ServiceSource

Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

ServiceSource CEO Chris Carrington
Chris Carrington

Pros
  • Fun work environment, professional development opportunities, great place to grow your career (in 18 reviews)

• A good place to start your career (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear vision of future (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of drama within work place, very cliquey, feels like high school (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a laid back culture that wants to promote growth of its employees. Compensation is fair.

Cons

There is a large disconnect between management at all levels and the reps. Company tends to seem to want to hire less than stellar talent and teach them the ways. Most reps think this is nothing more than an extension of their last college course instead of a job they should take serious.

Realize that you have true talent within the walls of the company that should be leveraged vs trying to fit everyone into the same mold

Great

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary, stability, benefits, work location, and co-workers

Cons

Management should cross train their employees.

Lots of market potential but poor execution, weak executive team & boring work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The market potential is amazing.
    Engineering & Product Management Teams are getting the SaaS product on the right path.
    Company delivers real result for the who's who in the tech industry.

Cons

Execs don't know how to run software company.
    Lots of executive in-fighting & politics.
    Sales & Marketing fight rather than collaborate.
    Talk the talk but don't walk the walk regarding core values. (HR is non-existent)
    Employees don't feel valued at all.
    Horribly boring work environment in San Francisco.
    Company missed earnings and now is reeling with the stock at a 52 wk low & bonuses highly unlikely - lots of people are leaving.

Stop talking about valuing your employees and start showing it!
    Get your act together as an Executive team.
    Figure out how to SELL!!

Going downhill at a rapid pace

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance
    - Office Culture is young and fun
    - Most teams Drink together on Friday's from 4 - 5.
    - Great Healthcare benefits, vision & Dental

Cons

Last year the company got rid of an entire level of management in the company. It used to be Sales Rep, Senior Sales Rep, Team Lead, Account Manager, etc.

Now its Sales Rep, Senior Sales rep, Sales Manager. This means there are a LOT more people fighting for a LOT fewer management roles. They have come up with a management training program called Emerging Leaders. If you do not get accepted as one of the 15 people every 6 months, then your possibility of moving from a Senior Rep position to a Sales Manager position is almost 0%. Every 6 months you can try again, but like I said, there are now about 150 Senior Reps, fighting for every single Sales Manager opening.

They will tell you there are other paths to take in your career, which is true, but everything is limited. The company also believes when hiring management roles, that 50% promote from within matches well with 50% outside hire.

Base salary has gone up over the last year for the entire company, but is still on the low end to be competitive in the industry. They have also raised potential bonuses, but made them harder to achieve. on average, 2 of 7 people on my team hit over 100% of quota per quarter.

Stop micro-managing. If you believe in someone enough to hire them, then you should believe them capable to DO THEIR JOB without you hovering over their shoulder at every turn.

Bring back another level of management, or else actually open up more paths for your Senior Sales Reps to take.

Not bad, but could be better

Current Employee - Operations Services Senior Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Services Senior Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, you can leave work at work when you're done for the day, there are frequent opportunities to advance your career via training, etc.

Cons

Pay is still lacking- they intentionally work through temp agencies and delay converting those people to direct hires in order to keep overhead low. Focusing on recent college grads also keeps the costs down because as a recent grad, the impending debt repayment coerces someone into taking the job for highly mediocre pay. Raises are few and far between; promotion tracks aren't clearly defined; leadership can be weak; the company doesn't focus on hiring good workers, only cheap workers; etc.

Work on hiring GOOD employees, not cheap employees. Encourage the promotion of people that excel in their position instead of passing them by in favor of less qualified, but more vocal employees- work to find the right choice, stop being lazy!

Bursting at the seams

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401K, competitive salaries in some roles, health insurance and gym membership benefits

Cons

Company preaches employee retention as it's core value. People with 7 years of tenure are getting laid off, without any effort on the company's side to retain them.

Drink your own CoolAid

Inside Sales

I worked at ServiceSource full-time

Pros

Fun, young environment, great starter job

Cons

Lack of upward mobility and growth, some teams have no idea what's going on.

Good for inital career growth, bad for management, get stuck at certain level

I worked at ServiceSource full-time

Pros

Culture, initial promotions, sales bonus potential earnings and sales awards

Cons

Get stuck after a couple of promotions and end up doing the same thing forever

Listen to employees before transforming the company for revenues

Aimless direction but marvelous experience that launched me to the next step

Former Employee - Sales Manager II in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager II in Nashville, TN

I worked at ServiceSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was promoted each year I was there. Got experiences that even my peers didn't get to experience. International implementation and training. Great people. Transparent internally (not at the C Level) Room to own and innovate if you want it. If you want to go unnoticed you can do that too. My experiences launched me into my next career which was a amazing step forward. I miss the people.

Cons

As I said above, I got to do marvelous things. The only problem is that those experiences didn't translate into alternate career path. No matter what I did, I was told that my experiences were guiding me to 2nd line management when really I wanted to continue implementing and training. That made it hard to invest when I knew the next level would make me miserable.

C Level heavy. The VPs work their tails off to make it happen but the C Levels kill it. They are Wall Street babysitters trying to keep it a float long enough to get purchased. They sit behind closed doors and are afraid to get their hands dirty. This caused them to make irrational decisions based on MBA colored glasses and not awareness of what the sales team actually does.

Invested resources into new software and not into people which caused a digression in development and sales savvy.

Teach how to sell. Abandon process heaviness. Fight for managers who recognize talents that exceed the next step and open up career path.

C-Levels need to open the door and get off the yacht and learn how the business works. Help your VP's execute the vision they know is best and have been preaching. They know best.

Laid back work environment. Good job for recent grads.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at ServiceSource full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young environment. Lots of flexibility on hours. Decent bonuses

Cons

Way too much micro-management. SREV preaches being your own boss, but calls are closely monitored several times daily and there are too many meetings and updates about your territory required by management.

If employee's are succeeding, let them keep doing what they're doing. No need to try to fix what isn't broken.