ServiceSource

www.servicesource.com

ServiceSource Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
ServiceSource – Ireland – “ServiceSource - "The Chase" building”

ServiceSource Chairman & CEO Mike Smerklo

Mike Smerklo

Pros
  • Fun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career(in 15 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career and gives you insight into several different companies(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • A large portion of the employees underneath upper management are either inexperienced or incompetent(in 6 reviews)

• Lots of drama within work place, very cliquey, feels like high school(in 5 reviews)

ServiceSource is a fun, open minded, challenging company that could improve in employee communication and expectation.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsDecent benefits, hours are stable (sometimes requiring overtime), & pay is good for a stepping stone job. Great team atmosphere, often having outings, and other group exercises to create more team oriented environment. Proactively solving problems is rewarded with praise and other more 'real' incentives (gift cards, PTO, etc).

ConsDue to limited number of management opportunities, not really a career job. Because it is a younger company, there is more inexperience at management and cohort levels. Job expectations can sometimes vary widely and unexpectedly, albeit remaining fairly reasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement procrastinates on communicating important information to employees, which can be quite frustrating. More open communication on expectations, org changes, etc. would be a HUGE help.

Avoid at all costs

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are some great talent in the company

ConsNo long term strategy in place. The SaaS product is not there yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the board : a due dilligence is recommended

Mindnumbing work, no advancement, poor management, and inadequate communication

Operations Services Specialist (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBenefits
    Young Culture
    Downtown Nashville

My coworkers are great. Everyone here is college educated and very fun to be around, but often don't get treated with the amount of respect and appreciation that they deserve.

ConsSalary (especially for Operations Services, which pales in comparison to sales)
    Little motivation (especially for Operations Services; hint...a "gold star" only works for Kindergarteners; we need tangible motivation)

The stratification between not only Sales and Operations, but also between different Operations teams is outrageous. You sometimes feel as if you are on an island, both in terms of pay as well as in terms of the tasks and objectives you are asked to achieve. There is very little in the way of professional guidance, and though the company claims to invest in its employees and their careers, it mostly pertains to the Sales side of things. In Ops, you get the feeling you are very much the redheaded stepchild of the company. They are trying to change this, but apparently it hasn't been very effective so far as we've seen no trickle down effect.

The bottom line when it comes to managerial and most of the communication problems I've seen is that there is no desire and no push to really understand and care what the issues are. As long as money is being made, it seems that the attitude is everyone is happy and kosher, when in reality, most folks are here until they can find something better, or until they can't stand it anymore. The job market's poor performance right now is the reason so many great folks stay at ServiceSource.

Again, this comes from one person, but I've heard many of these sentiments expressed by others on my team.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more. Don't bro around about things. Just because the majority of us are young and might be slightly less experienced does not mean that we don't notice things. We live in a world now where as young people, we must be very analytical about the things that are occurring around us and trust me, people do notice themselves being taken advantage of.

Also, give employees opportunities to critique their team leads and managers. It seems as though we are always at fault for things and in order to have a proper flow of communication we need to be able to send the flow of correction in both directions. There are currently no documents or processes for us to give our opinion on certain management practices.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career. Upper management is good about listening to employees. They work hard to create a social environment.

ConsManagers tend to micromanage. Very high expectations of all employees. This is not a job where you can just "coast by".

Great people, great environment

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsServicesource is a fast-growing company that has a young environment of bright individuals. Management keeps things casual which contributes to the happiness of its employees.

ConsMost people find few opportunities to move into higher positions of management which makes it difficult to forecast a 5 or 10-year career path. Base-level positions offer salaries that are not in line with the salaries offered by competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities to move up and excel.

Unprofessional

Operational Specialist (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOn the Job Training, decent pay, flexibility. The atmosphere is young and fun, benefits are supreme to most companies along with PTO.

ConsThe professionalism of the managers is a revolving door, that is only applied at the managers discretion. And the only way to get promoted is the use of flattering words and not of ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your individual contributors and give credit to those who have earned it.

Great place to receive sales/sales manager training and experience

Team Lead (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Pros- Very fair pay for entry-level position
    - Fun/casual work atmosphere
    - Good sales training program

Cons- There is a pretty big disconnection from lower/mid-management to the executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo lower/mid management: Keep up the great work. I really felt like you all had the best interest of your workers at heart.

To the executives: Don't just pretend that you are interested in the daily lives/activities of the reps and support staff, actually get your hands dirty!

Internship

Social Media (Former Employee) Springfield, VA

ProsYou get to have your own office... no time standard... go home whenever you want to

Consmust be certified in direct support relations.

Fun work environment and company culture

Operations Services Specialist (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFun work environment with lots of young and energetic people. Good company culture, great benefits, plenty of company events and parties.

ConsToo many people fresh out of college that give off a very "high school" drama or "frat house" party type feel. Pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales gets plenty of encouragement and recognition. If operations were treated with more respect and recognition, you might be able get more work and satisfaction out of them. Need to recognize the people that work harder not just the ones with higher numbers.

Less than Spectacular

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back atmosphere and liked many of the people I worked with. This job did provide some experience that lead to other, better paying opportunities.

ConsManagement at my location was about a 6 on a scale of 10. The typical problem of promotions going to the political players and not those bringing top results. Turnover seemed high to me, indicating a lack of long-term commitment to employees that could very well be highly productive if kept onboard.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you may have a fantastic salary and receive very nice bonuses, the high turnover and continual retraining of those interacting with clients is being noticed by your customers. It is my opinion that your bonuses could be better if you treated your employees better, which could result in higher customer retention and improved revenues.

Worked for ServiceSource? Contribute to the Community!