ServiceLink

Updated April 9, 2014
Updated April 9, 2014
2.0

Chris Azur

Pros
  • good amount of vacation time, flex scheduling allowed during summer, casual dress (in 10 reviews)

• Pretty laid-back, easy dress code, great little kitchen, job wasn't back, and chances to earn more with overtime (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Constantly changing expectations from upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Too Many Chiefs / low pay rate for stress level and hours you are expected to work - mandatory overtime required (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company has forced the business to use a system (Vision) that's not fit for the business needs = IT Chaos!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at ServiceLink

Pros

Casual dress (shorts, jeans almost every day), flexible work schedule, good pay/benefits, some good people to hang out with.Game room/gym available on site.

Cons

IT and supporting business application (Vision) in constant chaos. IT is a revolving door. Half of IT is Indian/Pakistani. Very little opportunity to improve IT tech skills, either work with the chaotic Java-based Vision application or work with VB6 or .Net 1.1 applications that they've tried to sunset for years. Work with the messy code offshore IT resources created. Business folks not educated. What is constant there is changing requirements. Requirements often change drastically during development or at the end of development cycle, and may change back to original requirements once you start working with the new requirements.

Parking is terrible. Get in before 8:45am or you may need to take a bus in from where you parked.

Management told IT employees that your job is not an 8-5 job.

IT execs-get in the game! You are for the most part invisible, and the funjctioning of the IT department is not getting better. What are you being paid to do? Talk to your people and show you care, and are trying to improve the department and address the issues resulting in the revolving door. Make the job a 9-5, people have better things to do off-hours. Hire a professional firm to address and provide recommmendations to fix the problems if you cannot do it yourself.

Formerly good company going downhill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at ServiceLink full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good benefits, competitive salary (for now), comfortable facilities

Cons

recent merger with their main competitor has created a lot of turmoil, and had a majorly negative impact on the work environment.

Step in NOW and get things back to the "ServiceLink" way, following the precepts, before it's too late. The recent acquisition may have brought in additional clients and revenue, but it has also pushed out a lot of quality employees, and is turning a great service-minded company into a cold, mediocre assembly line.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Database Developer  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at ServiceLink full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you don't like your manager stick around (s)he'll been gone in three months. Seriously the revolving door is spinning faster than ever. Whom ever hires you almost certainly won't be there to do your one year review.

Cons

Career path is non-existent. If you are technical and talented and willing to learn anything they decide they need you to do on your own you'll survive. No training dollars at all. They hire consultants or just fire and rehire to get new skill sets. You'll automate processes until you've worked yourself out of a job.

Does it matter? You won't be there in three months.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HIRE AND FIRE!

Former Employee - Client Services Representative  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at ServiceLink full-time for less than a year

Pros

NONE NIL NADA NOT THING

Cons

They hire mass amount of employees, and then within 90days, they fire you!

GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE CRISTICISM so your employees can improve instead of false hope of a promotion!

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at ServiceLink as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice office space. Friendly environment between co-workers (not managers and directors). Good benefits. Very nice employees (excluding managers, directors and VPs).

Cons

Very arrogant management. Frequently curse yell at the junior employees. Promotions are 100% political. Treat junior employees as slaves. I have seen a director standing by his car and his subordinate cleaning snow from the director's car. No need to explain further.

Replace most of the arrogant directors and hire some nice people at the higher management posts.

Service Link is a Joke

Current Employee - Doc Audit  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Doc Audit in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at ServiceLink full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can wear what you want to work and all the free coffee you can drink.

Cons

Hired for one dept and then on day of orientation was told that I was going to another dept for $2.00 less than I was hired for. Was suppose to start at 12 an hour but ending up in the doc audit dept for 10. I should be fortunate as the girl who sits next to me been there almost a year and is getting paid 9 an hour. Was shown one time how to sort papers and was given 5 packages to do. I was told my hours would be 9 to 5:30 also but was told that if work wasn't done you have to stay till everyone in the dept was finished with their work. First day I was there from 8:15 to 9:30 pm. Second day, was more or less the same thing, sorting packages all day 5 at a time and had to go to each person and ask them for packages. There are many Banks that they do and each has their own way of putting their packages together but there is no training on the job, other than them giving you stacks to sort and being told they aren't in the right order. Some tells you to write one number on stickers that you place on the packages others tell you that you place another number on there. Team Lead is no help either, he sits at his desk and plays on the computer all day. First week I did get to work 36 hours of overtime and was told on Friday at 9 pm that I have to work on Saturday on rejects.. Second week is their crunch week and I put in another 30 hours of overtime and still haven't had proper training. I was shown once how to check in packages but since I don't have a computer I have to wait till someone goes on break to use their computer. I sat in 10 different seats trying to get this work checked in and is impossible to do without your own computer. I was told it would take at least 6 weeks to get a computer and to set up phone. Also your told you have to take a lunch break and sign out for it but your expected to work your lunch. One of the perks of the job is all the free coffee you can drink since your working 14-15 hour days and not allowed to leave after your 8 hours.
    Been there 3 weeks now and all I have done is worked overtime and no proper training. Only talked to my team lead once on the day he brought me to the dept, not sure what his job description is as he sits and does nothing all day. I watched 3 people get laid off in the 3 weeks that I have been there as it was close to day 90 and they don't want to hire. 2 of the people that started with me have quit because it is mandatory overtime that you have to do every day with no formal training. I am looking for a new job as this isn't what I expected when I was hired on with ServiceLink, I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone as they don't believe you should have a life.

