Sesame Workshop

Jeffrey Dunn
1 Rating

Great children's media organization

I worked at Sesame Workshop

Pros

-Coworkers who care
    -Fun work events (halloween contests, speaker series, etc.)
    -46 years of experience working with children

Cons

Upper management a little disorganized

Lovely place to work.

Former Employee - Digital Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products. Great mission. Good company feeling.

Cons

Many re-orgs. Insecurity because of the constant shakeups.

Give your employees, job security and opportunities to grow. Keep good talent. Nurture good talent. Make more people staff and not just freelance.

NPO culture

I have been working at Sesame Workshop

Pros

beautiful office, very nice people to work with

Cons

slow pace; not energetic enough

leadership should be more risk-taking

Great worker bees, bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time

Pros

Some really wonderful people. The worker bees are especially great to work with and are really passionate about the materials they produce. Great benefits (maternity leave, vacation days). Amazing vision. Bright ideas from young employees wanting to make a difference and being proactive about it.

Cons

There are truly great projects in the works, but many upper management lack leadership AND management skills. A lot of favoritism by one manager leads to hostile department environments. Compensation is based on your manager. Some managers will give promotions and raises based on merit and will "fight for you." Some will base it on the length of time you've been in your current role, regardless of your performance, which leads to lack of innovation from very complacent people not wanting to step out of their comfort zone. Many managers also take their employees for granted feeling that they should "be lucky to be there." Lastly, there is little to no upward mobility.

Fight for your employees. Treat your department kindly and with respect. Compensate those who deserve it based on merit, not length of time.

Some good people, horrible Executive level

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time

Pros

Great Brand, and mission. Get lots of holidays off. Educating the poor, under privileged children is a worthy cause and work towards.

Cons

Executive level strangles the company, creating an environment of top heavy departments. The company has been running like a sorority house, with clear favoritism and people taking credit for work that isn't theirs. The company has a very strong corporate culture, and higher ups suffocate all projects with intense oversight and micromanagement.

Stop the bullying sorority culture. What makes the company great is under the thumb of business people. Start compensating people for the work they do, instead of not giving raises to keep your quarter million dollar plus salary.

Fulfilling experience yet poor compensation

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, passionate and fulfilling.

Cons

People are great to work with but everyone was unhappy about compensation and work/ life balance

The dream to contribute to Jim Henson's most important work and help children all over the world came together in my job

Current Employee - Creative Director of Character Design in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative Director of Character Design in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am able to use every aspect of my professional training as well as my own personal gifts and talents to be a top-level contributor in this mission driven company.

Cons

As with many companies there are political implications that distract and ddisrupt the fulfillment of maximizing what we can truly accomplish.

Be more open to others who truly get what we are doing. Return to focusing on being more creative that corporate focused. Let those who are revealed as truly commited and genuinely creative contribute past the boundaries of their job descriptions and even, as appropriate, subordinate the decisions of the upeer level management for the better ideas that will grow and empower the company with the people who do the actual work and truly uderstand.

Some great people, severely underpaid

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees truly care about the mission of the company and it shows in their work ethic and integrity. They are great, encouraging, fun people to work with.

Cons

Work-life balance can be terrible, the company is undergoing an identity crisis and does not have clear direction as a non-profit education company OR a media company, it will take forever to get a promotion or raise--no matter how much you work your tail off

Pay your employees what we are worth or stop expecting us to run like a for-profit company

Greatest Job Ever!!!

Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The learning experience, I learned most of what i know about the film and television industry and i went on to start a business with the education i received during my 5yrs with them...

Cons

funding for pbs and non-forprofits where hit hard by the morgatege bubble crissis and subsequent market crash which followed.. rendering the corporate structure of the workshop unable to asist in the fashion they are a custum to, essentialy translating into budget for production cuts and layoffs w/restructuring of staff and departments.. This was in 2011 and they have come back stronger for it...

"i wouldn't dare to mess with perfection."

Good experience for interns

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

the majority of the people in the department were welcoming and friendly; the environment was really casual; the directors and VPs in the dept were very open to chatting with the interns; Attending team meetings; paid internship; I was also given the opportunity to network with people in other departments;

Cons

I only interned twice a week so I didn't get a good grasp for the day to day operation; The people in the department should engage with the interns more;