ServiceSource
www.servicesource.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

ServiceSource Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014
ServiceSource – Ireland – “ServiceSource - "The Chase" building”

ServiceSource Chairman & CEO Mike Smerklo

Mike Smerklo

Pros:
  • "Fun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment with lots of young and energetic people"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "A large portion of the employees underneath upper management are either inexperienced or incompetent"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Most of the jobs here don't have a huge amount of opportunity for career growth"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Internship

Social Media (Former Employee)
Springfield, VA

I worked at ServiceSource as an intern

ProsYou get to have your own office... no time standard... go home whenever you want to

Consmust be certified in direct support relations.

Fun work environment and company culture

Operations Services Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at ServiceSource full-time for less than a year

ProsFun work environment with lots of young and energetic people. Good company culture, great benefits, plenty of company events and parties.

ConsToo many people fresh out of college that give off a very "high school" drama or "frat house" party type feel. Pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales gets plenty of encouragement and recognition. If operations were treated with more respect and recognition, you might be able get more work and satisfaction out of them. Need to recognize the people that work harder not just the ones with higher numbers.

Less than Spectacular

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at ServiceSource full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back atmosphere and liked many of the people I worked with. This job did provide some experience that lead to other, better paying opportunities.

ConsManagement at my location was about a 6 on a scale of 10. The typical problem of promotions going to the political players and not those bringing top results. Turnover seemed high to me, indicating a lack of long-term commitment to employees that could very well be highly productive if kept onboard.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you may have a fantastic salary and receive very nice bonuses, the high turnover and continual retraining of those interacting with clients is being noticed by your customers. It is my opinion that your bonuses could be better if you treated your employees better, which could result in higher customer retention and improved revenues.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How a fun startup went from a place where coworkers respected each other to not.

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at ServiceSource full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a place where you gained sales experience in the tech industry.

ConsExecutives are discriminatory and not forthcoming, continually chipping away at the culture that had made it an attractive company for college graduates. They were openly hostile, demanding employees work unpaid overtime and threatened employment if employees did not willingly comply. They were also openly proud of the fact that they had frozen promotions and raises while in the same annual meeting speech saying "we are profiting in this economy".

The environment is a frat/sorority popularity contest and promotions are decided by peers. HR practices are incomplete, outdated and illegal.

The ultimate "it is what you make it" environment.

Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time for more than a year

ProsCareer growth opportunities. Heavy training emphasis on skills development. Provides a chance to be heard and make a significant difference with a company in the early stages of something big. Those who behave like owners will absolutely thrive at ServiceSource. Great downtown location with modern office facilities. This type of business puts a premium on problem solving and creativity.

ConsTechnologically immature but consistently improving. Fast pace can feel chaotic to some.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccentuate career path development and continued investment in people through specific training initiatives. Over communicate.

Good for College Grads, but All Depends on Which Company You're In...

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at ServiceSource full-time for less than a year

ProsServiceSource is a third-party sales company working with several big name tech, software, and healthcare companies... they essentially take some of the easy administrative and sales functions away from these company employees and pay spanking new graduates a hefty sum to do them. Most positions start in the mid- $30,000's in addition to bonuses and commissions. Many people do very well at ServiceSource for the amount of work that is actually done. It is a very laid back working environment; most days, employees are able to dress casually. You can get away with much more in these offices than at any other office I've ever worked in... Most people thought of these as 'Pros:' taking naps under your desk, cursing at the top of your lungs, lots and lots of office parties including alcohol. And the working hours are typical M-F business hours.

ConsYour experience really depends on which company you are working for. You need to understand that many of the employees you will interact with from the company are not happy that you are taking over part of their job. They can tell you are young and inexperienced, and they might be bitter. Next, all of your managers are very young. I say this is a bad thing because they really don't know what they're doing any more than you do. If you're the person with more professional job experience than your supervisor... let's just say it gets weird. I was bored most of the time, asking for more to do. For the first three months of employment, I did absolutely nothing. And you're basically a telemarketer. You get to wear a headset and follow a script, more or less.

Data Team Lead

Data Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to start a career after college! A talent person will have a chance for future career path.

ConsLow pay for the starter causes less experienced employees hired!

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment plan should be taken immediately if any strong person found!

Great place to work

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat working environment. Pretty laid back.

ConsPay is a bit low

A good place for someone who is looking for a job, not a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ServiceSource full-time

ProsBenefits were pretty good

There are advantages to the atmosphere; most employees were in their 20's

There are some skills and experiences you can take out of it

Can be a saving grace in a time of high unemployment, or if a recent college grad

Also, I worked with and met plenty of great, brilliant people, who deserve a lot better than they are getting from a company.

ConsBefore getting into details, the summary is that this is a dead end job with no advancement potential, crap pay, and if you think that the experience will help you down the road, you are kidding yourself. You can get everything you're going to get out of working here within 6 months.

The primary disadvantage of the atmosphere is that it is basically like being in high school all over again; from the immaturity, gossip, selfishness, and also the disregard upper management can have for the lower level employees.

Compensation is laughable. The point has been made that you can get paid twice as much or more doing the same thing for the companies that outsource ServiceSrouce, but beyond that is a bigger problem of segregation. The data teams and the sales teams are not treated equally. Higher salary, better bonuses, recognition, as well as quarterly trips for the top sales reps, but not for data (or I guess they call it enablement now).

In some cases, this could be seen as justified, because not all accounts are created equal. Data on one team could be a very simple job with a very light workload, while you have messy teams where data does most of the heavy lifting to make it possible for reps to renew contracts (which honestly, it like sales on training wheels). Due to the company structure, it is impossible to adequately address this problem because the structure assumes that all accounts are more or less the same, because you can't have such low hiring standards and high turnover if you're trying to create a legitimate, contextual organizational structure.

And that touches on a lot of the other major cons. Due to the high turnover and periodic expansion, hiring practices often dip to the same level as retail or the food industry, which creates a tension against SREV's attempt to create a loose but still professional atmosphere.

Another big problem is the business model is basically, "if you're a huge tech company, we will be your lap dog," that each team is entirely too malleable to the demands of the company they have the account with, as unreasonable as they may be.

It all boils down to it not being a serious employment opportunity, but just a job. It worked out better a few years back when the work atmosphere didn't take itself as seriously. In 99% of cases, this is a job that has no room for growth or advancement, or potential for edifying work, and as the company continues to re-org, take itself more seriously, and reposition (now a 'software' company), the struggles will continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray that attempts to reposition ServiceSource into a software company specializing in contract renewals doesn't bomb or take a look in the mirror and accept what your company really is. You're not fooling your employees or your shareholders.

Good opportunity if you want to succeed

I have been working at ServiceSource

ProsSolid experience to be gained

ConsChurn is high, but getting better

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for ServiceSource? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ServiceSource reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ServiceSource CEO Mike Smerklo. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by ServiceSource employees.