Seton Medical Center Reviews

2.9
Joanne Allen

1. I like the people I

I have been working at Seton Medical Center

Pros

team work, very friendly and supportive staff. The nurses do not eat their young here, they help them grow and are helpful. immediate management is good and supportive.

Cons

The upper administration sends the message that staff are a necessary evil , no concern for retention. One administrator actually said that he could replace any one of us tomorrow! Keep cutting back health benefits, demanding more from staff performance and involvement. Very minatory.

Increase compensation (hourly rates and health care benefits), support staff suggestions

2. Staff Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I worked at Seton Medical Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, opportunities for advancement, uses measurable techniques to determine advancement which encourages transparent and justifiable raises and promotions (aka "The Clinical Ladder"). Has a nursing shared governance which enables non-administrative staff to contribute to certain policies and procedures. Participation in shared governance also enables opportunities to build upon clinical expertise and may be a good spring board into higher education opportunities. Excellent infrastructure; the network composes multiple facilities with various designations (Trauma, pediatrics, stroke) and links those facilities with robust HIE- this is especially useful for retrieving medical history across all facilities (not to mention tracking patients with 'suspicious' presentations.

Cons

No consistency in management across the multiple facilities within the Seton Network. The Clinical Ladder, although is transparent and measurable, is too complex and labor intensive for most full-time nurses to manage. My experience is that the newer facilities have very high administrative and staff turnover and poor staff moral. Since 2012, the network has progressively reduced the benefits offered to clinical staff, such as restricting hours to less than 0.9 FTE, no longer offers annual bonuses for charting compliance, does not pay for continuing education (even the ones they require staff to maintain!), no-cause firing of staff, or shutting down facilities. Pay is competitive, however slightly lower than the other big hospital network in the area. While health reform is drastically affecting hospital profit margins, Seton imposes these hardships when administrative staff continue to be promoted and receive bonuses.... its just a little disheartening.

Pay for continuing education, continue to support and encourage shared governance, do away with the clinical ladder and replace with a simpler and electronic advancement program, provide more opportunities for staff to develop certifications (ie instructor certificates, CENs, etc.),

3. A good place

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Austin, TX

I worked at Seton Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, good work environment, hourly pay

Cons

working evenings and holidays, up in production

5. Fast paced culture with lack of recognition

I have been working at Seton Medical Center

Pros

Experience with hospital setting that will gear you toward a quick acting mind set and provides family like atmosphere.

Cons

Short staffed

Forced to work unwanted hours with little to no guidance or supervision in direct department.

Co-workers who seemed less enthusiastic or interested in the job itself.

Hire people who are smarter than you. Hire individuals who contribute with a desire to work above and beyond for the people they serve.

6. Horrible!

Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Seton Medical Center part-time

Pros

I can't think of any at the moment.

Cons

Lack of accountability and endless red tape. The moment you want in and see the repaired Jesus statue, you feel something is awry..... welcome to 1960.

Advice? Would they suddenly start to listen now?

7. not a place to grow your skills

Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in Daly City, CA

I worked at Seton Medical Center part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

there are none anymore, unfortunately

Cons

too many problems that management will not discuss, or listen to other ways to resolve the issues

listen to your long term employees and staff the units safely

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Seton Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great culture. Superior management. Lots of opportunity. Great turn-around situation

Cons

Limited financial resources for non-clinical programs, but that's a temporary problem and was necessary to turn around the hospital.

9. I loved being a nurse there!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Daly City, CA

I worked at Seton Medical Center part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great schedule, great pay, supportive staff, great doctors. I was able to balance my family life with my work life very easily here. The managers were very good about creating a flexible schedule.

Cons

I think most of the benefits were great... but now there is an unsure future for the hospital, so that's a con

10. terrible

Former Employee - IT Director in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - IT Director in Daly City, CA

I worked at Seton Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros- Everyone is very nice

Cons

The hospital is failing because most of upper management have no business sense, they are terrible leaders, and have no experience managing a multimillion dollar business. The leadership is weak at best. Extremely sad to see a great hospital run into the ground by poor leadership. Hope the new buyer can turn the place around

Please learn the business you work in. Please learn leadership skills. Hold yourself and people accountable

11. Absolutely no room for advancement within this extremely dysfunctional and dated hospital.

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Daly City, CA

I worked at Seton Medical Center part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of my well-meaning and often degraded co-workers. Many are good people stuck in a terrible work environment.

Cons

Completely disconnected from other departments and pretty much an unnecessary part of the healthcare team as a result. Respiratory Therapy doesn't have a manager, or a director (both positions were eliminated during my tenure). This department still has no true leadership to speak of. Seton Medical Center is RN-centric with MD's that are unavailable and with rare exception, disconnected from Respiratory Therapy. As a former employee, I grew tired of rushing about gathering "points" in an effort to justify the existence of my position and to sustain the horribly managed department I was a part of. I could no longer justify running from patient to patient for 12 hours collecting "points," or "RVU's" gained by charting as many things as legally possible (thus dropping charges for the patient). Quality healthcare?! Not a chance. Speaking up to provide quality care and/or taking a stand for the betterment of the patient only gains you disfavor, "don't rock-the-boat" mentality/commentary/gossip, and unfavorable working conditions - or not being acknowledged at all. Enough was enough for me.

Horrible staffing situation with ridiculous hours/cancelation policies. Insane.

Seton Medical Center is in a terrible position and has is in such a position for good reason. Institutions like this one is exactly why Healthcare reform is an absolute must.

Wake up!