Seven Step RPO
www.SevenStepRPO.com Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Seven Step RPO Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Beth Gilfeather

Pros:
  • "Big name clients, leaders in industry, recession stable clients"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You can learn a lot from client meetings when they come into the office"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Did you know that Boston is one of the highest cost of living cities in the United States"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The salary is strictly entry level compensation with no room for negotiation"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

experience can differ vastly from team to team and account to account

Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- pretty good benefits once they kick in
    - good entry-level job where you'll learn some useful things
    - not a bad job to have coming out of college or a service industry position

Cons- stressful work environment- bullpen can get very loud, amenities are terrible
    - depending on the team/account you're on your experience can really vary- I was lucky enough to be on a few good teams, but I also worked with some really incompetent people
    - on that note, some of the promotion decisions are really confusing
    - as many have said- you can feel like you're being babysat
    - high turnover rate
    - low compensation how much you can have to handle

Advice to Senior Management- focus less on the micromanaging and promote a better work environment
    - take a serious look at who you're promoting

How many* have made $30k in Boston and lived to tell the tale? (*not supported by/living with their parents)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKudos to the marketing team for writing positive reviews. The timeliness and over-selling are A+.

In all seriousness, there are some wonderful people who work and have worked here - some victims of economic downturn, others of Stockholm syndrome - and you can form meaningful relationships and learn if you're placed on the right team. You do (or used to, at least) get to work for high-profile clients and make solid networking connections.

ConsSSR is basically the District 12 of RPO - you've got your sad citizens (employees), your Effies (middle management), and The Capitol (senior management). Between the micromanagement, lack of sick days (say goodbye to PTO), and "benefits," this place is basically a post-apocalyptic career nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't insult your employees' intelligence. Some of you truly believe in your service and your employees, but unfortunately that is overshadowed by those consumed by ego and bottom line.

Waste of time!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation.

There really isn't anything positive about this.

ConsWhere do I even begin?...

-Terrible pay! You start off with making $13/hour and after 3 months of working, your salary goes up to $15. You can basically get a full-time job working at a fast-food restaurant with that salary.
    -Benefits. Nothing special about them.
    -Most importantly, the PTO is AWFUL!!! Plan on using your time wisely. If you have a doctor's appointment - book it on the weekends or early in the morning. If you are sick - take an Advil and suck it up. Death in the family? Forget it. You don't even get bereavement. You have to accrue your time off and it's only 4 hours every paycheck.
    -Management is dumb as rocks. Whomever decided to promote these people to become Team Manager's must lack knowledge. While you are slaving away and working your butt off, your Team Manager is most likely playing Candy Crush on their iPhone or micromanaging your work. It baffles me to know that we are all grown adults and these so called "managers" are here to criticize us and tell us how to write an email, which we all should've known how to do when we were Freshmen in college.
    - The promotion process is a joke. They will pick and chose people to promote to Lead's and Senior's because they feel they did a good job organizing their desk or spoke to a client professionally.
    -The company is trying to make things better by providing flex hours to its employees and new coffee machines in the kitchen. But in reality, this place sucks. Coming here was the biggest waste of my time. I felt like I was working as a slave more than as a human being.

Oh and by the way, ask for snow gear for Christmas because the next giant snow storm there is in Boston you WILL be required to come in and trek though 15 feet of snow, unplowed roads and -23 windchill.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place for gossip, ego's and high turnover rate

ProsYou can learn some basic recruiting skills and work for some large client accounts depending where they place you.

ConsThis company's high turnover rate is do to the fact that it is entry level salary which does not justify the amount of pressure and work they put you through. The benefits are lousy. Other recruiting companies offer better benefits in Boston, and there is a high multitude of different recruiting firms in the city. There are NO sick days, so if you're saving up for vacation force yourself to come work even if you have Pnuemonia for crying out loud, or you will lose your PTO time. Senior management who has been their since the company started in 2007 have their power trips and expect new employees and the lead recruiters to kiss up and sip the "Company Kool-aid" and expect them to stick around for the long haul. Most of them are like politicians; they act like they are for the people but are not really genuine. The structure of the office is segmented so you're not gaining experience in the REAL world of recruiting where you manage the full cycle of recruitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice and I'd like to see the turnover rate worsen to point where the company can't operate and lose clients.

I'm honestly surprised no one's made the connection between the nickname "SSR" and Soviet Russia

Sourcing (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSeven Step USED to be an awesome place to work. It went down quickly once some talented people left and now they're losing clients and talent left and right.

You can learn a lot in a year or two and then get a legit job in recruiting and make double.

Cons-The environment is cool at first but then you realize it sucks. You realize the only reason you're in an open environment is so they can monitor everything you're doing.
    -They mask every bad thing they do to you by buying you beer and pizza.
    -I worked during a hurricane and multiple snow-storms. The only day we ever got off was the marathon bombing and even then, you were expected to work from home.
    -NO ONE CARES about you.
    -They're losing all their major accounts.
    -Everyone good is leaving which means everyone else has to take on their work because these cheap-os won't hire.
    -You don't even get sick time, you have to take it our of your vacation time.

