ServiceSource

www.servicesource.com

ServiceSource Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
ServiceSource – Ireland – “ServiceSource - "The Chase" building”

ServiceSource Chairman & CEO Mike Smerklo

Mike Smerklo

Pros
  • Fun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career(in 15 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career and gives you insight into several different companies(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • A large portion of the employees underneath upper management are either inexperienced or incompetent(in 6 reviews)

• Lots of drama within work place, very cliquey, feels like high school(in 5 reviews)

Deteriorated

Analyst (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsEnjoyed the work for most parts. Worked with people I still admire and respect. Was rewarded generously for my work, and had lots of fun along the way. Left with many good memories.

ConsUpper management completely clueless, made too many questionable decisions, including questionable hirings at the top levels. This led to lack of direction from the top, or when there were directions, they were often wrong ones.
    Many brilliant, talented individuals were left with little choice but to leave. This, coupled with poor quality of new hires, have sustained a vicious cycle of talent impoverishment at the top level.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to board and shareholders: the entire upper management team should be removed.

Mediocre at best... and that's being nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Nice insurance benefit package.

-Easy to get to via MUNI and/or Bart.

Cons-The CEO is no where to be seen or heard from. Even in the HQ with him around the corner, you might hear from him once a quarter via email with promises of communication and information. But nothing. Empty words about the importance of 'employee retention' and 'winning as a team' yet nothing to back it up.

-Employees do what they want. No accountability or self responsibility for simple things like picking up spilled food or throwing away empty food containers. A mentality of it's someone else's problem.

-Lunch is brought in on Wednesdays with is nice, but unfortunately, many people do not understand the concept that other people are eating that food too. People will PILE on multiple plates and even bring Tupperware with them right when lunch is served. Food often runs out very quickly and many people don't get to enjoy it.

-In an effort to attract top engineers, management has begun making a poor effort to establish a "Google type culture" which includes an thin array of free snacks, cheap alcohol, lunch on Tuesdays and a chair masseur every other week. This may sound like a nice idea except that these 'perks' are only for the engineering teams. As you can image this has created some animosity with other departments and a caste system. "We value these people more than you" is how it seems to translate. Which is completely accurate.

-Culture is non-existent.

-Near AT&T Park which creates some challenges if you're driving in and parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

The company is (was?) growing so rapidly they are (were?) struggling to hire people on fast enough and it became a quantity vs quality situation. A problem with this is that they were hiring people who were unqualified for their roles and unable execute them (to no fault of their own really). Growth and learning is part of moving up a career ladder but I think the failure comes from lack of leadership and proper training or guidance.

When I first started in 2012, ServiceSource had just finished a restructuring, had a mini one in the middle of my time there and was wrapping up a THIRD when I left. So essentially 3 restructurings in 2 years. Not good.

A combination of lay offs and people quitting but lots of people leaving at a rapid pace. Whether on their own or by choice... still not a good sign.

They want to sell it as a "startup" but it is not. They are a public company that is over 10 years old and that is run by a bunch of conservative men.

All in all... this company needs strong leaders.

What A Nightmare

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Prosi want to tell you the starting pay is good. but only if you have no life to enjoy and ok with long, extended no pay overtime (sometimes weekends).

ConsUnethical company culture. Your coworker will bully, back-stab, lie to get their way around, and try to be popular by sweet talk to the bosses/the bosses' favorites . While the actual hardworking ones are taking most of the workload for the team because the bullies are too busy not doing their jobs. Manager doesn't seem to be bothered by the uneven workload. Making inappropriate jokes are the delight of the day for those managers, too.

Some team manager talk about “professionalism” all the time. While hitting on girls he is managing (even frequent physically touching each other at work place when the whole team is in presence).

If you don’t enjoy social drinking, smoking, expect to be excluded by the popular ones.

You will think yourself back at high school. Popularity is everything, it decides if you get to go to the quarterly trip, if you get taken out for some business dinner, and of course your promotion and if you get to keep the job. You manager doesn't like you? You get yelled at in front of the whole office and “special private talks” all the time.