You need to train employees to do the job that you expect them to do. To many people tell you what your doing wrong but no one to show you exactly what to do. Ask people if they want to work overtime and don't demand it of them. People have lives outside of work

Not my worst job but close

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at ServiceLink

Pros

Its a fairly stable job. There is minimal risk of getting fired as long as you do a decent job. The pay is pretty good and the benefits are OK. Most of the employees are easy to work worth.

Cons

Horrible management decisions and leadership. The leaders are either know it all bullies or terrified to make a decision and would rather hang somebody they make do it for them. They are determined to follow through on a system that doesn't work because of egos. In a tough market, everyone is leaving at first chance and it is very difficult to get replacements. Management is oblivious to all of this. Half the company is from India and Pakistan making communication difficult and creates some cultural issues.

I have told all this to management already and there has been minimal if any effort to improve the situation. All I can say is you reap what you sow and with the path they are falling, I would be very concerned with the future stability of the company.

It has been a very bumpy ride.

Current Employee - Database Developer  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at ServiceLink

Pros

Flexible hours, nice facilities and location. Good vacation and sick leave policy. Casual dress except when customers are visiting.

Cons

Yearly bonus has been eliminated. 401K bonus was eliminated and then brought back at half of the original benefit. Terrible parking situation requiring a 1/4 mile walk. Smokers block entrance and area is strewn with cigarette butts. Very high employee and management turnover.

Take sincere steps towards convincing corporate management that steps need to be taken to retain existing staff.

Save yourself a few weeks and don't start working here

Former Employee - Closing Coordinator  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Closing Coordinator in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at ServiceLink

Pros

They offer benefits
    You have the option to transfer to another state if a position is open
    The training is excellent

Cons

I started working for National Link, a sister company of ServiceLink based in Coraopolis, PA. The initial job description seemed straightforward and interesting to me. However, my first bad impression (and I should have listened to my gut) was the job interview. I walked in and the person I was supposed to interview with (who was soon promoted to VP of the company) had forgotten to schedule my interview, was double booked, and could not meet with me. So I had an impromptu interview with a gentleman who later turned out to be my boss. He would ask me a question but at no point did he make eye contact or act like he was listening to what I was saying. The interview was short. A few days later, I received a formal acceptance e-mail, but the pay was almost $2 less than the industry average, so I had to negotiate a higher hourly rate, which took another 3 days.

The training weeks were fairly informative (training was done with ServiceLink). However, once I started in the NationalLink building, I was literally thrown into the center of everything and received very little training of the computer systems and company-specific way of doing things.

Employees worked 10-12 hour days, just to get the work done. Often, management would inform us of mandatory over time for Saturday the day before. Management expected us to respond to every e-mail (averaging 150-200 a day) from our client and every phone call (averaging 10-20 an hour) or else it's considered "bad customer service" and you can get fired. The turnover rate is outrageous. In one month, I watched 2 team leads and 5 employees come and go in my department, either because they got sick and tired of being yelled at day in and day out or they were fired for "poor customer service". The policies ad procedures changed daily and the way management informed us was through a meeting or an e-mail. The actual job requirements far exceeded what was disclosed in the initial job description.

There is no respect for life outside the work place and you have to fight for time off. There is always a game of favorites and no job security since they can fire you for "poor customer service" at any time, regardless of your tenure. They win their unemployment cases by having a broadly-worded handbook which you sign that you read and received at training.

An easy place to burn out...

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at ServiceLink

Pros

The pay is great, and if you like a job with a lot of change and a continuous flow of work it can be a great place. There are some very good managers that are there that you can learn from and have the ability to interact with. It is a very diverse culture, so you have the opportunity to learn more about someone outside of your normal circle.

Cons

Very HIGH industry turnover! While having a continuous flow of work is a pro, the con is that the timeline to complete the work isn't always reasonable. The expectation seems to be to consistently work 50+ hours in a week. The work/life balance doesn't seem to be much more than an afterthought. Senior Management doesn't always lead properly. The executive staff is knowledgeable, but there is too much I, I, me, me and not enough team work. So finger pointing and anger between business units is very common. While change is inevitable, the way that change is handled isn't done very well. So you seem to do a lot of things to do, in the end, nothing.

Stop looking at just the bottom dollar, and have a company that is focused more on the staff. You might keep the good employees. Stop burning them out and take the time to do things right instead of half way. You save so much man hours down stream and provide a quality product.

Worked for ServiceLink? Contribute to the Community!