Service Systems Associates Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Timothy L. Brantley

1. Worked at the aquarium it was fun, alot of interacting with customers and meet people all over the world.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey, CA

I worked at Service Systems Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free admission for you and your family. Discount on merchandise. Getting to see all the animals is the best.

Cons

Pay isn't the greatest. Depending on what manager you work with you might get micro managed alot. Kid overload lines are very long.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage and give out more hours.

Dissapointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Service Systems Associates (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very up and coming. They allow overtime which is very nice in regards to the money you will make.

Cons

As an Office Manager I didn't receive any STD or LTD as benefits because I was an hourly manager. The Upper Management here is very discriminatory. Many managers have quite due to this fact. This company wants you to be married to the job and doesn't have a good balance of work/home life.

Advice to Management

Take the time to care about your employees.

3. Culinary Worker at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Former Employee - Culinary Worker in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Culinary Worker in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Service Systems Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to be at the zoo all day. The team you work with is fun to be around and they treat you well. Everyone recognizes that this isn't really a career job so people have fun, especially at the Grizzly Grill. At the same time they run a very tight ship and are very professional.

Cons

The wage isn't great, but it does increase fifty cents each year you come back to wrk for them which is nice. There aren't that many opportunities for advancement and the managers tend to play favorites with who will be promoted to better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Offer a higher wage to employees and more will stick around for longer. There is very high turnover from year to year because the hourly wage is not high enough and people can make more elsewhere.

5. In need of a new program

Current Employee - Concessions in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Concessions in Royal Oak, MI

Pros

"Free" admission for you and a friend

Cons

Minimum wage (8.15/hr) no benefits offered to part time associates Must wear pants in extremely hot weather; not variety in uniform options I do more work at this job for less pay than I do at my other job.

Advice to Management

Run a background test and drug test on all employees, current and new. Increase starting pay.

6. awful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

Pros

Co workers are only upside

Cons

Management sucks they make fun of employees always threaten your job and call you names

Advice to Management

LEARN HOW TO BE MANAGERS

7. Beware, Then Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Service Systems Associates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. So I guess you're lucky to have one.

Cons

I can go on and on about the cons because there is hardly anything positive. So here it goes. This is by far the worst job I've ever had. The upper management was mean and cheap. You only get to promote if you kiss tail, if you're already a friend, or if you threaten management in some kind of way. I trained people who got paid more than I did and they expected me to do most of the work. Like mentioned in other reviews, the management has no problem with yelling at you in front of customers and coworkers while you're preparing food to make you look stupid. Usually it will be about something that you have no control over. They act as if it's Hell's kitchen. I was in college a little after I was hired and had a child while I was there. As a single father and a college student, management did not want to adjust anything with my schedule. When I say it is the worst job ever, there is no exaggeration. I left that place without further notice after finding another job. I just told him that I'm not coming back in. After picking up my paycheck, I was just glad that I didn't have to see any managers that I worked with.

Advice to Management

Have some kind of soul. Stop being selfish. Pay enough money to put gas in the tank. Appreciate the employees hard work because it is hard enough to live up to your expectations. Corporate needs to investigate what goes on, unless it was their idea for the madness anyway.

8. fun place and alot of work duties different jobs

Current Employee - Concessions in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Concessions in Columbia, SC

Pros

most part they treat u the way they want to be treated!every two week pay good enough for me when u sick they understand and work with you on your scehdule when you can work they ask if you are ok and give you credit in your work a Aplus

Cons

nothing bad to say just when it rains weather is bad we dont work thats all

Advice to Management

none to be givin they do a great job managing us

9. Fun place

Pros

Fun place to work good Co workers good food

Cons

Low pay not enough hours seasonal work tough to advance

The worst job I've ever had - probably because I didn't sleep with the boss

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Absolutely nothing about it was a Pro. Oh wait, I got to geed the giraffes once.

Cons

Where do I start? It was the worst 3 months of my life. I started out taking a full time job along with another person. We would be doing basically the same job and would work 40 hour weeks. After a week of work, everything changed. My job description changed regularly. Hours: I worked here for less than 3 months "full-time" I say full time because I worked on average 50-80 hours a week. Sometimes 7 days a week, and sometimes around 30 or so of those hours were just in 2-3 days. Did I get breaks? No. If I tried to take one, I was yelled at by management. I was regularly expected to come in less than 8 hours after I had already left the night before - at 3 AM. Compensation: I made far less than some of my employees that I managed. When my boss left and her job was thrust upon me, I made the same amount and was expected to do her job completely and my job completely. And half the job of the GM because he didn't do anything useful anyway unless you were his favorite. Management: I was yelled at in front of my staff and in front of guests for things that were not at all a result of my incompetence or mistakes, but because of the incompetence and mistakes made by those Favorited by the upper management. Because I wasn't a favorite and didn't flirt with upper management, I was treated like I did nothing at all even though I managed the operations of almost every major private event at the zoo for those 3 months. Instead of being a manager and helping me by hiring a replacement for my boss, I was told that I just didn't care enough or wasn't passionate enough and would "figure it out" if I was. I was put in charge of hiring my equals but because of meager pay, no one wanted the jobs I needed covered. I had no help in staffing or assistance with bringing more people on board so that my work load would be equal to what I had signed on for. I could have formed a pretty intense law suit against SSA in SF for all of the blatant HR laws that they broke. My favorite part was when I was promised a bonus and overtime pay and had to wait for 2 months to receive a check and was reprimanded for going to HR because my manager didn't actually want to pay me what was promised. Instead i told them to shove it and walked out right before their busiest weekend and do not regret it for a second.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of them. CEO and Corporate? Get your heads in the game and realize how bad the management here was - DO NOT JUST SEND THEM TO ANOTHER ZOO.

SSA can be a welcome partner if you accept and participate.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Service Systems Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy - Do your job well you will have minimal oversight

Cons

training may be insufficient. could be more thoughtful about the difficulty of transitions.

Advice to Management

straightforward expectations, good training manual, more collaboration with others in similar positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed