Service Systems Associates Reviews

2.4
Timothy L. Brantley

1. Fun place

I have been working at Service Systems Associates

Pros

Fun place to work good Co workers good food

Cons

Low pay not enough hours seasonal work tough to advance

The worst job I've ever had - probably because I didn't sleep with the boss

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Service Systems Associates

Pros

Absolutely nothing about it was a Pro. Oh wait, I got to geed the giraffes once.

Cons

Where do I start? It was the worst 3 months of my life.

I started out taking a full time job along with another person. We would be doing basically the same job and would work 40 hour weeks. After a week of work, everything changed. My job description changed regularly.

Hours: I worked here for less than 3 months "full-time" I say full time because I worked on average 50-80 hours a week. Sometimes 7 days a week, and sometimes around 30 or so of those hours were just in 2-3 days. Did I get breaks? No. If I tried to take one, I was yelled at by management. I was regularly expected to come in less than 8 hours after I had already left the night before - at 3 AM.

Compensation: I made far less than some of my employees that I managed. When my boss left and her job was thrust upon me, I made the same amount and was expected to do her job completely and my job completely. And half the job of the GM because he didn't do anything useful anyway unless you were his favorite.

Management: I was yelled at in front of my staff and in front of guests for things that were not at all a result of my incompetence or mistakes, but because of the incompetence and mistakes made by those Favorited by the upper management. Because I wasn't a favorite and didn't flirt with upper management, I was treated like I did nothing at all even though I managed the operations of almost every major private event at the zoo for those 3 months.

Instead of being a manager and helping me by hiring a replacement for my boss, I was told that I just didn't care enough or wasn't passionate enough and would "figure it out" if I was. I was put in charge of hiring my equals but because of meager pay, no one wanted the jobs I needed covered. I had no help in staffing or assistance with bringing more people on board so that my work load would be equal to what I had signed on for.

I could have formed a pretty intense law suit against SSA in SF for all of the blatant HR laws that they broke. My favorite part was when I was promised a bonus and overtime pay and had to wait for 2 months to receive a check and was reprimanded for going to HR because my manager didn't actually want to pay me what was promised.

Instead i told them to shove it and walked out right before their busiest weekend and do not regret it for a second.

Get rid of all of them. CEO and Corporate? Get your heads in the game and realize how bad the management here was - DO NOT JUST SEND THEM TO ANOTHER ZOO.

SSA can be a welcome partner if you accept and participate.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Service Systems Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Autonomy - Do your job well you will have minimal oversight

Cons

training may be insufficient. could be more thoughtful about the difficulty of transitions.

straightforward expectations, good training manual, more collaboration with others in similar positions.

5. Favoritism runs Rampant !! Management the most unprofessional ever witnessed in my life.

I worked at Service Systems Associates full-time

Pros

If you are Lazy you will fit in. The management will like you if you have no interest in climbing the ladder, they don't want anyone who may challenge their ridiculous positions. Also room mates and friends to the management should apply. All you will be responsible for is punching in.

Cons

TOP management will yell at you in front of customers and fellow employees during a food rush. Other management is a joke. They are the pets and favorites for reasons that have nothing to do with their work ethic. Favoritism runs rampant. People get promotions based purely on management having a crush on certain employees. Zero professionalism. Your fellow employees will be friends of friends REGARDLESS of their work ethic. If you are a strong worker be prepared to be responsible for the majority of the work, as the other workers are not expected to work. Management will pick and choose who works where out of favoritism, not for the better of the company and from the other reviews here it seems to be a pattern within the company, do yourself a favor if you want a career in food service move on from here.

Investigate upper management, ask WHY do they have these positions, send them to school to take a course in management 101. The basics like law suits against discrimination, how favoritism breeds resentment and how a managers job is to create a team atmosphere, NOT to keep employees against each other for your own benefit.

6. Fun first job, but very hot

I worked at Service Systems Associates

Pros

Food
    Meeting New People
    Variety of jobs to do
    Simple and easy direct deposit

Cons

Very hot in the summer
    only allowed to wear pants
    management shows favoritism
    constant scheduling errors

7. Not enough hours

I have been working at Service Systems Associates

Pros

Working at the zoo is awesome, fun atmosphere, easy job

Cons

Only working weekends, not enough hours

Spread around the hours more instead of just giving weekday hours to older employees

8. Horrible conditions, Worse Managers.

Current Employee - Cook in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Service Systems Associates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with.

Cons

Horrible managers, horrible decisions. No supplies. Treated like slaves and if you speak up they will cut your hours despite hurting the other employees around. They do NOT create a healthy work environment for employees.

Take management classes.

9. Assistant retail manager for Service Systems Associates

Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Service Systems Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, good staff

Cons

Compensation not equal to amount of work done

10. Awesome.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Service Systems Associates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training. Always a fun environment. Set me up to be very prepared to work other places.

Cons

None that I can pin point that directly effects the business as a whole.

11. Very disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Service Systems Associates

Pros

They start off with a good salary and are willing to give you a lot of hours.

Cons

Management is very unstable and immature where I worked. Poor communicators and I felt as though it was our goal as a retail team to rip off the customers instead of help them or provide the best items.

Need to revamp the system and hire a competent management.