Don’t try to complain. HR is on the manager’s side, they treat you like you are the company’s enemy if you complain. Together your manager and HR will threat you with your job, bonus, your employment record, and your references.

Most people stay because they can’t find similar job with their qualification or can’t risk their family without income for 1 or 2 month.

There are many jobs out there actually respect you and pay you at the same time. Don't get tricked by the "friendly and family like office" impression they try to show you at the interviews. People’s integrity is suppose to be priceless. (certainly this is not true for some in ServiceSource). If ever I wish did something different with this job, is to check the negative reviews here before I went in for the interview, and simply call them and say "no thanks, i read those reviews".

Advice to Senior Managementdon't think too much of yourselves, having people work for you doesn't mean you own their lives. be truly kind and give respect, stop being hypocrites- or your employees only get disgusted when they find out your true color.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful management and company values are not adhered to

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFor for recent secondary school graduates who wish to start a career in sales

Decent office and location (near Luas line)

ConsManagement treat you like a school children regardless of your age, qualifications and previous experience

Servicesource management is very sensitive to any constructive criticism and don't take any good ideas on board. They rather re-invent the wheel by themselves with no relevant know-how and without asking any questions from people with relevant skills and knowledge.

They are not generally bothered about the most talented and intelligent people leaving the company.
    No effort is made in order to fix issues that force / encourage them to leave in the first place.
    Instead they rather promote some lower calibre applicants who have 'the desired attitude' ; willingness to lick some butt and never disagree with the awful management decisions.

Forget about having a life during any month end, quarter end and year end. Often you are forced to work 14 hours without any extra pay or time in lieu. Especially forget about been able to spend christmas with your family (if your parents and siblings don't reside in Ireland) as you will never get the time off. Other multinationals I have worked in, this has never been a problem.

Also, people are forced to come into work when sick and sick notes are often asked from the first day off sickness regardless of if you have excellent attendance record and have never called in sick previously.
    Some people have also been forced to come into work when sick (with a doctors note and strict orders to stay in bed) or work from hospital bed, sometimes from home. The very bad inhumane treatment of staff is rampant, they don't care about the health and wellbeing of the staff. Making money is more important.

By reading some previous (negative) reviews which I agree 100% and the CEO's decision not to agree with any of the critical comments made proves that this is not a good environment to be working in.
    Too many talented people end up leaving simply because the management attitude is terrible and the company values are not adhered to.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some ethics and start treating people with respect

Going downhill fast

ProsYoung vibrant working environment. Lots of alcohol. Great location

ConsPay is low. As previously mentioned, bonuses have been altered. Sales persons are not able to reach bonus payments and managers have said that will continue till dec. spiffs are not payed out to the right people. Saas is a hoax and is not working. Clients are pulling out. Long working hours. Toilet breaks only during lunch or before start of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop employing call centre managers who only know to micro manage. Brilliant sales managers should be retained and not driven out. Stop fixing things when they are no broken.

Slave Labour Practices

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWhatever benefits they claim to offer you, please take a step further and verify them in details for the whole story is a deceit. Not all employees have the same benefits for the exact same role.

Employees that are cherished by the management (meaning, those ready to take on any dirty job: bullying, verbal and emotional abuse on protected minorities, documents and clients reports falsification, harassment duties etc...) get the full package of the good stuff and even more....

If you happen to be on the other side, forget about it. Even if you are offered some benefits, you will not be allowed to enjoy it as you will be "Living at work". They will keep you so busy and obedient with intimidation that you will forget that life has better to offer. Don't believe me ? Give it a try :-)

Other than that, you get a paycheck. I guess it's a "pro".

