Service Management Group

Updated October 11, 2014
3.6

Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

Very good company with many vacation benefits

Current Employee - Test Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Test Architect in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented core group of people, with very good leadership management

Cons

Sometimes departments do not communicate very well

Middle management choices are not so great

If you enjoy free food/drinks this is your spot. If you're looking for a career steer clear.

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The building/facilities are nice (excluding the sandpaper toilet paper). There are copious amounts of free food/happy hours. You can bring your dog to work on Fridays (if that is important to your job satisfaction). Oh also, if you compete in 6+ Kansas City Corporate Challenge events Andy Fromm will give you a wind breaker with the SMG logo on it.

Cons

Most above entry level hires are middle aged (35+ year old) individuals who have failed to climb past the second rung on the ladder of life. These hires can be difficult/unbearable to work with if you are of sound reasoning. Turnover at this level is extremely high which increases this frustration. If you are an entry level associate you will be lucky to get a manager who is interested in growing your skills. There are good/respectable managers to work with here, but it's a real craps shoot on who you end up with.

Pay adequate wages. Grow associates from the entry level up! Stop trying to mitigate job dissatisfaction with free food/drinks, concert tickets, and bringing your dog/kids to work.

Great company on the rise that takes more steps forward than steps back.

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Company has generally competitive mentality yet teams are supportive. There is also a lot of positive energy and great forward momentum. Allows dogs in the office. Summer Friday hours. Projects allow you to work with great variety of interesting people and businesses. Change is a constant and occurs often.

Cons

Learning curve is high. Projects and opportunities can be decided by luck of the draw and immediate supervisor. The hours can be long and projects can be stressful. Change is a constant and occurs often.

Staff development and work/life balance are largest areas of opportunity. Some employees appear left with excessive workload and too little advancement. Once burnout sets in with those employees, there is little chance that the trust and relationship can recover. The employees make the company. Investing in them is an investment in the future success of the company.

Project Analyst

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and company has fun benefits like Summer lunches and Corporate Challenge involvement

Cons

Work expectation is high and salary range is low. Company has grown a lot and it is getting harder and harder to get things changed. Job satisfaction is at an all time low

Listen to your employees. They are over worked and under paid.

Project manager

I have been working at Service Management Group

Pros

Great culture, very casual, recognition.
    Very dynamic and rapidly growing company. If you like challenges, this is a great place to work at.

Cons

Work and life balance is somewhat off here. You are obligated to work at off hours. Higher turnover makes the people that stay work more.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, including "dog days", summer hours, and special work times for holidays. Great place for younger people in their career.

Cons

Job is repetitive; work at least 50 hours a week mentality (a marketing agency model). Not as much opportunity or respect for older employees. Cliques do develop.

work on salaries while maintaining the great cultural experiences.

Great Job, Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at Service Management Group

Pros

- Flexibility in the workplace
    - High energy, intelligent coworkers
    - Pushed to create insights that benefit the bottom line for clients
    - Upper Management takes time to get to know lower level employees
    - Great team atmosphere
    - If you are willing to work hard and show initiative, they will reward you

Cons

- Reorganization that leads to confusion and, seemingly, frustration from clients
    - Pay is subpar but made up for with workplace benefits
    - Long hours are common during a project launch or presentation preparation

- Better delegate tasks to motivate low level employees
    - Strive to keep teams together as much as possible

Fantastic Bosses, Less Than Favorable Work/Life Balance

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-I work with some of the most dedicated, intelligent people I've ever met. I genuinely feel that my superiors care for me and my career. Even the CEO seems to care for his employees.

-Number of perks. Including privileged time off, casual dress code, HHs, free food and gym.

-Location is pretty fun!

-HR seems to genuinely care for the employees. I saw this was a common complaint, and I'm not sure why...

-I've never been bored here.

Cons

-Frequent reorganization, which causes stress on the client and then on to those in Client Services.

-Apparent rift between Operations and Client Services. I feel like this has gotten better, but this still seems to cause a hindrance in productivity. The level of accountability isn't very transparent either way.

-Lower level employees are expected to be incredibly flexible, which includes:
    --Working on the weekends
    --Working during vacation
    --Working 55+ hours a week

-Lack of resources. When someone quits, which happens often, it will take several months before the position is back filled with a trained employee.

There is a great culture, and there are great people. Work towards investing in efficiencies, and attracting/keeping talent that will stay.

Great company, growing quickly

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and wonderful people. The work adds real value to our clients and managers seek to provide growth opportunities to employees. Innovative, constantly growing and adding new clients, and striving to provide the best possible services and products to our client partners.

Cons

Sometimes select managers based on tenure and personal performance in prior roles, rather than selecting folks who are interested in and adept at managing. Some are truly great managers but not all, and they should provide opportunities to grow careers for folks who can't or don't want to manage others.

Managerial training to first time managers.

I was very hopeful about this job -- Very unhappy!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

--Fun work environment
    --Coworkers often look out for you
    --Gifts, Lunches, Dogs on Fridays, Free Concert Tickets, etc.
    --Large emphasis on KC Coorporate Challenge
    --SMG looks fantastic from a business stand point, maintaining current clients and expanding the client base monthly

Cons

--Many employees 'lower' on the totem pole are completely overworked and not compensated, the work/life balance is terrible
    --Communication is the worst I have ever seen (HR in particular-very gossip oriented)
    --If you want to be around awesome people, you will get that here for sure, but there are those that try to fall in to the 'laid back' category and end up just being high strung and very passive aggressive
    --Too much training on how to be healthier/ a more effective worker / how to be involved at SMG and not enough training on the actual day to day job

I cannot speak for all Management, but my boss is unorganized, unresponsive, and unapproachable.

Service Management Group Photos