Service Management Group Reviews

Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

1. Excellent Client Solutions

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SMG offers a variety of products to improve the guest and/or employee experience. Flexible working schedule (including summer hours) nice set of insurance and benefits, but this varies by team. SMG truly cares about their employees and want them to be engaged at multiple levels and feel valued. The client list is by far the best out of any competitor and products to help the Client's business are the most advanced on the market. VP management and above is top-notch, with actual results.

Cons

Project load is intense for the pay offered. Many employees on the Client Services and Operations departments work 50-55 hours a week during peak project times. As the client list grows, there is more demand on internal teams. Directors and lower levels of management maintain high expectations as the demand intensifies. Working to meet that demand on a consistent high volume of client work leads to some error, burnout, and long hours for the internal teams.

Advice to Management

Vice Presidents and above do a fantastic job with managing expectations and creating true change in the workplace. Directors and below could learn from these same practices.

Too much office politics -

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer hours until Labor Day, bring your dog to work day, healthy snack closet, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cheeses available for anyone, company paid lunches on Friday in the summer, there's an outdoor upper deck that has a great view of downtown KC, and a company-centric, company sponsored corporate challenge event where everyone gets involved.

Cons

Internal bickering, people are afraid to ask questions of those in other departments - it's not allowed. Too many office politics. Very corporate environment for a company that's so small in employee count. High turnover and employees are spread too thin.

Advice to Management

We are constantly training people, put in long hours and the turnover just keeps happening. If we were building that would be thing, but we just replace all the time. HR: Find out why so many people quit and do something about it.

Could Be a 5-Star Employer

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where do I start? If you love an energized, fast-passed environment where you come in, look up, and it's suddenly time to go home, this company is for you. We have summer hours accompanied by free lunch on Friday, events and parties galore, and our office is in quite possibly the most happening section of the Crossroads right now. The icing on the cake is that the hours are extremely flexible, bring your dog on Fridays, you can work from home when you want, and there are tons of opportunities for advancement as soon as you prove yourself.

Cons

I know exactly where to start. The biggest glaring issue here is that HR likes to say we offer a competitive salary and they bring in a consultant every couple of years to back up their story, but the truth is they don't. When I was offered $15k more at another company in town for taking a step back in my career, I almost jumped. In fact a ton of people make the jump every year for that exact reason. Second, benefits aren't great if you have ongoing medical issues or need a brand name prescription because there are no generics yet. You'll be paying $3k out of pocket for all of that until Insurance kicks in, thanks to our high deductible plan. HR has an excuse for that too.

Advice to Management

Obviously, money is a big issue and the reason turnover is fairly high. We are a highly profitable company and can be even more so if we would quit giving our software and services away for free. Start charging our clients what our products are worth and pay everyone what they deserve. Don't forget we work 50+ hours a week for below-average pay. HR's excuses aren't that effective on the vast majority of people that walk through our doors.

5. Great place to grow and learn!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, opportunities, work and culture! The people are amazing! The hiring process is hard and long but it brings in great people. If you want them the opportunities are there but you have to be willing to work for them. The work is challenging and new everyday. Culture, they really care about you and help their own. As people go through personal struggles the entire company will chip in and help in any way possible, it is amazing to witness!

Cons

The hours can be long at times and clients can be challenging and demanding.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees and do not reduce your hiring standards even if it takes a little longer to fill a role.

6. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and teams. Intelligent people. Interesting work. Travel. New challenges to overcome every day. Summer Fridays. Dogs allowed in office. Relaxed dress code. Flexible hours.

Cons

Share of work is not always fairly distributed. Expectations are high and pay is average. A 55+ hour work week is not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Abandon blanket approach to determining employee capacity. Stop piling on work without providing greater compensation and/or team support.

7. Great Place to Work, Rewards Loyalty

Pros

Good culture, fast paced, flexible schedule

Cons

burn out for some but getting better

8. Feild Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Flossmoor, IL
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Flossmoor, IL

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are an agency that encourages creative thinking and allow of creative control independently versus not being open to hearing some of the non traditional events and marketing.

Cons

They do not offer a benefits package.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. Analyst

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ate my fare share of free food. My manager was flexible enough when I requested time off (as long as I had the required PTO banked).

Cons

At a minimum 90% of the people working here are white. I am one of the very few brown employees, and often feel uncomfortable due to this. I could be, but hope that I am not singled out for this observation. Please do not be discriminatory in your hiring process.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard working employees who contribute to the success of SMG. Refrain from not hiring applicants who inerfear with management/owners conservative views. Ownership/founders father often belittles associates based on identity.

10. SMG

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

They let me do my job with out interference. Was a pleasant work environment

Cons

I worked at my position for over 8 years and received a salary increase only once

11. Good place to work.

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is the shining point of this job. There is plenty of opportunity to meet and get to know the people you work with.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a challenge to grow your own career. The company has left a lot up to the employees to develop on their own time, which seems fair most of the time. Other times the help you may need to get your job done is lacking.

Advice to Management

Working out a way to allow more comparable pay and benefits would help. It would also be nice if there were ways to reduce the amount of stress and pressure to make things get done.

RSS Feed </> Embed