Cons- I WORKED IN THIS COMPANY FOR ALMOST 03 YEARS WITHOUT VACATION!! Yes, that's correct. No Vacation at all. After I left, they told me " ServiceSource" does not offer vacation. Only "PTOs" ! Complete LIE since their favorites are allowed to take more than 2 weeks vacation a year and come back refreshed to tell about the good time they had. For my part, even after 2 days of PTO, I must expect to be treated as a "dirt" as if I was guilty of work abandonment.

- UNREASONABLE WORK LOAD AND HOURS: If you belong to a minority group and have no "protector" or "are not willing to take on the dirty jobs" , they will " make you work you to DEATH". You will be assigned the jobs of 2-3 people and be measured on much severe metrics than others. It's all about "FRAT" system out there.., "cult type of environment" ... and trust me , they will try to control you as if you were their property.

- FORGET about INTEGRITY AND PROFESSIONALISM: The reports are what the manager want it to look like. If you insist on accuracy, you will have a "red flag" on your head. So, please do not get into the "ILLUSION" of a "MERIT SYSTEM". If one senior manager wants his "cousin" to get the next promotion, he won't mind having 4 people assist him in his duties so he can "beat your metrics".

- FALSIFICATIONS: If you're already "in" , double check your paystubs, W2s, 401k, Stock Plans. You might have a HUGE DIRTY SURPRISE waiting for you there!!! Mines were falsified. I found out after I left and I'm still fighting to get the records fixed.

- NO WORK ETHICS: The best and faster way to advance in this company is to either be an "Hypocrite" or a "Bully". The first option is when you play "Cool" with your peers and "Back-stab" them with your manager. He will reward you with "a promotion" because you keep his enemies (Those who represent a threat because of their leadership or technical skills).

The second option is to be a "Brute": Yelling on co-workers, humiliating your opponents, sabotage, intimidation ... In this case you will also move fast because they will promote you by fear of becoming your next victim.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success of a company is not just measured by the "Numbers" on a financial statement. Count how many lives you've built and how many you've destroyed or are slowly destroying.

If you are a senior manager of this company, you can expect "JUSTICE" to be done one day. Once people start to see beyond your nice "Suit" and realize the person behind doesn't really care, then their whole perspective will start to change and your speeches will become meaningless....if they are not already!

Poor management and huge workloads for minimal pay

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThere was once a fair amount of pros. Currently, the only pro is not working weekends; some teams have you work Saturday.

ConsMandatory overtime; carrot-on-stick motivation; not family friendly; claims sales, but actually PO chasers; demeaning management.

The Q114 earning report came out and then the quota for all teams globally went up by 15%. Coincidentally, only 10% of the sales population got a commission check. If you like living just above the poverty threshold, working 10hrs a day (without lunch), and are an alcoholic, this is your place!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that don't live with their parents, hire managers that have sales experience, hire directors (married) that don't hit on the female staff, and start investing in actual training. Online training is not training. If you over work people and do not pay them, you will lose the employees.

Used to be great to work there

Anonymous (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsUsed to be a fun work environment, young staff environment, progressive, good benefits, lots of interesting people. located downtown off the light rail. nice location

Consinconsistent managers who don't understand the business or cannot communicate. sometimes it's like working in a frat house. space is running out so they rearrange and cram you wherever they can. They've made so many changes to the business that it may not have been the best idea. Nothing is standardized and when you leave you're not clear what your skills there translate into.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining management needs to be standardized. No one has the same management style and expectations vary from person to person. Communication needs improvement.

It was a Great place to work at until the last year

Facilities Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood Company somewhat need to hold on to good employee

ConsDid not believe in employee's

Great work environment and flexibility but long hours for low pay.

Solution Design (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFlexibility - working remotely is allowed at certain times. This place has a fast paced environment with great people. It is a great place to start your career and gives you insight into several different companies.

ConsWork hours can be long, so work-life balance goes out to the door when something needs to be done ontime. The amount of work required is not equal to the amount of time and effort that you provide

Advice to Senior ManagementPay to keep your good employees, or they'll end up somewhere else!

Worked for ServiceSource? Contribute to the Community!