ServiceSource

Updated November 19, 2014
2.7

ServiceSource CEO Chris Carrington
Chris Carrington

Pros
  • Very young and high-energy work environment (in 18 reviews)

• A good place to start your career (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear vision of future (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of drama within work place, very cliquey, feels like high school (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Rep experience good.

Current Employee - Sales Account Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Account Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Consistent work flow. EOQ busy, but for the most part not very stressful. Hands off management for the most part. Very casual environment. Wear nearly whatever you want to work.

Cons

Poor pay. Difficult to be promoted. Some sales teams much more challenging than others. Monotonous type of work.

Create more involvement and sales coaching. Less forecasting reports which were inaccurate anyhow.

View from a corporate role

Former Employee - Technical Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Management in Denver, CO

I worked at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally nice, competent people. Core business model is strong. Comp is good. Location is good.

Cons

Slow decision-making, most done at top level rather than pushed down. Many areas with poor process and lack of willingness to change. Most of existing executive management team has fully swapped out in the past year.

Push down decision making. Set a strategy and stick with it--give it a chance to succeed.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible time off, great work life balance

Cons

Location isn't the great. Pay is lower than industry standards.

More room for advancement

Sales Rep

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Entry level job out of college, lots of PTO

Cons

Management does not reward on performance...they reward who manager likes most. The managers also have little direct knowledge of the Sales Reps day to day, and more report numbers up the chain. When I really try to think what the managers do actually do, nothing comes to mind except relaying numbers that we give them. Overall communication between managers and team is a joke....look at the companies stock

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Cloud and Data Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cloud and Data Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Senior Management requires a revamp

Inside Sales Representative

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are wonderful and young, you will find friends here

Cons

Pay is not as high as you would want and Quotas can make or break your pockets

OK place to Work! Smart people Around!!

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time

Pros

Good Salary, Lot of work since it is a small company!

Cons

Vision is unclear to employees :( Things are in limbo for long.

Good company, people, space and salary

Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ServiceSource as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

people are just nice and smart, you wont need any extra energy to get into this community.

Cons

nothing bad here so far

Sinking Ship, Bail Now

Former Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great place when we went public and were spending investors' money like drunken sailors... (Remember the Friday Keggers?). ServiceSource when Mike was running the company.

Cons

Heading in the wrong direction. Mike knew the business. He got distracted by fancy shmancy SAAS business models and he lost control. He wasn't helped by an incompetent team around him. It's too bad he was pushed out while the real problem got promoted to CEO. She goes from running the finance department that led the company to the brink of financial ruin to managing the whole thing. Only operating experience she has is her surf camp where she spends most of her time.

New CFO. Wow. He ran QLogic into the ground before he was forced to resign. So now I guess he is going to implement financial discipline and forecasts?

Blind leading the blind.

Now the constant re-orgs and layoffs and restructuring and sense of paranoia is not helpful.

Management needs to let us do what we know how to do and that's close deals. But now that I'm laid off and everyone else is heading for the hills or on the chopping block I guess that ain't gonna happen.

Extreme growth as an employee-no interest in rewarding above and beyond employees

Former Employee - Sales Manager II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager II in Denver, CO

I worked at ServiceSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multiple opportunities to grow in several areas of sales and management. Busy all the time. A handful of talented people surrounded by lackluster leeches who get by based on friendships with their drinking buddies. Several verticals of business. Exposure to tech, software, SaaS and IT. Mingle with high level decision makers from fortune 500 companies who outsource SSI.

Cons

I wanted SSI to be a lifelong career. Loved it at first. Got my sales chops and moved through multiple layers of management. The big issue is lip service. There was a point where I was doing more than any manager at my level. It was the nature of the account. While racking up 60 hours a week, my peers were navigating Facebook and leaving early. Although it was "recognized" that I was going above and beyond-I couldn't ever get promoted until the next review period which was always conveniently 10 months away. If they really appreciated like they said, they would have put their money where their mouth was. Also, the company did a true up to get sales reps up to industry standard of compensation. However, they didn't move up the managers who often work the most and end up making less than reps. Instead of finding ways to compensate reps for performance under new plan-Directors discuss ways to get out of compensating reps what they earn because the budget doesn't support the hike in compensation-forcing managers to have those conversations. Lastly, it is very boardroom heavy. The C level execs sit in their oak walled rooms in San Francisco and are too good to come into the sales floor. They make all of their decisions based on data/presentations from the VP/Directors. Often these decisions have failed and put the company in a bad position.

Be more proactive to promote. Don't just say you will and let someone roast until the review cycle. Especially someone who is willing to take on the heavy workload and stay the long haul. C levels should be cleaned out and replaced with more proactive, hard workers who don't mind getting their hands dirty. That is what will save the company from losing customers by the hour.