Service Express

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

Ron Alvesteffer

Middle Management

I have been working at Service Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. People first culture. Fair compensation. Sense of appreciation and value. Great teams, both front line and leadership. Growing company in a stable field. Team members have an opinion in future teammates.

Cons

No cons. Success here is based off of the work you put in. It's not easy as we continue to grow and achieve our goals, it's just better.

Leadership training is appreciated and valued. Continue to hold your team's to high standards.

Great culture at a growing company

I have been working at Service Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Service Express is the best company I have ever worked for. The company is founded on helping employees achieve personal, professional and financial goals. They recognize that when people are able to achieve their goals and are engaged that they will do great work and take care of customers. We believe in working hard, having fun and getting great results.

Opportunity is everywhere in this growing company. The pace of change is fast but logical and controlled. For a motivated, talented person this is an environment that challenges you to grow and stretch beyond your comfort zone. Employees are encouraged to follow their passion and try new ways to solve problems. The leadership team knows that people doing what they love on a daily basis will yield great results.

SEI puts people first. Time off is never a problem and is encouraged.

Cons

Hard to find dramatic cons. SEI is a challenging place to work. It is not for everyone. You are accountable to produce results. If you want a job that allows you to coast or not develop this is not the place for you.

Continue to develop leaders. Senior leaders must continue to stay in touch with the front line employees. The feedback they have will help us grow and improve as the company changes. Protect the culture we have built as we expand. Continue to improve communication to the company as we grow.

Growing Pains

I worked at Service Express full-time

Pros

The culture has always been employee first. They preach & teach professional & personal development. The compensation is fair. The work life balance is excellent. I've never been and didn't know of anyone who was ever turned down for vacation time or to leave early for a family event.

Cons

Things have started to shift in the culture from open communication to confused communication. Many of the front line and middle management employees weren't sure who to report to or were told to report to multiple people. People are being promoted based on their friendships with the executives as opposed to actual achievement. SEI is being viewed by many employees as becoming an "HR state". Things are much more tight lipped than they used to be.

Get back to the SEI way! You are losing the confidence of many of your top front line & management performers. Over communicate changes and updates. I believe that they are growing through some growing pains and will fight through it once they realize who is not a fit for leadership in certain positions.

My career would have been better if I had listened to my gut and passed on SEI employment

Former Employee - Field Service in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Field Service in Detroit, MI

I worked at Service Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance was fair until SEI doubled stand by time without pay.

Cons

Lots of promises made during recruitment phase, which is way too long ( red flag), in reality very few became reality. In fact a lot of promises were down right lies, on the service side.

Talk of vision is just that, when the CEO isn't around. If you are over 45, a female or minority, don't expect your effort to be appreciated, especially in Detroit!

You don't value your service people, your customers do. This will cause your top performers to slip away when the shine wears off, regardless of how hard you clamp down on them. If anyone asks me about SEI, and people have, I say don't expect more than two years, before you have to make a break for it. Your management in Detroit blows!

Good place for short term

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Service Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good base salary. Good place to break into IT sales without much technical knowledge. Service people tend to deliver what sales promises, so you can sell with confidence.

Cons

Tend to Hire too many sales people than territory can support. Increasing turnover of sales people. Very little training and no support once you are in the field. Several managers were good sales people 10 years ago but now do little to support their reps other than request more reports. Never ending reports on activity. I have never had less support from a manager than what I have had here. Sales managers seem to have life time job security.
    Mentality is there will always be a need for the service they provide when in reality it is greatly diminishing. They have adjusted in the past to such changes but their current pace is not keeping up with the pace of change in the industry today.

I have walked away from very engaged meetings where I could not offer support for the opportunity... Can you keep up with the pace of change?
    Hold your sales managers accountable. Reps keep leaving and/or underperforming, it may be a management issue.
    I know our focus is on what we are good at but it seems that those opportunities are diminishing. It seems that servers are becoming as disposable as cell phones and laptops... after 3 yrs, replace the hardware.
    Consider why you are adding reps to a territory that is flat or had little growth. Is it really a personnel issue or an opportunity issue?
    My manager sees the writing on the wall that my territory will most likely not support my being on board for much longer but he cannot look me in the eye and tell me the truth.

Great company culture and work environment

I worked at Service Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Goals are shared with managers on a monthly basis (it was good to know that managers actually cared about your professional and personal life)
    Career advancement opportunities
    Many company events and social outings
    Managers allowed job shadowing within departments to get a better understanding of company as a whole
    Office visits outside of your local area are encouraged
    Great company culture
    Very friendly and open work environment
    Everyone is eager to help with any problem

Cons

Lack of communication within management
    Being micromanaged within my specific department was a concern

There should be a better process for communication of company news/updates between management down through teams

Too Good to Be True

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Service Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good work/life balance
    -Descent base salary
    -Good financial/company standing.

Cons

-You are expected to go on 25 first meetings a month. Even if a company does not fit in the criteria needed to do business with you still need to go on face to face meeting for them to personally tell you that.
    -Instead of training and coaching to success you are told to just make more phone calls. If 100 phone calls isn't enough then you should be making 125 a day. Then 150 a day. If you have 30 companies in your territory that could be a good fit then call them 4 times a day. If that does not work then call them 6 times a day.
    -The company focuses on hardware maintenance. Everything slse is a hit or miss depending on what they feel they can accomplish. You don't know the other possibilities until long after you needed them. Communication of capabilities is not at the forefront.
    -The culture of the company is only upheld at the headquarters. Management does not practice it outside of the CEO's range. They only want people who will drink the coolaide and be just like them.
    -You are only paid on new business. You have to put the effort in for the renewals, but get nothing for it.
    -The sales techniques and presentations are the same ones used 15 years ago. They do not work anymore, but they will tell you time after time that they do and you are expected to learn and repeat it.

A sales rockstar will not always be a good manager. Proof is in the pudding when one sales manager cycles through so many sales reps.

Okay place to work for the short term

I worked at Service Express

Pros

Pay is okay. They are somewhat liberal with time off requests. They foster a culture of communication within the lower ranks of the employees. They communicate company financials so you always know where the company stands. Their service department is first rate and as a sales rep you always know they will do what they say they will do for the client.

Cons

They have mass quantities of paperwork that sometimes repeats itself. They believe that "Activity" is more important that sales results. You have to maintain 25 first meetings per month regardless of meeting quota or not. The reps have to be as equally focused on renewals, which you are not compensated on as you are new business and that can be as time consuming as new business. They micromanage your results in that they make you track your own progress but don't offer any help when the rep is struggling. They over staff their offices in markets that can't support the number of sales people for the area.

They should look at the totality of one's career with them and take into consideration their direct managers inability to manage before replacing reps. When a manager loses several good reps in a short period of time, that is a refection on management, not the reps. Also, they need to develop a managers training program for the sales managers before they give them that responsibility. Not all great sales people are cut out to be good managers.