Seton Hall University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rev John J. Myers

easy job

Proscoworkers easy to get along with

Conslong hours. training too short

Director of a department at the law school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were generally friendly. The schedule was basically 9-5 with a few later days a month. Great 403b matching. Reduced summer schedule. Salary was competitive good vacation benefit.

ConsUnion made it hard to move or fire people who were not doing their jobs. Pretty rigid hierarchy. Medical benefits could use a bit of updating

Institution of Higher Education with a Catholic Mission in the heart of NJ

Director (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsWork life balance, and ability to learn more bout the Catholic faith. Generous time off benefits

ConsVery political organization, leadership is very self-centered, lacking employee engagement

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to show a true interest in helping employees develop professionally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, not great.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) South Orange, NJ

ProsGreat faculty within department. Students are good with respect to communicating and getting back to professors. Most of the students complete their work on time and are receptive to constructive criticism.

ConsAdjunct pay could be a little better. Need to be higher standards for students, a problem that goes very far back. Academic standards also need raising to restore luster to university.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider increasing the pay for adjuncts to make it more palatable to work there. Archbishop Myers needs to go. He is out of touch with the university's needs (that goes double for his archdiocese).

Great on-campus jobs for students

Calling Crew Student Worker (Former Employee) South Orange, NJ

ProsFlexible schedule. Decent compensation for the work that you do. Opportunities to work extra hours depending on the department you work for. One of the best jobs I've had just because of the additional opportunities I was offered in the admissions department.

ConsPay could have been a little better. No benefits for student-work obviously. Wish on campus jobs were promoted better. Didn't find out about this job until my junior year of undergrad.

Nice job and a fun place to work

Student Technology Assistant (STA) (Former Employee) South Orange, NJ

Pros1. You have liberties creating your schedule
    2. You have liberties with taking breaks on shifts long enough to allow for breaks
    3. You gain technical knowledge on computers, if your a student this is knowledge about your computer
    4. Job is very school oriented, they may not schedule you to work during the time of your classes
    5. On a slow day (such as a Friday) you are allowed to do homework and other things if there are no clients who need service

Cons1. You are limited to 20 hours a week during the semester
    2. As technology keeps on updating you may be need to learn certain things while you are working with clients
    3. Clients can get frustrated at you when they are charged for repairs up to $125

Beautiful campus, decent pay, great benefits

IT Geek (Former Employee) South Orange, NJ

ProsWhen you work at SH, you are literally walking about your customers ... the students, faculty and staff. There is nothing like witnessing a wedding taking place at the chapel from a park bench, or catching a baseball game when walking from your office back to your car.
    Great benefits, lots of time off --

ConsLike anywhere else, the university has it's set of politics. Also, my start pay was lower than I could have gotten at a corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you need to discuss something with an employee, do it. Please don't make your staff email the issue as if the staff member has a problem. Maybe that doesn't happen in all departments. As I've said above, all places have it's set of office/management politics, even Seton Hall.

Lack of respect for the arts but a pleasant faculty

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsStudents are lovely and kind. Many are very connected to the church and are heavily involved in chapel musical services. There is a nice sense of community amongst students who participate in the arts.

ConsStudents in the performing arts are very accepting of mediocrity. Without an environment that encourages hard work and practice, students often end their performance studies in a very similar place to where they started.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeton Hall would benefit from some music and theatre faculty who are more aware of the skill sets expected of recent college grads.

Review of the work as a work study student for Walsh Library

Desk Assistant (Current Employee) South Orange, NJ

ProsEasy Job! Especially in the summer. Clocked in 40 hours on my own schedule and most administrators and supervisors take vacation so there was barely any work for me to do. Mostly worked as a desk assistant answering questions, phone calls, some computer skills needed to work printers.

ConsNo room for promotions, such as work as graduate assistant which other work studies can lead into. Limited amount of money from work study available. Once depleted the max amount, I had to stop working.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more students for better scheduling

It was great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment to be in.

ConsThere are no cons for this.

Worked for Seton Hall University? Contribute to the Community!