To summarize, this place is hemorrhaging talent faster than the Titanic took on water. Get out QUICK if you haven't yet. You don't want to be Jack trying to hold onto that door.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees.

Bottom of the barrel

Prosif you are in desperate need for a job, you will get hired here as long as you have a pulse
    if you are new to the city, you'll meet a few cool people killing time at this job before starting their real careers

Consthis place is ridiculous!!!

NO sick days. if you want to stay home sick you need to use your vacation time (that is, if you have any earned). there is also no option to work from home on these days.

very, very tedious work. you do not learn to be a recruiter, you learn to be a robot. its just calling candidate after candidate and pre-screening them.

its all very high school. there are actual cliques. only difference is that high school comes with a lot more freedom and a lot less babysitting.

they promote people on a random basis and most managers are too clueless to acknowledge the good work of overlooked employees.

Advice to Senior Managementget a real job.

Great Starting Point for Your Career

Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSeven Step is filled with young people so the environment is fun and lighthearted. Everyone supports one another to help them reach their goals. I was fortunate to be on a high producing team with almost all Leads, meaning that I had several people willing to teach me things at any point that I was confused. I only received light suggestions when I did something wrong and always received a great deal of recognition for my small accomplishments. This is a great entry level position where you can be promoted into a Lead relatively quickly or if you choose to leave the company, you'll have acquired important skills in the recruiting industry. Another great thing is that they just added Flex hours, so for those of us who get stuck on the train or would love to sleep in a few extra minutes, you can adjust your lunch break or the time you leave (not sure if this is true on all accounts).

ConsThe workload varies greatly with the needs of the account, so some weeks you may be bored out of your mind moving candidates around in the ATS and other weeks you'll be working overtime and ripping your hair out due to unresponsive or over-responsive hiring managers. This also means that people move from team to team relatively frequently; this occurs due to the large number of promotions as well. We have the layout of a call center, so you must be comfortable with many people talking at once as well as many people listening (not always a bad thing). If you do get an incompetent recruiter on your team, it can be extremely difficult to compensate and you often have to make up for their lack of common sense (fortunately the teams move around often).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recognizing accomplishments, continue to keep things fun, find some projects for when things slow down (productiveness keeps people focused).

Know What You're Getting Into

Boston, MA

Pros- Great for right out of college and no experience
    - Learning the recruitment process
    - Big company names (easier for recruiting candidates and for moving to in-house recruiting for a career move)
    - Likely be promoted to "Lead" position in about a year and Manager at 2-4 year tenure
    - Easy fo lateral moves to try out different roles

Absolutely loved my manager. She was super supportive and was the deciding factor in me accepting the offer to join.

ConsNo real cons for me. I went in with a informed decision from Glassdoor reviews.

Advice to Senior Management- Fire more people... Yep, that's an advice more companies should practice. Open and crowded enviornment as the place is, toxic people will drag down entire teams.

- Slow down the promotion rate. People expect to be promoted by putting in their time. Some do deserve the promotions, I saw a few "rock stars" being promoted in 5-6 months time and they defnitely deserved it. Others are a bit resentful while the quiet ones get looked over at times.

- Pay people market rate when they're ramped up. Glassdoor salary info is accurate, which means salary is probably about 10k less than market rate for a top performer. There's a lot of investment from a company to get a person from 0-40 or 0-60, why lose out on that investment when there's greater returns ahead? Team mates took other offers because it was close to a 50-60% increase from current salary, that's too large of a gap.

- Change "Lead" title to "Senior". I remember one Manager was the only person on an account. One of my teams had almost all "Leads". The title doesn't make sense unless they are a team lead.

Great opportunity for those willing to work for it

Recruiter (Current Employee)

ProsYou will learn a lot about the Recruitment Industry
    Honest and real time feedback accelerate your growth
    Training opportunities
    If you work hard and maintain a positive attitude and willingness to learn, you will be rewarded
    The company tries to promote a fun culture by having quarterly parties, contests and best of all, new FLEX HOURS!

ConsSince they hire entry level people, the pay is a bit low to start
    The other younger employees seem a bit jaded at times about how businesses work in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees as the demands increase
    Consider increasing the starting wage

Great place to learn. You need to work hard to advance

ProsGreat training.
    Really good clients.
    Overall, can be fun and challenging at the same time
    You can learn a lot from client meetings when they come into the office
    Medical, Dental and Vision are only $25.00 per month for single employees

ConsManagements evaluation of the people can sometimes be off in my opinion.
    Compensation is low to start but there are good increases.
    Benefits kick in at 90 days.
    PTO policy is a bit confusing.
    OT is managed very strictly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on the culture of working hard and being productive but evaluate your top players better.

Worked for Seven Step RPO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seven Step RPO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Seven Step RPO CEO Beth Gilfeather. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Seven Step RPO employees.