SevOne Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
4.2
SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney

Pros
  • Overall, SevOne has positive atmosphere, and it certainly does carry 'Culture of Awesome' (in 7 reviews)

• Company events are a nice touch (bi-weekly lunches, free ice cream in the summer, etc) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no reward program, no incentives, just a lot of work (in 2 reviews)

• New CEO slowly replacing existing management and bringing on his own crew (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

The absolute best job I've ever had

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was hands down, the absolute best place to build my career. The people are fantastic, and the culture is like any other I have ever experienced. I left the company because of a personal relocation, and miss it every day. You have the opportunity to learn so much in a very fast paced environment. The atmosphere is very relaxed with a total "work hard, play harder" mentality from the top down. There's no place like it!

Cons

Due to the fast growth, communication from the management team to the masses can be a little slow or non-existent. However, this was absolutely just due to growing pains and was being improved greatly!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and just keep the masses informed!

2. Supply Chain Management

Current Employee - Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst

I have been working at SevOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SevOne is unlike any company I have worked at. The culture here is truly unique. The company is rapidly expanding but management still ensures each employee is given the chance to make their own experience at SevOne special. Constant initiatives to improve our customer satisfaction shows the desire to grow as a leader in industry. Management has taken a particular interest in ensuring employee satisfaction as SevOne continues to grow. Working for two fortune 100 companies before coming here I can truly say that my voice is heard and makes a difference at SevOne.

As a new employee I was given the power to control and change processes and I have never been micromanaged. There isn't bureaucratic red tape and employees are given the training and tools to succeed.

Cons

In comparison to some of the larger companies I have worked at the 401K match and health benefits aren't as competitive... more in line with a smaller size company (which we are). The current building is somewhat old and know longer has any wow factor. The move to the STAR campus located in the heart of University of Delaware's campus will resolve these issues with a state of the art facility. I think future candidates and customers will be blown away by the new space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work to ensure employees are motivated. As the company grows ensure we don't throw away the key building blocks that attracted employees to SevOne in the first place. As long as we continue to hire talented people this company should continue on the road to success.

Going from startup to legit corporation means growing pains.

I have been working at SevOne

Pros

You are surrounded by some very smart people: the best of the best. This gives anyone who has the desire to improve their skills a great opportunity.

Cons

Growing pains are tough. That's why they call them pains. Sometimes it hurts enough for people to quit and move on to something easier. There are also high expectations so if you don't prove your worth you will be sent packing.

Advice to Management

Not everything can be measured. There are intangibles. If you don't know these intangibles you are not taking advantage of hidden talent and you may also unfairly judge someone based on what some chart says.

Great until Bain

Former Employee - Web Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people.

The people at SevOne are fantastic. Some of the most talented and driven individuals I have ever met. I became a better developer just from being around the people at SevOne. Ok, so some aren't the best technically, but that's what's so great about SevOne: we help each other out, learn from each other, and inspire each other.

Cons

tl;dr - Tech is grade a crap. Management is machiavellian. No future.

At first SevOne had the look and feel of a startup. Cool people, lots of collaboration, always new projects going on...basically everything a young developer would want. Management was cool as long as they saw results.

And then the Bain grant. At first, this looked to be a beneficial for everyone. There was a lot of talk of upward mobility, and at first, this even happened for a lucky few. After the first round of hiring in house, it never happened again in terms of development. Around this time I had picked up a story for a few new interfaces that needed to be completed. This was the last project I worked on where I wrote new, novel code. Around this same time, a remote office overseas was added, and working on new projects stopped for us. The codebase very steadily declined in quality, and we found ourselves working on bugs caused by the overseas office. Towards the end of my employment I was working on prefects for a version that we weren't even going to release for another year. At that point, management had clearly fallen into a state of complete disarray. No communication at all about what was happening, no instruction on what to do, and asking questions was heavily looked down on.

If you are thinking of pursuing a career at SevOne, don't. When I left, it was easily one of the most hostile work environements I have ever worked in. It doesn't matter how much work you put in, it doesn't matter how good you are, it doesn't matter how nice/polite/professional/<insert adjective here> you are. At SevOne you're just a developer. To everyone above you, you're the reason the company is failing, you're the reason customers are threatening to leave, you're the reason for <insert some failure of the company here>.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to developers back home. You have (well, had) some of the best talent in the region. They are (some were) the most passionate individuals you will ever meet. They want to make a great product, cool technology to work with, and recognition for what they've done.

We are what builds the product that gives you a job, and thus feeds your family. Without us, you're worthless. I understand this is true to some degree for you too (I'm certainly not a sales person), but the difference in treatment between departments is just disgusting.

You pat us on the back, and we'll pat you on the back. Until then, you will fail.

How to fail at growing your company

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment
    Lots of great and bright people
    Very exciting potential
    Used to be an awesome place to work

Cons

Most of the best talent has left or is leaving
    Excessive amounts of red tape
    Management keeps growing and largely incompetent
    Compensation is below industry standard
    Several outsourced engineers are unskilled and not held accountable

Advice to Management

Slow down for a minute and start listening to your engineers. They're unhappy and they're your only hope for the product's future.

SevOne Response

Apr 24, 2015Recruitment Team

Thank you for your feedback and advice to management. Hopefully, the recent All Hands Meeting provided clarity on our strategy to become more transparent. We, as a company, want to earn your ... More

7. Great learning experience!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really relaxed environment, where if you get your work done, no one gives you a hard time for working on personal projects. I think it's the people who make working here fun. Everyone is pretty smart and super helpful and want to see you succeed here.

Cons

As would be the case with any company going through rapid growth, there is constant change. This can get frustrating at times when we have to backpedal on process level decisions. Also, placement of unnecessary items in commonly used areas.

Advice to Management

Communicate in a more approachable and periodic manner, rather than having long quarterly town hall meetings.

Be Careful....

I worked at SevOne

Pros

Fast paced, dynamic environment. Growing company.

Cons

Turn and burn mentality
    Team approach with a select few
    Me too product

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

SevOne Response

Apr 23, 2015Recruitment Team

It’s good to hear that you enjoyed the fast paced, dynamic environment of SevOne! We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t feel valued as an employee and we wish you the best in your next position.

9. Opportunities and growing pains

Former Employee - Support in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Support in Wilmington, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment and people are great. Wear whatever you want. Many events. Expanding a lot.

Cons

Growing pains. No standardization. Management iffy. Salary average. Big investment guys may change shape of company. Will go public one day

Advice to Management

Find standardization.

10. I worked as an intern with SevOne. I learnt a lot within a short period of time.

Current Intern - Software Engineer
    Current Intern - Software Engineer

I have been working at SevOne as an intern

Pros

Work life balance is good and technically you learn and gain a lot.

Cons

I think more training would be required for fresher positions.

Good

The Job I always wanted.

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is very challenging and it can be frustrating but it is a good thing. I have learned so much from the team in just 6 months. The atmosphere is the best that I have ever worked in. We have a good time but work very hard. Lot of us are family orientated and the management respects that. This is the only place I have ever worked that everyone works together and not trying to bring each other down. Everyone is trying to succeed together.

Cons

Be prepared to hit the ground running. As with many young companies lots of processes are getting ironed out and this can be frustrating. Training can be a challenge but I know its something that is being addressed.

Advice to Management

I hope that management does not forgot what made the company succusful in its early years. The culture works and if you change it for share holders or let a bad seed ruin it for everyone. Then SevOne will be just like any other company and not the one that it is now.