Servio

Add Photos

Alex Edelstein

Great Team and Product

San Francisco, CA

ProsI am no longer with Servio, but parted ways amicably. The CEO and board went out of their way to treat me fairly when I left, and I still keep in touch with many of the friends I made there. To me that says more than anything else. Any tech startup is going to have its drama and personalities, but at the core, the company has an amazing team, and killer product that does many things no other competitor can match.

ConsThe company was extremely dynamic when I was there--though no worse than the typical startup. Some people thrive on that, but it can be frustrating if you're not used to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture was really starting to gel when I left. Keep doing the things you were doing then to build it, and continue to bring in great people.

It's tough when the money runs out

ProsSmart people
    Good leadership
    Decent environment. Very performance-driven and meritorcratic. No politics. If you didn't meet quota, you got fired.

ConsProduct didn't generate enough revenue and the money dried up. That led to unfun layoffs and poor morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeded a sales VP who was less divisive. CEO tried hard, but product just didn't meet a big enough market need.

Great potential ruined by bad apples!

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat technology built by rock star tech team and implemented by a lean and intelligent operations team. Amazing list of clients.

ConsPoor CEO leadership with bad funds management. Sales team always influx due to horriable and corrosive sales leadership. The top leadership and talent have vacated the building. The remaining leadership is nothing but the bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupportive culture and good people are key to success, a far cry from what remains.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful experience all around

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung culture at the individual contributor level.
    Plenty of snacks (healthy and not) in the kitchen.
    great location near ballpark and South Park.

ConsMoral is incredibly low.
    Mismanagement after a good 2012 completely tanked the company, and they let go of a lot of talented people, and many others left on their own accord due to the turmoil.
    Teams were always pitted against each other, resulting in distrust and terrible working relationships.
    Product is not as advertised.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, or bring in experienced leaders

A Very Inspirational Experience

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCTO was great, the team was very encouraging. Hard work was expected, and gladly given. They provided an environment where I could learn as quickly as I could, if I gave it the effort.

ConsMost of the engineers work through lunch.

Incredibly disappointing. I found only dysfunction and personality disorders.

Sales (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThey bought lunch once a week. Got to work in SF. The staff is largely composed of the best of the best.

ConsIf you are looking for a supportive environment for your creative energies - stop. Commissions were threatened not to be paid to key sales staff because the deals were "too big." Most client projects end in over promising and under delivering due to a fundamental lack of scale in the virtual workforce. The sales department is managed by manipulation and intimidation. Departments and staff are pitted against each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn management skills

Interesting product no direction

San Francisco, CA

ProsConsistent pay, friendly environment among peers, a juicer, and free lunches - on Mondays.

ConsNo leadership, unprofessional environment, not a sales friendly environment, and constant infighting.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership skills, learn how to speak to other humans professionally, and do some soul searching.

My Work Family

No Title, Man That's for Squares (Current Employee)
    Pyongyang (North Korea)

ProsI'm part of Servio's virtual workforce, so I don't have much insight into whatever might be going on in the office. Those free lunches sound pretty cool though.

Working with Servio admins is rewarding and frustrating by turns. How many jobs have you had where the workers' chief complaint was not seeing their bosses enough? We like these guys, and it's always sad to see one of them go.

ConsOccasional slack time in the workflow is scary. The virtual workforce is a mob of hungry freelancers who start coming unglued after a slow week. The jobs always come back, but a little advance warning of an upcoming slow patch would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementDouble the sales team and start making crazy promises to potential clients. We need the work.

Growing Rapidly, A Players Only

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is filled with extremely intelligent people! There is a juicer with fresh veggies and free lunches everyday in the office. There is a command center (yes a command center in the office. Think War Games).

ConsI was an early employee (#12) and the company has grown a lot. If you like very intimate start-ups Servio is in extreme growth mode with tons of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI started as an intern and advanced to a manager. Overall, this was a common practice.

Positive, HIgh-Energy Environment with Great Tech

ProsFor engineers, the architecture is very advanced. Ruby with high-scalability innards. The sales cycle has gotten much easier as Servio has already sold too a large list of marquee accounts. Free lunches. Lots of laughter. Skyrocketing sales. High transparency. People aren't afraid to ask questions of the CEO at company meetings. Lots of promotion from within. The internship program, in particular, does a great job taking people with low experience and high talent and getting them to great full-time jobs.

ConsHigh intensity can be wearing if you're not ready for it. People have a good time and laugh, but you have to bring your A-game every day. They don't hesitate to fire people who can't keep up.

Worked for Servio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Servio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Servio CEO Alex Edelstein. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Servio employees.