ServiceMaster

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

ServiceMaster CEO Robert Gillette
Robert Gillette

Pros
  • Work life balance is important and the company strives to ensure all employees find balance (in 4 reviews)

• Support/ Admin staff & Technicians are good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate is not well organized and the changing of very senior management doesn't help with stability (in 6 reviews)

• long hours / on call hours were required for disaster recovery work) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Employment

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

Never overworked - work life balance

Cons

Sometimes cut throat - Management can throw you under bus

Overall, not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Corporate Office  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

This company is working hard to go places. There are internal development opportunities via job-sharing, trading and possible promotions. They are open to new ideas and better ways of doing things.

Cons

The executive team is completely new; no tenure over 2 years. A lot of changes have impacted the culture negatively. The corporate offices have now become more of a battleground with devious maneuvers and land-grabbing power plays. This will pass, but it has made it a difficult year. Some decisions that have been made regarding who left and who stayed during the layoff in early 2014 were questionable, at best. We lost some really great people and promoted some not so great people. I believe part of this has to do with a new executive team that simply did not know the people well enough and may have misplaced trust in those with agendas that were focused on their own careers, rather than the good of the company.

Continue pushing for a culture of direct and honest communication and hold people accountable when they work in opposition to this. Ensure the managers that are hired have the right personality traits for leading and motivating. A recent decision to part ways with a VP was a good decision; protect your fragile culture while it has time to grow.

Career options are scarce in Memphis anyway, so ServiceMaster is one of the major employers for Accounting/Finance

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

um…..hmmmmmm…….well, they claim to base the company culture around Christian values. There are insurance benefits, and a small matching of 401k, just basic stuff, nothing amazing. Some positions are allowed a sort of flex-time schedule where you can work 10+ hour days for 4 days then off the 5th, or some version of that.

Cons

Constant, seemingly erratic changes on a large scale that never take off or are reversed or changed again. Moral is just low. Good ole boy executive team. Lots of middle management that have no business supervising the work of others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing experience at HQ

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

Work-Life Balance is good. The compensation is good for the area but low compared to the equivalent responsibilities and education requirements at other companies. Overall, their are opportunities for improvement but the challenge is making those improvements in its current culture.

Cons

High executive and senior leadership turnover. Only a few good senior leaders left that care about their employees development needs. WARNING for high performing individuals with top business degrees- Not a MBA culture. Doesn't promote individuals on merit. Not a progressive, forward thinking culture that values improvement or change; values status quo. People continue to be promoted based on the Peter Principle.

Focus on improving the culture and values and retaining talent. Too many smart and good people have left. Favoritism is heavily favored over merit. Branch out from beyond this region to attract talent with different perspectives and points of view. Needs to attract more top MBA talent (Top 25) which will help steer focus on results and growth.

Constant change of leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

Decent pay compared to other companies in area.

Cons

Constant change of leadership has caused an overall lack of direction. There is an inequity of workload in many departments. Favoritism is prevalent within the organization.

Treated as family,

Current Employee - Damage Restoration Tech  in  Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - Damage Restoration Tech in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great job for learning many different things. I have learned many useful things on the job that I can apply to my own life. Have been treated like family from day one, also they treat you as an equal no matter what position you have. I Have been trusted with many responsibilities when I didn't expect to even be given the chance to do certain things.(which I like being trusted and given more responsibilities. They are very helpful and if you follow through and do things right, they are always open for advancement. Great place to work for and I plan on staying there for a long time. Feels more like a family than just co-workers and managers. I seen a lot of people say the pay is a little low but I have to say I live comfortable and still receive raises periodically and even based on performance sometimes. If your a hard worker and are willing to learn new things and make a career then I would have to say ServiceMaster is a great place to be!

Cons

On call has its downsides and It can be a dirty, stinky job but no complaints other than that.

Better communication between techs and management could be helpful. I know personally it is very hard to keep track of all the different jobs you do in a week, and sometimes the lack of communication between employees can result in some misunderstandings.

Political

I worked at ServiceMaster for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours were great for most part, work was satisfying. most people were great to work with

Cons

Jealousy as well as unprofessional behavior between management and staff within the company made for hard working environment. Wages were not in line with work load, improper payment of overtime.

Keep closer review of the accounts and employees to avoid drama. consider training and in house promotions to avoid jealousy towards those that are promoted within.

Wasn't impressed

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Contractor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ServiceMaster as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They scheduled the job in a timely manner.

Cons

I did not work for this company ~ we hired them to pressure wash our four story building. They did a terrible job, the crew leader was abrasive and dismissive, they didn't do the work that was promised, and they broke a tap. Service Master definitely had this woman's back though, as someone else commented ~ they 100 % supported her word that her crew had done a fine job, and supported her claim that our site manager had been abusive toward her when he tried to explain to her what was wrong with the job ~ there were no witnesses to corroborate her claims that he physically assaulted her ~ his word against hers kind of thing. I would not recommend hiring this company, but it sounds like it might be an okay place to work if you want to work for minimum wage. Expmple ~ probably about five employees, lift rental, one day's work ~ we were charged $3000 ~ figuring Service master probably walked away with $1000 profit for the company for that one job. Times that by the millions they claim to serve ~ pretty lucrative.

Hire people who take more pride in their work and don't try to justify shoddy work. Pay your employees more so you get quality people instead of transient people for whom the job is careless stepping stone or time filler.

Just a job... not a career!

Current Employee - Restoration Technician
    Current Employee - Restoration Technician

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Follow technicians become friends despite all the hardship.

Cons

Poor Compensation
    Long hours
    Can be long days of constant hard work with no rest.
    On call ...24/7..
    Arbitrary work rules that change on a whim.
    Expected to drop every thing important at a moment's notice
    Company's Values does not translate to franchisees.
    Ethics are non existent.

Advice to Service Master upper management please check your franchisees. They are destroying your brand by participating in activities that make a mockery of your Mission Statement.

Full time janitorial day porter

Current Employee - Day Porter  in  Pitcairn, PA
    Current Employee - Day Porter in Pitcairn, PA

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full time with benefits, "paid vacation", paid holidays. Worked at same location daily with set daylight hours. I worked here for over 2 years and the job itself was fairly good, but the management was severely lacking. I think I only had as good of an experience as I did because my interaction with management and the actual company was very limited.

Cons

Management doesn't do anything, "paid vacation" that they approve then don't pay you bc the have no recollection of it being approved, senior management writes employees up for requesting off even after it's been approved (they wrote someone up for taking bereavement). No accountability for workers, so if you're a hard worker, you will probably end up doing all the work while the rest slack off. Management doesn't care and is unqualified.

Have accountability for employees and require them to do their job. If you offer benefits and paid vacation, follow through with it and don't try to screw over the employee to save a few dollars. Employ management with actual leadership skills.

Worked for ServiceMaster? Contribute to the Community!