ServiceSource

Updated December 18, 2014
2.7

ServiceSource CEO Chris Carrington
Chris Carrington

Pros
  • Fun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career (in 18 reviews)

• A good place to start your career (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear vision of future (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of drama within work place, very cliquey, feels like high school (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good environment and professional

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment and professionalism, Training and company values are really good

Cons

Competitive markets to work on

Work-life balance has to be reviewed

Good company, people, space and salary

Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ServiceSource as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

people are just nice and smart, you wont need any extra energy to get into this community.

Cons

nothing bad here so far

Nashville Sales Center

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work and grow

Cons

need to set a clear vision

A great first job where you can practice your office skills

Current Employee - Operations Services Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Services Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You really get a sense of how a large office runs. I had seen the movies and talked to my parents, but actually being a cog in a large machine was a totally new experience. It was a great first job where I got to experience teamwork and handle quotas. There is a big difference between working for a school grade and working for a paycheck and I am very happy that ServiceSource was my first job. It is the classic cubicle environment, complete with supervisors and managers and cheesy 'inspirational' monthly meetings, but it was a great place to start out. Also, being that ServiceSource is conscious of what it is (a first job), it went smoothly when I left. I came, I trained, I got experience, and then I moved on.

Cons

I'm pretty sure it is like this for all large cubicle environments, but it was a bit high school-ish in the drama that sometimes arose. But again, as this was many people's first job, perhaps a bit of immaturity was to be expected. Managers are very good at handling the groups and I never saw anything get truly crazy.

There is little room for job advancement. You are a cog. You can get promoted to a senior cog, and then even a supervisor cog, but that's it.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Success based partly on dumb luck but predominantly on what you make of it.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Predominantly a young environment both in terms of the company itself and the people who work there. There has been a noticeable shift in the past 18 months to focus again on the people who work there in terms of both their personal and professional development. The office is clean and new, there is a great friendly atmosphere within the company.

There is ample room for professional development within the company, however this can be really a mix of deserving it and being in the right place at the right time. The split of management seems to be 80% those who are appropriate for the position and 20% those who aren't. This has been addressed in recent months however with management "qualifications" where people need to have the necessary skills to retain their roles in middle-management positions. There are numerous people however who aren't in management positions who would be extremely successful, but their abilities to promote themselves internally is their downfall.

There are so many internal client teams which means people can get experience across not only different roles but different companies.

The atmosphere in the office is an enjoyable one, most people strive to better themselves and work as part of a team. There is a huge cultural variance particularly in the EMEA offices which gives people substantial experience in dealing with different cultures. Probably the most enjoyable part of the company in a personal context is the people employed there.

The people who are most likely to succeed in this environment are young, intelligent, adaptive people who are willing to not only get on with their job, but seek out additional projects and experiences internally. If you want to work an easy, not committal 9-5 job, this isn't the place for you.

Some people may complain about the job, particularly those working in sales in terms of their target and job stress. With the exception of a few isolated cases, the way the sales team is treated in terms of remuneration, respect, and the ease of the job is far better than the majority of sales people in a similar role in a lot of comparable companies.

Cons

When the pressure is on in terms of hitting a sales number there can be a noticeable attitude shift in terms of "we love our employees", this is particularly evident in terms of working hours and availability of holidays.

Depending on the team, some can have extremely long working hours coming towards the end of a quarter where, while one is not forced to work extra hours, you won't do yourself any favours in terms of professional development to go against the grain and insist on leaving on time.

Compensation is probably on the reserved side of the market average but I'd honestly prefer doing what I love and getting slightly less than I want, rather than doing what I hate for a lot of money.

Continue listening to your employees - strategy should not only be top-down, it's the people doing the actual jobs who are likely to give you the best ideas - it's evident that the employees are being listened to and I'd suggest keeping it up.

Continue all the people related initiatives, the positive attitude and atmosphere shift in the past 18 months has been substantial.

The ultimate "it is what you make it" environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career growth opportunities. Heavy training emphasis on skills development. Provides a chance to be heard and make a significant difference with a company in the early stages of something big. Those who behave like owners will absolutely thrive at ServiceSource. Great downtown location with modern office facilities. This type of business puts a premium on problem solving and creativity.

Cons

Technologically immature but consistently improving. Fast pace can feel chaotic to some.

Accentuate career path development and continued investment in people through specific training initiatives. Over communicate.

Right Company for Career Progression -

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in a several organisations as a sales rep - I do not think there is a better one to advance your career.
    Investment in training and coaching. After being successfull as a rep, I was promoted to Sales Manager and was given comprensive training to perform in my new role
    Very Challenging as outsourcing but much more meaningfull experience because of this
    Engaging environment (employees get together, Culture club)

Cons

IT is not good. We are not given the tools to do our jobs well
    Limited Vacations
    Client comes first - which is good but sometimes at the expense of people (although less now)

Seems like a different company this year. I really believe in the new vision.
    Continue to engage employees and focus on coaching

Focus on Sales Career Development

Current Employee - Account Sales Representative in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Account Sales Representative in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Engaging, Fun, Multi-Cultural
    Focus on Sales Development - different type of accounts, different type of sales for different experience levels. Training and Coaching
    Great for CV as large number of high profile clients: Microsoft, SAP, Dell, Google, VMware
    Open to change, quick pace, senior management open to listen

Cons

Very few holidays
    Sometimes very intensive cadence
    Too worried about the clients: everytime a client ask for something, every

We can feel you want to change the organisation.
    Continue to communicate and ask for employee's opinion and help us with our development plan

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ServiceSource is a growing company with a solid business model. It's a performance-oriented environment, with a substantial quarterly bonus for meeting a sales quota. The culture is fun, youthful, and individual teams are often very tight-knit. It is a great place for college graduates or those with limited experience who want to get start in a sales-related career.

Cons

Due to the company being young, and only public for a few years, along with the entry level nature of the job, there is a fair amount of turnover. This can lead to inexperienced low-level management and/or disorganization. Also, without performance bonuses of the Sales position, the base salary is certainly nothing to write home about (although benefits are fairly generous).

Great Place to Start a Career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, awesome people to work with, advancement opportunities are there if you seek them, learning opportunities are there if you seek them.

Cons

Starting wage is somewhat low but still easy to live on, especially if you include bonuses; you end up doing much better than an average retail worker.

Keep doing what you are doing!