both good and bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NH

I have been working at Service Credit Union

Pros

The benefits and job security are a plus

Cons

Employee opinions are not heard unless you are in corporate or management.

Corporate Office US

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Service Credit Union

Pros

Annual end of year profit sharing bonus was really nice.
    Periods of a well functioning department when it was not busy
    Education benefits are very helpful
    Pays ok for a nonprofit institution

Cons

Senior management has a poor concept of time management frequently puts off work submitted until hours before the deadline and expects you to do what ever it takes to make all the requested changes an hour before it was to be submitted to a third party for completion

Company has its own sense of reality does not solicit ideas from its employee base or outside assistance before making strategic plans

Has a very reactionary approach to development nothing is planned and followed through consistently. Projects come into and fall out of focus within minutes of each other, once managment has you work on something they consider it as done and dont bother asking what the status is before they ask you to get involved on another project

Listen to your work force and offer them some acknowledgement as professionals. Not just hired help. they are essential to day to day operations and should be treated as such and not be restricted from public view. Should not appear to give the impression of being embarrassed by your workforce so you dont let them out in public

great place to work and great pay

I have been working at Service Credit Union

Pros

It was a very flexible job that promoted employee empowerment as well as motivating thier employees to continue thier career within the credit union my promoting in branch promotions.

Cons

there was not a lot of vacation time. Promotions were seemingly based on personal preference. thoose doing yearly evalutations should be pay closer attention to employees.

more vacation time should be allowed per year and yearly evals should be done with a supervisor not by the manager.

Best place I've ever worked at

Current Employee - Member Service Supervisor  in  Ramstein (Germany)
    Current Employee - Member Service Supervisor in Ramstein (Germany)

I have been working at Service Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

They really care about their employees, they want to hear your input, room for growth, decent pay, huge bonuses! They will also give you in the spot bonuses for excellent customer service. You learn so much, so fast here!

Cons

I worked at a branch that was open 7 days a week so the hours weren't good, but most branches do not have these hours. The discounts they provide on loans are not much.

Promoted quickly due to PCS'ing staff constantly

Current Employee - Loan Officer  in  Ramstein (Germany)
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Ramstein (Germany)

I have been working at Service Credit Union

Pros

Hours are flexible. Management is great in giving you the power to make good choices for the credit union.

Cons

Senior Management is horrendous. They want to know what you are dissatisfied with while you are working there (taking survey's) but when you give your frustrations, all SENIOR management does is make excuses why things cannot be changed.

Branch leadership is good. More praise for all of the hard work we do would be greatly appreciated and I think the staff would truly appreciate it.

Worked for Service Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!