Sevatec

Sonny Kakar

Sevatec, Inc. review.

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Sevatec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work as a federal contractor.

Cons

Working on a contract vs. a permanent position.

Give employees an opportunity to advance in their careers.

Great Company Culture

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sevatec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company culture is fun. Everyone works hard and plays hard. People are friendly and are always willing to help out. The company moved into a new corporate headquarters and it is beautiful. I enjoy going to the facility for meetings and corporate functions/community service events.

Cons

Our client has a lot of meetings which takes up a lot of time that could be better used. The atmosphere at the client site is not always collaborative.

Thank you very much for allowing me to work for a great company. Keep up the visits to the staff at the client sites.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sevatec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work at with a lot of talented good people. Sevatec has been moving in the right direction and continues to win key work and execute at a high level. Benefits are solid. Corporate culture is relaxed but professional. Support of local charities is nice.

Cons

Could spend more money on the infrastructure of the company - IT Support, phone systems, internet bandwidth, office supplies/printers, etc...

Put more money back into the company and employees in the way of Certifications, Training, and Bonuses. Recognize your good employees before it's too late.

Professionally Satisfying-Great Talent

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sevatec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sevatec has always focused on their talent. The company understands that the talent they provide to their clients and partners separates them from the rest. Customer Satisfaction, Employee Satisfaction and Completion of tasks/projects with excellence are the norm with this aggressively growing company.
    Recognition, appreciation, and high levels of performance are practiced with every initiative. Executives are responsive and diligent about meeting and exceeding expectations.

Cons

Meetings about meetings! Tons of information come out in these meetings that allow us to be on the same page and lead to very detailed information.

Continued appreciation of staff! Continued enthusiasm! Continued Growth!
    Kudos to the executive team for instilling qualities and expectations to reach higher levels professionally. Continue to promote from within!

Looking for career growth? Move on.

I worked at Sevatec as a contractor

Pros

They pay well. Personality-wise everyone was nice to work with. Corporate believes they are doing right by their employees.

Cons

They seem to discourage out-of-the-box thinking. Additionally, don't expect to have a job once your contract ends.

Upper management loves to make promises. In my experience I could not trust them. Generally speaking, every promise made was not followed up on. In some cases it felt as though they outright lied to employees, attempting to keep people engaged.

Also, since they have no intent of keeping most folks long-term, there's no incentive to grow their employee's skill sets. Don't expect training budgets. Expect your skills will grow antiquated unless you keep them sharp on your own.

Finally, due to size, and a hunger to compete with the big-boys, they take on contracts simply to grow their portfolio. Never mind the quality of the project. Beware, you could be placed on a contract doomed to fail. If that's the case, don't expect upper management will do much to right the ship, until it's almost sunk. You'd think it would be in their interest to salvage business relationships. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Invest in your employees. Grow skill sets. Realize that you might be a stronger company if you're not constantly churning and ramping-up staff. Also, be honest, and stop making promises. Keep HR engaged. They seemed totally disconnected.

Communicate often with your PMs and engage. If there are issues, do something about them. Don't let projects flounder until their situations are so dire there's no hope of fixing them.

Great Company - Full of Potential and Possibilities

I worked at Sevatec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEO has an open door policy, knows everyone by their first name, personally writes birthday greetings to all employees, encourages everyone to think outside the box, leads by example and fully believes in the meaning of "Seva" – a lifelong commitment to serving others. HR Department has a wonderful team that goes above and beyond to help employees...a great company to work for and be a part of.

Cons

Haven't had any problems to deal with...

Improve on communication channels..

As good as the length of the government contract

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sevatec as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Life as a Federal contractor is always a short term opportunity; the benefits and salary are great; annual holiday party is the only real exposure to the actual company

Cons

Door probably will close at the end of the contract. I worked at the job site and had no real need to visit the office. My manager (handler) came out to visit me once a quarter.

Offer sustainable services you generate not what is contracted - diversify!

Growing company with hardworking and dedicated staff

I have been working at Sevatec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Growing company with ample room for professional development.
    -Work hard and you'll be recognized.
    -Moving soon to brand new headquarters.

Cons

-Expected to work long hours with no comp time.
    -Deadlines on the weekend and/or around holidays.

Keep up the good work. Always a great time at the Friday lunches!

Surreal

I worked at Sevatec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- You quickly develop the ability to be completely self-sufficient with no support from corporate- since you don't have anyone to depend on for anything, you're able to become an even more independent person!
    - The consistently unreliable communication and erroneous (and constantly changing) information (this includes the entire employee handbook) always keeps you on your toes and contributes to your ability to adjust to unstable and stressful environments!
    - Since you're unable to depend on anything that's said, even if it's in writing, as generally everything is either false or wildly inaccurate, you develop the ability to live in a place where propaganda is the main form of communication!
    - As even cost-of-living increases are difficult to get (raises for the minions are out of the question), you're able to become incredibly creative with your finances!

Cons

-Sevatec operates like a small start-up company in the sense that basic business processes aren't established - you're told they are, but in reality, it's all based on the whim of senior leadership in whether or not to implement it. Dangerous practice.
    -Per the above, it is nearly impossible to grow in the company if you are assigned to a client site. It doesn't matter if you end the drug trade in Mexico, or save the rainforest, you will be told that the competency ratings "Aren't set in stone, and won't be fully developed for another five years." Most people aren't willing to wait five years for a promotion.
    -No long-term focus or recognition that developing employees (through mentoring, education, training, etc.) contributes to the success of the company. Very short-term vision.
    -Lack of SME utilization - when you have highly-specialized SME's in sought after fields, tapping them for strategic issue prioritization and business development would serve to establish Sevatec as a thought-leader and innovator. See above regarding short-term vision. This will impact their ability to compete in burgeoning fields.
    -Tragic benefits that aren't comparable to competitors in the area.
    -Ongoing senior leadership turnover in the past couple of years. Maybe they know something?

Implement the employee handbook. Implement the competency ratings. Follow through on written assurances to employees. Develop a long-term strategic vision.

Business Analyst/Data Analyst - Sevatec

I worked at Sevatec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The HR person was very kind and considerate

Cons

After being given a formal offer letter and waiting approximately three months for my security clearance to process, I was told that my position had not received funding. Although the HR person was nice, I have never been treated with such utter disrespect professionally.

Approximately six weeks into the security clearance, I met with an ATF agent who told me I would be granted me reciprocity based on a previous clearance. The HR person assured me "that my start date would be given to me soon." This never happened and I am currently without employment.

If you are considering taking an interview with this company, don't. They're highly unprofessional and immoral.

Don't interview people, give them an offer letter, and then tell them that the funding is not being issued.