Seton Healthcare Network
www.seton.net Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

Seton Healthcare Network Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Seton Healthcare Network – “typical ER room”

Seton Healthcare Network President and CEO Charles J. Barnett

Charles J. Barnett

I enjoy working at Seton!

Patient Access Representative II (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are great. Room for advancement.

ConsSeton is a big company and faces those problems like hiring freezes and layoffs.

Non-profit in name and advertising only

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally get to work with some good people. Benefits and compensation that really benefits anyone who is starting their careers, or for someone who spent their whole, and is in the tail-end, of their career.

ConsThis is basically a corporate company, in the way it's run, and mentality. Technically, you could call it a non-profit, as any profit would go to the exorbitant salary and bonuses - so I guess, after you pay that out, there is no profit. They like to tout that each hospital is a ministry, and that the reason the pay is so low, is that you get the intrinsic benefit of helping those less fortunate. If that's the case, then why is it for a "non-profit" hospital, executive management, make above and beyond the compensation package of FOR -profit companies? Don't they feel the "intrinsic benefit", of working for less pay?

I can only speak of my experience in what was used to be the IT department. As Seton is part of Ascension Health, and as they push for more standardization, Seton is the only one that outsources their IT to Dell (maybe in no small part to the HUGE contribution to the Dell Children's Medical Center, or the fact that the top guy in Seton IT, used to be an Account Manager for Dell)... Hmmm.

There are also incredible inefficiencies in decision making, as usually it'll take months, and go through 6 different project managers, for a "project" just to make a decision, on doing a project. They'll tell you, that you need a project number to have a project, but then when you actually have a project, and ask for information, and give them the project number, they'll say, they can't look up project numbers... LOL

HIPAA... Let's just say, you really need to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to make people go through an employee orientation, in which you spew rhetoric on how you are a catholic organization dedicated to helping people, etc. etc., that should also mean meaning, at the very last, treating your own employees fairly.

Clinical Manager

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFaith based, non for profit

Consno work life balance, average 60-70 hrs week, compensation is not competitive, managers oversee 80+ employees, over sight is more director level,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers help, your not going to be able to sustain if you are constantly replacing middle managers with new managers. Have managers punch the clock for one week and you will be amazed.

American Healthcare Is Broken

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou work only 3 days a week. You get to submit your own schedule. Most of the nurses and doctors, etc were great to work with. You get a few discounts such as gym memberships and cell phone contract discounts. You get to live in Austin, which is a really cool city except for the traffic and high rent for apartments.

ConsAustin under pays nurses big time! You can make much twice as much in Houston or Dallas. I would of tolerated working here if they paid me more. The CEO has over a million dollar salary but cuts jobs and adds more responsibility on to the nurses. Medsurg nursing can burn you out no matter which hospital you work at. Nursing is more about charting than actual patient care. We need to put more emphasis on preventing chronic diseases instead of managing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more competitive salaries like Houston.

Seton Sux

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a job, you will at the least get a pay check.

ConsManagement has absolutely no regard for its' employees and has no morals. My best advise to those seeking a job is to think long and hard before getting married to Seton. You will be used and disillusioned within the first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy the complete set of Patient Care for Dummies.

Full time for 2 years

RN II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than a year

ProsThey do offer self-scheduling and flexibility

ConsThe nursing staff in my department is continually under-staffed and over-worked. The compensation is below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart staffing your departments appropriately for the sake of the patients and your employees!! A little respect please...

Low morale, extremely overworked and blatant lack of respect for employees

Medical Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe co-workers I have are amazing. This is the only reason I still work for Seton.

ConsAfter almost 4yrs at Seton, it has become blatantly clear that staffing/pay issues are ignored. We've been kept at a skeleton crew for almost a year and half. NOT OKAY SETON!! The few of us that remain are beyond overworked. Management is horrible. Do not work here.

The opportunity for career advancement is non-existent. There is no career ladder whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!! We're the ones who see the problems firsthand. Every, and I mean EVERY meeting my co-workers or I have had with management, has fallen on deaf ears.

Not the greatest experience

Rn3 (Current Employee)

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for less than a year

ProsFLEXible self scheduling, some good coworkers

ConsCliques, no management support, heavy patient load

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you take care of your workers they take better Care of patients

Stunted due to lack of professional/career development

Medical Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGratitude from patient's and patient's families validate that you are delivering quality healthcare.

ConsMid-level managers receive little management training, especially lacking in personnel management, and are often not naturally adept at managing. Professional development opportunities are sorely lacking and attempts to finance your own opportunities are actively discouraged. There are no avenues for career development/growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreasure the talent your current associates have to offer. Develop, nurture, grow and promote from within.

The employees were treated like we were expendable

Social Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Seton Healthcare Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPosition's salary was good for the market. They used to have good benefits but started cutting those way back when I left.

ConsEmployees were constantly told they were replaceable and to be happy they had a job. The safety of the environment was very iffy and concerns the employees had about this were not addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee's concerns and don't just brush them off and tell them if they don't like it to go get another job.

Worked for Seton Healthcare Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seton Healthcare Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Seton Healthcare Network CEO Charles J. Barnett. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Seton Healthcare Network employees.