Servio

3.5

Alex Edelstein

Great Team and Product

I worked at Servio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am no longer with Servio, but parted ways amicably. The CEO and board went out of their way to treat me fairly when I left, and I still keep in touch with many of the friends I made there. To me that says more than anything else. Any tech startup is going to have its drama and personalities, but at the core, the company has an amazing team, and killer product that does many things no other competitor can match.

Cons

The company was extremely dynamic when I was there--though no worse than the typical startup. Some people thrive on that, but it can be frustrating if you're not used to it.

The culture was really starting to gel when I left. Keep doing the things you were doing then to build it, and continue to bring in great people.

It's tough when the money runs out

I worked at Servio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good leadership
    Decent environment. Very performance-driven and meritorcratic. No politics. If you didn't meet quota, you got fired.

Cons

Product didn't generate enough revenue and the money dried up. That led to unfun layoffs and poor morale.

Needed a sales VP who was less divisive. CEO tried hard, but product just didn't meet a big enough market need.

Great potential ruined by bad apples!

I worked at Servio full-time

Pros

Great technology built by rock star tech team and implemented by a lean and intelligent operations team. Amazing list of clients.

Cons

Poor CEO leadership with bad funds management. Sales team always influx due to horriable and corrosive sales leadership. The top leadership and talent have vacated the building. The remaining leadership is nothing but the bottom of the barrel.

Supportive culture and good people are key to success, a far cry from what remains.

Awful experience all around

I worked at Servio

Pros

Young culture at the individual contributor level.
    Plenty of snacks (healthy and not) in the kitchen.
    great location near ballpark and South Park.

Cons

Moral is incredibly low.
    Mismanagement after a good 2012 completely tanked the company, and they let go of a lot of talented people, and many others left on their own accord due to the turmoil.
    Teams were always pitted against each other, resulting in distrust and terrible working relationships.
    Product is not as advertised.

Grow up, or bring in experienced leaders

A Very Inspirational Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Servio as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

CTO was great, the team was very encouraging. Hard work was expected, and gladly given. They provided an environment where I could learn as quickly as I could, if I gave it the effort.

Cons

Most of the engineers work through lunch.

Incredibly disappointing. I found only dysfunction and personality disorders.

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Servio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They bought lunch once a week. Got to work in SF. The staff is largely composed of the best of the best.

Cons

If you are looking for a supportive environment for your creative energies - stop. Commissions were threatened not to be paid to key sales staff because the deals were "too big." Most client projects end in over promising and under delivering due to a fundamental lack of scale in the virtual workforce. The sales department is managed by manipulation and intimidation. Departments and staff are pitted against each other.

Learn management skills

Interesting product no direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Servio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent pay, friendly environment among peers, a juicer, and free lunches - on Mondays.

Cons

No leadership, unprofessional environment, not a sales friendly environment, and constant infighting.

Improve leadership skills, learn how to speak to other humans professionally, and do some soul searching.

My Work Family

Current Employee - No Title, Man That's for Squares in Pyongyang (North Korea)
    Current Employee - No Title, Man That's for Squares in Pyongyang (North Korea)

I have been working at Servio as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I'm part of Servio's virtual workforce, so I don't have much insight into whatever might be going on in the office. Those free lunches sound pretty cool though.

Working with Servio admins is rewarding and frustrating by turns. How many jobs have you had where the workers' chief complaint was not seeing their bosses enough? We like these guys, and it's always sad to see one of them go.

Cons

Occasional slack time in the workflow is scary. The virtual workforce is a mob of hungry freelancers who start coming unglued after a slow week. The jobs always come back, but a little advance warning of an upcoming slow patch would be nice.

Double the sales team and start making crazy promises to potential clients. We need the work.

Growing Rapidly, A Players Only

I worked at Servio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is filled with extremely intelligent people! There is a juicer with fresh veggies and free lunches everyday in the office. There is a command center (yes a command center in the office. Think War Games).

Cons

I was an early employee (#12) and the company has grown a lot. If you like very intimate start-ups Servio is in extreme growth mode with tons of customers.

I started as an intern and advanced to a manager. Overall, this was a common practice.

Positive, HIgh-Energy Environment with Great Tech

I have been working at Servio

Pros

For engineers, the architecture is very advanced. Ruby with high-scalability innards. The sales cycle has gotten much easier as Servio has already sold too a large list of marquee accounts. Free lunches. Lots of laughter. Skyrocketing sales. High transparency. People aren't afraid to ask questions of the CEO at company meetings. Lots of promotion from within. The internship program, in particular, does a great job taking people with low experience and high talent and getting them to great full-time jobs.

Cons

High intensity can be wearing if you're not ready for it. People have a good time and laugh, but you have to bring your A-game every day. They don't hesitate to fire people who can't keep up.