Sesame Workshop

Greatest Job Ever!!!

Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

The learning experience, I learned most of what i know about the film and television industry and i went on to start a business with the education i received during my 5yrs with them...

Cons

funding for pbs and non-forprofits where hit hard by the morgatege bubble crissis and subsequent market crash which followed.. rendering the corporate structure of the workshop unable to asist in the fashion they are a custum to, essentialy translating into budget for production cuts and layoffs w/restructuring of staff and departments.. This was in 2011 and they have come back stronger for it...

"i wouldn't dare to mess with perfection."

Good experience for interns

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop as an intern for less than a year

Pros

the majority of the people in the department were welcoming and friendly; the environment was really casual; the directors and VPs in the dept were very open to chatting with the interns; Attending team meetings; paid internship; I was also given the opportunity to network with people in other departments;

Cons

I only interned twice a week so I didn't get a good grasp for the day to day operation; The people in the department should engage with the interns more;

Carrot on a string.

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time

Pros

Great brand. Good benefits.

Cons

Way too top heavy with a sense of entitlement. Lots of talking in circles. Lots of lifers who have never worked any where else so have no sense outside this brand. Cliquey.

Really need a shake up, culture shift, and clear direction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, slightly inefficient

I worked at Sesame Workshop

Pros

There is a clear vision and strong commitment to the mission of the organization. The teams are constantly coming up with innovative projects that leverage the power of both the Muppet characters and the Sesame brand itself. Being a part of an inspiring and mission-driven organization is fulfilling and satisfying.

Cons

Room for improvement in terms of efficiency and in creating a team-friendly environment. My team was pretty disjointed- between that, top-down management, and tight budgets for projects, it is difficult to get things done in an efficient manner.

Furthermore, lack of success/data metrics contributed to inefficiencies and makes it harder to support the mission in a clear and efficient manner.

Upper management needs to consider what success metrics are most important to them; viewership, literacy rates, testing results, etc.

Good people and nice office environment.

I worked at Sesame Workshop as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I only worked with about 5 people regularly at Sesame but they were all pretty great. I felt there was a nice air of collaboration across departments and the office is a lot of fun if you are a fan of the Sesame Street brand. There were on-going events for staff and regular opportunities to socialize with colleagues.

Cons

There were some feelings of being under-paid and overworked especially among the global departments. The company was restructuring while I was there to integrate international and domestic projects so I am unsure how the restructuring process went and how well it was received.

Great work environment with great people.

I worked at Sesame Workshop

Pros

People are very nice, and friendly. Great job perks

Cons

If you work in production and they are not filming, the days can be a bit slow.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a great brand in terms of it's mission which is to help educate children around the world.
    But that's it! This is a non-for-profit org but how can it be that the CEO Mr. Ming makes over $1K yr? Google it! Oh & Sesame pays for his Manhattan condo as well. Hmm. Is this where your donations go to? Hey Governor Mintz KEEP DIGGING! You'll find a lot! Speak to the former minorities they'll have lots to tell!

Cons

1) Layoffs HAPPEN ALL THE TIME! 2)CEO, Executives (and their assistants) are the only ones getting raises & bonuses. EA to CEO gets a HEFTY $10,000 bonus(give or take). 3)Racism yes racism does take place at Sesame (though HR makes sure they meet the minority quota). 4)HR caters only to top Execs. 5) Promises to give a raise are seldom due to "budget constraints". Don't let the puppets fool you...

The board of Trustees need to take a closer look at what's really happening at Sesame Workshop. The employees are not treated fairly. Bonuses are only fought for upper management and raises are ever so seldom. It's a horrible place to work at if you're not a VP and above. Help the "little people" PLEASE!

Disappointing

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Interesting work. Lots of learning opportunities. Great mission, at least at the surface level. Many interesting, intelligent, and kind colleagues.

Cons

Unequal pay, unequal respect, unequal hours, unequal everything. An internal disregard for education despite being an educational company. The internal culture and priorities do not match the external mission.

Please note that many of your positive reviews come from interns who are around for less than a year. Make an effort to distinguish between talk and action - in particular, distinguish between who is talking and who is doing the work. The company is losing its most talented and passionate young workers.

Amazing Internship with an Incredible Company

Former Employee - Production Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The employees really love the company and are passionate about what they are doing, they are all very personable and create a good workplace environment.

Cons

It's mostly a lot of grunt work, getting coffee and picking up lunch, which is expected from this kind of internship.

Keep up the great work!

Difficult environment to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop

Pros

It is a feel good place in the sense of delivering content and education to children that might otherwise not have access to formal education. People are in general very nice. Some of the departments are fantastic to work at.

Cons

I saw how the Global Education and Outreach team, except a couple of solid professionals, mainly consisted of people without leadership, and solid background to manage a team. Much drama and favoritism, and not much monitoring from the executives. A very difficult director as well.

You might want to check on the office culture and be more involved and inclusive with your workers.

Sesame Workshop Photos

New "Open" Work Environment
New "Open" Work Environment

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sesame Workshop? Contribute to the Community!