Service Management Group
www.smg.com Kansas City, MO 150 to 499 Employees

Service Management Group Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Service Management Group – US – “Company photo on the rooftop patio”

Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm

Andy Fromm

Great company on the rise that takes more steps forward than steps back.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsSmart people. Company has generally competitive mentality yet teams are supportive. There is also a lot of positive energy and great forward momentum. Allows dogs in the office. Summer Friday hours. Projects allow you to work with great variety of interesting people and businesses. Change is a constant and occurs often.

ConsLearning curve is high. Projects and opportunities can be decided by luck of the draw and immediate supervisor. The hours can be long and projects can be stressful. Change is a constant and occurs often.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff development and work/life balance are largest areas of opportunity. Some employees appear left with excessive workload and too little advancement. Once burnout sets in with those employees, there is little chance that the trust and relationship can recover. The employees make the company. Investing in them is an investment in the future success of the company.

Project manager

ProsGreat culture, very casual, recognition.
    Very dynamic and rapidly growing company. If you like challenges, this is a great place to work at.

ConsWork and life balance is somewhat off here. You are obligated to work at off hours. Higher turnover makes the people that stay work more.

Great Job, Opportunity for Growth

Pros- Flexibility in the workplace
    - High energy, intelligent coworkers
    - Pushed to create insights that benefit the bottom line for clients
    - Upper Management takes time to get to know lower level employees
    - Great team atmosphere
    - If you are willing to work hard and show initiative, they will reward you

Cons- Reorganization that leads to confusion and, seemingly, frustration from clients
    - Pay is subpar but made up for with workplace benefits
    - Long hours are common during a project launch or presentation preparation

Advice to Senior Management- Better delegate tasks to motivate low level employees
    - Strive to keep teams together as much as possible

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat culture, including "dog days", summer hours, and special work times for holidays. Great place for younger people in their career.

ConsJob is repetitive; work at least 50 hours a week mentality (a marketing agency model). Not as much opportunity or respect for older employees. Cliques do develop.

Advice to Senior Managementwork on salaries while maintaining the great cultural experiences.

Fantastic Bosses, Less Than Favorable Work/Life Balance

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

Pros-I work with some of the most dedicated, intelligent people I've ever met. I genuinely feel that my superiors care for me and my career. Even the CEO seems to care for his employees.

-Number of perks. Including privileged time off, casual dress code, HHs, free food and gym.

-Location is pretty fun!

-HR seems to genuinely care for the employees. I saw this was a common complaint, and I'm not sure why...

-I've never been bored here.

Cons-Frequent reorganization, which causes stress on the client and then on to those in Client Services.

-Apparent rift between Operations and Client Services. I feel like this has gotten better, but this still seems to cause a hindrance in productivity. The level of accountability isn't very transparent either way.

-Lower level employees are expected to be incredibly flexible, which includes:
    --Working on the weekends
    --Working during vacation
    --Working 55+ hours a week

-Lack of resources. When someone quits, which happens often, it will take several months before the position is back filled with a trained employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a great culture, and there are great people. Work towards investing in efficiencies, and attracting/keeping talent that will stay.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, growing quickly

ProsGreat culture and wonderful people. The work adds real value to our clients and managers seek to provide growth opportunities to employees. Innovative, constantly growing and adding new clients, and striving to provide the best possible services and products to our client partners.

ConsSometimes select managers based on tenure and personal performance in prior roles, rather than selecting folks who are interested in and adept at managing. Some are truly great managers but not all, and they should provide opportunities to grow careers for folks who can't or don't want to manage others.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagerial training to first time managers.

I was very hopeful about this job -- Very unhappy!

Kansas City, MO

Pros--Fun work environment
    --Coworkers often look out for you
    --Gifts, Lunches, Dogs on Fridays, Free Concert Tickets, etc.
    --Large emphasis on KC Coorporate Challenge
    --SMG looks fantastic from a business stand point, maintaining current clients and expanding the client base monthly

Cons--Many employees 'lower' on the totem pole are completely overworked and not compensated, the work/life balance is terrible
    --Communication is the worst I have ever seen (HR in particular-very gossip oriented)
    --If you want to be around awesome people, you will get that here for sure, but there are those that try to fall in to the 'laid back' category and end up just being high strung and very passive aggressive
    --Too much training on how to be healthier/ a more effective worker / how to be involved at SMG and not enough training on the actual day to day job

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot speak for all Management, but my boss is unorganized, unresponsive, and unapproachable.

SMG has an amazing culture with an open and relaxed environment.

Director (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsCulture, Autonomy, Casual work environment, Growth, Opportunity, Community support

ConsInternal Measurement & Accountability, contributions are valued/recognized most for client facing roles

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage succession planning and prioritize development of future leaders higher.

Work Hard & They Will Treat You Well!

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

Pros-Laidback atmosphere (wear jeans to work - bring dogs to work)
    -Great people
    -Wonderful opportunities - In client services, you get the opportunity to meet and present C-Level executives to some of the biggest retail and restaurant brands in the world
    -Management recognizes great performance - It is a busy place but if you excel at your job, they will reward you
    -Flexible schedule when needed
    -Great balance of numbers, people and technology (in client services)

Cons- Most people are great, but there is a bit of a "martyr" attitude in some instances. We are client-serving company and it is difficult to act that way when the sole focus is not around the clients.You will do well if you think of the clients first.
    - Your clients drive your job satisfaction, so if you are on an especially demanding client, this will effect your job satisfaction. Sr management does not always have the time to support you due to demanding travel schedules.
    -Career progression is not clear, but this is mostly because we are a smaller company - more circumstance than anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more guidance on role expectations to help those wanting to be promoted. I agree with previous statements about promoting for circumstance, not always talent. Also, keep the reorgs to a minimum - a reorg 1/year is demanding on clients and your employees.

The perks they promise do not make up for the unhealthy working environment

Solution Analyst (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThey hire some really good people. It is a casual work environment. In the summer they do catered lunches on Fridays and have some happy hours. People can bring their dogs in to work.

It gave me some relevant job experience and something to put on my resume.

ConsThe management in Operations is absolutely terrible. They are not qualified to be managing anyone and have no idea how to do most of the things their employees do. They are unapproachable and not willing to help when you need it, nor are they willing to listen to criticism. Communication is terrible and we were always the last people to hear about things that were going on. There is a lot of favoritism. SA's are treated terribly and don't get respect from most of the people they work with. You are also completely reliant on other people and most of them do not get their tasks done on time.

They make you think you will be working 40-45 hours but many employees end up working 60 hours or more per week. There is no training done by management and it all falls to your teammates to train you to do the basic functions of your job. SA's do not get paid nearly enough for what they do. Many people get out of doing their work and act extremely immature. This is really a company where you have to know the right people to be successful, because your managers will not help you. They should be encouraging people to stay with the company and move to different positions, but they make it almost impossible to do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more SA's so that they can all have even workloads. Stop giving such preferential treatment to certain employees. Give basic training for the first few weeks for new employees so they know how to do their job. Treat people, especially SA's, with respect and inform them early if things are happening within the company that will affect them.

Worked for Service Management Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Service Management Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Service Management Group CEO Andy Fromm. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Service Management Group employees.