Service Express

www.seiservice.com

Service Express Reviews

2.6

Ron Alvesteffer

Great company culture and work environment

I worked at Service Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Goals are shared with managers on a monthly basis (it was good to know that managers actually cared about your professional and personal life)
    Career advancement opportunities
    Many company events and social outings
    Managers allowed job shadowing within departments to get a better understanding of company as a whole
    Office visits outside of your local area are encouraged
    Great company culture
    Very friendly and open work environment
    Everyone is eager to help with any problem

Cons

Lack of communication within management
    Being micromanaged within my specific department was a concern

There should be a better process for communication of company news/updates between management down through teams

My career would have been better if I had listened to my gut and passed on SEI employment

Former Employee - Field Service  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Field Service in Detroit, MI

I worked at Service Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance was fair until SEI doubled stand by time without pay.

Cons

Lots of promises made during recruitment phase, which is way too long ( red flag), in reality very few became reality. In fact a lot of promises were down right lies, on the service side.

Talk of vision is just that, when the CEO isn't around. If you are over 45, a female or minority, don't expect your effort to be appreciated, especially in Detroit!

You don't value your service people, your customers do. This will cause your top performers to slip away when the shine wears off, regardless of how hard you clamp down on them. If anyone asks me about SEI, and people have, I say don't expect more than two years, before you have to make a break for it. Your management in Detroit blows!

Good place for short term

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Service Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good base salary. Good place to break into IT sales without much technical knowledge. Service people tend to deliver what sales promises, so you can sell with confidence.

Cons

Tend to Hire too many sales people than territory can support. Increasing turnover of sales people. Very little training and no support once you are in the field. Several managers were good sales people 10 years ago but now do little to support their reps other than request more reports. Never ending reports on activity. I have never had less support from a manager than what I have had here. Sales managers seem to have life time job security.
    Mentality is there will always be a need for the service they provide when in reality it is greatly diminishing. They have adjusted in the past to such changes but their current pace is not keeping up with the pace of change in the industry today.

I have walked away from very engaged meetings where I could not offer support for the opportunity... Can you keep up with the pace of change?
    Hold your sales managers accountable. Reps keep leaving and/or underperforming, it may be a management issue.
    I know our focus is on what we are good at but it seems that those opportunities are diminishing. It seems that servers are becoming as disposable as cell phones and laptops... after 3 yrs, replace the hardware.
    Consider why you are adding reps to a territory that is flat or had little growth. Is it really a personnel issue or an opportunity issue?
    My manager sees the writing on the wall that my territory will most likely not support my being on board for much longer but he cannot look me in the eye and tell me the truth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too Good to Be True

I worked at Service Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good work/life balance
    -Descent base salary
    -Good financial/company standing.

Cons

-You are expected to go on 25 first meetings a month. Even if a company does not fit in the criteria needed to do business with you still need to go on face to face meeting for them to personally tell you that.
    -Instead of training and coaching to success you are told to just make more phone calls. If 100 phone calls isn't enough then you should be making 125 a day. Then 150 a day. If you have 30 companies in your territory that could be a good fit then call them 4 times a day. If that does not work then call them 6 times a day.
    -The company focuses on hardware maintenance. Everything slse is a hit or miss depending on what they feel they can accomplish. You don't know the other possibilities until long after you needed them. Communication of capabilities is not at the forefront.
    -The culture of the company is only upheld at the headquarters. Management does not practice it outside of the CEO's range. They only want people who will drink the coolaide and be just like them.
    -You are only paid on new business. You have to put the effort in for the renewals, but get nothing for it.
    -The sales techniques and presentations are the same ones used 15 years ago. They do not work anymore, but they will tell you time after time that they do and you are expected to learn and repeat it.

A sales rockstar will not always be a good manager. Proof is in the pudding when one sales manager cycles through so many sales reps.

Okay place to work for the short term

I worked at Service Express

Pros

Pay is okay. They are somewhat liberal with time off requests. They foster a culture of communication within the lower ranks of the employees. They communicate company financials so you always know where the company stands. Their service department is first rate and as a sales rep you always know they will do what they say they will do for the client.

Cons

They have mass quantities of paperwork that sometimes repeats itself. They believe that "Activity" is more important that sales results. You have to maintain 25 first meetings per month regardless of meeting quota or not. The reps have to be as equally focused on renewals, which you are not compensated on as you are new business and that can be as time consuming as new business. They micromanage your results in that they make you track your own progress but don't offer any help when the rep is struggling. They over staff their offices in markets that can't support the number of sales people for the area.

They should look at the totality of one's career with them and take into consideration their direct managers inability to manage before replacing reps. When a manager loses several good reps in a short period of time, that is a refection on management, not the reps. Also, they need to develop a managers training program for the sales managers before they give them that responsibility. Not all great sales people are cut out to be good managers.

Worked for Service Express? Contribute to the Community!